Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Sep 08, 2022

Pannkaj Question by Pannkaj on Sep 08, 2022Translate

I have an individual health policy with Nivabupa. The current renewed policy document mentions:

1. Base Sum Insured Rs 5 lakh

2. Loyalty Additions Rs 2 lakh 

3. Next Column Sum Insured (Base Sum Insured + Loyalty Additions + Refill amount ^) (in Rs) 12,00,000

My 2 claims totalling Rs 6.25 lakh for Angiography and Bypass Surgery were settled only for Rs 500,000. 

Is this in line with norms? 

Ans: Hi Pannkaj,to answer your question we need to understand the plan details and the type of deduction done by the insurance company during the claim.

I suggest you speak with your insurer on why only Rs 500,000 was settled against your bills.

Also as a rule, do read all the terms and conditions on your policy document and the claim settlement process followed by your insurer.

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Jun 21, 2022

Dear Sir, Greetings of the day. I have got a health insurance of family floater type from Tata AIG for a sum of four lakhs. Recently, I got hospitalised and full four lakhs was paid by Tata Aig. But my hospital bill was six lakhs and sixty two thousand. So there was a shortfall of two lakhs sixty-two thousands. I have an Aditya Birla health Policy of family floater type for 45 lakhs. But it will come in to effect after 5 lakhs expenditure. So I myself paid one lakh from my pocket. And for rest one lakh sixty two thousand only I applied for cashless to Aditya Birla .But they denied it. Finally I paid that amount myself and came home. Afterwards I kept continuous follow up with them. Reconsideration and reminder letter was sent by TPA and Treating doctor. But again it was rejected. Now Aditya Birla employee is saying apply for reimbursement. When Tata Aig is clearing full amount, how come Aditya Birla is denying it? And how can I bridge the gap one lakh between two policies? Tata Aig says you have taken full claim so we cannot make your limit from four to five lakhs this year. Pls advise suitably. Best Wishes
Ans: Hi Mr. Tripathi, greetings to you. To answer your first question as to why Aditya Birla won’t provide you with cashless claim as opposed to TATA AIG is because the policy you bought from Aditya Birla is a ‘Super top up plan’ which basically means it is an addition to your base policy which in your case is your TATA AIG policy.

Super top up policies do not offer cashless claims but only provide reimbursements.

The one lakh gap, unfortunately, cannot be filled at this point. However, while renewing your policy you can opt for increased sum insured with TATA AIG. The insurer will ask you a set of questions and schedule medicals to analyse your risk profile. Post that based on your reports, the insurer will take a decision on increasing the limit.   

Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

I have mediclaim policy from Oriental Insurance Co since 1992 for 5 lakhs and other from New India Assurance for 7.5 Lakhs under SCUM scheme with my spouse. However both the policies have set a limit of Rs. 40,000 for Cataract surgery even though I have been diagnosed with 1) Cataract Phaco with Panoptix IOL, 2) Pupilloplasty, 3) CTR Implantation for which a renowned hospital billed me as below for separately for each eye. 1) Cataract Procedure Cost. Rs. 27000/- which is approved by Oriental in their contract with Hospital 2) IOL Cost Rs. 49000/- 3) Pulilloplasty Rs. 6950/- after discount 4) CTR Implantation Rs. 1600/ after discount Now in Claim No. 1 Oriental approved. Rs 36,000/- Only and balance Rs 48500 I had to pay Claim No. 2 Oriental approved Rs.73,300/- Only and balance Rs.11250/- I had to pay Surgery was done 1 week apart. In my case I was advised Cataract with multifocal IOL + Pupilloplasty + CTR Implantation So, I need your advice on: How can Insurer Oriental approve and give different claim amount for each eye and how can I claim for reimbursement of balance amount I had to pay. Appreciate your guidance and help.
Ans: Hi Jyoti, hope you are doing well. As you have mentioned that the claim amount for each eye has been different, to understand the reason behind this disparity, you will have to check the documentation submitted to the insurer for both the surgeries. Request you to contact your insurance advisor and discuss the same with the insurer to understand this gap further and help you resolve this issue. 

:
Sanjib

Sanjib Jha  | Answer  |Ask -

Insurance Expert - Answered on Oct 12, 2022

I am an employee of central govt. PSU. My family consists of myself, spouse, two minor children and mother. I am covered by a corporate group medical insurance policy for Rs 2 lakh with an additional emergency coverage of Rs 4 lakh by the employer. I also have a personal Family Floater policy for Rs 3 lakh and a Sr. Ctzn. Policy for Rs 1 lakh. I have not used the personal policies till date for any hospitalisation claim. I am aware that a claim exceeding the corporate policy limit can be claimed in the personal policy. Recently I was made to know that any planned hospitalisation exceeding the corporate claim limit, cannot be done using the second policy. I also know that there is a product called as top up policy which can be used in such cases. I have 8 years of remaining service where there is a medical insurance cover during the period. After retirement, the employer provides a basic policy of 1.5 lakh for the family. The same feels to be insufficient in today’s times. What would be your advice with regards to the existing medical insurance policies and their amounts? Should I need to undertake any tweaking of the policy amounts or switch to a top up policy?
Ans: Hi Pradeep, yours is a legit concern. It would be best if you take advice from a professional person or company – having the necessary qualifications -- after discussing your issue with them.

Insurance is each to its own. Depending on your concerns and requirements a professional service provider will be able to give you the best advice, whether to tweak policy amount or switch to top up.

Financial Planner - Answered on Mar 03, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 03, 2024Translate
I'm contemplating a career change in my late 30s, earning Rs 14 lakhs annually. How can I navigate this transition while ensuring financial stability and working towards long-term goals such as retirement?
Ans: Transitioning to a new career in your late 30s while maintaining financial stability and planning for long-term goals like retirement requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some steps you can take to navigate this transition effectively:

1. Assess Your Skills and Interests: Reflect on your skills, interests, and values to identify potential new career paths that align with your strengths and passions. Consider seeking career counseling or taking career assessment tests to explore different options.

2. Research Potential Careers: Conduct thorough research on the industries and roles you're interested in pursuing. Look into job market demand, salary potential, and growth opportunities to ensure your chosen career path is financially viable.

3. Skill Development and Education: Determine if you need to acquire new skills or education to transition into your desired field. This could involve enrolling in courses, obtaining certifications, or pursuing higher education such as a degree or specialised training programme.

4. Financial Planning: Evaluate your current financial situation and create a budget to understand your income, expenses, and savings. Factor in any potential changes in income or expenses associated with your career transition. Consider setting aside an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses.

5. Debt Management: If you have any outstanding debts, develop a plan to manage and pay them off efficiently. Prioritise high-interest debts like credit card debt while maintaining minimum payments on other loans.

6. Retirement Planning: Review your retirement savings accounts like the EPF, and assess whether you're on track to meet your long-term retirement goals. Consider consulting a financial advisor to develop a personalised retirement plan based on your age, income, risk tolerance, and retirement objectives.

7. Health Insurance and Benefits: Evaluate the health insurance and other benefits offered by your new employer, if applicable. Ensure you understand the coverage provided and any associated costs. If transitioning to self-employment or freelancing, research options for obtaining health insurance coverage independently.

8. Networking and Building Connections: Network with professionals in your desired industry to gain insights, advice, and potential job opportunities. Attend industry events, join professional associations, and leverage online networking platforms like LinkedIn to expand your network.

9. Side Hustle or Freelancing: Consider starting a side hustle or freelancing in your desired field while maintaining your current job. This can provide additional income, valuable experience, and a smoother transition into your new career.

10. Evaluate Risks and Rewards: Assess the risks and rewards associated with your career change, including potential income fluctuations, job stability, and work-life balance. Be prepared to adapt and make adjustments as needed throughout the transition process.

By following these steps and carefully planning your career transition, you can navigate the change while maintaining financial stability and working towards your long-term goals, including retirement.
Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |599 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Mar 03, 2024