Roopashree

Roopashree Sharma  |185 Answers  |Ask -

Yoga, Naturopathy Expert - Answered on Jul 25, 2023

Roopashree Sharma, a qualified yoga trainer and naturopathy enthusiast, is the founder of Atharvanlife.
Asked by Anonymous - Jul 23, 2023Translate

Madam, Please suggest natural way to reduce weight of my son. He is 32 years old and weight is 150 kg. Whenever he follows diet plan, weight reduces. But, it becomes high again, if he stops dieting. Once, he could reduce 30 kg by following dietary measures for six months. But, it is difficult follow dieting for long time.

Ans: There is a difference between dieting and diet control. If you follow strict diet then the mind is agitated and you cannot follow it for a longer period. What he needs is a lifestyle change and not random diet plans. I will suggest getting a detox at a Ayurvedic facility/ Naturopathy center, followed by ongoing physical routine (walks and eventually Yoga) and controlled diet. Most important rule is diet is not to eat post 7PM.

Roopashree

Roopashree Sharma  |185 Answers  |Ask -

Yoga, Naturopathy Expert - Answered on Oct 05, 2021

Dear Roopashree, I have two cases where I need your help. 1. My daughter, who is 16 years old, was a state level swimmer until two years ago.At that time, her diet and exercises were at a very different level.She suddenly decided to quit swimming. This led to weight gain and she became 60 kg; her height is 5.2 feet.She then started some exercises, watching YouTube, etc, and went into self-starvation mode in order to reduce weight.We didn’t realise that she started throwing food. It continued for months while she doubled her exercise to twice a day.As a result she not only lost 15 kg in a year, but it also stopped her periods for a year now.Can you help us with this problem?2. For myself, I am 44 years old, height 5 feet, weight 60 kg and a big belly.I like to eat spicy food so maintaining just soup based diets becomes difficult beyond a day or two.Can you guide me on what diet programme I should follow to reduce 7 kg in next five months?I have a family occasion coming up in Feb 2022, for which I want to be ready.Shalini Shukla

Let me tackle this individually.

Let’s look at your daughter first.

We often define health by weight. While it is certainly an important factor, body functions -- whether hormonal, digestive and/or nervous -- are equally, if not more, important.

Given the major shifts in your daughter's routine, both during her swimming days and workout days, her body must be going through a lot. And let’s not forget the hormonal changes happening during this age.

I would suggest that she takes a mental break from thinking about diet and exercise for at least 2-3 months.

This does not mean she should overeat and not do basic physical exercises. Instead, opt for a balanced diet (lots of fruits and less of grains and processed foods).

Include a little physical activity (not workouts) but more playful activities. Light walks or basic jogging, yoga or any other sport of her choice like badminton, etc, will keep the body remain active without stressing the hormones.

She can also start basic pranayama (deep breathing exercises) to balance her energies and lower stress levels.

As far as her menstrual issues are concerned, I would suggest you meet an ayurvedic practitioner. They will identify if there is any possible imbalance of the elements and recommend ayurvedic medicines if required.

Shalini, let’s look at your concerns now.

A big belly can be due to many reasons -- excess fat retention, water retention, bloating, etc.

You should focus on addressing the root cause and not on weight loss through strict dieting.

I suggest you follow some basic principles of food intake, starting with a detox for your stomach.

Have a glass of petha (white pumpkin) juice (recipe here) in the morning. Avoid eating anything else for an hour. Do this for a month.

Avoid fried food and restrict non-veg and heavily processed foods during this period.

You can eat a full meal, but avoid eating after sunset.

Spices can be therapeutic as well as harmful, depending upon consumption.

If you practice yoga, then do Kapalbhati pranayam for 5-10 minutes in the morning.

Half an hour after your meals, go for a stroll.

Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |278 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Jan 21, 2022

Financial Planner - Answered on Mar 03, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 03, 2024Translate
I'm contemplating a career change in my late 30s, earning Rs 14 lakhs annually. How can I navigate this transition while ensuring financial stability and working towards long-term goals such as retirement?
Ans: Transitioning to a new career in your late 30s while maintaining financial stability and planning for long-term goals like retirement requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some steps you can take to navigate this transition effectively:

1. Assess Your Skills and Interests: Reflect on your skills, interests, and values to identify potential new career paths that align with your strengths and passions. Consider seeking career counseling or taking career assessment tests to explore different options.

2. Research Potential Careers: Conduct thorough research on the industries and roles you're interested in pursuing. Look into job market demand, salary potential, and growth opportunities to ensure your chosen career path is financially viable.

3. Skill Development and Education: Determine if you need to acquire new skills or education to transition into your desired field. This could involve enrolling in courses, obtaining certifications, or pursuing higher education such as a degree or specialised training programme.

4. Financial Planning: Evaluate your current financial situation and create a budget to understand your income, expenses, and savings. Factor in any potential changes in income or expenses associated with your career transition. Consider setting aside an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses.

5. Debt Management: If you have any outstanding debts, develop a plan to manage and pay them off efficiently. Prioritise high-interest debts like credit card debt while maintaining minimum payments on other loans.

6. Retirement Planning: Review your retirement savings accounts like the EPF, and assess whether you're on track to meet your long-term retirement goals. Consider consulting a financial advisor to develop a personalised retirement plan based on your age, income, risk tolerance, and retirement objectives.

7. Health Insurance and Benefits: Evaluate the health insurance and other benefits offered by your new employer, if applicable. Ensure you understand the coverage provided and any associated costs. If transitioning to self-employment or freelancing, research options for obtaining health insurance coverage independently.

8. Networking and Building Connections: Network with professionals in your desired industry to gain insights, advice, and potential job opportunities. Attend industry events, join professional associations, and leverage online networking platforms like LinkedIn to expand your network.

9. Side Hustle or Freelancing: Consider starting a side hustle or freelancing in your desired field while maintaining your current job. This can provide additional income, valuable experience, and a smoother transition into your new career.

10. Evaluate Risks and Rewards: Assess the risks and rewards associated with your career change, including potential income fluctuations, job stability, and work-life balance. Be prepared to adapt and make adjustments as needed throughout the transition process.

By following these steps and carefully planning your career transition, you can navigate the change while maintaining financial stability and working towards your long-term goals, including retirement.
Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |599 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Mar 03, 2024