Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |885 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Feb 13, 2023

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan has been practising for 30 years.
She specialises in general medicine, child development and senior citizen care.
A graduate from Madurai Medical College, she has DNB training in paediatrics and a postgraduate degree in developmental neurology.
She has trained in Tai chi, eurythmy, Bothmer gymnastics, spacial dynamics and yoga.
Vijit Question by Vijit on Feb 09, 2023Hindi

I am having a elbow pain and also one of my finger is getting locked while folding. I am under medication for diabeties, bp and cholesterol. Please advise what could be the reason. I go for my regular walks atleast for an hour

Ans: Elbow pain and one of your fingers getting locked, could be due to bursitis, inflammation of the space around the joint.
This may be due to repetitive stress injury due to overuse
Please check on the details.
Rest, immobilisation and ice packs will help alleviate the acute pain

Greetings I am retiring in April 2027. I may get a retirement corpus of around 2Cr. I have FDs of around 60 L Mutual Funds 40L. I have two flats and the home loan of one flat will be repaid before my retirement. For the other flat there is no loan. Myself and my wife have ancestors property (land)valued at around 6 Cr. I may need a monthly income of 75 K.Kindly suggest investment options for me
Ans: First, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. You've done a great job building a solid financial foundation. You have a diverse portfolio with fixed deposits, mutual funds, real estate, and ancestral property. This diversification provides stability and potential growth.

Your expected retirement corpus of Rs. 2 crore is substantial. With this, along with your current assets and minimal loan commitments, you are well-positioned for a comfortable retirement. Let's evaluate your options to generate a monthly income of Rs. 75,000 while ensuring your capital grows and remains secure.

Creating a Retirement Income Plan
Fixed Deposits (FDs)
You have Rs. 60 lakhs in fixed deposits. FDs offer security and guaranteed returns. However, their interest rates may not keep pace with inflation. It's wise to keep a portion of your retirement corpus in FDs for liquidity and safety. Allocate around 20-25% of your corpus here.

You already have Rs. 40 lakhs in mutual funds. Mutual funds are excellent for growth and can be tailored to match your risk tolerance. Consider the following types of funds:

Balanced Funds

Balanced funds provide a mix of equity and debt. They offer growth potential while minimizing risk. Given your age and risk tolerance, a balanced fund can help maintain stability.

Equity Funds

Equity funds are suitable for long-term growth. They can be volatile, but with a horizon of 10-15 years, they can significantly enhance your returns. Diversify across large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds to spread risk.

Debt Funds

Debt funds are less risky and provide regular income. They are good for short-term needs. Invest in high-quality debt funds to ensure safety and reasonable returns.

Use an SWP from your mutual fund investments to generate a regular income. It allows you to withdraw a fixed amount monthly, providing you with Rs. 75,000. This method ensures that your capital continues to grow while providing you with the needed income.

Additional Investment Options
Senior Citizens' Saving Scheme (SCSS)
SCSS is a government-backed scheme offering attractive interest rates and regular income. It's safe and suitable for retirees. You can invest up to Rs. 15 lakhs individually or Rs. 30 lakhs jointly. The interest is paid quarterly, providing a steady income.

Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS)
POMIS is another secure option. It offers a fixed monthly income and is backed by the government. You can invest up to Rs. 4.5 lakhs individually or Rs. 9 lakhs jointly. The interest rate is competitive, and the monthly payout can supplement your income.

Corporate Bonds and Non-Convertible Debentures (NCDs)
Investing in high-rated corporate bonds and NCDs can provide higher returns than traditional FDs. They come with a fixed tenure and interest rate, offering a predictable income stream. Ensure to choose high-rated instruments to minimize risk.

Dividend-Paying Stocks
Investing in blue-chip companies that pay regular dividends can provide a steady income. Dividends are usually paid quarterly and can supplement your monthly income. Choose companies with a strong track record of consistent dividends.

Monthly Income Plans (MIPs)
MIPs offered by mutual funds invest predominantly in debt instruments with a small portion in equity. They aim to provide regular income and capital appreciation. MIPs can be a good option for generating monthly income with moderate risk.

Assessing Risks and Diversification
Risk Assessment
Retirement planning requires balancing risk and returns. While you need growth to beat inflation, capital preservation is equally crucial. Assess your risk tolerance and align your investments accordingly. A mix of safe and growth-oriented investments will ensure stability and growth.

Diversification reduces risk and enhances returns. Spread your investments across different asset classes like FDs, mutual funds

, government schemes, and stocks. This strategy ensures that poor performance in one area does not significantly impact your overall portfolio.

Tax Efficiency and Planning
Tax-Saving Instruments
Maximize your tax benefits by investing in tax-saving instruments under Section 80C, such as Equity-Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS) and SCSS. These instruments help reduce your taxable income while offering growth and regular income.

Tax on Returns
Understand the tax implications of your investments. For instance, interest from FDs and SCSS is taxable, while long-term capital gains from equity mutual funds enjoy favorable tax treatment. Plan your withdrawals and investments to minimize tax liabilities.

Ensure you and your wife have adequate health insurance coverage. Medical expenses can erode your retirement corpus quickly. A comprehensive health insurance plan will provide peace of mind and financial security.

Estate Planning
Wills and Trusts
Estate planning is essential to ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes. Draft a will to specify how your properties and investments should be allocated. Consider setting up a trust for efficient estate management and to minimize disputes among heirs.

Nomination and Succession
Ensure all your financial instruments have updated nominations. This simplifies the process for your heirs and ensures that your assets are transferred smoothly. Discuss your plans with your family to avoid confusion and misunderstandings later.

Liquidity
Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of your monthly expenses. This fund should be easily accessible and kept in a liquid instrument like a savings account or a liquid mutual fund. It provides a financial cushion for unexpected expenses.

Reviewing and Adjusting Your Plan
Regular Reviews
Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals and risk tolerance. Financial markets and personal circumstances change, so adjust your plan accordingly. Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to stay on track.

Rebalancing
Rebalancing your portfolio periodically is crucial to maintain your desired asset allocation. If your equity investments perform well, they might constitute a larger portion of your portfolio, increasing risk. Rebalance by selling a portion of equity and investing in debt to restore balance.

Stay Informed
Keep yourself informed about financial markets and new investment opportunities. Continuous learning helps make informed decisions and adapt to changing market conditions. Subscribing to financial newsletters and attending seminars can enhance your knowledge.

Long-Term Growth Strategies
For long-term growth, maintain a portion of your portfolio in equity investments. Equities have historically outperformed other asset classes over the long term. However, they come with higher risk, so balance your equity exposure based on your risk tolerance.

Real Assets
While you've asked not to consider real estate, it's worth mentioning that your ancestral property is a significant asset. Ensure it is well-maintained and consider potential income streams from it, such as renting or leasing, to supplement your retirement income.

Genuine Compliments and Appreciation
You have done an admirable job of planning and saving for your retirement. Your diverse portfolio, debt-free lifestyle, and significant assets reflect careful planning and financial discipline. It’s evident that you have a clear vision for a comfortable and secure retirement.

Your meticulous approach towards ensuring a regular income and safeguarding your assets for the future is commendable. You’ve laid a strong foundation for your golden years, and with a few strategic adjustments, you can enjoy a financially worry-free retirement.

Retirement planning is a continuous process that requires regular monitoring and adjustments. Your primary goal should be to ensure a stable and sufficient income while preserving your capital. Diversify your investments, assess risks carefully, and make informed decisions.

Utilize safe investment options like SCSS, POMIS, and high-rated corporate bonds for regular income. Consider mutual funds for growth, and always keep an emergency fund. Regular reviews and rebalancing will keep your portfolio aligned with your goals.

Stay informed, and don’t hesitate to seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to optimize your strategy. Your proactive approach and diversified portfolio set you up for a successful and enjoyable retirement. Keep up the good work and continue to make prudent financial decisions.

Hello sir, I am 36 years old ,single working woman. My monthly oncomebis 2 lakhs 23 thousand. I have a home loan with 73K emi. I have about 6.5 in PPF and about 3 lakhs in PF. Currently I work directly with a Canadian company that puts me in a tax bracket of Consultants. I have NPS of 4 lakhs and annually invest in NPS, PPF and home loan. I want to create a savings of 10 lakhs in the next 3 years and pay off my home loan in the next 7 year. Please advise
Ans: Creating a financial plan that aligns with your goals is crucial. Your situation is unique, and your aspirations of saving Rs. 10 lakhs in the next three years and paying off your home loan in seven years are commendable. Let's outline a strategy to help you achieve these objectives.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
Income and Expenses

Your monthly income is Rs. 2.23 lakhs, with an EMI of Rs. 73,000 for your home loan. This leaves you with Rs. 1.5 lakhs to manage your other expenses, savings, and investments.

Existing Investments

You have Rs. 6.5 lakhs in PPF, Rs. 3 lakhs in PF, and Rs. 4 lakhs in NPS. These are stable and relatively low-risk investments.

Tax Considerations

As you work for a Canadian company, you fall into the consultant tax bracket, which may offer different tax advantages. Utilizing tax-saving investments efficiently can help reduce your tax burden.

Setting Clear Financial Goals
Savings Goal

You aim to save Rs. 10 lakhs in the next three years. This is achievable with disciplined planning.

Home Loan Repayment

Your goal to repay your home loan in the next seven years requires a structured approach. Accelerating loan repayment will save interest over time.

Creating a Structured Savings Plan
Monthly Savings Target

To save Rs. 10 lakhs in three years, you need to save about Rs. 27,777 per month. This should be manageable with your current income and expenses.

Before anything else, ensure you have an emergency fund. This fund should cover 6-9 months of expenses. It acts as a safety net against unexpected financial shocks.

Investment Strategies
PPF and PF Contributions

Continue your contributions to PPF and PF. These provide stability and tax benefits.

Consider investing in actively managed mutual funds. These funds are managed by professional fund managers who can adjust the portfolio to maximize returns.

Diversify your investments across different asset classes. This reduces risk and can enhance returns. You might consider a mix of equity and debt funds.

Tax Efficiency
Tax-Saving Investments

Maximize your contributions to tax-saving instruments like PPF, NPS, and ELSS (Equity Linked Savings Scheme). These can reduce your taxable income.

Home Loan Interest Deduction

Utilize the tax benefits on home loan interest payments under Section 24(b). This can significantly reduce your taxable income.

Accelerating Home Loan Repayment
Prepayment Strategy

Consider making prepayments on your home loan when possible. Even small prepayments can reduce the principal and, consequently, the interest burden.

Increase EMI Amount

If possible, increase your EMI amount annually. This will help reduce the loan tenure and save on interest.

Regular Review and Adjustment
Annual Financial Review

Review your financial plan annually. Adjust your strategies based on changes in income, expenses, and goals.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner

A certified financial planner can provide personalized advice. They can help optimize your investment and savings strategies.

Smart Budgeting and Expense Management
Track Your Expenses

Use budgeting tools to track your monthly expenses. Identify areas where you can cut back and save more.

Prioritize Spending

Prioritize essential expenses and limit discretionary spending. This will help you save more towards your goals.

Leveraging NPS for Long-Term Goals
NPS Contributions

Continue contributing to your NPS. It’s a robust tool for long-term retirement planning.

Tax Benefits

NPS contributions offer additional tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1B), up to Rs. 50,000.

Maximizing Returns on Existing Investments
Regular Monitoring

Monitor your PPF and PF investments. Ensure they are aligned with your overall financial goals.

Rebalancing Portfolio

Periodically rebalance your investment portfolio. This ensures it remains aligned with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Building a Contingency Plan

Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance. This protects your financial plan against unforeseen events.

Creating a Will

Consider creating a will to ensure your assets are distributed according to your wishes. This provides peace of mind and security for your loved ones.

Your financial goals are achievable with careful planning and disciplined execution. By saving systematically, optimizing your investments, and efficiently managing your debt, you can create a secure financial future. Regular reviews and adjustments to your plan will ensure you stay on track towards achieving your aspirations.

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -