Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |271 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Komal Jethmalani is a practising dietician and nutritionist with over 26 years of experience.
She specialises in weight loss and diabetes management.
Jethmalani has completed her MSc in food and nutrition from SNDT University and trained at Jaslok Hospital.
Asked by Anonymous - Nov 15, 2023Translate

At the age of 35, I was diagnosed with diabetes. Currently, I'm 43 yrs. I represent a lower-class family where medical treatment is highly impossible. Post corona no regular income. Survival has become a burden of the beast. Only through food intake I can minimise or balance the sugar level. Doctor, kindly provide a proper food guide. I represent the orthodox IYER and pure vegetarian family. Can I consume white rice in a lesser proportion on a daily basis? Coffee without sugar? I have stopped taking bakery food items. During festivals can I partake in HOME MADE "CHICKPEA FLOUR PATTIES"[CHANE KE AATE KEE PAITEEZ? GHAR KA KHAANA?] WHAT IS PROCESSED FOOD MEANT? KINDLY GUIDE ME. NAMASTE.

Ans: Management of blood sugar levels for Type 2 diabetes can be done by following a balanced diet. Include a good source of fiber containing food with every meal or snack. -Start the day with some whole grains, oats. Eat less potatoes. Instead, try brown rice or less well known grains like bulgur, wheat berries, millet, or hulled barley or quinoa. Include beans/legumes which are an excellent source of slowly digested carbohydrate as well as a great source of lean protein. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Avoid fried, fast foods and high fat and sugar foods. Ensure regular exercise for at least 40 minutes daily. Any food that has been altered from its original state is considered processed. Foods that have been chopped, cleaned, heated, pasteurized, canned, frozen, dehydrated, blended, or packed might all fall under this category. Foods with additional nutrients, tastes, salts, sugars, fats, or preservatives may also fall under this category.

Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |271 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Apr 02, 2022

Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |271 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Oct 19, 2020

I am a 62-year-old man, weight 83 kgs, mostly sitting work, living in Noida.I am diabetic for over 25 years. I wake up in the morning between 5.30 am to 6 am and take warm water with lemon/alovera/giloy.I then walk for about 45 minutes.I take tea with two Marie biscuits and about 30-40 gms of namkeen.For breakfast, I have two chapattis/poha/sandwich/any item.Lunch is three chapattis of wheat/ragi+besan.Evening, I have small quantity of fruit -- apple or any seasonal fruit, but not banana.Dinner is at about 8 pm; I have two chapattis.I go to sleep between 10 pm and 10.30 pm.I take medicine with insulin but my sugar level fasting does remains 180-200.-- Saraf

Your situation may seem difficult to you, but it isn't reversible.

Diabetes with excess weight is a condition which can be overcome with healthy habits.

Lack of endurance and insulin resistance is a sign of uncontrolled sugar levels.

To bring a change, you must include aerobic and strengthening exercises which will increase your lean mass and metabolism.

Include healthy foods in your diet like oats, dalia, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans, which contain lots of fibre. This will help increase your metabolism and thereby reduce your blood sugar levels.

Protein-rich foods are necessary for sustenance, so include foods like dairy products, eggs (if permissible), lentils, nuts, soya, etc.

Reduce too much namkeen, which is not healthy and has lots of trans fats, salt and additional calories, which will spike the blood sugar levels.

A balanced diet that contains essential nutrients, and a modification of your habits, will result in a healthy lifestyle geared towards fitness.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.