Shalini

Shalini Singh  |90 Answers  |Ask -

Dating Coach - Answered on Feb 24, 2023

Shalini Singh is the founder of andwemet, an online matchmaking service for urban Indians living in India and overseas. After graduating from college as a kindergarten teacher, Singh worked at various firms specialising in marketing strategy, digital marketing and public relations before finding her niche as an entrepreneur. In 2008, she founded Galvanise PR, an independent communications and public relations. In 2019, she launched andwemet.
P.N. Question by P.N. on Feb 23, 2023Hindi

We had an arranged marriage through matrimonial site. He lied to me about his drinking habits and financial status, etc. But after marriage i let it go that these things can be changed. His mother from the very first day was taunting and harrassing me for my skin colour, clothes, things given by my parents, etc. I never answered back to her. He also didn't said a single word to stop her. His sisters also used to taunt me and there were lots of interference. I never told anything to my parents. One day his mother was harrassing me over phone. I didn't said anything to her but called my husband and told him everything in very angered tone. He recorded everything and sent it to my parents, his parents, etc. When i tried to confront him, he blocked me. We couldn't talk for a long period. Now, he doesn't want to continue this relationship and said he wants divorce without giving any explanation. I am also very hurt. But also very confused about my future with him that how will i live with such a spineless man? My parents are not listening me that i also don't want to continue this toxic relationship. What should I do?

Ans: Its unfortunate that you had to experience what you had to...

1. Hope you are financially independent, if not please skill yourself and become so

2. Arranged marriage via family/ via an online site does not guarantee personality of a person's personality - hope you understand so.

3. Its unfortunate that your ma-in-law is an insecure and a negative individual because happy and secure folks do not behave the way she behaves with you.

4. It seems your husband also lives on some ego horse and recorded the conversation and shared it with the family.

Now I am more confused than you are - you have shared you are
a) unhappy
b) in an abusive relationship

my confusion is the following
a) why did you not break away and take this poor behaviour, where is your self worth
b) why do you want to go back into the black hole

As shared above - please work on yourself, your self worth, your confidence and work on skilling yourself to be financially independent....

Having said this you and only can decide on your life's future.

Hi Anu, I would like to be anonymous.I got cheated by my boyfriend in my 20s and was in depression. My parents thought that it would be nice if I get married to someone who is elder to me and we'll settled.They got me a match who is 13 years elder than me. Joint family, one sister separated with her kid in the same house, one unmarried.I said yes but had the intuition that something is wrong. No one trusted me and I got married to the man. From Day 1, we were fighting. I tried to take help from my parents to get separated after a year but they didn't help me due to societal pressure. After my son born, he paid no attention towards my son and me for 7 months. But this time he told that he was busy at work. I returned to my in-laws.He tried to control everything –my friends, he restricted my social media accounts and also kept a screenshot of my conversation with my ex-boyfriend, threatening me to reveal it to my mom and dad. He also had the habit of not talking for 2-3 months in the same house. He did it for almost 10 years and pressurised me to have a second child. During my pregnancy, he yelled at me calling me mad and fought with me. He called my father and told him I am mad and sent me to my mom and dad again for delivery.Keeping my elder son for reference he tells to come back again. He doesn't provide any financial support and is threatening again with screenshots.He often checks my mobile without my permission affecting my BP. I don't know why? I lost my sleep at night for several months by now. I am not able to concentrate on anything. Negative thoughts occupy my mind. I have a kid of 1.5 years with me.Please help. I am mentally devastated. Thank you.

Dear K,

What advice will you give a close friend if she came to you with the same problem that you have stated? Will you ask her to reconcile or keep her sanity intact?

Controlling the spouse is a classic way of coping for insecurity related issues within a relationship.

Being years older to you and having a young wife possibly might have given him goosebumps of you being attractive to people your age.

Whatever the reason, being passive aggressive and registering his insecurity through not talking for months, stalking you, monitoring your social media accounts, threatening to blackmail you with screenshots from your previous affairs; does it all sound like he is a person who you want to spend your life with?

If you still feel there is small chance and you want to, seek the help of a professional who can work with him and then the two of you to create an element of trust that is absolutely missing.

Any relationship that lacks trust, just crumbles as the foundation is weak and every little act that questions the other person’s integrity drives a further wedge.

You have a child that is dependent on you; be strong and whichever way that you choose, drive it…Inaction is what is causing you health issues, so do something NOW.

All the best and Be Strong.

Hi Anu, 10+yrs of marriage with 9yr child. I am working and all financial burden is on me. I shifted separately from in-laws' house due to financial constraints and expectations. Though elder-in-law, my in-laws didn't try to stop our decision to move separately despite knowing that my hubby doesn't earn a single penny. They expected and I had to share financial expenses with my marginal income 10 years ago. After 5 years, we moved nearby and purchased our own house very little help from in-laws. I took loan and managed the rest with help from my family and friends. In between a lot happened. My father-in-law expired and my mother-in-law is a cancer patient. My mother-in-law started expecting from my hubby and me, probably because her younger son shifted with her family. She didn't want to live with them due to differences with her wife. She complained to my husband that we are not good enough to take care of her. I already had a lot of burden from office so I told my husband to take care of our child as well for sometime. He was quite depressed and frustrated with his inability to earn. Already lot of my hard-earned money has been put in his work n wasted.Now, the real problem during these difficult times began when we started fighting. I had lot of office stress and after mother in law complained, she shifted with her other son. At times, I got frustrated with my child also due to the whole mess, financial burden. I felt like all my hard earned money was wasted due to office stress and my hubby's irresponsible behaviour. He did not even take care of my child’s studies. He started watching porn... I saw him twice and even warned him. My husband started cheating on me with our maid. He did it when he was stressed because I was not able to give him time. I confronted him and since then it has been an emotional trauma. I am yet to accept it. 9 months have been passed. We decided on certain things but I couldn’t accept it.. Due to our emotional bond, I gave him another chance... During that time he accepted and was ready to leave everything and wanted me to be happy. He said he committed a big mistake but recently I found he called that b**ch later. When I confronted him he said he’d advised not to come home in front of his family members. I decided it would be best for him to move out and work from another place. My MIL was living with me but then I felt it too much at times.. now somewhat even my child has emotionally detached from him. It’s the same with him as we've been staying separately from 7 months. He visited 3 times during puja and other needs. I feel emotionally detached and I can’t digest the family situation.Sometimes I feel it's difficult to find the courage to avoid all and live alone. What's the point in living in a marriage for sake of it without having any emotional, physical, financial dependency or security?I am 39 and earn a decent salary at this moment. But I am not sure of my future as I work in a private firm. I am worried about my child’s education, old age, financial insecurity and burden. I haven’t been able to save much because of our financial liabilities and husband’s investments in businesses that never materialised.Before this incident, my husband supported me in my career and also to bring up our child. But what happened is too much and unexpected. Any suggestions?

Hi Anu, I got married in Jan 2019 and it was an arranged marriage. Before marriage my husband loved me and we used to meet often and go out. But after marriage i got to know that his parents are extremely controlling and strict, they brainwashed him. A week into marriage we started fighting, and since then it's been a see-saw of love and hate. Soon we found out that he is impotent, but I helped him get over it, be it doctor's appointments or medicine, I took care of everything, it took us a year but we finally consummated our marriage. Then due to covid we moved to my in-laws’ house at his request. And then this marriage became hell to me, my in-laws started verbally abusing me every day though my husband tried to protect me but failed. I thought after the baby they would stop but it got worse so I took my 1-month-old baby and moved into my parents’ house. My husband came and begged me to not leave him, he said we'll move out to our own place. I agreed but then he called and told me that we'll go to another city after a year and I should stay with my mother till that time. BTW I am taking care of the baby all on my own financially, he won't do it unless I start living with him. I am financially independent. I don't know whether I should leave him or not, help?

Dear S,

Time this one out! Which means, drop a deadline by having a conversation with your husband as to when your family will finally have a chance to function independently from in-laws or any other external circumstances.

Dropping deadlines means, both of you will be under the pump to put down a plan as to what needs to be done to clear out the existing muck and how beautifully you will create a loving environment for your baby to grow.

Not taking care of the baby or you, is not an option for him; but I guess it has become a convenient arrangement for him as you live with your parents and he does not need to take care of the fights and expenses as well.

This could only mean he is escaping reality and finding peace in avoiding it. Put him in the face of reality and that goes for you as well.

Being too accommodative can also become a habit where you rely on the comfort of what it brings to you; in this case the comfort at your parents' home.

For the sake of the baby, work together as a team and create a beautiful relationship; which will help the baby grow healthy, physically and emotionally.

Hello sir/Madam I'm going through a rough time of my life and want some help from you I am a professional and 48 years old and I have 2 grown up children My problem is that I had a love marriage with my husband22 years back and his family didn't accept me whole heartidly since we belong to different castes and culture .they wanted to take advantage of me financially My husband has strained his relationship with my mom n only sister after my father's death in 2008 over money matters Me, my husband and children live in a house provided by my parents in a different city from my inlaws They always create differences between us still Now another problem has cropped up in our relationship I spied on my my husband's mobile n discovered tha that he has sex chats with other women and is involved in mastrubating sessions with them over phone I am completely broken from inside n not able to decide what to do coz when i confronted him , he flatly refused n fought with me and started putting false allegations on me .I am quite disturbed as i dont want to end my marriage eventhough he behaves very bad with me at times Kindly advice me
Since you know that you want this marriage still, then the best way to not be hurt and strained around him, is to:
Either:
- Ignore what's happening and what he's doing and he leads his life and you lead yours (This is not easy, let me warn you!)
OR
- Live separately; you are financially independent and have your home to live in; he can go live with his parents and see if this works

Sadly, you married someone who has not learned to appreciate his partner and is perhaps playing to his own insecurities. It's totally on him and why I say that you are not to blame is: the fact that you still want to continue in this marriage, you may have to face more of this humiliation and hurt. If this is your decision, you really need a very steely interior and a facade that can face it all.
Yes, counseling is an option for him and the two of you as couple, BUT I don't see that in him as yet...Instead of addressing his wife's hurt and pain, he has refused to acknowledge what he's been up to. It doesn't say a lot about him to me.
So, strengthen yourself into your decision and check the two choices above and see what works best for you...

Hello, i am 26 years old i earn 25k per month and i want investment guidance. I feel like stock market is not my thing because i am digital artist and i can't give time so i am planning to start my first mutual fund and my plan is long term investment minimum 10 years. Also what do you suggest me regarding stock market investment. Thank you
Ans: It's great to see you taking charge of your financial future at such a young age. Your decision to start investing for the long term is commendable. Let's dive into how you can effectively begin your investment journey with mutual funds and other options while considering your time constraints as a digital artist.

Understanding Your Financial Goals and Situation
Firstly, let's look at your current situation:

Age: 26 years old
Monthly Income: Rs 25,000
Investment Horizon: Minimum 10 years
Risk Appetite: Likely moderate, given your hesitation towards direct stock market investments due to time constraints.
Advantages of Mutual Funds for Long-Term Investment
Mutual funds are an excellent choice for those who cannot dedicate time to manage their investments actively. Here are some reasons why:

Professional Management: Mutual funds are managed by professional fund managers who make informed decisions on behalf of investors.
Diversification: Investing in mutual funds allows you to diversify your portfolio across different assets, reducing risk.
Liquidity: You can easily redeem your investments in mutual funds when needed.
Convenience: Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly, making it easier to budget.
Choosing the Right Mutual Funds
Since you are looking for long-term investments, you should focus on equity mutual funds, which generally offer higher returns over a long period. Here’s how you can approach it:

Equity mutual funds invest primarily in stocks and have the potential to provide significant returns over the long term. Here’s why they are suitable for you:

Growth Potential: Equities tend to outperform other asset classes over the long term.
Compounding Benefits: Long-term investments in equity funds benefit from the power of compounding.
Actively Managed Funds vs Direct Funds
While index funds and ETFs are often suggested, actively managed funds might be better for you. Here’s why:

Active Management: Professional fund managers actively pick stocks to beat the market, aiming for higher returns.
Better Risk Management: Active funds can adjust their portfolios based on market conditions to mitigate risks.
Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)
Starting an SIP is a smart way to invest regularly. Here’s why:

Rupee Cost Averaging: Investing a fixed amount regularly helps average out the purchase cost, reducing the impact of market volatility.
Disciplined Investment: SIPs ensure you invest regularly without worrying about market timing.
Affordability: You can start SIPs with small amounts, making it accessible.
Steps to Start Your Investment Journey
Assess Your Monthly Budget
Understand your monthly expenses and savings. Allocate a portion of your income for investments. Given your monthly income of Rs 25,000, start with what you are comfortable investing.

Set Up an Emergency Fund
Before investing, ensure you have an emergency fund. This should cover 6-12 months of your expenses, kept in a savings account or liquid fund for easy access.

Choose the Right Mutual Funds
Based on your long-term goals, select a mix of equity mutual funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) for personalized advice. Here are some fund types to consider:

Large-Cap Funds: Invest in large, stable companies. Suitable for moderate risk tolerance.
Mid-Cap Funds: Invest in mid-sized companies with higher growth potential but also higher risk.
Balanced Funds: A mix of equity and debt for a balanced risk-reward profile.
Stock Market Investments: An Overview
Although you mentioned that stock market investing might not be your thing, it's worth understanding the basics.

Direct Stock Investments
Investing directly in stocks requires time and effort to research and monitor your investments. It’s not advisable if you cannot dedicate the necessary time.

Why Mutual Funds Over Direct Stocks?
Professional Management: Fund managers make informed decisions, reducing the burden on you.
Diversification: Mutual funds spread risk across various assets.
Convenience: You do not need to track individual stocks actively.
Investing always involves risk, but you can manage it by:

Diversifying Investments: Spread your investments across different asset classes and sectors.
Regular Monitoring: Periodically review your portfolio and make adjustments as needed.
Staying Informed: Keep up with market trends and financial news to make informed decisions.
Tax Benefits
Investing in certain mutual funds can also offer tax benefits. For example:

Equity-Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS): These funds provide tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act.
Your financial goals and risk tolerance might change over time. Regularly review your portfolio and rebalance it to ensure it aligns with your goals.

How to Review Your Portfolio
Performance Analysis: Compare the performance of your investments against benchmarks.
Goal Alignment: Ensure your investments are on track to meet your financial goals.
Rebalancing: Adjust your portfolio to maintain the desired asset allocation.
The Role of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
A CFP can provide personalized guidance based on your financial situation and goals. Here’s how a CFP can help:

Comprehensive Financial Planning: Create a holistic financial plan considering all aspects of your finances.
Investment Strategy: Develop an investment strategy aligned with your risk tolerance and goals.
Ongoing Support: Provide ongoing support and advice to keep you on track.
Your proactive approach to investing at a young age is commendable. Here’s a summary of steps to set you on the right path:

Understand Your Budget: Know your monthly expenses and savings.
Set Up an Emergency Fund: Ensure you have 6-12 months of expenses saved.
Start SIPs: Begin with an affordable amount in equity mutual funds.
Diversify Investments: Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and balanced funds.
Consult a CFP: Get personalized advice and regular reviews.
By following these steps, you can build a strong financial foundation and achieve your long-term goals with confidence.

I’m 36year old working female. I’m living a comfortable life and ensure one international vacation annually. I plan to retire by 45 years of age and continue with similar lifestyle. I have following savings, please suggest what adjustments should I make and whether my savings are reasonable for my age. I have no kids, no loans and no property in my name. I live in my family home. Equity- 88lac Savings account- 48lac PF+EPF- 35 lac Gold 9 lac Insurance policy - 2.5 lac Crypto 1.5 lac
Ans: Firstly, it’s fantastic to see you so proactive about your financial future. Your current financial position and the clarity about your retirement goals are commendable. Living a comfortable life, enjoying annual international vacations, and planning for early retirement at 45 is ambitious but achievable with the right strategy. Let’s assess your current savings and suggest adjustments to help you meet your goals.

Current Financial Snapshot
Let’s summarize your current financial position:

Equity Investments: Rs 88 lakhs
Savings Account: Rs 48 lakhs
Provident Fund (PF) + Employee Provident Fund (EPF): Rs 35 lakhs
Gold: Rs 9 lakhs
Insurance Policy: Rs 2.5 lakhs
Cryptocurrency: Rs 1.5 lakhs
Analysis of Current Savings
You have Rs 88 lakhs in equity investments. This is a strong component of your portfolio, given its potential for high returns over the long term.

Savings Account
Having Rs 48 lakhs in a savings account is a significant amount. While it's good to have liquidity, savings accounts offer low returns, which may not keep up with inflation.

Provident Fund and EPF
Your PF and EPF holdings amount to Rs 35 lakhs. These are crucial for your retirement as they provide stability and guaranteed returns.

Gold
Gold worth Rs 9 lakhs is a good hedge against inflation and adds diversity to your portfolio. However, its returns are generally lower compared to equities.

Insurance Policy
You have an insurance policy worth Rs 2.5 lakhs. Ensure this is purely a term insurance policy for adequate risk cover.

Cryptocurrency
Your cryptocurrency investment is Rs 1.5 lakhs. This is a highly volatile and unregulated market. It’s essential to be cautious with this part of your portfolio.

Steps to Achieve Your Retirement Goal by 45
Increase Equity Investments
Given your age and the time horizon until retirement, continuing with a strong equity exposure is advisable. Equities generally provide higher returns over the long term.

Diversify Across Sectors: Ensure your equity portfolio is diversified across various sectors and industries to reduce risk.

Regular Monitoring: Keep an eye on the performance of your stocks and make adjustments as needed.

Rebalance Savings Account
Having Rs 48 lakhs in a savings account is quite high. Consider reallocating a portion of these funds to higher-return investments.

Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund of 6-12 months of your expenses in a savings account or liquid funds.

Invest the Rest: Reallocate excess funds into mutual funds or other diversified investment options for better returns.

Maximize Provident Fund and EPF
Your PF and EPF are safe, low-risk investments. Continue maximizing your contributions to these funds.

EPF Voluntary Contributions: If possible, consider voluntary contributions to EPF for additional tax benefits and secure returns.
Evaluate Gold Holdings
Gold is a good investment for diversification but doesn’t generate income. Consider the following:

Hold or Reallocate: Evaluate if you need to hold the entire amount in gold or reallocate a portion to higher-growth investments.
Review Insurance Policy
Ensure your insurance policy is a term policy providing adequate coverage.

Term Insurance: If it’s not a term insurance policy, consider switching to a term policy with adequate coverage for your needs.
Assess Cryptocurrency Investment
Cryptocurrency is highly volatile and unregulated. While it can offer high returns, it comes with significant risk.

Limit Exposure: Keep your exposure to cryptocurrency minimal to safeguard against potential losses.
Adjustments for Better Financial Health
Consolidate and Reinvest Direct Stocks
Direct stocks can be high-risk if not managed properly. Consider consolidating and reinvesting in mutual funds.

Actively Managed Funds: Invest through mutual funds managed by professional fund managers. This provides better risk management and diversification.

Regular Monitoring: Regularly review and rebalance your mutual fund portfolio to align with your financial goals.

Increase Monthly Investments
If you have surplus income, consider increasing your monthly investments.

SIP in Mutual Funds: Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) in mutual funds are an excellent way to invest regularly and benefit from rupee cost averaging.

Diversified Portfolio: Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds for a balanced portfolio.

Planning for Early Retirement
Estimate Retirement Corpus
To maintain your current lifestyle, estimate the corpus required. Consider factors like inflation, healthcare costs, and lifestyle expenses.

Retirement Corpus: Aim for a retirement corpus that generates enough returns to sustain your lifestyle without depleting the principal amount.
Retirement Investment Strategy
Once you retire, your investment strategy should shift towards preserving capital while generating income.

Balanced Funds: Consider balanced or hybrid funds that offer a mix of equity and debt for stability and growth.

SWP (Systematic Withdrawal Plan): Use SWPs from mutual funds to generate a regular income post-retirement.

A Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can provide tailored advice and help you navigate complex financial decisions.

Customized Plan: A CFP can create a customized retirement plan based on your unique goals and risk tolerance.

Regular Reviews: They can also help in regular monitoring and rebalancing of your portfolio to ensure it stays on track.

Importance of Diversification
Diversifying your investments across different asset classes can reduce risk and improve returns.

Asset Allocation: Maintain a balanced asset allocation between equity, debt, and gold based on your risk profile and time horizon.

Regular Rebalancing: Periodically rebalance your portfolio to maintain the desired asset allocation.

Your proactive approach to financial planning is impressive. To ensure you meet your goal of retiring by 45 with a comfortable lifestyle, consider the following steps:

Increase Equity Investments: Continue focusing on equities for higher long-term returns.
Rebalance Savings: Reallocate excess funds from your savings account to higher-return investments.
Maximize PF and EPF: Continue maximizing your contributions to these secure, low-risk funds.
Evaluate Gold Holdings: Consider if reallocating a portion of your gold investments is necessary.
Review Insurance Policy: Ensure your insurance provides adequate coverage.
Limit Cryptocurrency Exposure: Keep your exposure minimal due to high volatility and risk.
Consolidate Direct Stocks: Reinvest in mutual funds for better risk management and diversification.
Increase Monthly Investments: Consider increasing your SIPs for better long-term growth.
Seek Professional Guidance: A CFP can provide valuable insights and tailored advice.
By following these steps and maintaining your disciplined approach, you can achieve your goal of retiring by 45 and enjoying a comfortable lifestyle.

Hi, I am 41 years old with 1.5lakhs pm salary. Cleared home loan using PF amount, so own a flat in Bangalore. Daughter is 8 years old. Have term (1.5cr) and health insurance (7L), parents covered under corporate insurance. Coming to investments, have 7.5L in mutual funds, 4.5L in stocks, 3L in PF and 3L in NPS. 30k goes for investment, 40k for car emi on 3 year corporate lease, 65k for expences including parents (dependents) staying in another town. I want fo retire at 50 with a retirement corpus of 5 cr. Am i on right track? Please suggest if i have to make any changes to my existing routine.
Ans: First off, congratulations on your disciplined approach to financial planning. Owning a flat in Bangalore, having term and health insurance, and a clear home loan are significant achievements. Let’s evaluate your current financial status and align it with your goal of retiring at 50 with a retirement corpus of Rs 5 crore.

Current Financial Snapshot
Let’s summarize your current financial situation:

Salary: Rs 1.5 lakhs per month
Term Insurance: Rs 1.5 crore
Health Insurance: Rs 7 lakhs (parents covered under corporate insurance)
Investments:
Mutual Funds: Rs 7.5 lakhs
Stocks: Rs 4.5 lakhs
Provident Fund (PF): Rs 3 lakhs
National Pension System (NPS): Rs 3 lakhs
Monthly Investments: Rs 30,000
Monthly Car EMI: Rs 40,000
Monthly Expenses: Rs 65,000 (including support for parents)
Retirement Goal Analysis
Goal: Rs 5 Crore Retirement Corpus by Age 50
You have nine years to achieve your retirement goal of Rs 5 crore. Let’s break down the steps needed to reach this target.

Evaluate Current Savings and Investments
1. Mutual Funds: Rs 7.5 lakhs

2. Stocks: Rs 4.5 lakhs

3. Provident Fund (PF): Rs 3 lakhs

4. National Pension System (NPS): Rs 3 lakhs

Total Current Investments: Rs 18 lakhs

Monthly Investment Plan
Increasing Your SIP Contributions
Your current SIP contribution is Rs 30,000 per month. Considering your goal, it’s essential to evaluate whether this amount is sufficient.

Growth Rate: Assume an annual growth rate of 12% for your mutual funds and stocks.

Future Value: Calculate the future value of your current investments and SIP contributions over the next nine years.

Additional Investments
You might need to increase your monthly SIP contributions to bridge any shortfall. Let’s evaluate potential strategies.

Assessing and Adjusting Your Portfolio
Diversifying your investments can help in achieving better returns and reducing risks.

Mutual Funds: Continue investing in diversified equity mutual funds. Consider adding some large-cap and mid-cap funds for a balanced portfolio.

Stocks: Regularly review and rebalance your stock portfolio. Focus on fundamentally strong companies with growth potential.

NPS is a good option for long-term retirement planning due to its tax benefits and potential for high returns.

Equity Allocation: Consider increasing the equity allocation in your NPS to maximize growth.
Provident Fund (PF)
Continue contributing to your PF. It’s a safe and tax-efficient investment.

Managing Expenses and EMI
Your monthly car EMI is Rs 40,000. Once the EMI is over, reallocate this amount towards your retirement corpus.

Expense Management
Current Expenses: Rs 65,000 per month
Investment Opportunities: Post EMI period, use the freed-up funds for additional investments.
Insurance and Contingency Planning
Term Insurance
Your term insurance cover of Rs 1.5 crore is adequate. It provides financial security to your family.

Health insurance of Rs 7 lakhs is good. Ensure it’s sufficient to cover medical emergencies. Review the policy annually.

Additional Steps for Financial Security
Ensure you maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of your monthly expenses. This provides a cushion during unexpected situations.

Regular Reviews
Regularly review your financial plan with your Certified Financial Planner. Adjust your investments based on market conditions and life changes.

The Importance of Professional Guidance
A Certified Financial Planner can provide the expertise needed to navigate complex financial decisions.

Customised Strategies: Tailored investment strategies to suit your specific goals and risk tolerance.

Regular Monitoring: Continuous monitoring and rebalancing of your portfolio to ensure alignment with your goals.

1. Lack of Professional Guidance: Managing direct funds requires significant time and expertise.

2. Higher Risks: Without professional advice, the risk of making suboptimal investment choices increases.

3. Market Volatility: Direct funds are susceptible to market volatility, which requires constant monitoring and adjustments.

1. Professional Management: Fund managers actively manage the investments to maximize returns and minimize risks.

2. Flexibility: They can adapt to market changes, unlike index funds which passively track market indices.

Future Planning for Your Daughter’s Education
Education Costs
Plan for your daughter’s higher education expenses. Start a dedicated SIP for this goal.

Estimate Costs: Factor in inflation and rising education costs.

Investment Strategy: Choose equity mutual funds for long-term growth.

Your disciplined approach to financial planning is commendable. You have a solid foundation with your current investments and insurance coverage. To achieve your retirement goal of Rs 5 crore by age 50, consider the following steps:

Increase SIP Contributions: Evaluate and possibly increase your monthly SIP contributions.
Diversify Investments: Ensure your portfolio is well-diversified across different asset classes.
Reallocate Post-EMI Funds: Once your car EMI is completed, redirect this amount towards your retirement corpus.
Regular Reviews: Regularly review and adjust your financial plan with your Certified Financial Planner.
Focus on Long-Term Goals: Stay focused on your long-term goals and make informed investment decisions.
By following these steps and maintaining your disciplined approach, you are well on your way to achieving your retirement goal.

Sir, I have started two new SIPs ( @4K each) through MF just in last month, namely Quant Mid cap and Quant Large & Mid cap. Including these two presently I am continuing 60K of SIPs in different MFs for last 1 yr. Also had a plan to start a new SIP of 6K through Quant ELSS fund. But, after todays news of SEBI on Quant MF, I am confused. Should I stop the said one month old two funds and not to start ELSS or what? I have partially decided to continue with existing two funds and carefully watch on the situation for one/two year and not to start new MF with Quant. What should I do? Pls suggest.
Ans: First of all, commendations on your dedication to investing and planning for your financial future. Your efforts in consistently investing through SIPs are commendable. I understand your concern regarding the recent SEBI news about Quant Mutual Funds. Let’s address your queries and develop a comprehensive approach to your investment strategy.

Current SIP Investments
Your commitment to Rs 60,000 in SIPs over the last year is a strong start. SIPs offer the advantage of rupee cost averaging and can help in building a substantial corpus over time.

Evaluating Recent Investments
Given your recent start with Quant Mid Cap and Quant Large & Mid Cap funds, and the news about SEBI’s stance on Quant MF, your concerns are valid. Here’s a detailed analysis:

Market and Regulatory Sentiments: Regulatory actions can sometimes create uncertainty. However, it’s important to understand the specifics of SEBI's concerns and how they might impact the fund's performance and management.

Fund Performance: Before making any decisions, evaluate the historical performance of these funds. Look at their consistency, returns, and how they have managed risks.

Fund Management: Assess the expertise and track record of the fund managers. Effective management can often navigate through regulatory and market challenges.

Deciding on Continuation or Stopping SIPs
Continue Monitoring
Your decision to continue with the two existing funds while monitoring the situation is prudent. Here’s why:

Long-Term Perspective: Equity investments, especially in mutual funds, are meant for the long term. Short-term fluctuations or news should not drastically impact long-term strategies.

Performance Review: Regularly review the performance of these funds over the next 6-12 months. Evaluate them against their benchmarks and peer funds.

Adjust if Needed: If you notice consistent underperformance or if regulatory issues significantly impact the fund, consider reallocating to more stable funds.

New SIP in Quant ELSS
Considering the SEBI news, it’s understandable to be cautious about starting a new SIP in Quant ELSS. Here’s an alternative approach:

Diversification: Instead of putting all your SIPs in Quant funds, consider diversifying across different fund houses. This spreads your risk and can provide stability.

Evaluate Other ELSS Funds: Look for other ELSS funds with strong track records, good management, and consistent performance. ELSS not only offers tax benefits but also has the potential for good long-term returns.

Actively managed funds are beneficial for several reasons:

Expertise: Fund managers actively make decisions to maximize returns and minimize risks.

Flexibility: These funds can adapt to changing market conditions, unlike index funds which replicate market performance.

While direct funds have lower expense ratios, there are notable disadvantages:

Lack of Professional Guidance: Without a Certified Financial Planner, managing direct funds can be challenging.

Time-Consuming: Monitoring and adjusting investments require significant time and expertise.

Recommended Strategy for Your SIPs
Diversified Portfolio
A well-diversified portfolio across different fund categories can enhance returns and reduce risks. Consider these steps:

Large Cap Funds: These funds invest in well-established companies with a stable growth trajectory.

Mid Cap Funds: They invest in medium-sized companies with potential for high growth.

Small Cap Funds: Suitable for aggressive investors, these funds can offer high returns but come with higher risks.

Balanced or Hybrid Funds: These funds offer a mix of equity and debt, providing stability and growth.

Regular Reviews
Schedule regular reviews with your Certified Financial Planner to ensure your portfolio remains aligned with your financial goals and market conditions. Adjustments may be necessary based on performance and market changes.

Building a Robust Investment Plan
Your goal should be to build a robust investment plan that can withstand market fluctuations and regulatory changes. Here’s how:

Maintain your emergency fund of Rs 15 lakhs. This provides a safety net for unexpected expenses and ensures you don’t have to dip into your investments prematurely.

Goal-Based Investments
Children’s Education: Continue investing through SIPs in diversified equity funds for long-term growth. This will help accumulate the required corpus for their education.

Retirement Planning: Invest in aggressive growth funds for your retirement goal. Starting early and maintaining consistency will leverage the power of compounding.

Importance of Staying Informed
Stay informed about market trends and regulatory changes. Knowledge empowers you to make informed decisions and adapt to changes effectively.

Role of a Certified Financial Planner
A Certified Financial Planner can provide invaluable guidance. They can:

Customise Portfolio: Tailor your investments based on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and market conditions.

Regular Monitoring: Continuously monitor your portfolio and make necessary adjustments.

Risk Management: Help you navigate market and regulatory risks effectively.

Your proactive approach to investing is commendable. Continuously monitoring and reviewing your investments is crucial. While the SEBI news about Quant MF is concerning, maintaining a long-term perspective is important. Diversify your portfolio to mitigate risks and ensure you are investing in well-managed funds.

Stay informed, regularly review your portfolio, and seek guidance from a Certified Financial Planner. This comprehensive approach will help you achieve your financial goals and secure your future.

Hi..I'm 37Y old with monthly salary of 1.5lkhs after tax. I have 3 kids and the eldest is in LKG/PP1. My monthly expenses are around 30000 without any EMIs. My investments/savings include: Real Estate : 50lakhs Gold: 500 grms Equity/Stocks: 4 Lakhs Mutual funds: 1 lkhs Savings/emergency fund: 15 lkhs PF: 9 lkhs SIP: none As you may notice, I think I'm already very late to the stock market or mutual funds. I would like to start SIPs for the education of my kids and my retirement by 50 years with monthly income of 1.5 lakhs. I'm able to save/invest 1 lkh every month. Would you please suggest a plan following which can fulfill the aboveentioned ask?
Ans: First, it’s great to see your proactive approach towards securing your kids' education and your retirement. Your financial discipline is admirable. Let's dive into an in-depth plan tailored for your goals.

Current Financial Overview
Your current assets and savings are impressive. Here’s a snapshot:

Real Estate: Rs 50 lakhs
Gold: 500 grams
Equity/Stocks: Rs 4 lakhs
Mutual Funds: Rs 1 lakh
Savings/Emergency Fund: Rs 15 lakhs
Provident Fund (PF): Rs 9 lakhs
Monthly Savings Potential: Rs 1 lakh
Your monthly expenses are well-managed at Rs 30,000, leaving substantial room for investments. Now, let's focus on structuring your investments to meet your goals.

Education Planning for Your Kids
Education costs are rising rapidly. Starting early with a systematic investment plan (SIP) will help in accumulating the required corpus.

Assess Future Education Costs: Estimate the future costs of education for your three kids. Factor in inflation, which averages around 6-7% per year.

Divide Investments for Each Child: Allocate investments based on the timelines for each child's education. For example, higher education might be needed in 15 years for your eldest child and later for the younger ones.

Choose SIPs Wisely: Consider diversified equity mutual funds. They have the potential to offer higher returns over the long term. Since you are starting now, the power of compounding will work in your favor.

Retirement Planning by Age 50
Retiring by 50 with a monthly income of Rs 1.5 lakhs requires careful planning and disciplined investing. Here’s how you can approach it:

Calculate Retirement Corpus: Estimate the amount needed to generate a monthly income of Rs 1.5 lakhs. Factor in inflation and life expectancy. Typically, this could be around Rs 4-5 crores.

Maximize EPF Contributions: Your PF balance is Rs 9 lakhs. Continue maximizing your contributions. It’s a secure and tax-efficient way to grow your retirement savings.

Increase SIP Investments: Start SIPs in aggressive growth mutual funds. These funds have the potential to offer substantial returns over the next 13 years. Given your high savings rate, this strategy can significantly boost your retirement corpus.

Investment Strategy and Asset Allocation
Now, let’s discuss how to allocate your monthly savings of Rs 1 lakh:

Benefits of Regular Funds:

Professional Management: Fund managers with expertise can navigate market volatility.

Consistent Monitoring: Regular reviews and rebalancing ensure alignment with your goals.

Support: A Certified Financial Planner can provide guidance and adjust strategies as needed.

SIPs for Long-term Goals
Educational Goals: Invest Rs 40,000 monthly in diversified equity mutual funds.

Retirement Goals: Invest Rs 60,000 monthly in aggressive growth mutual funds.

Maintaining an emergency fund is crucial for financial security. You already have Rs 15 lakhs, which is excellent. Ensure it’s easily accessible and parked in liquid or ultra-short-term debt funds for better returns than a savings account.

Reassessing Existing Investments
Equity and Stocks
Your Rs 4 lakhs in stocks should be reviewed. Ensure they are diversified and align with your risk tolerance and financial goals. If needed, shift underperforming stocks to more promising mutual funds.

Gold
500 grams of gold is a solid asset. However, gold doesn’t generate regular income. Consider maintaining it as a hedge against inflation but avoid additional investments in gold for now.

Avoiding Direct Funds and Index Funds
Lack of Guidance: Without professional advice, managing direct funds can be challenging.

Time-Consuming: Monitoring and rebalancing your portfolio regularly requires significant time and effort.

Market Mimicking: Index funds aim to replicate market indices, which may lead to average returns.

No Flexibility: They lack the flexibility to adapt to market changes or capitalize on specific opportunities.

Importance of Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds, guided by professional managers, can outperform the market through strategic investments and timely decisions. They provide the potential for higher returns, especially crucial for your aggressive retirement goals.

Regular Reviews and Adjustments
Financial planning is not a one-time activity. Regularly review your portfolio with your Certified Financial Planner. Adjust your investments based on life changes, market conditions, and evolving financial goals.

Your proactive approach and high savings rate set a strong foundation for achieving your financial goals. By strategically investing in SIPs for your kids' education and your retirement, you can build a substantial corpus.

Seek the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner to navigate the complexities of investment management. Their guidance will ensure your investments align with your goals and risk tolerance. Regular reviews and adjustments will keep your financial plan on track.