Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 03, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
XYZ Question by XYZ on Apr 14, 2023Translate

Hi, my CTC is 1,841,903 and I would like to know if the old or the new tax regime might be better for me. I tend to make 80C investments.

Ans: Hi

As not much details are available, would suggest that you check the best option using the tax calculator by clicking the following link

https://incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/tools/115bac-tax-calculator-finance-bill-2023.aspx

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 25, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 31, 2023Translate
Hi Expert, My CTC is 12 Lakhs. I have home loan interest of INR 1,60,000 and principle of approx INR 80,000, ELSS 36,000, Life Insurance 12,000, Tuition Fee 60,000, Medical Insurance 26,000, PPF 50,000 to1,00,000. these are my planned annual investments. I need you help to choose new tax regime or old tax regime. can you help, please.
Ans: Based on the information you have provided, you can calculate your tax liability under both the old tax regime and the new tax regime to see which one is more beneficial for you.

Under the old tax regime, you can claim deductions under Section 80C for your home loan principal repayment, ELSS, life insurance premium, tuition fees, and PPF, which amounts to a total deduction of up to INR 1.5 lakh. In addition, you can claim a deduction of up to INR 25,000 for medical insurance premium under Section 80D. Your total deductions would be INR 1.75 lakh, which reduces your taxable income to INR 10.25 lakh.

Your tax liability under the old tax regime would be as follows:

Up to INR 2.5 lakh: Nil
INR 2.5 lakh to INR 5 lakh: 5% of (taxable income - INR 2.5 lakh)
INR 5 lakh to INR 7.5 lakh: INR 12,500 + 10% of (taxable income - INR 5 lakh)
INR 7.5 lakh to INR 10 lakh: INR 37,500 + 15% of (taxable income - INR 7.5 lakh)
INR 10 lakh to INR 12.5 lakh: INR 75,000 + 20% of (taxable income - INR 10 lakh)
Above INR 12.5 lakh: INR 1,25,000 + 30% of (taxable income - INR 12.5 lakh)
Under the new tax regime, you cannot claim the deductions under Section 80C, Section 80D, and other sections. However, you can claim a standard deduction of INR 50,000. Your taxable income would be INR 11.1 lakh.

Your tax liability under the new tax regime would be as follows:

Up to INR 2.5 lakh: Nil
Based on the above calculations, it seems like the old tax regime may be more beneficial for you as your taxable income would be lower due to the deductions under Section 80C and Section 80D. However, you should consult a tax expert or a financial advisor to make an informed decision based on your individual circumstances.

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations