Home > Health > Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan

Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan

General Physician 

743 Answers | 74 Followers

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan has been practising for 30 years.
She specialises in general medicine, child development and senior citizen care.
A graduate from Madurai Medical College, she has DNB training in paediatrics and a postgraduate degree in developmental neurology.
She has trained in Tai chi, eurythmy, Bothmer gymnastics, spacial dynamics and yoga.

Answered on Jun 14, 2024

I am 81 yrs, suffering from prostate cancer since last 6/7 months. I had earlier multiple health issues like Type 2 Diabetes (2yrs), Alzheimer's, Parkinsons plus, I have also heart issues with two stents inserted in 2014. I follow a very sedate lifestyle with walking for 45-55 mts + physical exercise 30 mts almost each day. I have been able to contain Alzheimer's and Parkinson's to almost 85-90% level and check Diabetes with food habits and walking to almost 70-75% level. . From 212 FPBS t has come down to 111 and PPBS currently is 78. I am focusing on prostate cancer. I wish to give some data for your reference: PSA- Total- from 4.14 it has come down to 1.89 Testosterone- from 585 it has come down to 0.660 reading of 20/05/24 I am strictly following my Urologists instructions so far. I am under his treatment for last 6/7 months. But he advices me to go in for MRI based Radiation therapy at HYD. I am extremely averse to any type of radiation therapy as the cells apparently are in sleeping mode with hormonal therapies but once I go in for radiation even if 85% cells die the balance surviving cells will attack my system vigorously and age will not be able to withstand their attack. Can I continue with hormonal therapies? Your advice please
Ans: You are absolutely right Radiotherapy has its own set back of affecting the normal cells too decreasing the overall vitality
So I suggest look into Naturopathy in addressing this issue along with lifestyle modification
Please have a positive attitude as Prostate Cancer relatively has better outcome after being treated with the hormonal therapy.

Answered on Jun 12, 2024

I am a 28 year old female. I am 162 cm tall. I got married last year (2023). My husband lives abroad. He visits India for 2 months or sometimes 1 month in a span of year. Since I got married, I got barely 3 months to live with my husband. In that time, we tried to conceive as my husband is very eager for having children. I had one or two acnes around my periods but after my marriage, I started getting severe acne all over my face and no where else on my body. I consulted Dermatologist for this issue. Her treatment wasn’t of any help to me. Somehow, with my mother’s home remedies like cinnamon and cumin seeds water I got rid of those stubborn acne to some extent. I still get acne on my face but in moderation, I continually consume that drink daily. My weight was around 59 kg at the time of my marriage but it has been increasing by 1kg since September 2023. Now as of today my weight is 69kg. I consulted gynaecologist for my issues with conceivement I have been diagnosed with Thyroid and hormonal imbalance. I rarely slept at night time. But I get good amount of sleep after 4 AM, I sleep all over the morning and wake up around Noontime. My Gynaecologist told me to get sleep at night time and wake up early in the morning. I have been doing that since many days now, sleeping at 12 or 1 AM and waking up at 9-9:30 AM daily. The main issue is, she told me to lose weight about 8-10 kg in order to conceive naturally. I am unable to shed my weight, provided I am taking thyroid medication daily in the morning. It’s been a month now my weight is steadily stuck at 68 kg. I waver back and forth with grams around that 68 kg, thats it. My ir-resistant body fat has become a matter of great concern for me now. No matter how much I exercise it has no effect on my body weight. What should I eat or do to lose my weight faster and easier with thyroid and insulin resistance ?
Ans: Body Constituition has a lot to do with genetic inheritance too. For your height your weight up to 62 kg is acceptable limit of your ideal weight. So shaking of 5-6 kg is very much achievable.
Main point to touch is early dinner. Have dinner by 6 pm and no more Carb, protein and fat after that time. And your dinner meal should not have any animal protein. Just by doing this and exercising through brisk walks 30mts a day five days a week will make a big change. The problem what we face these days is late night dinners, eating snacks late night. Just address that

Answered on Jun 12, 2024

Answered on Apr 23, 2024

My grandmother has Parkinson's and got a tube in her nose that extends to her stomach that so we can inject liquids easily as she completely avoids eating food and doesn't even swallow a sip of water. She snatched the tube out of her nose completely and now it cannot be used again. We cannot keep a check on her for full 24 hours but we try our best. Please suggest anything to avoid the snatching as once a tube has been taken out it cannot be re-inserted. And please one more thing that she keeps wetting the bed despite of using diapers. The diaper always leaks out and then my mom has to clean grandmother, her clothes, the bed sheets etc. She gets tired by doing this twice a day as it is a lot of work. Pls suggest something about the bed wetting to how to minimise it. She is around 70 kgs and cannot even get up herself so my mom has to pull her out of the bed which requires a lot of strength. My mom feels pain in her back and shoulder a lot. All of this happening around the house is too much. I will be grateful if you reply.
Ans: To avoid bed wetting you need to make her wear the correct size diaper. Undersheets can be used as an added protection.
Normally soaking happens if we do not change the diaper adequately.
Please ask your Mom to do some upper body work outs through a physios, help.
With respect to the Ryle's tube, it is an irritant that one gets used to. If your Grandmom does not like it and non cooperative not much can be done. But you could check up with her Physician if now and then Parenteral nutrition can be given by hospitalising her
Loading...Please wait!