Workplace Expert - Answered on May 25, 2024

Krishna Kumar is the founder and CEO of GoMoTech, a company that provides strategic consulting in B2B sales, performance management and digital transformation.
Before branching out on his own, he worked with companies like Microsoft, Rediff, Flipkart and InMobi.
With over 25 years of experience under his belt, KK is a regular speaker at industry events and academic intuitions, both in India as well as abroad.
KK completed his MBA in marketing from the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning in Andhra Pradesh and his management development programme from XLRI, Jamshedpur.
Amol Question by Amol on Apr 25, 2024Hindi

Dear Sir, I am working as Branch Manager in cooperative Bank. Due to staff under me are non competent, not self started, motivated and also reluctant to do work without taking follow up I am facing many issues and as a responsible I have to work overtime. What should I do to become good leader?

Ans: Hello Sir

Leadership is about inspiring people to be their best. People don't work as per our expectations but we can inspire them to be their best.

Suggest following

1. Understand strength and weakness of each of your staff.

2. Sit one on one with them and ask them how you can help them given their strength

3. Be patient with them, change doesn't happen in one go...it's not like a on - off switch...it takes time.

4. Be sincerely and genuinely interested in the growth of your team, keep that as your focus and I am sure your team will reciprocate with positive changes.

All the best.

I saw your helpline and thought of asking for help. I m a sales guy aged 50 and recently joined a company. It is neither a MNC nor a middle sized organisation. Considering the fact that this is new organisation i need to prove my worth. There is tremendous pressure to perform. There is absolutely no support from the company people to send quotations etc which they take their sweet time and they give reasons like Covid -19 etc for the delay and they do not expect us to give reasons for failure. If u look at it from my perspective , I have joined in the month of Feb 2020 wherein March-April and may were locked down months. Just now the business has started signs to improve. Instead of supporting the team they keep on finding little faults which does not motivate but de-motivates me. A colleague before me has already been sacked after 5 months and I am not sure when my turn will come. I feel it may be next month too. I have not tried to reason out with them or they may say I am trying to give reasons for my failure. On top of that I have been reporting to 4 bosses who just write to me as per their whims and fancies. Plz let me know what best I can do to survive this time frame. I am just keeping mum bcoz there are no jobs available in the market and I am doing my best, In fact as this is an automotive industry it takes time to materialise and everywhere is there is a slowdown in business. I would not like to give reasons but still it becomes difficult to survive. Plz advice and help.
Ans: Dear SK, I can only imagine the agony that you are going through and I have been coaching many people on this since the time the lockdown began.

None of us knew what the Pandemic would mean and what it would do to our businesses or work or home. It has managed to create new situations that we have no idea of how to handle.

This has caused a lot of anxiety and strain and we have perhaps begun to imagine the worst.

But what if I tell you that the situation is changing and so will the situation at your office?

Will you be inclined to believe that?

Even the top management is behaving in a wayward manner as this is all new to them; especially working from home for many and not much facetime which I guess as a Sales guy you are used to.

Since the response from the markets are not so good, it is bound to show up as a poor performance on your record, this is a valid concern…but to go into work, everyday keeping this in mind may not be effective even with the smallest of tasks as the anxiety keeps you on the edge not doing much but worrying to save your job.

Also, what happened to your colleague may not happen to you. So why focus all your energies on something that may not happen?

Instead, simply focus on ‘realistic’ targets that are achievable at this time.

Also, since you have joined only early this year, I do feel, it is imperative for you to know really your hierarchy and reporting structure. If there are conflicts at the top and you are bearing the brunt, either you need to roll up your sleeves and ace the politics that possibly others are facing too or simply do what you can.

Step back and observe what is going on and for this, you need to be a little calm to understand the WHY of 4 bosses!

It may all but be an imagined stress and it might just need a bit of a tweak to be in a better rapport with each of them.

Sometimes, what is little, becomes big in the mind as it is cluttered with a lot of if and buts with either lack of information or simply creating stories out of apprehensions and fears.

Please take care of your health and this helps keeping the mind in a better space to deal with what is going on.

Ultimately, tell yourself: “NOTHING IS WORTH STRESSING OVER SO MUCH. Everything falls into place, once I take charge!”

Take charge and take care of your health. Best wishes.

Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |71 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Dec 12, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 17, 2023Hindi
I am not a good people manager and unable to make people work. I tend to work own way and do a lot for others. When it comes to my chance, nobody works for me and listen to me at workplace. What could be the issue?
Ans: Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for writing in.

Firstly, consider this phase as a learning phase. People skills can be developed with practice and efforts. Consider this as an opportunity and work on yourself. Few reflective questions you may ask yourself-
1- What is it making others uncomfortable about me? is it the way I talk, am I rude or am I a micromanager.
2- How can I make the environment comfortable for others so they find it easy to work with me.
3- Can I be more expressive and clear in my communication

You could also speak to your manager and take support and mentorship. Important is to find a navigation so it only helps you. Seeking help at work place is a positive sign.

Other aspects you could look at are-

Try to build relationship with your team member's, it's time to break the ice. Take some time out from your busy schedule and spend time with your team members, go for coffee, lunch, snacks etc. Start having conversations, listen to them and importantly show interest when they are talking. This will help you build rapport with the team members

Receive Feedback- while as a manager you must be giving feedback to your team members. So, now is the time to receive feedback from them about you. While you take the feedback few important aspects you should consider -
Dont' get defensive
Don't argue if they say anything negative about you
Accept and acknowledge
Ask them what you should do to make it work as a team
More importantly listen and don't hold any grudges instead act on the feedback received
Remember, when someone is giving you the feedback that means they have experienced that behavior with you.

Try with these to start with. Hope this helps. I will been keen to hear from you once you executive the tips.

All the best.
To your success. Be you. Be confident.
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of -Confidence Decoded. Is it a skill or Attitude?

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -