Home > User

Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help


Ramalingam Kalirajan5181 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on May 15, 2024

Asked on - May 03, 2024Hindi

My husband and his brother jointly invested in a property 20 years back, for an amount of 8 lakhs (equal share between them). However the property was registered only on the brother's name. Now he intends to sell the property for 70 lakhs and share the sale proceeds with my husband equally. What would be the Long Term Capital Gain tax liability on both the brothers after the sale? Can he transfer my husband's share as 'Gift" within blood relation, being his own brother?
Ans: The Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG) tax liability on the sale of the property will depend on various factors, including the purchase price, sale price, and holding period. Here's how it's calculated:

Determine Cost of Acquisition: The cost of acquisition for your husband's share would be his portion of the original investment, i.e., Rs. 4 lakhs.

Calculate Indexed Cost of Acquisition: Adjust the cost of acquisition for inflation using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) for the relevant financial years. This indexed cost will be used to calculate the LTCG.

Deduct Indexed Cost from Sale Price: Subtract the indexed cost of acquisition from the sale price to determine the LTCG.

Apply LTCG Tax Rate: As per current tax laws, LTCG on the sale of immovable property is taxed at 20% with indexation.

Compute Tax Liability: Calculate the tax payable on the LTCG at the applicable rate of 20%.

Transfer of Share as Gift:

Your husband's brother can transfer your husband's share of the sale proceeds as a gift within the blood relation. However, it's essential to consider the tax implications of such a transfer:

Gift Tax Liability: Gifts received from relatives are generally exempt from tax under the Income Tax Act. Therefore, your husband should not incur any gift tax liability on receiving his share of the sale proceeds from his brother.

Documentation: Ensure proper documentation for the gift transaction, including a gift deed or a written agreement, to establish the transfer of ownership legally.

Avoiding Tax Evasion: While gifting within blood relations is permissible, it's crucial to ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid any suspicion of tax evasion. Proper documentation and transparency are essential to demonstrate the legitimate nature of the transaction.

Consultation with Tax Advisor:

Given the complexity of tax implications and legal requirements, it's advisable to consult with a tax advisor or chartered accountant who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances and ensure compliance with tax laws.

Best Regards,

K. Ramalingam, MBA, CFP,

Chief Financial Planner,

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds