Home > Relationship > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help
Dr Ashish

Dr Ashish Sehgal  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Sep 12, 2023

Ashish Sehgal has over 20 years of experience as a counsellor. He holds a doctorate in neuro linguistic programming, mental health and social welfare.He is certified in neurolinguistics by both the Society of NLP and the American Board of NLP.... more
Asked by Anonymous - Aug 30, 2023Hindi

My wife (aged 63 years) is suffering from Obsessive and Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for the 15 years. About 10 years back, she had undergone treatment at the Vellore Christian Hospital and is under medication. She is now better because of medication but her behaviour is very annoying at times. When I come from out side, she thinks that my cloths and all other things have become dirty and washes them. She feels that unless she offers "Puja" for at least 2 hours per day, bad things will happen to our family. Yesterday I flew from Bangalore and as soon as I reached home, she washed all my cloths including my new BP measuring instrument which I brought from there. I have two sons and they are married and reasonably well placed. I don't know what to do. Should I get separated from her? I am 72 and in good health.

Ans: It's important to consult with a mental health professional who can provide specific advice tailored to your wife's condition and your family's dynamics. Here are some steps you can consider:

Communicate: Open and compassionate communication is key. Talk to your wife about your concerns, and let her know how her behavior affects you. Use "I" statements to express your feelings without blaming her. Encourage her to share her thoughts and feelings as well.

Consult a Mental Health Professional: Reach out to a mental health specialist who specializes in OCD. Given that your wife has been on medication for a while but is still exhibiting distressing behavior, it may be beneficial to revisit her treatment plan. There might be adjustments needed in her medication or therapy.

Educate Yourself: Learn more about OCD and its symptoms to better understand what your wife is going through. This can help you be more empathetic and supportive.

Support Groups: Consider joining a support group for caregivers of individuals with OCD. This can provide you with valuable insights, coping strategies, and a network of people who understand your situation.

Seek Couples Therapy: Couples therapy can be helpful in improving communication and understanding between you and your wife. It can also provide guidance on how to manage the impact of OCD on your relationship.

Patience and Empathy: Living with someone who has OCD can be challenging, but try to be patient and empathetic. Remember that OCD is a mental health condition, and your wife's behaviors are driven by distressing thoughts and anxiety.

Self-Care: Take care of your own mental and emotional well-being. It's essential to maintain your own health and happiness while supporting your wife.

Legal Considerations: Separation or divorce should be considered only after exhausting all available avenues for treatment and support. Consulting with a family lawyer may be necessary if you decide to explore this option.

Ultimately, the decision to separate from your wife is a deeply personal one and should be made after careful consideration and with the guidance of professionals. Keep in mind that with the right treatment and support, people with OCD can improve their symptoms and lead fulfilling lives.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Anu Krishna  |1044 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Oct 14, 2022

I am 53 and my wife is 45. I never felt happy with my marriage.She suffers from OCD but is very intelligent. She has never done any cooking in these 23 years of our marriage. I cook and do household chores in case domestic help does not turn up. She brings me to suicidal tendency blaming my mother, my brother etc...She has never allowed my mother to stay with me, and also makes me lose interest in her. But her father is a very good man. I love him and feel like having sex with him though I am also a male. How much ever I ask her to come back to normalcy she does not. I am confused. My only son is 23 years old. I do not want him to think that he is disturbed. She does not understand others' state of mind. Please help me.

Dear S,

Your situation is a bit complicated as I don’t have enough information to build on.

  • How do you know that she suffers from OCD? Has an expert diagnosed this?
  • Is the trouble in your marriage because of your confused sexual orientation?
  • Have you felt attracted to your wife at some point as well?

To me, it seems like both of you need to visit an expert who will not just help you deal with your marriage but also guide you to work on your sexual orientation which could also have led to matters going sour between you and your wife.

Like I said, things don’t add up much to me and I have tried to point you in a direction that might help you move into a solution space.

For more clarity, I do suggest getting in touch with an expert who can guide you ably and help get your life back on track.

All the best!

..Read more


Anu Krishna  |1044 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Dec 20, 2022

Hi Anu, I want to be anonymous on this.I'm 34years old and married 4.5months ago. It was an arranged marriage, we are from different caste. I'm a partial handicap person; I have issues with my leg. I am having issues with my wife's behaviour and I am looking for some consultation. During the initial conversations before marriage, she agreed on everything -- cooking, keeping me at bay on all works. I even informed, I don't like people who get angry and instead I like to discuss the issue and get it sorted out.But after marriage everything changed. From Day 1, she got angry on very little things like not giving hug/not drinking milk, using the phone while eating, laughing with colleagues while working or even if I cooked without informing. Getting angry is fine but she locks herself in a room for 5-10 hours and won't even respond to me. That irritates me the most. If by chance the door is open and when I enter, she won't see me and just go away like I'm some sort of stranger. I explained a lot but conveying this is wrong and it hurts me a lot, but still she does the same. I cried like a baby when I held her for not allowing her to leave the room.This has become a habit. In 4.5 months this happened for 2-3 months. My parents came home recently. Even during that time when we went out she got angry on a few things. I am not sure what it was about. When I am with family, I should respond to their needs but can't stay with her completely right? Why she can't understand it?I have to plead with her 1-2 hours to talk to me on the issue and then she tells me 'I did this/that and due to this, she got angry like the one I gave example above.She doesn't wake up till 8:30 or 9am. She won't cook or help me with household activities. And even when my mom came to teach her cooking, she didn't go. But in general, she says I want to learn cooking and especially learn what my husband likes.How much I can do? I'm getting frustrated with this behaviour and even informed her 'You're making me afraid to talk to you thinking what might get you angry.' Still no use. Please help me.

Dear SD,

I have heard your side of the story but haven’t heard your wife on the same issue.

It seems the way you have described that your wife’s behaviour is unreasonable and selfish.

But I do believe that it takes two to tango.

What ever made her turn around differently from what she agreed upon before marriage?

Was she forced into this marriage?

Maybe it’s time to ask her:

What can I do for you?

What about me or my behaviour annoys you?

These questions shift from blame game to a solution space where you also take on the onus along with her to make the marriage work.

Obviously, something isn’t going on right and instead of bringing more instances that will prove that she’s at fault, why not bring in a space where the two of you work on your marriage.

Most times, just a shift in this thinking saves marriages and relationships.

All the best!

..Read more


Kanchan Rai  |287 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Jul 13, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 13, 2023Hindi
I am a 53 year old male having troubled relationship with my wife off late. I am married for 26 years & was happy for 25 years. Recently due to my friendship & chatting with some female friends my wife grew suspicious & started keeping watch on my phone & location through setting on phone. I didnt mind as I was not having any wrong intention & relationship with any female friend. Problem started when my wife started interfering in my daily work by calling during office hours and asking what I am doing and with whom I am chatting etc. 1-2 times in a week this questioning turns into arguments & she use abusive language to confront. She claims that this issue of my infidelity haunts her all day and she cant sleep properly during night. Is she having some psychotic problem? Do we have to seek counseling together or she needs a Psychologist help? She is happy for 2-3 days in a week & this problem is not a everyday problem as she is pretty normal on other days.I love her unconditionally & cant see her sinking like this. Please help.
Ans: I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties in your relationship. I can offer you some general suggestions that might help in this situation.

Open and honest communication: Sit down with your wife during a calm moment and have an open conversation about your concerns and feelings. It's important to express your love and commitment to her, and also address the impact her actions are having on your relationship.
Seek couples counseling: A professional counselor or therapist can help both of you navigate through these issues. Couples counseling provides a safe space for open communication and can assist in resolving conflicts, rebuilding trust, and improving the overall dynamics of your relationship.
Individual counseling: In addition to couples counseling, your wife may benefit from individual therapy to address her feelings of insecurity, anxiety, and trust issues. A psychologist or therapist can provide her with support and guidance to work through her concerns.
Establish boundaries and trust-building measures: It's important to establish boundaries that both of you are comfortable with regarding friendships and privacy. Rebuilding trust might involve setting guidelines for communication, being transparent about your activities, and reassurance about your commitment to the relationship.
Patience and empathy: Remember that this process may take time, and it's essential to be patient and understanding with each other. Try to empathize with your wife's feelings and reassure her of your love and commitment. Encourage her to express her concerns and fears openly so you can work through them together.

It's important to note that only a qualified mental health professional can provide an accurate assessment. If you believe your wife's behavior is indicative of a larger mental health issue, it would be advisable to seek the guidance of a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Ultimately, seeking professional help can provide you both with the necessary tools and guidance to work through these challenges and strengthen your relationship.

..Read more


Anu Krishna  |1044 Answers  |Ask -

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Aug 21, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Aug 19, 2023Hindi
I'm 68 and my wife is 62, I had heart bypass surgery 9 years ago and she underwent Angioplasty 2 years ago, I had a fling with a foreigner around 4 years ago and we went out twice for a few days and I got caught since she has the habit of peeping into my mobile and copied my conversation and pics and she keeps nagging me for that episode, though it was four years ago and since then we haven't met but her nagging and abuses in front of friends and relatives and family hasn't stopped, whenever I want to have sex, I literally have to beg and listen to her taunts and abuses and that puts me off, I have asked for forgiveness and said sorry more than a thousand times but in vain, she still keeps on taunting and abusing me whenever she's in bad mood and forwards me my pics and messages and makes an issue of it. How to solve this is a mystery.
Ans: Dear Anonymous,
Hurt is hurt and healing from that hurt is difficult as there has been a break in trust.
A mere 'sorry' will not suffice as your wife's taunts reflect her deep hurt. You seriously have to earn her trust all over again...
- Doing things for her that you have not done before
- Offering to help even if she does not ask for it
AND then the game changer:
- Listening to her express her hurt (taunts) and say: I am sorry! I know that you feel hurt by what I did and I want to make it up to you. What do you feel I can do more for you begin to trust me again? (expressing it this way only tells her that you care enough to want to work towards rebuilding the relationship).

If it doesn't work the first time, then try again...This may feel very silly to do, but well, it works like magic! A lot of patience is necessary when you are attempting to rebuild a relationship and YES, don't leave any stone unturned.

All the best!

..Read more

Latest Questions

Ramalingam Kalirajan  |5055 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Jul 19, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 14, 2024Hindi
I am a 27 years old Software Engineer. I had a fixed income of 1 Lakh per month, out of which my expenses were 25k to parents, 10k to spouse and 15k monthly personal expenses. After all expenses I would save 50k per month. I recently got a job offer of 42 LPA, so my income now is 3.5L per month. I don't intend to change my lifestyle, so my expenses would still be 50k per month, and I intend to save around 3L per month. I had invested in Equity Funds once a small amount of 10k, and it had given decent returns so I would like to know how I can best utilise my new income going forward from here, not just in equity funds but everywhere, where I can invest that will help me grow. I don't have any emi or loans.
Ans: You are a 27-year-old software engineer.

Your new job offers Rs 42 LPA, so your income is Rs 3.5L per month.

Your monthly expenses are Rs 50k, allowing you to save Rs 3L per month.

You have previously invested Rs 10k in equity funds with good returns.

Financial Goals and Planning
Emergency Fund
Priority: Build an emergency fund.

Liquidity: Keep 6-12 months' expenses in a savings account or liquid funds.

Purpose: Provides financial security during emergencies.

Diversified Investment Strategy
Equity Mutual Funds
Growth Potential: Allocate Rs 1L to equity mutual funds.

Fund Types: Invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and diversified equity funds.

SIPs: Continue with systematic investment plans for rupee cost averaging.

Debt Mutual Funds
Stability: Allocate Rs 50k to debt mutual funds.

Safety: Provides stability and reduces overall portfolio risk.

Returns: Offers better returns than traditional savings accounts.

Balanced Mutual Funds
Hybrid Approach: Invest Rs 50k in balanced or hybrid funds.

Balance Risk: These funds balance equity and debt, offering moderate risk and returns.

ELSS Funds
Tax Benefits: Invest Rs 50k in ELSS funds for tax savings under Section 80C.

Equity Exposure: Provides equity exposure with tax benefits.

Long-Term Security: Invest Rs 25k in Public Provident Fund (PPF).

Retirement Planning: Consider investing Rs 25k in the National Pension System (NPS) for retirement planning.

Gold and Digital Gold
Diversification: Invest Rs 20k in gold or digital gold.

Hedge Against Inflation: Gold acts as a hedge against inflation.

Insurance Coverage
Health Insurance
Adequate Cover: Ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage for yourself and dependents.

Additional Coverage: Consider a top-up plan if needed.

Term Insurance
Life Cover: Consider a term insurance plan for financial security for your family.

Adequate Sum: Ensure the cover is sufficient to support your dependents in case of unforeseen events.

Regular Review and Adjustments
Annual Financial Review
Performance Check: Review your portfolio annually.

Rebalance: Adjust your investments based on performance and changing goals.

Final Insights
Your new income allows for substantial savings and investment opportunities. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and balanced mutual funds. Consider tax-saving instruments like ELSS and PPF. Ensure adequate insurance coverage for health and life. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio to stay aligned with your financial goals.

Best Regards,

K. Ramalingam, MBA, CFP,

Chief Financial Planner,


...Read more


Samraat Jadhav  |1870 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Jul 19, 2024

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds