Tax Expert - Answered on Aug 19, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
AMARESH Question by AMARESH on Aug 17, 2023Hindi

I had one house and two flats. I sold one house in May 2023. I sold one flat in August 2023. My house sale gave me a capital gain and my flat sale gave me a capital loss. I have three questions. 1. Can I net out the capital gains by deducting the loss on sale of my flat 2. Can I invest in a new flat for the net capital gains amount to get exempt from paying capital gains tax. 3. If answer for 2 is no, can I invest in 54EC bonds to get exemption from paying capital gains tax

Ans: Taxable capital gain is the net amount of gain earned from all the capital asset. Thus, Capital gain from 1 capital asset can be set off against loss from another capital asset.

Section 54 provides that in case person transfer house property and invest gain amount in acquiring new property, capital gain will be exempt. So you can invest net capital gain in new property within specified time limit.

Person must buy the residential house property 1 year before or 2 years from date of such transfer of property or construct the house property within 3 years from date of transfer of property.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Aug 07, 2023

Sir, during this month (August2023) I sold my flat which was purchased by me in 2010. The total sale consideration as per govt guidelines was Rs 5973000/ and was registered at that amount, accordingly TDS at 1% on it was deducted at Rs 59730 and was credited to the govt account. My query is , TDS on sale of property at 1% is applicable in case the amount of sale exceeds Rs 50.00 lakhs . Whether the TDS is applicable on full sale consideration or on the difference amount ie, (5973000-500000)Rs 973000. 2. I had purchased the flat in April 2010 and the purchase price was Rs 3150000/ including Stamp duty, Registration charges and small amount towards interior work. I request you to advise me the applicability of Capital Gain Tax on it. Now I do not want to invest in any new property or in Capital gain bonds, I want to pay the applicable tax and close the transaction. Please advise me about the applicable Tax and close the formalities applicable in this regard. Siddramappa Kudarimoti.
Ans: The TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) of 1% on the sale of property exceeding Rs 50 lakhs is applicable on the full sale consideration. In your case, since the total sale consideration was Rs 5,973,000, the TDS of Rs 59,730 was deducted as per the guidelines. Based on the information you've provided, you might be liable for Capital Gains Tax. Capital Gains Tax is calculated based on the difference between the selling price and the indexed purchase price. The indexed purchase price adjusts the original purchase price for inflation over the holding period.
The tax on long-term capital gains is usually 20% (plus applicable surcharge and cess) after considering any exemptions or deductions available under Section 54 or Section 54F if you are not investing in another property or capital gains bonds.

To close the transaction and fulfill your tax obligations, you should consider the following steps:

a. Calculate Capital Gains: As explained above, calculate the capital gains based on the indexed purchase price and selling price.

b. Pay Capital Gains Tax: If you decide not to invest in another property or capital gains bonds, you will need to pay the applicable capital gains tax. You can do this by filling out the appropriate sections in your income tax return and paying the tax amount.

c. File Income Tax Return: Ensure that you accurately report the capital gains in your income tax return for the assessment year.

d. Keep Documentation: Maintain all relevant documents related to the property sale, purchase, and tax calculations for future reference

sir i am retired person with poor pension of rs.18000 however i have jewel loan of Rs. 8 lakhs for which i am paying R.10000 INTEREST THOUGH I AM HAVING STOCK VALUE OF RS. 3.00.000 FOR WHICH I TRADED AND GETTING SMALL PORTION OF PROFIT I USED TO PAY THE SAME FOR INTEREST-IN THIS JUNCTURE I NEEDED YOUR HELP HOW TO OVER COME THIS TYPE OF MY DEBIT POSITION FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS -GIVE ME A IDEA TO COME UP FROM THIS DEBIT SOONER OR LATER WITH PROPER GUIDANCEPLEASE-VIJAYAKUMAR J
Ans: Mr. Vijayakumar, thank you for sharing your financial situation. It's clear you're facing significant challenges. Your pension is Rs. 18,000, and you have a jewel loan of Rs. 8 lakhs with an interest of Rs. 10,000 per month. You also have stock investments worth Rs. 3 lakhs, which provide some profit to cover the interest.

Firstly, let's appreciate your efforts in managing your finances despite these difficulties. Your perseverance is commendable. Now, let's explore some strategies to help you overcome your debt and improve your financial health.

Assessing Your Monthly Cash Flow
Your monthly pension of Rs. 18,000 is your primary source of income. However, paying Rs. 10,000 towards the interest on your jewel loan leaves you with only Rs. 8,000 for other expenses. This tight budget makes it challenging to manage your finances effectively.

To address this, we need to look at ways to either increase your income or reduce your expenses. Let’s explore some potential strategies.

Reducing Monthly Expenses
One immediate step is to review your monthly expenses. Identify areas where you can cut down costs. This could include reducing discretionary spending, such as dining out or entertainment. Even small savings can add up over time and provide some financial relief.

Additionally, consider negotiating with service providers for lower rates on utilities or phone bills. Every bit of savings will help improve your cash flow.

Liquidating Non-Essential Assets
Given your current debt situation, it's important to consider liquidating non-essential assets. You mentioned having stock investments worth Rs. 3 lakhs. While trading stocks can generate some profit, relying on this income to pay interest on a large loan isn't sustainable.

Selling a portion or all of these stocks can provide you with a lump sum amount. This money can be used to pay off a part of your jewel loan, reducing the principal and, consequently, the monthly interest payments.

Exploring Additional Income Sources
Increasing your income can significantly improve your financial situation. Here are a few ideas to consider:

Part-Time Work: Explore opportunities for part-time work that align with your skills and experience. Even a few hours a week can supplement your pension.

Freelancing: If you have expertise in a particular field, consider freelancing. Platforms like Upwork or Freelancer offer opportunities for various skill sets.

Tutoring: If you have knowledge in a subject area, tutoring can be a rewarding way to earn extra income. Online tutoring platforms make it easier to connect with students.

These additional income sources can provide some financial cushion and help you manage your loan payments more effectively.

Evaluating Your Loan Options
High-interest loans can quickly become a financial burden. It might be worthwhile to explore options for refinancing your jewel loan. Here are a few steps to consider:

Negotiating with Your Lender: Speak with your current lender to see if there's any possibility of reducing the interest rate on your jewel loan. Explain your situation and request a more favorable rate.

Loan Consolidation: If you have multiple loans, consolidating them into a single loan with a lower interest rate can simplify your payments and reduce the overall interest burden.

Switching Lenders: Compare rates from different lenders. If you find a lender offering a lower interest rate, consider transferring your loan to them. This can result in significant interest savings.

Seeking Professional Advice
Given the complexity of your financial situation, it may be beneficial to seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). A CFP can provide personalized guidance and help you create a comprehensive financial plan. They can assist with budgeting, debt management, and investment strategies tailored to your needs.

Benefits of Working with a CFP
Working with a Certified Financial Planner offers several advantages:

Expertise: CFPs have extensive knowledge and training in financial planning. They can provide expert advice based on your specific circumstances.

Personalized Guidance: A CFP will take the time to understand your financial goals and challenges. They can create a tailored plan to help you achieve financial stability.

Long-Term Planning: A CFP can help you develop a long-term financial strategy, including retirement planning, investment management, and debt reduction.

Assessing Investment Options
While stocks can provide returns, relying solely on stock trading for income is risky. It's important to diversify your investments to reduce risk and ensure a more stable income. Let's discuss the advantages of actively managed funds over index funds.

Index funds have their drawbacks. They are passively managed and simply aim to replicate the performance of a specific index. This lack of active management means they cannot adapt to market changes. During market downturns, index funds often suffer significant losses, as they are tied to the overall market performance.

Actively managed funds, on the other hand, are overseen by professional fund managers who make strategic decisions based on market conditions. These managers aim to outperform the market and protect your investments during volatile times.

Flexibility: Active fund managers can adjust the portfolio based on market trends and economic conditions.

Risk Management: Active managers can take defensive positions during market downturns to minimize losses.

Potential for Higher Returns: With strategic management, actively managed funds have the potential to deliver higher returns compared to index funds.

Reinvesting in Mutual Funds
If you hold LIC, ULIP, or investment cum insurance policies, consider surrendering these and reinvesting in mutual funds. These policies often have high fees and lower returns compared to mutual funds.

Direct funds may seem attractive due to lower expense ratios, but they lack professional guidance. Investing directly requires significant time and expertise. Making the wrong investment choices can lead to substantial losses.

Benefits of Regular Funds with CFP Guidance
Regular funds, invested through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD) with a CFP credential, offer several benefits:

Professional Advice: You get access to expert advice and investment recommendations.

Convenience: Regular funds simplify the investment process, saving you time and effort.

Risk Management: A CFP can help manage risk and ensure your investments align with your financial goals.

Creating a Debt Repayment Plan
To overcome your debt, it's crucial to have a structured repayment plan. Here are some steps to consider:

Prioritize High-Interest Debt
Focus on paying off the debt with the highest interest rate first. This will help reduce the overall interest burden.

Make Extra Payments
Whenever possible, make extra payments towards your loan principal. This will reduce the principal amount faster and lower the total interest paid over time.

Automate Payments
Set up automatic payments to ensure you never miss a due date. This will help avoid late fees and keep you on track with your repayment plan.

Exploring Government Schemes and Assistance
In India, several government schemes and assistance programs can help senior citizens manage their finances. Research and explore these options to see if you qualify for any benefits. These programs can provide financial support and ease your burden.

Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS)
The SCSS offers a secure investment option with regular interest payouts. It provides financial stability and is designed specifically for senior citizens.

Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY)
PMVVY is a pension scheme for senior citizens, offering a fixed monthly pension. It provides financial security and peace of mind.

Mr. Vijayakumar, managing your finances during retirement can be challenging, but with the right strategies, you can improve your situation. Focus on reducing expenses, increasing income, and exploring refinancing options for your jewel loan. Consider liquidating non-essential assets and reinvesting wisely with professional guidance.

Remember, seeking advice from a Certified Financial Planner can provide you with personalized guidance and help you create a comprehensive financial plan. Take advantage of government schemes designed for senior citizens to ease your financial burden.

Your perseverance and dedication are truly admirable. By taking these steps, you can work towards overcoming your debt and achieving financial stability.

Hi Sir, I am a 49 single mother. I have monthly SIP,s of 31 k amounting to 80 L in MFs, PPF 12L, FDs 12 L, 15 L in Senior citizen scheme on my mom's name, and no loans. I also have a LIC jeevan Saral policy of 7.2 L, which I want to close. Kindly advice me how do I maximise my returns and accumulate a corpus of 3 Cr, before my retirement.
Ans: First, let’s review your current investments and savings. You have a diverse portfolio with investments in mutual funds (MFs), Public Provident Fund (PPF), Fixed Deposits (FDs), a Senior Citizen Scheme, and an LIC Jeevan Saral policy. Your monthly Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) amount to Rs 31,000, accumulating Rs 80 lakh in MFs. You also have Rs 12 lakh in PPF, Rs 12 lakh in FDs, and Rs 15 lakh in a Senior Citizen Scheme under your mother’s name. The LIC Jeevan Saral policy stands at Rs 7.2 lakh.

It’s commendable that you’ve maintained a disciplined approach to saving and investing. Now, let’s discuss how to optimize your returns and aim for a corpus of Rs 3 crore by retirement.

Evaluating Current Investments
Mutual funds are a good choice for long-term wealth creation. They offer diversification and professional management. Your current investment in MFs through SIPs is a robust strategy. However, you should periodically review the performance of your funds. Ensure that your portfolio is well-diversified across various sectors and fund categories. Focus on actively managed funds, as they can potentially offer higher returns compared to index funds.

PPF is a safe and tax-efficient investment. It offers tax benefits under Section 80C and provides tax-free returns. However, the returns are relatively lower compared to equity MFs. Given your goal, consider continuing your contributions but not increasing them significantly.

Fixed Deposits (FDs)
FDs offer safety and guaranteed returns. However, the interest rates are lower than the inflation rate, which can erode your purchasing power over time. It’s wise to maintain some FDs for liquidity and safety but consider reducing the allocation and moving some funds to higher-yielding investments.

Senior Citizen Scheme
The Senior Citizen Scheme is a good investment for regular income. It offers safety and decent returns. Since it’s under your mother’s name, it can continue to provide a steady income stream.

LIC Jeevan Saral Policy
The LIC Jeevan Saral policy has not performed well historically compared to mutual funds. Surrendering the policy and reinvesting the proceeds in equity mutual funds could yield better returns in the long term. Consult with the insurer to understand the surrender value and process before making a decision.

Strategies to Maximize Returns
Increasing SIP Contributions
Consider increasing your SIP contributions whenever possible. An increase of 10-15% annually can significantly boost your corpus. This strategy leverages the power of compounding, helping you achieve your financial goal faster.

Diversifying Within Mutual Funds
Ensure your mutual fund portfolio is well-diversified. Invest across large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Each category has its risk and return profile. A balanced mix can provide stability and growth. Additionally, sectoral and thematic funds can be included for added diversification but in smaller proportions.

Regular Portfolio Review
Conduct a regular review of your portfolio, at least once a year. Assess the performance of your funds and make necessary adjustments. Switching underperforming funds and rebalancing the portfolio as per market conditions is crucial for optimizing returns.

Tax-Efficient Investments
Utilize tax-efficient investment options to maximize your post-tax returns. Besides PPF, consider investing in Equity-Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS) for their tax benefits under Section 80C and potential for higher returns. However, ensure that tax-saving investments align with your overall financial goals and risk appetite.

Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be kept in liquid assets like savings accounts or short-term FDs. It ensures financial stability during unforeseen circumstances without disrupting your investment strategy.

Evaluate your risk tolerance and adjust your portfolio accordingly. As you approach retirement, gradually shift towards more conservative investments to protect your corpus. A higher allocation to debt funds and safer instruments can provide stability while still offering reasonable returns.

Long-Term Investment Discipline
Consistency in Investments
Maintaining a consistent investment approach is key to wealth creation. Avoid frequent switching based on market volatility. Stick to your investment plan and remain patient for long-term gains.

Goal-Based Investing
Align your investments with your financial goals. Clearly define your retirement corpus target and the time horizon. This approach helps in selecting suitable investment options and maintaining focus.

Reinvesting Dividends
Reinvest dividends and interest earned from your investments. This practice enhances the compounding effect, accelerating the growth of your corpus. Ensure that your MF investments are in growth options rather than dividend payout options.

Avoiding Common Pitfalls
Avoid Over-Concentration
Diversify your investments to avoid over-concentration in any single asset class or sector. This strategy mitigates risks and enhances the potential for higher returns.

Beware of Inflation
Inflation can erode your purchasing power over time. Focus on investments that offer inflation-beating returns. Equity mutual funds and other growth-oriented investments are essential for maintaining the real value of your corpus.

Monitor Expenses
Keep an eye on the expenses related to your investments. High expense ratios and fees can eat into your returns. Opt for funds with reasonable expense ratios and ensure that the returns justify the costs.

Seeking Professional Guidance
While this plan provides a comprehensive approach, it’s advisable to seek the guidance of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). A CFP can offer personalized advice based on your unique financial situation and goals. They can help you navigate complex investment choices and ensure your portfolio is aligned with your retirement objective.

Leveraging Technology
Financial Planning Tools
Utilize financial planning tools and apps to track your investments and progress towards your goal. These tools offer valuable insights and help in making informed decisions.

Automating Investments
Automate your investments through SIPs and other systematic plans. Automation ensures discipline and consistency in your investment approach. It also reduces the temptation to time the market.

Reaching a corpus of Rs 3 crore before retirement is achievable with a strategic and disciplined approach. By optimizing your current investments, increasing your SIP contributions, and diversifying your portfolio, you can maximize returns. Regular reviews, risk management, and seeking professional guidance will further enhance your financial journey. Stay committed to your goals and make informed decisions to secure a comfortable retirement.

Hello sir, I am 28 years old living alone and earning 33 thousand per month and my total expenses are 15000 thousand a month that includes my personal expenses, house maintenance, bills, S.I.P etc. I am roughly able to save 18000 thousand a month. I live in my parents gifted house, have no on going loans, 80,000 is invested in equity market and 1,30,000 is invested in together total 4 equity and 1 hybrid mutual funds with a SIP of 1500 in ICICI value discovery fund. I have a health insurance of 2 Lakh rupees, 3 Lakhs in fixed deposit, 50,000 in postal scheme and 1,50,000 in savings. I wish to building a maximum corpus in next 20 years. Kindly advise on the same Thank you
Ans: First of all, congratulations on being financially disciplined at the age of 28. Your ability to save a significant portion of your income is commendable. Let’s delve into your financial situation and explore ways to maximise your corpus over the next 20 years.

Current Financial Overview
You are earning Rs 33,000 per month and spending Rs 15,000, allowing you to save Rs 18,000 monthly. You have a diversified portfolio including equity investments, mutual funds, fixed deposits, postal schemes, and savings. Additionally, you have health insurance and live in a debt-free house. These are excellent foundations for building wealth.

Emergency Fund and Insurance Coverage
An emergency fund is crucial. You have Rs 1.5 lakhs in savings and Rs 3 lakhs in fixed deposits, which is a good start. Aim to maintain an emergency fund that covers at least six months of your expenses. This ensures you have a safety net in case of unexpected events.

Health insurance is another critical aspect. You currently have a coverage of Rs 2 lakhs. Considering rising medical costs, it is advisable to enhance your health insurance to at least Rs 5 lakhs. This additional coverage can provide better protection against unforeseen medical expenses.

Investment Portfolio Analysis
Equity Market Investments:

You have Rs 80,000 invested in the equity market. Equity investments can provide significant returns over the long term but come with higher risk. Regularly monitor your investments and ensure they align with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Mutual Funds:

You have Rs 1,30,000 invested in a mix of four equity mutual funds and one hybrid mutual fund, with a SIP of Rs 1,500 in the ICICI Value Discovery Fund. Diversifying across different types of funds can reduce risk. However, actively managed funds often outperform passive index funds due to professional management and market expertise.

Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner to review the performance of your mutual funds and make adjustments if necessary. Regularly rebalancing your portfolio ensures it remains aligned with your financial goals and market conditions.

Fixed Deposits and Postal Schemes:

You have Rs 3 lakhs in fixed deposits and Rs 50,000 in a postal scheme. While these provide safety and assured returns, their growth potential is limited. Given your long-term horizon, you might want to shift a portion of these funds into higher-growth investment options such as equity mutual funds.

Maximising Savings and Investments
Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):

Your current SIP of Rs 1,500 in the ICICI Value Discovery Fund is a good start. SIPs help in averaging the cost of investments and mitigate market volatility. Increasing your SIP amount can significantly enhance your corpus over time. Given your ability to save Rs 18,000 monthly, consider allocating a larger portion to SIPs in various mutual funds.

Benefits of Regular Funds Over Direct Funds:

Direct funds might seem appealing due to lower expense ratios, but they require constant monitoring and expertise. Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner, provide professional guidance, periodic reviews, and rebalancing of your portfolio. This can lead to better-informed decisions and potentially higher returns.

Diversification and Risk Management
Asset Allocation:

A balanced asset allocation strategy can help manage risk and optimise returns. Consider spreading your investments across different asset classes such as equities, debt, and gold. This diversification can protect your portfolio from market fluctuations.

Review and Rebalance:

Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it stays aligned with your goals. Rebalancing involves adjusting the weightage of different asset classes based on their performance and your risk tolerance. This practice helps maintain the desired risk-reward balance.

Starting Early:

Starting your retirement planning early gives you a significant advantage due to the power of compounding. With a 20-year investment horizon, even small, regular contributions can grow substantially. Consider investing in a mix of equity and debt mutual funds tailored to your risk profile and retirement goals.

Retirement Corpus Estimation:

Estimate your retirement corpus based on your future financial needs, considering factors like inflation and lifestyle changes. Use retirement planning tools or consult a Certified Financial Planner to determine the amount required and devise a strategy to achieve it.

Utilising Tax Benefits:

Utilise tax-saving investment options under Section 80C, such as Equity-Linked Savings Schemes (ELSS), Public Provident Fund (PPF), and National Savings Certificate (NSC). These not only help in tax saving but also provide good returns over the long term.

Efficient Tax Management:

Efficient tax planning involves strategically investing in tax-saving instruments and ensuring optimal use of available deductions. Regularly reviewing and adjusting your tax planning strategies can enhance your post-tax returns.

Long-Term Investment Strategies
Compounding Power:

Leverage the power of compounding by staying invested for the long term. Compounding can significantly boost your returns, especially when you reinvest the earnings from your investments. The longer your investment horizon, the more you benefit from compounding.

Avoid Timing the Market:

Market timing is challenging and often leads to suboptimal returns. Focus on a disciplined investment approach rather than trying to predict market movements. Regular investments through SIPs and staying invested through market cycles can yield better results.

Financial Discipline and Monitoring
Staying Committed:

Financial discipline is crucial for achieving your goals. Stick to your savings and investment plan, and avoid unnecessary expenses. Regularly track your progress and make adjustments as needed.

Periodic Reviews:

Conduct periodic reviews of your financial plan to ensure it remains relevant and effective. Life events and market conditions can impact your financial situation, so it’s essential to adapt your plan accordingly.

Building a significant corpus over the next 20 years requires a disciplined approach, strategic planning, and regular monitoring. Your current financial habits are commendable, and with some adjustments, you can further enhance your investment portfolio.

Consider increasing your SIP contributions, diversifying your investments, and enhancing your health insurance coverage. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay aligned with your goals. Efficient tax planning and leveraging the power of compounding will also play a crucial role in achieving your financial objectives.

Consulting with a Certified Financial Planner can provide professional guidance and help optimise your investment strategy. Stay committed to your financial plan, and you’ll be well on your way to building a substantial corpus for your future.

My father in law was a widower and living with his brother.They had purchased a flat in Mumbai which was in joint name. how can my wife get her share in that flat. Her uncle says it was in either or survivor. Can the resident society delete my FIL 's name and transfer it in uncle's name without consent of my wife and her sister who are the only heirs of the deceased.
Ans: Your father-in-law (FIL) and his brother purchased a flat in Mumbai. The flat is in their joint names. After your father-in-law's passing, there are questions about how your wife can claim her share. Her uncle claims it was in either-or-survivor mode. You need to understand the legal and procedural aspects of this situation.

The Either-or-Survivor Clause
In property co-ownership, an either-or-survivor clause means that upon the death of one owner, the surviving owner becomes the sole owner. This is often used in bank accounts and property to simplify transfers.

However, this clause's applicability in your situation needs to be verified. The property's registration details and the agreement between the owners at the time of purchase are crucial.

Legal Heirs and Succession Rights
Indian inheritance laws protect the rights of legal heirs. If your father-in-law did not leave a will, the property would be divided according to the Hindu Succession Act. Your wife and her sister are legal heirs. They have a rightful claim to their father's share of the property.

Even if the property has an either-or-survivor clause, the legal heirs can challenge this. The society cannot transfer the flat solely based on the uncle's word. Proper legal procedures must be followed.

Society's Role and Consent
A housing society plays a significant role in the transfer of property titles. They ensure compliance with legal norms and protect members' rights. Your wife's consent and her sister's are necessary for the transfer process. The society cannot delete your father-in-law's name and transfer it to the uncle without this consent.

Steps to Assert Your Wife's Rights
1. Review Property Documents
Check the flat's purchase agreement and registration details. Verify if the either-or-survivor clause exists. Understand the exact nature of the ownership.

2. Obtain Legal Consultation
Consult a property lawyer. They can guide you on how to assert your wife's rights. They will help you understand the implications of the either-or-survivor clause and inheritance laws.

3. Issue a Legal Notice
If necessary, issue a legal notice to the housing society and your uncle. This notice should state your wife and her sister's claim to their father's share of the property.

4. Engage with the Housing Society
Meet with the society's management. Provide them with the necessary legal documents. Explain your wife's rights and request their cooperation in the transfer process.

Potential Challenges and How to Overcome Them
Misunderstanding of Legal Rights
The uncle may not fully understand the legal rights of the heirs. Clear communication and legal guidance can help resolve this.

Resistance from the Society
The society may hesitate to get involved in a family dispute. Providing them with clear legal directives can help them understand their role and responsibilities.

Benefits of Legal Guidance
Clarity and Confidence
Legal experts can provide clarity on complex issues. This helps you proceed with confidence.

Proper Documentation
Lawyers ensure all necessary documentation is in place. This prevents future disputes and complications.

Protecting Your Wife's Interests
Open Communication
Maintain open communication with all parties involved. This includes the uncle, the housing society, and legal advisors. Transparency can help in resolving issues amicably.

Documentation and Evidence
Keep all relevant documents and correspondence. This includes the purchase agreement, any legal notices, and communication with the society. These documents can be crucial in legal proceedings.

Dealing with property inheritance can be complex. However, understanding the legal aspects and asserting your rights can ensure a fair resolution. Your wife and her sister have rightful claims to their father's share of the property. With the right approach and legal guidance, you can navigate this situation effectively.

i am in love with my cousin bhabhi since last 10 years , we both have same age 40 years old. and had many time sexual relationship with each other, before 2-3 years back she want to stop this relationship due to her kids growing up, and we not spend time at her house due to her adult child now. but after my force we started this again and whenever we have chance we has sexual activity, but now since last 3-4 months she again ignoring me and want to stop our relationship again, as per my knowledge she ignoring me becz i dont spend much money on her rather them my wire, i also want to stop and thinking many time, but again we start this, plz help wht to do now for better, becz still i am searching time at her home to meet her alone.
Ans: Dear Suresh,
Find a house faraway from hers and let her carry on with her life and you carry on with yours...
Your relationship seems to have no future; it was just the lust that kept it on. Now that she has clearly stated that she wants to stop as the children are growing up, why are you insisting on carrying it on? It will damage all your other close relationships as well!
Move on please...

Dear Anonymous,
No, Age is not so important in a marriage; but if it isn't, then why did you hide the fact of your real age? You have givem it that importance enough to hide it, yeah?
And any relationship based on lies or a hidden fact can cause damages...
The only way that I can see is work with the Counselor and appeal to your husband as well. Tell him that your child needs the love of both parents. Hear what he has to say...and yes, he is bound to bring up the age factor over and over again...it is something that he feels cheated with...so, respect it...Like I said, Apologize like you really mean it...

And oh, why are you so bothered about how he will treat other women in his life? Just focus on your life and your marriage...

Hi mam, I was in a relationship with a guy for 3 months he was uneducated but I’m a S.E. Initially everything was fine but later he started like u should not talk with other boys you should not go there you should not wear this kind of dress, I’m your husband so you should listen to me whatever I say u should do that like he started. Then he started mentally abused with so many bad words nd he slapped me twice. So I decided I don’t want to be in this relationship so I said him. Then he kept some fellows to follow me to check wat I’m doing where I’m going to get all these details. And then he said I will show both of our to your family, I will kill you like this he started. Now it is almost 2 year I’m leading my life but sometimes he will call me he will threaten me I don’t know what to do how to overcome this I can’t tell to my family I’m depressed can u please tell me what I have to do
Are you married? Because he said that he is your husband...I am confused...

Anyway, NO, he has no business controlling you this way...Emotional and Physical Abuse is a strict NO NO...
Tell your family and do that NOW!!!!!!!
This man seems to be acting in a violent manner and your safety should be more of a concern...it was 2 slaps, then after that? When you did not protest for that, he simply has got the message that violence is okay with you...
No, it's not okay, right? And that's why you wrote on this platform...

Do the right thing for yourself...Protect yourself from this person first! Threats of killing you did not set off alarm bells? Why are you still letting him off so easy? This is NOT love...he is just a familiar person to you.
Familiarity does not mean Safety!!!!!! (Read this again)...

Involve your family and let him know that you are not alone; he will stop his threats knowing that you will respond to the rubbish he is subjecting you to! Speak with your family...

Dear Anonymous,

I am a 32M year old married man, working in a MNC with no to very low growth in my professional career.On the other hand my wife 28F is career oriented lady, great academician, working as an assistant professor in a good university. I feel very happy for her and on the other hand I feel I am not correct for her, as I am very average, stuck in my job, with a doubtful career growth. Please help. Should I let her know to move onn with someone better than me. She does love me and raises no concerns at all, but the feeling of dismay is from my end.
Why` exactly are you assuming things for her?
If she seems to be unbothered by who is earning how much, they why are you putting so much effort into it and creating a problem?
She loves you, supports you...what you can do is also the same...Love her and support her without focusing much on who is earning how much etc. If you had earned more and she had earned less, that would have been okay? You are just giving into the patriarchal system, aren't you?
Instead rejoice in the fact, that all is well and your marriage is wonderful...So, time to remove the old cobwebs of male dominated thinking and make it a case of co-existence with your wife. She simply would want only that from you now...

Dear Anonymous,

Hello Dr Ashish - It has come to light recently that my own family members are working tirelessly to strain the relationship between my wife and myself. I came to know about it after almost 2 decades of my marriage. I am shocked to know that my character assassination has been happening since day 1. As I was very busy with my work and other commitments, I was completely not aware of these developments behind my back. Infact my wife also never revealed it to me. She is an independent woman working in a corporate. These differences have caused so much strain in our relationships. The mutual trust had taken a severe beating. At times I have seen her taken over by a feeling of helplessness. As things are clearer now, I am trying to alienate circumstances that might lead to any kind of differences. However, my wife does not think it is a good idea to stay away from our own people. The result is whenever these people come into our otherwise peaceful and a very comfortable life, we tend to fight over the differences created by them. Please advise what can be done here.
Ans: Navigating family dynamics, especially when it involves deep-rooted misunderstandings and long-standing tensions, can be exceptionally challenging. Here are some strategies to consider:

1. Open and Honest Communication
Begin by having a candid conversation with your wife. Acknowledge the feelings and experiences she has gone through. It's important to create a safe space where both of you can express your thoughts and emotions without judgment.

2. Set Boundaries
Discuss and establish boundaries regarding interactions with family members. These boundaries are not about cutting ties but about protecting your relationship from negative influences. Agree on what is acceptable and what isn't when it comes to family involvement.

3. Seek Professional Help
Consider seeking the assistance of a relationship counselor or a therapist. A neutral third party can facilitate conversations, helping both of you understand each other's perspectives better and find common ground.

4. Focus on Your Relationship
Spend quality time together, reconnecting and rebuilding trust. Engage in activities that you both enjoy and that strengthen your bond. This will help remind both of you why you chose each other in the first place.

5. Educate and Inform
Gently inform your family about the impact their actions have had on your relationship. This doesn’t have to be confrontational. Use “I” statements to express how their behavior has affected you and your marriage.

6. Mutual Support
Reinforce mutual support and understanding. Recognize that both of you are on the same team and that the goal is to protect and nurture your relationship. Express appreciation for each other’s efforts in navigating these challenges.

7. Long-term Perspective
Understand that change will not happen overnight. Be patient and persistent in your efforts to create a more harmonious environment. Celebrate small victories and progress in your relationship.

8. Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence
Practice mindfulness and enhance your emotional intelligence. Being aware of your own emotions and managing them effectively can help in responding rather than reacting to stressful situations. This can also aid in understanding your wife’s emotional responses better.

Final Thoughts
Building a fortress around your relationship doesn’t mean isolating yourselves from family but rather strengthening your bond to withstand external pressures. Your wife’s perspective on staying connected with family is valid, and finding a balance that respects both of your views is crucial. It’s about creating a unified front and handling external influences together.

This journey requires patience, understanding, and a commitment to each other. By taking these steps, you can work towards rebuilding trust and harmony in your marriage.

Hello sir, thanks for your previous response. I am a bit curious about how relationships fall into routine and predictability. We all know that every relationship has a phase where passion wanes and people settle in routine and predictable life. But only some of them get attracted towards potential partners outside while some don't. Why this happens and is it different for men and women?
Ans: Relationships, like any dynamic process, evolve over time. Initially, there's a phase filled with excitement and discovery, often driven by passion and novelty. As time progresses, this high-energy state transitions into a more stable and predictable pattern, which can sometimes be perceived as mundane. The predictability in relationships is not inherently negative; it provides a sense of security and trust. However, the challenge lies in maintaining the balance between comfort and excitement.

Why Some People Seek Excitement Outside the Relationship:
Unmet Needs:

When certain emotional, psychological, or physical needs aren't met within the relationship, individuals might seek fulfillment elsewhere. This isn't necessarily about dissatisfaction but about finding what they feel is missing.
Desire for Novelty:

Humans are naturally inclined towards novelty and excitement. Some individuals have a higher need for variety and may seek new experiences or connections outside their relationship to satisfy this craving.
Emotional Distance:

Over time, couples can drift apart emotionally. If there's a lack of emotional intimacy or unresolved conflicts, one might look for connection outside the relationship.
Validation and Self-Esteem:

Some people seek validation and a boost in self-esteem from new admirers. This external validation can be intoxicating, especially if they feel underappreciated within their current relationship.
Differences Between Men and Women:
While individual differences often overshadow gender differences, certain trends have been observed:

Social Conditioning:

Men and women are often socialized differently, affecting their approach to relationships and infidelity. Men might be conditioned to seek multiple partners to prove their virility, while women might seek emotional connections.
Emotional vs. Physical Needs:

Generally, women may seek emotional fulfillment, while men might be more inclined towards physical satisfaction. However, this is not a rule and varies greatly among individuals.
Communication Styles:

Women often emphasize emotional sharing and communication, which can prevent emotional drift. Men might struggle with this, leading to unmet emotional needs.
Risk vs. Reward:

Men might be more willing to take risks for immediate rewards, while women might consider the broader implications and long-term effects on the family and relationship.
Maintaining Balance and Preventing Predictability:
Open Communication:

Regularly discussing desires, needs, and concerns can prevent emotional drift and unmet needs.
Shared Activities:

Engaging in new activities together can reignite the spark and bring novelty into the relationship.
Emotional Intimacy:

Building and maintaining emotional intimacy through shared experiences, empathy, and understanding can strengthen the bond.
Self-Reflection:

Individuals should reflect on their own needs and communicate them effectively. Understanding oneself is key to understanding the relationship dynamics.
Appreciation and Gratitude:

Regularly expressing appreciation and gratitude can boost self-esteem and reinforce the positive aspects of the relationship.
In the end, each relationship is unique, and understanding the individual needs and dynamics at play is essential. By fostering open communication, emotional intimacy, and mutual respect, couples can navigate the phases of their relationship with greater ease and fulfillment.

Hi Sir, I am 42 years old man. I have one 7 years old daughter. Myself working in Private company as a Manager electronics and my wife Central Govt. Employee. We all three was together from last 7 years but recently my wife transferred to other city with daughter. Job related to my field not available in that city so I was not able to shift with them. My daughter and myself not able to stay away from each other but parallelly I am not able to leave job due to financial condition. Please guide me what to do ?
Ans: It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation, balancing the emotional needs of your family with the financial necessities of your job. Here's a structured approach to help you navigate this:

1. Evaluate Options for Proximity
Remote Work Opportunities: Explore if your current company or similar companies offer remote work options. Given the rise of remote work, there may be opportunities that align with your expertise.
Transfer Within Company: Inquire if your company has a branch or affiliated office in the city where your wife and daughter are now located.
2. Maximize Quality Time
Regular Visits: Schedule regular visits to see your wife and daughter. This could be every weekend or every other weekend, depending on distance and costs.
Virtual Interaction: Utilize video calls to maintain daily interaction. This can help maintain the emotional bond with your daughter.
3. Financial Planning
Budget Review: Reassess your financial situation to identify any adjustments or savings that can be made. This might help in managing travel expenses or saving towards potential relocation in the future.
Consult a Financial Advisor: If possible, seek professional advice to better manage your finances and explore options for creating a more flexible budget.
4. Support Network
Family and Friends: Lean on family and friends for emotional support. They can also help with practical matters, such as babysitting or providing company.
Professional Support: Consider speaking to a counselor or coach to navigate the emotional stress. This can provide strategies for coping and maintaining mental well-being.
5. Long-Term Planning
Career Development: Look into furthering your skills and qualifications. This can open up more opportunities, potentially even in the city your family is now in.
Explore Local Opportunities: Stay updated on the job market in both your current city and the new city. Networking can sometimes uncover opportunities that aren't immediately apparent.

Balancing these aspects will require flexibility, communication, and a bit of creativity. It's important to maintain open communication with your wife and daughter, ensuring that each step you take is aligned with their needs and yours. Remember, the goal is to find a sustainable way to support your family emotionally and financially. This might involve a series of small adjustments rather than one big change. Take it step by step, and be kind to yourself during this transition.