Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Asked by Anonymous - Sep 22, 2023Hindi

Hi sir, I am 32 year old earning 42 LPA. I have 20 lakhs invested in stocks, 17 lakhs in mutual funds, 13 lakhs in PF, 3 lakhs in PPF, 2 lakhs in govt. bonds and 12 lakhs in FD. I want to retire by 45 with monthly pension of 2 lakhs post tax growing 7% annually. What should be my corpus amount and how should I invest per month in above instruments to reach it.

Ans: To achieve your retirement goal of a monthly pension of Rs 2 lakhs post-tax, growing at 7% annually, you'll need to calculate the required corpus. For this, I’m unable to let you know your exact corpus amount since I have no information about your current expenses, risk tolerance, life expectancy and other financial goals.

With assumptions like an 85-year life expectancy and an aggressive risk profile, you might need around Rs 7.75 crore at retirement (age 45). This considers a 7% inflation rate and 13% pre-retirement returns.

Right now, you have Rs 67 lakhs saved, split between equity and debt. However, solely relying on these might only sustain your desired lifestyle till age 60 only. To make sure you have enough until 85, you need to invest an additional monthly investment (SIP) of around Rs 1 Lakh along with your existing investments of Rs. 67 Lakhs. Also, slowly build up an emergency fund equal to 6 months of your expenses.

The response to your query is based on limited information and consulting a financial advisor is highly recommended. He/she can create a personalized plan considering your expenses, risk tolerance, and other goals. There are some free financial calculators (for retirement planning) available on google, you can also refer to the same for the calculation.

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 24, 2023Hindi
Hi sir, I am 32 year old earning 42 LPA. I have 20 lakhs invested in stocks (expecting 15% return), 17 lakhs in mutual funds (expecting 12% return), 13 lakhs in PF (expecting 8% return), 3 lakhs in PPF (expecting 7.1% return), 2 lakhs in govt. bonds (avg. YTM 7.5%), 2 lakhs in NPS (expecting 12% return) and 10 lakhs in Savings as emergency fund. I want to retire by 45 with monthly pension of 2 lakhs post tax increasing 7% annually. What should be my corpus amount and how should I invest per month in above instruments to reach it.
Ans: To retire at 45 with a monthly pension of 2 lakhs post-tax, increasing at 7% annually, you need to estimate your post-retirement expenses and calculate the corpus required to generate this income. Assuming a conservative withdrawal rate of 4% annually to sustain the pension without depleting the corpus, you'll need a corpus of approximately 6 crores at the time of retirement.

Here's how you can plan your investments to reach this goal:

Equities: Since you have a long investment horizon and a higher risk tolerance, allocate a significant portion of your investments to equities. Continue investing in stocks and mutual funds with an expected return of 12-15% annually. Increase your SIP in mutual funds to expedite wealth accumulation.
Fixed Income: Maintain a balanced portfolio by diversifying into fixed-income instruments like PF, PPF, govt. bonds, and NPS. Although these instruments offer lower returns, they provide stability and reduce overall portfolio risk. Maximize contributions to NPS, which offers tax benefits and potentially higher returns.
Emergency Fund: Keep your emergency fund intact to cover unexpected expenses and avoid liquidating long-term investments prematurely.
Regular Review: Periodically review your investment portfolio and make adjustments based on changing financial goals, market conditions, and risk appetite. Consider consulting with a financial advisor or planner to optimize your investment strategy and ensure alignment with your retirement objectives.
By consistently investing in a diversified portfolio of equities and fixed-income instruments, you can work towards building a sufficient corpus to achieve your retirement goals. Remember to stay disciplined, stay invested for the long term, and periodically reassess your financial plan to stay on track.

I am 40 years old, working as a Chief Manager in a PSU Bank. My net monthly income is around 1.60 lakhs p.m. I have savings and investments of Rs 20 lakhs in Various MFs via SIPs. Rs 3.00 lakhs in PPF, Rs 23.00 lakhs in PF, Rs 17.00 lakhs in bank deposits and Rs 4.00 lakhs in stocks. I want to retire at 50. How much corpus do I need and how to invest to achieve it in the next 10 years ? (I am a single father, having a daughter and my parents to take care of)
Ans: It's great that you're planning ahead for your retirement and considering your responsibilities towards your daughter and parents. Here's a strategy to help you achieve your retirement goal:

Calculate Retirement Corpus: Estimate your retirement expenses based on your current lifestyle and expected future needs. Consider factors like inflation, healthcare costs, and any additional expenses for your daughter's education and your parents' care. Aim for a retirement corpus that can sustain your lifestyle and cover these expenses.
Investment Strategy: Given your 10-year time horizon, you can adopt an aggressive investment approach with a focus on wealth accumulation. Since you already have investments in various MFs, PPF, PF, bank deposits, and stocks, ensure that your portfolio is diversified across asset classes to manage risk effectively.
Asset Allocation: Review your existing asset allocation and make adjustments as needed to align with your retirement goals and risk tolerance. Consider allocating a higher percentage of your portfolio to equities for long-term growth potential, supplemented by fixed income investments for stability.
Maximize Contributions: Continue to maximize contributions to your PF and PPF accounts, as they offer tax benefits and provide a secure foundation for your retirement savings. Additionally, explore other tax-efficient investment options like NPS (National Pension System) to further boost your retirement corpus.
Regular Review: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your retirement goals and risk tolerance. Rebalance your portfolio periodically to maintain the desired asset allocation and take advantage of market opportunities.
Professional Advice: Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner who can evaluate your financial situation, assess your retirement needs, and recommend a customized investment strategy tailored to your goals and circumstances.
By following these steps and staying disciplined in your savings and investment approach, you can work towards building a sufficient retirement corpus to retire comfortably at 50 while fulfilling your responsibilities towards your daughter and parents. Remember, consistency and patience are key to achieving your long-term financial goals.

Sir, I am Mr. Sanjay Gupta age 40 yrs, investing monthly 50k in SIP, monthly 10k in NPS, monthly 10k in EPF, Yearly 1.50 lakh in PPF. How much I should invest to have monthly 3 lakh during retirement and reach to corpus of 3 crore before retirement.
Ans: Hello Mr. Sanjay Gupta, it's commendable that you're diligently investing towards your retirement. Let's strategize to ensure a comfortable lifestyle post-retirement.

Assessing Your Current Investments:

With monthly SIPs of 50k, NPS contributions of 10k, EPF contributions of 10k, and yearly PPF investments of 1.50 lakh, you're already on the right track towards building your retirement corpus.

Setting Retirement Income Target:

To achieve a monthly income of 3 lakh during retirement and a corpus of 3 crore before retirement, we need to evaluate your current investment trajectory and adjust it accordingly.

Calculating Required Investments:

Considering your current investments and retirement goals, we'll calculate the additional investment required to bridge the gap.

Strategic Allocation of Funds:

We'll optimize your investment portfolio by balancing allocations across different asset classes to maximize returns and manage risk effectively.

Benefits of SIPs:

SIPs offer a disciplined approach to investing in mutual funds, harnessing the power of compounding to build wealth over time.

Benefits of NPS and EPF:

NPS and EPF provide tax benefits and stable returns, contributing to your retirement corpus while ensuring financial security.

Importance of PPF:

PPF offers attractive interest rates and tax benefits, serving as a reliable long-term savings instrument to supplement your retirement income.

Analyzing Retirement Income Needs:

To generate a monthly income of 3 lakh during retirement, we'll assess the required corpus and strategize investments accordingly.

Calculating Corpus Required:

Based on your desired monthly income and life expectancy, we'll calculate the corpus needed to sustain your lifestyle post-retirement.

Consultation with a Certified Financial Planner:

Seeking advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) ensures personalized guidance tailored to your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, achieving your retirement goals necessitates a comprehensive approach, balancing investments across various avenues. By optimizing your current investments and strategizing additional contributions, we can work towards securing your financial future and ensuring a comfortable retirement.

Sir I am currently a student working as pg resident in government college l. My monthly stipend is 70000 of which I want to use 60000 in investment for upcoming future. I want to continue doing it for 3 years and if I get help from yours kind suggestion I will continue to do so. Humbly request you to guide me sir ?
Ans: It's admirable that you're proactive about investing your stipend for future financial security. Let's craft a strategic investment plan to help you achieve your goals.

Understanding Your Financial Goals
Short-Term Objective (3 Years):
Your primary goal is to invest your monthly stipend over the next three years to build wealth for the future.
This investment horizon allows for a balanced approach that combines growth potential with risk management.
Tailoring an Investment Strategy
Risk Profile Assessment:

As a student with a stable income, you may have a higher risk tolerance, given your long-term investment horizon.
However, it's crucial to strike a balance between risk and return to ensure the safety of your investments.
Diversified Portfolio Allocation:

Consider diversifying your investment across asset classes such as equities, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or commodities.
Diversification helps mitigate risk and enhances the potential for long-term growth.
Structuring Your Investment Approach
Equities:

Allocate a portion of your investment towards equities to capitalize on their potential for higher returns over the long term.
Invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap stocks or equity mutual funds to diversify your equity exposure.
Debt Instruments:

Allocate another portion of your investment towards debt instruments like fixed deposits, debt mutual funds, or bonds.
Debt instruments provide stability and regular income, making them suitable for risk mitigation.
Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):

Consider investing through a SIP in mutual funds to benefit from rupee-cost averaging and mitigate the impact of market volatility.
SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly, regardless of market fluctuations, fostering disciplined investing.
Monitoring and Review
Regular Portfolio Review:

Periodically review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance.
Make adjustments as needed based on changing market conditions or personal circumstances.
Continuous Learning:

Stay informed about financial markets and investment strategies to make informed decisions about your portfolio.
Consider seeking guidance from a Certified Financial Planner to optimize your investment strategy.
Conclusion and Encouragement
Your proactive approach towards investing is commendable and lays a strong foundation for your financial future. By implementing a diversified investment strategy and maintaining disciplined investing habits, you're well-positioned to achieve your long-term financial goals.

Iam 57 years old male. Iam going to retire after 3 yrs. I have invested 2. 5 lakhs in icici balance advantage fund . Can i contine investing or change can you advice
Ans: Evaluating Investment Strategy for Retirement
Understanding Your Current Situation
It's commendable that you're actively planning for your retirement. Let's assess your investment in ICICI Balance Advantage Fund and explore whether it aligns with your retirement goals.

Genuine Appreciation for Retirement Planning
Planning for retirement demonstrates foresight and responsibility towards securing your financial future. It's a crucial step towards achieving financial independence in your golden years.

Assessing Your Investment Choice
ICICI Balance Advantage Fund:
This fund follows a dynamic asset allocation strategy, aiming to balance risk and return by adjusting exposure to equities based on market conditions.
It offers the potential for growth while providing downside protection through tactical allocation.
Evaluating Investment Strategy for Retirement
Investment Horizon:

With retirement on the horizon in three years, your investment horizon is relatively short.
Short-term investment goals typically require a more conservative approach to minimize the impact of market volatility.
Risk Tolerance:

As you approach retirement, preserving capital becomes increasingly important.
Consider reassessing your risk tolerance and shifting towards more stable investment options to safeguard your savings.
Considering Alternatives
Debt Funds:

Debt funds offer lower volatility and can provide steady income, making them suitable for retirement portfolios.
Consider allocating a portion of your portfolio to debt funds to enhance stability and reduce overall risk.
Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP):

SWP allows you to systematically withdraw a fixed amount from your investments at regular intervals, providing a steady income stream during retirement.
Explore the possibility of implementing an SWP strategy to meet your income needs post-retirement.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Given your proximity to retirement, it's prudent to reassess your investment strategy and prioritize capital preservation. While ICICI Balance Advantage Fund offers growth potential, it may carry higher risk, which might not align with your current financial objectives.

Considering your retirement timeline, I recommend exploring more conservative options such as debt funds and implementing a systematic withdrawal plan to ensure a steady income stream post-retirement. Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor an investment strategy that suits your retirement goals and risk tolerance.

Hello sir, I'm investing in quant small cap fund(5000 pm) and Aditya Birla Sun life PSU equity(10000pm), how much corpus should I expect after 2 or 3 years.
Ans: Assessing Potential Corpus Growth in 2-3 Years
Understanding Your Investment Strategy
It's great to see your commitment to investing and building wealth for your future. Let's analyze the potential corpus growth based on your current investments.

Compliments on Your Investment Initiative
Your proactive approach to investing is commendable. With careful planning and disciplined execution, you can achieve your financial goals effectively.

Analyzing Investment Horizon and Portfolio
Investment Horizon:

You're targeting a corpus growth within 2-3 years, indicating a short to medium-term investment horizon.
Short-term goals typically require a more conservative investment approach to mitigate risk.
Investment Allocation:

Currently, you're investing in two funds: Quant Small Cap Fund and Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity.
These funds cater to different segments of the market, providing diversification.
Evaluating Potential Corpus Growth
Quant Small Cap Fund:

Small-cap funds are known for their potential for high returns but also carry higher risk.
Given the short investment horizon, anticipate moderate to high fluctuations in returns.
Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity:

PSU equity funds primarily invest in stocks of public sector enterprises, offering stability but moderate growth potential.
Expect relatively lower volatility compared to small-cap funds.
Factors Influencing Corpus Growth
Market Performance:

Equity markets' performance significantly impacts the growth of your investment.
Economic conditions, corporate earnings, and geopolitical factors influence market movements.
Fund Performance:

Past performance of the selected funds provides insight but doesn't guarantee future returns.
Monitor fund performance regularly to assess its alignment with your goals.
Expected Corpus Growth Range
Quant Small Cap Fund:

Considering the high-risk nature of small-cap funds, anticipate a potential growth range of 10-15% annually.
Over 2-3 years, this could translate to a cumulative growth of 20-45%.
Aditya Birla Sun Life PSU Equity:

PSU equity funds typically offer more stability with potential growth in the range of 8-12% annually.
Over 2-3 years, expect a cumulative growth of approximately 16-36%.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Given the investment horizon of 2-3 years, it's crucial to balance risk and return expectations. While small-cap funds offer higher growth potential, they also come with increased volatility. PSU equity funds, on the other hand, provide stability but moderate growth.

Considering your risk tolerance and investment objectives, a combination of both funds can provide a balanced approach to corpus growth. Regularly review your portfolio's performance and adjust your investment strategy as needed to stay on track towards your financial goals.

Sir, my son is now 27 years old and would like to invest approx Rs. 10,000- 12,000 per month for the next 15-20 years and an approximate increase of 10-15% per year. Kindly suggest which type of investment should be planned in addition to any other suggestion's which would create a substantial monthly income after 20 years taking into consideration the money value and inflation
Ans: That's a fantastic plan for your son. Starting investments early creates a solid financial future. Let's explore some options to build a good monthly income after 20 years:

Building a Strong Investment Portfolio:

Diversification is key: Invest in a mix of asset classes like Equity (stocks), Debt (bonds), and Hybrid (mix of equity and debt) to manage risk and target long-term growth.
Consider Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed Equity Mutual Funds can potentially generate good returns over the long term. They are professionally managed by experts.
Investing for Growth and Beating Inflation:

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): Regular monthly investments (SIP) of Rs. 10,000-12,000 with a planned 10-15% annual increase is a smart approach. It inculcates discipline and leverages rupee-cost averaging.
Long-term horizon: A 20-year investment timeframe allows for market fluctuations to even out, focusing on long-term growth that outpaces inflation.
Planning for Future Income:

Goal-based investing: While aiming for monthly income, consider your son's future goals like retirement or higher studies. Tailor the investment mix accordingly.
Review and Rebalance: Regularly review the portfolio performance and rebalance allocations if needed to maintain the desired asset class mix.
Getting Professional Advice:

Talk to a CFP professional: A Certified Financial Planner can create a personalized investment plan for your son, considering his risk tolerance and financial goals.
Investment planning is crucial: A CFP can help navigate different investment options and choose the ones that best suit your son's needs.
Remember: Consistent investing, diversification, and professional guidance are key to building a strong financial future.

Hi, I have a query regarding health insurance. I have 2 policies from different providers. 1 policy has copay clause. Can I claim the copay amount from the other provider?
Ans: Claiming Copay from Another Health Insurance Policy
That's a good question! Unfortunately, you cannot claim the copay amount you pay under one health insurance policy from another provider. Here's why:

Copay is a fixed amount you share with your first insurer for covered medical expenses. It reduces your premium but requires you to pay upfront.
Each insurance policy works independently. They only cover your expenses as per their terms and conditions.
Here's how things work:

You file a claim with the insurer that has the copay clause.
They approve the claim amount after deducting the copay amount.
You pay the copay directly to the hospital or yourself (depending on the policy).
Alternatives to Consider:

Choose plans without copay: If copays are causing trouble, consider switching to plans with higher premiums but no copay requirement.
Increase coverage limits: If your current plans have low coverage limits, explore options with higher limits to minimize out-of-pocket expenses.
Speak to a CFP Professional:

A Certified Financial Planner can review your health insurance plans and suggest options that better suit your needs. They can also help you understand coverage details and claim procedures.

Remember: It's important to choose health insurance plans that complement each other and provide comprehensive coverage.

Im 62 year old and retired person. I am looking for health insurance policy for me and my wife who is 52 year old and housewife. I am suffering from high BP, Cervical and Lumber spondylitis, knee osteoarthritis, IBS and taking medicines for last 10-12 years. My wife has hypothyroidism, spondylitis and diabetes Please suggest better health insurance policy. Also suggest whether individual or family policy will be better Regards
Ans: I understand you're looking for a good health insurance plan for you and your wife. That's a smart decision, especially considering your health conditions. Let's break it down to help you choose the best option:

Understanding Pre-existing Conditions:

Your existing health conditions (BP, spondylitis, etc.) are called pre-existing conditions. These might affect your policy options and premiums.
Individual vs. Family Plan:

Family plan: Covers you and your wife together under one plan. It can be cheaper, but coverage limits get shared.
Individual plans: Separate plans for each of you. More flexibility, but might cost slightly more overall.
Considering Your Needs:

Pre-existing condition coverage: Look for plans that cover pre-existing conditions after a waiting period (if any).
Hospitalization coverage: Choose a plan with sufficient coverage for hospitalization expenses.
Medicines: Check if the plan covers medicines you take regularly.
Finding the Right Plan:

Talk to a CFP professional: A Certified Financial Planner can assess your needs and recommend suitable plans from different insurers.
Compare plans online: Many insurance companies offer online plan comparisons. Look for plans that cover pre-existing conditions and have good network hospitals in your area.
Here's a quick tip: Since your wife is younger and has a different health profile, individual plans might be better. This allows you to get customized coverage based on your specific needs.

Remember: Don't hesitate to ask questions! Choosing the right health insurance is important, and a CFP professional can guide you through the process.

Hi team, I have a health insurance since 2011. No claims as of now. I don't have BP or Diabetes as of now. the insurance company is NIA. What if in due course of time i develop some lifestyle ailment like BP or diabetes and it goes unchecked. will it affect my claims after that?
Ans: That's a great question! It's fantastic that you've been proactive with your health and maintained good health so far. Let's break down how pre-existing conditions and health insurance claims work:

No Claims and Pre-existing Conditions:

Good news! Having no claims history generally looks good to insurance companies. It shows you've been responsible with your health.
Pre-existing conditions are medical conditions you have before buying health insurance. These might affect your coverage or premiums in the future.
Lifestyle Ailments and Claims:

Lifestyle diseases like BP and diabetes can develop over time. If they go unchecked, they might become pre-existing conditions.
The impact on claims depends on your specific policy and when the condition developed. Some plans have waiting periods for pre-existing conditions. This means you might have to wait a certain time before coverage kicks in for those conditions.
Here's what you can do:

Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: This is key! Keep up the good work by eating healthy, exercising, and getting regular checkups.
Review your Policy Wording: Look at the section on pre-existing conditions and waiting periods. If unsure, call your NIA customer service for clarification.
Talk to a CFP Professional: A Certified Financial Planner can help you review your health insurance coverage and see if it aligns with your future health needs.
Remember: Early detection and management of lifestyle diseases can make a big difference. Taking care of your health now can benefit you in the long run, both physically and financially.