Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Aug 07, 2023

CA Tejas Chokshi has over 20 years of experience in financial planning, income tax planning, strategic and risk advisory, banking and financial products and accounting and auditing.
He is an information system auditor, a forensic auditor and concurrent bank auditor.
Siddramappa Question by Siddramappa on Aug 07, 2023Hindi

Sir, during this month (August2023) I sold my flat which was purchased by me in 2010. The total sale consideration as per govt guidelines was Rs 5973000/ and was registered at that amount, accordingly TDS at 1% on it was deducted at Rs 59730 and was credited to the govt account. My query is , TDS on sale of property at 1% is applicable in case the amount of sale exceeds Rs 50.00 lakhs . Whether the TDS is applicable on full sale consideration or on the difference amount ie, (5973000-500000)Rs 973000. 2. I had purchased the flat in April 2010 and the purchase price was Rs 3150000/ including Stamp duty, Registration charges and small amount towards interior work. I request you to advise me the applicability of Capital Gain Tax on it. Now I do not want to invest in any new property or in Capital gain bonds, I want to pay the applicable tax and close the transaction. Please advise me about the applicable Tax and close the formalities applicable in this regard. Siddramappa Kudarimoti.

Ans: The TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) of 1% on the sale of property exceeding Rs 50 lakhs is applicable on the full sale consideration. In your case, since the total sale consideration was Rs 5,973,000, the TDS of Rs 59,730 was deducted as per the guidelines. Based on the information you've provided, you might be liable for Capital Gains Tax. Capital Gains Tax is calculated based on the difference between the selling price and the indexed purchase price. The indexed purchase price adjusts the original purchase price for inflation over the holding period.
The tax on long-term capital gains is usually 20% (plus applicable surcharge and cess) after considering any exemptions or deductions available under Section 54 or Section 54F if you are not investing in another property or capital gains bonds.

To close the transaction and fulfill your tax obligations, you should consider the following steps:

a. Calculate Capital Gains: As explained above, calculate the capital gains based on the indexed purchase price and selling price.

b. Pay Capital Gains Tax: If you decide not to invest in another property or capital gains bonds, you will need to pay the applicable capital gains tax. You can do this by filling out the appropriate sections in your income tax return and paying the tax amount.

c. File Income Tax Return: Ensure that you accurately report the capital gains in your income tax return for the assessment year.

d. Keep Documentation: Maintain all relevant documents related to the property sale, purchase, and tax calculations for future reference

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 23, 2023

Hellow Sir, In February, 2023 I had sold a House Property and there is Capital Gain around 15.00 lakh. From the sale proceed I received, I have already bought a housing plot(land) costing Rs.11.00 Lakh, in May, 2023, in a Govt. approved scheme and this has also been registered in my favour. All other formalities for its mutation has also been completed. Since I am planning to construct house on this newly acquired Plot in next 2 years, kindly guide:- (1)whether the amount already incurred in acquiring above Housing Plot would also be considered against utilization of Capital Gain ? (2)the amount I have to kept in the Capital Gain Account Scheme for utilization during construction of House shall be Rs.15.00 Lakh OR Rs.4.00 Lakh (after deducting cost of Plot i.e. Rs.11.00 Lakh) ? Kindly Guide Regards !

I understand your situation and I'm here to help. Based on the details you've provided and the current tax laws in India, here's what you need to know:

1) The amount you've spent on acquiring the housing plot can indeed be considered for the utilization of your capital gain. As per the Income Tax Act, if you reinvest the capital gains from the sale of a property in buying a new property or constructing a new house, you can claim tax exemption on the capital gains.

2) The amount you need to keep in the Capital Gain Account Scheme (CGAS) would be the remaining amount after deducting the cost of the plot from the capital gain. In your case, if you've already spent Rs. 11.00 Lakh on the plot, you would need to keep Rs. 4.00 Lakh (Rs. 15.00 Lakh - Rs. 11.00 Lakh) in the CGAS. This amount should be utilized for the construction of the house within the specified time period, which is 3 years from the date of sale of the original property.

Financial Planner - Answered on Jul 28, 2023

I have some queries regarding tax on sale of my property which I need to show in my Income Tax return in FY-2023-24. I had purchased a flat in Kolkata at a total cost of 8.50 lacs [including registration cost] and registration was done in April, 2004. I had sold the said flat in May,2023 at Rs.31 lacs. My queries are :- 1. Do I need to pay Capital Gain tax on the sale of this flat ? 2. How much tax do I need to pay ? 3. How to show this capital gain income and tax in my Income Tax retirn next year ? Please advise. Regards, Ratan K. Saha
Ans: You need to understand the following things about taxation of your flat:-
1. You have earned a profit (called capital gains in this context) on the sale of your house. So tax is due.
2. However, tax will not simply be 31L – 8.5L. The Govt gives you an advantage of inflation over the years which increases your purchase cost through a process called ‘Indexation’, thus decreasing your tax. Please google and read up on it, or contact a good CA or a financial advisor.
3. You also get credit for registration and stamp duty charges, brokerages paid as also any improvements done in the house of a permanent nature.
4. Please read up on Income Tax Section 54 which also gives out how you can save tax on your final capital gains arrived at.
5. The entire calculations and sale/purchase details have to be shown in the ITR. Most probably you will be filling ITR-2 for this next year but please ascertain the same when you are about to file the tax since rules keep changing.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on Apr 14, 2024

Eventhough you are ready to Grab the oppurtunity and behave in flexible manner When you are not working currwntly it becomes nightmare to join a job once again HR dept, Interview panel Sr Mgmt dont look for Solutions to their Requirements posted online whether it is Naukri or Indeed or Linkedin Getting selected but not finalising Putting Selected candidates on hold for 2 to 3 / Even 3 to 6 months shows worst economy In india especially post covid scenario Not able to recover in career to bring myself back on track after innumerable attempts Location constraints Language constraints Relavang exp / Relavant ind constraints Age constraints Slow Decision making from Corp Mgmt and BUSINESS HEAD / MD / CEO Facing rejection with cool attitude
Ans: Thank you for sharing it to me. It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation, and I understand how frustrating it can be to navigate the job market, especially in the current economic climate. Here are some insights and strategies to help you cope with these challenges:

Despite facing setbacks and rejections, it's essential to remain persistent and resilient in your job search. Keep applying to relevant positions, refining your resume and cover letter, and reach out your professionals network in your industry and consider broadening your job search criteria to include a wider range of industries, roles, and locations to help yourself. Invest your time in continuous learning and skill development to enhance your qualifications and make yourself more competitive in the job market by pursuing certifications, online courses, or workshops relevant to your field to stay updated with industry trends and requirements. Try to attend industry events, join professional associations, and leverage online networking platforms like LinkedIn to expand your professional network and access potential job leads. Despite the challenges you're facing, try to maintain a positive mindset and focus on the aspects of your job search that you can control. Keep practicing self-care, stay motivated, and celebrate small victories along the way to stay resilient in the face of adversity.

Always remember that setbacks and challenges are a natural part of the growth process, and it's essential to persevere and adapt your approach based on your experiences. Stay proactive, keep learning and searching better jobs, and trust that your efforts will eventually lead to success. Best of luck! Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further assistance or help.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

Sir, I am 27 year old. Single . Working in a psu as a manager. I hate my job. I am not that great at study. I really want to earn a lot of money, travel and retire at the age of 45-50. But I don’t know how ? Should I do mba ? At this age ? I am middle class ! UPSC ? Learn coding? Stop dreaming?
Ans: It's reasonable to feel dissatisfied with your current job and to aspire for more. Considering your age, career stage, and goals, here are some considerations and potential paths you could explore:

Pursuing an MBA can be a valuable option if you're seeking to advance your career, switch industries, or develop managerial and business skills. Many MBA programs welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those with experience in public sector organizations. If you're interested in a career in civil services and have a passion for public administration, policy-making, and governance, preparing for the UPSC exam could be a viable option. Keep in mind that UPSC preparation requires dedication, perseverance, and thorough understanding of current affairs and the Indian administrative system. Learning coding and acquiring technical skills can open up opportunities in the rapidly growing field of technology as well. If you have innovative ideas and a strong desire to create your own path, entrepreneurship could be worth exploring. Starting your own business or venture allows you to pursue your passions, take control of your career, and potentially achieve financial independence. However, entrepreneurship also involves risks and uncertainties, so it's crucial to conduct thorough market research, develop a solid business plan, and be prepared for challenges along the way. Regardless of your career path, prioritizing financial planning and investments can help you work towards your goal of retiring early. Consider consulting with a financial advisor to create a personalized financial plan, explore investment opportunities, and establish a savings strategy that aligns with your income, expenses, and retirement goals. Finally, focus on personal development and self-discovery to clarify your values, interests, and priorities. Reflect on what truly motivates and fulfills you, and explore ways to incorporate those elements into your career and lifestyle choices.

Ultimately, there's no one-size-fits-all answer, and the best path for you will depend on your unique circumstances, strengths, and aspirations. Take the time to explore your options, gather information, and make informed decisions that align with your goals and aspirations. Remember that it's never too late to pursue your dreams and create the life you desire. Best of Luck! Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further assistance or help.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

I have recently completed my Masters in Zoology; specialisation in Cell Biology & Cytogenetics. Also, I hold a degree of Bachelor in Science as well as Bachelor in Education. Right now, I'm in that stage of life where you see a lot of options in your career; though confused which one to pursue as in the developing scenario, I want something that gives good money as well as requires my knowledge. Need experts advice.
Ans: Given your educational background and specialization in Cell Biology & Cytogenetics, as well as your dual degree in Science and Education, you have a diverse range of career options to explore. Here are some potential career paths that align with your qualifications and interests:

You can pursue a career as a research scientist in academic institutions, government agencies, or private research organizations, work in the biotechnology industry in roles such as research associate, laboratory technician, or quality control specialist or work as a clinical laboratory scientist or medical technologist in hospitals, diagnostic laboratories, or healthcare facilities or work as genetic counselor to assess risk of inherited genetic disorders and provide information and support regarding genetic testing, diagnosis, and treatment options, or work as biology teacher, college lecturer, or educational consultant or work as a science writer or editor, writing articles, blogs, or educational materials on topics related to cell biology, genetics, and cytogenetics or work as a regulatory affairs specialist, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and guidelines for the development and approval of drugs, biologics, and medical devices.

Consider your interests, career goals, and desired work environment when exploring these options. You may also benefit from networking with professionals in your field, seeking informational interviews, or gaining hands-on experience through internships or volunteer opportunities to help you make an informed decision about your career path. Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further help or assistance.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

Hallo Sir, Myself Sanjay Agarwal. My daughter pursued her M.Sc. (physics) from Delhi University in 2010–11. But could not clear it and got back papers in two subjects. She joined the service as a teacher (TGT) in a reputed 10+2 school and, after that, got married. As she is also teaching the 11 and 12 standards (supposed to be taught by PGT) and the results of her students are extremely good, now she wants to complete her PG in Physics so that she may be allotted the class as PGT. Her school is also suggesting this to her, and they are ready to provide the necessary permissions for that. Please suggest that after 10–12 years of back papers in DU, is it possible to clear those back papers now? Or may you suggest alternatives so that she may complete her M.Sc. in Physics?
Ans: Thank you for getting in touch with me on Rediff Gurus. It's commendable that your daughter is considering furthering her education to advance her career. While clearing back papers after a significant gap may pose challenges, it's not impossible. She should reach out to the concerned department or administrative office at Delhi University to inquire about their policies and procedures for clearing back papers after a long gap. They can provide guidance on the possibility and process involved. If clearing the back papers is possible, she can start preparing for the exams by going through her study materials, seeking guidance from professors, and practicing past exam papers. She can also consider private universities and institutions as an alternative which are offering PG courses in Physics that may have more flexible admission and examination policies, if clearing back papers at Delhi University seems challenging. Kindly encourage your daughter to assess these options carefully, with determination and perseverance to achieve her educational and professional aspirations. Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further assistance or help.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership, HR Expert - Answered on Apr 13, 2024

Hii, I am BCA passout student in year 2021, and currently I am pursuing LLB degree so at that time I am still confused to choose a career, so plz tell me what are the pros and cons of both degree and which degree makes money earlier and great future provide to me
Ans: Thank you for getting in touch with me. Choosing between a Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree can be a significant decision that depends on various factors including your interests, skills, career goals, and personal preferences. Here are some pros and cons of both degrees to help you make an informed decision:

Pros of BCA: Lucrative Job Opportunities, High Demand and Competitive Salaries,
Cons of BCA: Rapid Technological Changes, Job Competition and Work-Life Balance
Pros of LLB: Prestigious Career, Diverse Practice Areas, Stable Income, Advocacy and Social Impact
Cons of LLB: Lengthy Education and Training, High Competition, Work-Life Balance

When considering which degree may provide better financial prospects and a great future, it's essential to weigh your interests, strengths, career goals, and personal preferences. Both BCA and LLB offer promising career paths with opportunities for growth, success, and fulfillment, but the right choice ultimately depends on your individual aspirations and aspirations. Additionally, exploring potential career paths, networking with professionals in each field, and mentors can help you make an informed decision that aligns with your long-term goals and aspirations. Good luck! Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further help or assistance.
Shekhar

Shekhar Kumar  |17 Answers  |Ask -

How to apply for internship in Rosell techsys pvt ltd
Ans: Happy to hear from you! To apply for an internship at Rosell Techsys, you can follow these instructions mentioned below:

First visit the official website of Rosell Techsys Pvt Ltd. You can also search for any internship openings on job portals as well such as Freshersworld, Shine, Indeed, Naukri.com or LinkedIn. Then look for internship opportunities that match your skills, interests, and career goals by paying attention to the job descriptions, requirements, and application deadlines mentioned on the website. Prepare your resume/CV highlighting your relevant skills, qualifications, academic achievements, and any previous internship or work experience and write a compelling cover letter expressing your interest in the internship position and explaining why you are a suitable candidate. You should customize your cover letter for each application to make it more personalized and impactful then submit your application through the company's official website or the job portal where the internship opening is posted. Please follow the application instructions carefully and ensure that you attach all required documents, such as your resume/CV and cover letter. After submitting your application, be patient and wait for a response from Rosell Techsys. If your application is shortlisted, you may be contacted for further rounds of interviews or assessments. Prepare for interviews by researching the company, understanding its products/services, and familiarizing yourself with the internship role and responsibilities. Be confident, articulate, and enthusiastic during the interview process. If you are selected for the internship, review the terms and conditions of the internship offer carefully, including the duration, stipend (if any), and expectations and respond to the offer promptly and confirm your acceptance of the internship position.

By following these instructions and presenting yourself as a qualified candidate, you can increase your chances of securing an internship opportunity at Rosell Techsys Pvt Ltd. Good luck! Feel free to contact me on Rediff Gurus if you need further guidance or assistance.