Home > Money > Sanjeev Govila

Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help


Sanjeev Govila

Financial Planner 

441 Answers | 43 Followers

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to armed forces officers and their families.
He has over 12 years of experience in financial planning and is a SEBI certified registered investment advisor; he is also accredited with AMFI and IRDA.... more

Answered on Feb 10, 2024

Hi, I am investing 3.5 lacs every month in small and mid cap SIP for the last 2 years. My son will be going to study abroad. Should I fund his education from the MF or should I take a student loan and not touch the MF?
Ans: Deciding between using your mutual fund investments or a student loan for your son's abroad education requires more details like estimated education cost, living expenses, travel expenses, etc.

By considering your inputs, here are some pros and cons:-

Using portfolio for education:-

Pros:- As you have been investing in a mutual fund for the last 2 years, assume that your portfolio is generating potentially higher returns compared to loan interest rates, and in the long-term horizon (5-7 years) your portfolio becomes stabilized and the compounding helps to creates a good corpus for your future goals.

Cons:- If you withdraw the portfolio now, it will affect the compounding and the generated capital gain is taxable & it may also incur the exit load. In the short-term horizon, fluctuating markets might impact the value of the portfolio, potentially falling short of education costs.

Take Education Loan:-

Pros:- Lower interest rates are set off with the portfolio returns and it also provides suitable repayment options. It offers benefits like tax deductions.

Cons:- Add the financial burden on you, if you repay the loan and if your son repays the loan it becomes a debt for him after the completion of education but it also creates a sense of responsibility for your son and he experiences how to manage the finances.

We have explained you to the pros and cons of taking an education loan or using a portfolio for the same. To decide the same please calculate the estimated cost of education and also consider the portfolio return and education loan interest rate.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024


Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 22, 2023Translate
Hi sir, I am 32 year old earning 42 LPA. I have 20 lakhs invested in stocks, 17 lakhs in mutual funds, 13 lakhs in PF, 3 lakhs in PPF, 2 lakhs in govt. bonds and 12 lakhs in FD. I want to retire by 45 with monthly pension of 2 lakhs post tax growing 7% annually. What should be my corpus amount and how should I invest per month in above instruments to reach it.
Ans: To achieve your retirement goal of a monthly pension of Rs 2 lakhs post-tax, growing at 7% annually, you'll need to calculate the required corpus. For this, I’m unable to let you know your exact corpus amount since I have no information about your current expenses, risk tolerance, life expectancy and other financial goals.

With assumptions like an 85-year life expectancy and an aggressive risk profile, you might need around Rs 7.75 crore at retirement (age 45). This considers a 7% inflation rate and 13% pre-retirement returns.

Right now, you have Rs 67 lakhs saved, split between equity and debt. However, solely relying on these might only sustain your desired lifestyle till age 60 only. To make sure you have enough until 85, you need to invest an additional monthly investment (SIP) of around Rs 1 Lakh along with your existing investments of Rs. 67 Lakhs. Also, slowly build up an emergency fund equal to 6 months of your expenses.

The response to your query is based on limited information and consulting a financial advisor is highly recommended. He/she can create a personalized plan considering your expenses, risk tolerance, and other goals. There are some free financial calculators (for retirement planning) available on google, you can also refer to the same for the calculation.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024


Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Hello Sir,My name is Girish aged 38 years and I have been going through your suggestions on the MF.I have started SIP in the following mutual funds.1. ICICI Prudential Bluechip Fund (G) - investing since a month - 5,000 per month 2. SBI Blue Chip Fund (G) - investing since a month - 5,000 per month 3. HDFC Balanced Advantage Fund - Direct Plan (IDCW) - investing since 14 months - 2,000 per month4. Nippon India Large Cap Fund - Regular Plan (G) - investing since 2 months - 2,000 per month 5. Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund - Direct Plan (G) - investing since 2 years - 2,000 per month 6. UTI MNC Fund - Direct Plan (G) - investing since 14 months - 2,000 per month I would like to know if my portfolio is good. I will be planning to invest for the next 10-15 years. What would be the corpus at the end of 15 years?Do you foresee any changes to be made in my portfolio? Please suggest.
Ans: It's great that you're investing your monthly surplus in SIPs to build your wealth.

You have a well-diversified portfolio and the funds in your portfolio are performing well in the current market scenario. In the finance planning of any portfolio, we consider many factors, including client age, risk profile, current asset allocation, etc.

All mentioned funds are performing good and have good potential in long-term. However, UTI MNC Fund - Sectoral funds focus on a specific sector or industry and it is difficult to predict which sector will perform and how long. Hence, we recommend to go for diversified funds to avoid the concentration risk
If you continue the monthly investment of Rs 18,000 for the next 15 years the accumulated corpus will be 89.92 lakhs approx. at the average growth rate of 12% for 15 years.
Note - the amount may get differ at that time as the actual return can be vary.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 30, 2023Translate
Hello sir, My age is fiifty and jave invested a capital of 39 lacs in mutual funds , 28 lacs in post office instruments. will be retiring at an age of 55 to 58. years. Can you suggest me the approximate capital value that i amy accumulate thro ugh my invested amount after 10 years to ahve an monthly income of 1 lacs or so. Invested amount: SBI Blue chip SBI Equity and Hybrid fund SBI Flexi cap fund SBI Contra fund Kotak emerging equity fund HDFC Fexicap fund HDFC MID Cap opportunities fund ICICI Banking and financial services fund HSBC infra structure DSP Mutual fund
Ans: As per your query, you require Rs 1 lakh per month (today’s cost) after retirement. Considering inflation to maintain same purchasing power you would be requiring around Rs 1.58 lakh per month approximately. Thus assuming you will be retiring at 58 and life expectancy till age 75, you require bulk investment of 1.38cr as on date assuming inflation 6% and expected return of 10%.

The amount invested as on date for MF and Post office scheme is around 67 lakhs approx., if the same grows at an average of 8% it will be 1.24Cr (but same can vary based on nature of investment in post office scheme) thus you are deficit in current time for the aforesaid goal, same can be fulfilled by SIP of Rs 90 K for next 8 years, otherwise you will fall short of money for later years of monthly income required.

The suggestion on investment avenues and choice of product also depends on further aspects such as risk appetite, asset allocation and cashflows etc. Prima facie your portfolio seems concentrated in similar fund houses that further not suitable for maintaining well diversification reducing overall risk.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 01, 2023Translate
Hi Mr. Parikh, I am 41 yr male. I have a monthly MF contribution of 14K: 1. Mirae Asset Tax (G)- 2000/m 2. Quant Tax Saver (G)-2000/m 3. Canara Robeco Tax Plan (G)-2000/m 4. Parag Parikh Tax Saver (G)- 2000/m 5. Nippon India Multi Cap (G)- 1000/m 6. PGIM India Mid Cap (G)- 2000/m 7. Quant Flexi Cap (G)- 2000/m 8. Quant BFSI Fund (G)- 1000/m 9. NPS contribution- 50000/yr I have LIC of 6 Lakhs SA, a Term plan of 25 Lakhs & a Health Plan of 25 Lakhs. Sir, I have the future commitments coming: a) Daughter's 12+ Education starting in 2028. b) Daughter's Marriage in 2040. c) Post retirement commitments. (after 2037). Sir, I am Ok with taking risk as my horizon is for long term. Sir, please suggest some more MF as I want to add another 6000/m to make it 20K/m. Please evaluate my current portfolio and suggest names of new MF to invest. Thanks
Ans: Currently, your portfolio is overly diversified in a similar category funds (ELSS), although the funds are well performing and have delivered decent returns till date. The ongoing SIPs in these funds will help you in accomplishing your goals along with tax savings but we recommend you to reduce the funds to two. The other funds in your portfolio are also fundamentally strong and decent performers. Hence, we recommend you to not introduce new funds in your portfolio and allocate the additional SIPs amount in the existing funds.

For your post retirements commitments, NPS is a good investment asset class as it will maintain your cashflows. You also have a decent health insurance for medical uncertainties but I recommend you to increase the term plan to 1 Cr.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 16, 2024Translate
Hi I'm 28 years old with 1 kid as of now will plan 2nd after 3 years, I want to build a decent education and marriage corpus for children, planning to take flat in 2024 year end , my salary is 1.2lakh p/m Currently my investment are as follows Mutual fund - 3.5lakh lumsump in 4 funds Quant infrastructure 50k Pgim india mid cap 1lk Hdfc s&p bse 500 1lk ICICI prudential comodity 1lk Started NPS of 25k yearly payment since 2023 I need more suggestions My target is have some decent education fund for children and decent fund for children marriage
Ans: It's commendable that you're already planning for your children's education and marriage and taking steps to build their corpus. Based on the details you've provided.
Your current portfolio seems sufficiently diversified across various fund categories, including mid-cap, large-cap, commodity, and NPS. However, it is worth reviewing their performance and suitability for your goals.

• Investments should be allocated based on each child's specific goals, considering timelines and child-specific mutual funds with longer horizons for education

• If you have good research skills and risk tolerance, consider adding direct equity for higher returns. Remember, this carries a higher risk.

• Even a small increase can significantly impact your corpus over time due to compounding. If possible, try to increase your monthly investments

• It is important to regularly review your portfolio's performance and adjust your asset allocation as needed to maintain your desired mix.

Answered on Feb 06, 2024

Hello Hardik Bhai I am at 54 years in MNC. My monthly take home ~ ₹1.4 lacs + I have 2 flats that fetch rental income of ₹ ~ 50000/-. PF accumulation is around 60 lacs. Have home emi of 61000/- monthly and I am in a government flat (my wife government employee she has another 7 years of service). Make all effort to ensure that her salary is not touched.. have a daughter at 22 years. Based on her academic appetite and success have earmarked ~50 lacs for her higher education. Have investment in equity 15 lacs worth and gold around 50 lacs. Assuming I retire in another 6-7 years, how much I should ensure monthly income to maintain a present standard of of life without dependency. Your views on mutual fund etc. will be appreciated.. Thanks
Ans: Considering your profile and aspirations, here's a strategic overview:-

1. Current Income and Assets:
Monthly take-home: ?1.4 lacs
Rental income: ?50,000/-
PF accumulation: ?60 lacs
Equity investment: ?15 lacs
Gold holdings: ?50 lacs
2. Liabilities:- Home EMI: ?61,000/-
3. Future Goals and Commitments:- Daughter's higher education fund: ?50 lacs
4. Retirement Plans:- Target retirement in 6-7 years

Considering your retirement goal, let's outline a strategic approach:-

Monthly Income Requirement:- Assess your current monthly expenses and lifestyle to determine the income needed to maintain your standard of living. Factor in inflation for accurate projections.

Investment Diversification:- Given your time horizon, consider a balanced portfolio across mutual funds, including equity and debt. Diversification helps manage risk.

PF Utilization:- Evaluate the possibility of utilizing PF wisely for retirement income. Understand withdrawal rules and tax implications.

Real Estate Planning:- Given your rental income and property assets, review their potential for contributing to your retirement income.

Daughter's Education Fund:- Ensure your earmarked amount aligns with the expected cost of her education. Consider investment options with a medium-term horizon.

Risk Management:- Review your insurance coverage, including health and life insurance, to safeguard against unforeseen circumstances.

Financial Planner Consultation:- Engage with a certified financial advisor to create a detailed retirement plan. They can tailor strategies based on your unique situation and goals.

It's essential to periodically review and adjust your plan based on evolving circumstances. Connect with your financial planner for goal-based planning and a detailed explanation tailored to your unique situation.
Loading...Please wait!
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds