Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 23, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Santhosh Question by Santhosh on Nov 22, 2023Translate

Sir, I sold my flat @ 90 lakhs which was purchased in 2010 for 28 lakhs. Whether I can add stamp duty and registration fee paid in 2010 to the cost of flat for calculating capital gain? Also I have carried out home improvement works including painting and these are eligible for tax calculation? Please advise

Ans: Yes, Stamp duty and registration fee will form part of cost of acquition. However it is not advisable to consider it as cost, if deduction u/s 80C is taken in the year of purchase.

Further, cost of improvement will allowed for deduction separately while calculating capital gain.

Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 03, 2023

Mahesh

Tax Expert - Answered on May 05, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - May 05, 2023Translate
I have booked a under construction flat in May 2022 for 2.80 crs inclusive of GST and stamp duty likely possession in December 2023, Flat is in joint name with my wife on 50:50 basis. I have availed joint Bank loan of 2.10 crores which is partially disbursed approx 1.76 crores up to now. balance will be disbursed before possession. I will be selling by old flat in January 2024 which is in my individual name, which I purchased in July 2017 for 92.50 lacs inclusive of stamp duty, approx selling price will be 1.25 crores. This flat is also on loan of 54 lakhs outstanding .What will be the capital gain against this and can this be setoff against the new flat? Difference amount 1.25 crores(sale price) less 54 lakhs (Bank Loan) balance amount of 71 lakhs I might pay against the new bank loan of 2.10 crores which will reduce the loan to 1.39 crores. Please guide how to go to save the Capital gain tax.
Ans: Hi
You may have a long term capital gain of about Rs. 6.70 Lakhs. Suggestions to avoid paying any tax on this gain would be to pay towards the construction of the new house. This would mean that you may need to sell your house before you take possession of the new house in December 2023 and use the sale consideration to pay to the builder to the extent of approx Rs. 6.70 Lakhs to make it eligible as reinvestment in a new under construction property. This cannot be the other way round i.e. you cannot pay full amount to the builder and take possession and thereafter sell the old house.

If you need the house to stay till the possession of the new property then you could try for a rental arrangement with the buyer of your old house.

Financial Planner - Answered on Jul 28, 2023

I have some queries regarding tax on sale of my property which I need to show in my Income Tax return in FY-2023-24. I had purchased a flat in Kolkata at a total cost of 8.50 lacs [including registration cost] and registration was done in April, 2004. I had sold the said flat in May,2023 at Rs.31 lacs. My queries are :- 1. Do I need to pay Capital Gain tax on the sale of this flat ? 2. How much tax do I need to pay ? 3. How to show this capital gain income and tax in my Income Tax retirn next year ? Please advise. Regards, Ratan K. Saha
Ans: You need to understand the following things about taxation of your flat:-
1. You have earned a profit (called capital gains in this context) on the sale of your house. So tax is due.
2. However, tax will not simply be 31L – 8.5L. The Govt gives you an advantage of inflation over the years which increases your purchase cost through a process called ‘Indexation’, thus decreasing your tax. Please google and read up on it, or contact a good CA or a financial advisor.
3. You also get credit for registration and stamp duty charges, brokerages paid as also any improvements done in the house of a permanent nature.
4. Please read up on Income Tax Section 54 which also gives out how you can save tax on your final capital gains arrived at.
5. The entire calculations and sale/purchase details have to be shown in the ITR. Most probably you will be filling ITR-2 for this next year but please ascertain the same when you are about to file the tax since rules keep changing.
Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Aug 07, 2023

Sir, during this month (August2023) I sold my flat which was purchased by me in 2010. The total sale consideration as per govt guidelines was Rs 5973000/ and was registered at that amount, accordingly TDS at 1% on it was deducted at Rs 59730 and was credited to the govt account. My query is , TDS on sale of property at 1% is applicable in case the amount of sale exceeds Rs 50.00 lakhs . Whether the TDS is applicable on full sale consideration or on the difference amount ie, (5973000-500000)Rs 973000. 2. I had purchased the flat in April 2010 and the purchase price was Rs 3150000/ including Stamp duty, Registration charges and small amount towards interior work. I request you to advise me the applicability of Capital Gain Tax on it. Now I do not want to invest in any new property or in Capital gain bonds, I want to pay the applicable tax and close the transaction. Please advise me about the applicable Tax and close the formalities applicable in this regard. Siddramappa Kudarimoti.
Ans: The TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) of 1% on the sale of property exceeding Rs 50 lakhs is applicable on the full sale consideration. In your case, since the total sale consideration was Rs 5,973,000, the TDS of Rs 59,730 was deducted as per the guidelines. Based on the information you've provided, you might be liable for Capital Gains Tax. Capital Gains Tax is calculated based on the difference between the selling price and the indexed purchase price. The indexed purchase price adjusts the original purchase price for inflation over the holding period.
The tax on long-term capital gains is usually 20% (plus applicable surcharge and cess) after considering any exemptions or deductions available under Section 54 or Section 54F if you are not investing in another property or capital gains bonds.

To close the transaction and fulfill your tax obligations, you should consider the following steps:

a. Calculate Capital Gains: As explained above, calculate the capital gains based on the indexed purchase price and selling price.

b. Pay Capital Gains Tax: If you decide not to invest in another property or capital gains bonds, you will need to pay the applicable capital gains tax. You can do this by filling out the appropriate sections in your income tax return and paying the tax amount.

c. File Income Tax Return: Ensure that you accurately report the capital gains in your income tax return for the assessment year.

d. Keep Documentation: Maintain all relevant documents related to the property sale, purchase, and tax calculations for future reference