Tax Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.

If i have a salary of more than 15 Lakhs, What are the exemptions available in new tax regime. Heard EPF(12% of basic) and corporate NPS contribution(10% of basic) is exempted. Please confirm. Also confirm 80 ccd2 NPS is available in new regime?

Ans: If a Person having income from salary opt for new tax regime, deductions like HRA, interest on self occupied housing loan, 80C, 80D etc will not be available. PPF, NPS contribution will continue to be exempt and NPS deduction will also be available

Sir can u list the income exemptions which are eligible under revised New tax regime
Ans: The answer to your query is as below. I have simply copied it from another website, for your information.

With the revised new tax regime, several exemptions and deductions have been removed as below:-

1. Leave Travel Allowance
2. House rent allowance depending upon salary structure and rent paid
3. Professional tax paid by a maximum of Rs. 2,500/-
4. Deductions available under Section 80TTA and 80TTB that is interest from Savings Account/Deposits
5. Tax deduction on entertainment allowance and deduction on professional tax for government employees
6. The interest amount payable on home loan for a self-occupied or any vacant property u/s 24 maximum deductions of Rs 2 lakhs
7. Deduction of Rs 15,000 allowed from family pension under clause (ii) (a) Section 57
8. Special Allowances that are provided under Section 10(14) except:
9. Transport allowance granted to a disabled employee
10. Conveyance allowance
11. Any allowances granted for meeting the cost of travel on tour or transfer of an employee
12. Daily allowance
13. Perquisites
14. Business owners and professionals will lose the exemption to Special Economic Zones under Section 10AA.
15. Deductions under Section 32AD, 33AB, 33ABA, 35(1)(ii),35(1)(ii( (a), 35(1)(iii), 35(2AA), 35AD and 35CCC of the Income Tax Act.
16. Options of additional depreciation under Section 32(ii) (a) of the Income Tax Act
17. The option to carry forward or unabsorbed depreciation of earlier years
18. Tax-saving investment deductions under Income Tax Act , Chapter VI-A 80C, 80D, 80E, 80CCC, 80CCD, 80D, 80DD, 80DDB, 80EE, 80EEA, 80EEB, 80G, 80GG, 80GGA, 80GGC, 80IA, 80-IAB, 80-IAC, 80-IB, 80-IBA, etc. These tax-saving investment options include ELSS, NPS, PPF tax relief on mediclaim insurance premium, FDR, dependents who are differently-abled, expenses for specified medical treatments, interest on education loan and many more.

Exemptions that remain prevalent in the new revised system, that you can claim:

1. Standard deduction for salaried and pension class of Rs 50,000.
2. Interest received on Post Office Savings Account under Section 10(15)(i) the maximum amount of Rs. 3,500.
3. Gratuity received from employer up to a maximum amount of Rs. 20 Lacs.
4. Amount received from Life Insurance Policy on maturity under Section 10(10D).
5. Employer contribution in NPS or EPF up to 12% of salary and interest on EPF up to 9.5% p.a.
6. Income from Life Insurance.
7. Income from agricultural farming.
8. Standard reduction on rent.
9. Retrenchment compensation.
10. Leave encashment on retirement.
11. VRS proceeds up to Rs 5 lacs.
12. Retirement cum death benefit.
13. Money received as a scholarship for education.
14. Interest and maturity amount of PPF or Sukanya Smriddhi Yojna.
15. Commutation of Pension.
16. The new tax regime offers you to claim deductions u/s 80CCD(2) (employers contribution in notified pension scheme) and 80JJAA (for new employment).