Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Sanjeev Govila  |458 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on May 31, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
He has over 12 years of experience in financial planning and is a SEBI certified registered investment advisor; he is also accredited with AMFI and IRDA.... more
sachin Question by sachin on May 29, 2023Hindi

I have income of INR 13 Lacs.. I have lost close to 5 Lacs in INTRADAY TRADING AND F & O Trading from 2020-2023 ..How can i save on Tax in current year ..Is it possible to show capital Loss during investment declaration..

Ans: You have raised the point whether your past losses in F&O and Intraday trading can be used to save tax now? There are some points to note here:-

1. F&O is classified as a non-speculative business while Intraday Trading is classified as speculative business.
2. Both speculative and non-speculative business incomes are added to your overall income including salary, other business income, interest on deposits, income from rentals, etc and taxed according to the applicable tax for you.
3. Losses arising from speculative transactions are called speculative losses. These losses can be carried forward for a period of up to four consecutive financial years. Also, they can be set-off only against speculative business income made during that period.
4. On the other hand, losses arising from non-speculative transactions (non-speculative losses) can be carried forward for a period of up to eight consecutive financial years. You can set-off non-speculative losses against any other business income except salary in the same year.
5. Usually, trading in futures & options must be reported as a business unless you have only a few trades (say if only 2-3 trades) in the financial year. Remember this also applies to individuals. You don’t have to be formally incorporated as a company or some legal entity to earn business income. Individuals can have business income too.

From your statement it seems that you have not reported your past losses. If you have not done so, then you would not be able to set them off in the manner given above. However, if you have any such losses in the last financial year whose Income Tax Return (ITR) is yet to be filed, you can use the set-off rules as given above.

For more clarity, do discuss it in more details with your tax filing person.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Aug 22, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Aug 21, 2023Hindi
I work for a private company with annual CTC of Rs 17.6 lakh, What are the investments which I must do in order to save the tax, Currently I have 4 Life Insurance policies with premium Rs 1 lakh Senior Citizen health insurance of Rs 25k I have a 3 year old daughter, this year I m planning for Sukhanya Samruddhi of Rs 1.5 lakh
Ans: Hi,

Given your annual CTC of Rs 17.6 lakh and your current investments, here are some tax-saving investment options you can consider for the financial year 2023-24:

1. Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS): This is a type of mutual fund that not only helps you save tax but also gives you an opportunity to grow your money. They have a lock-in period of 3 years.

2. Public Provident Fund (PPF): You've mentioned planning for Sukanya Samriddhi for your daughter, which is a great choice. In addition to that, you can also consider investing in PPF. It's a long-term investment option that offers tax-free interest.

3. Unit Linked Insurance Plan (ULIP): Since you already have life insurance policies, you might want to look into ULIPs. They offer both insurance and investment under a single integrated plan.

4. National Savings Certificate: This is another safe investment option that you can consider.

5. New Pension Scheme (NPS): It's a voluntary, long-term retirement savings scheme designed to enable systematic savings. It is a mix of equity, fixed deposits, corporate bonds, liquid funds, and government funds.

6. Fixed Deposits: Some fixed deposits offer tax-saving benefits. However, the interest earned might be taxable.

7. Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS): Since you've mentioned senior citizen health insurance, if you or your family members qualify, SCSS can be a good option. It offers a good interest rate.

Remember, the key is to diversify your investments and not put all your money into one basket. It's also essential to keep in mind the lock-in periods, returns, and tax implications of each investment option.

I hope this helps!

..Read more

Latest Questions
Nayagam P

Nayagam P P  |2230 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counsellor - Answered on Jul 21, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 20, 2024Hindi
Sir, i have completed my bachelors (BCA) in India in an engineering college and wishes to pursue my masters in a foreign country.My family is'nt well off so iam looking into schlorships.can you suggest some courses with good scope. Also which countries are best for IT field that provide great schlorship oppurtunities.
Ans: As far as Scholarships for Abroad Universities are concerned, you should have good scores from the entrance tests (whichever will be applicable according to the University's admission criteria), good past academic records, your extra and co-curricular activities, additional certifications, your Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation etc. Those who have gained work experience of a minimum 2-3 years after graduation get preference in admission.

And most of the Universities do not provide 100% scholarships. You will have to bear some expenses (depends upon which University / College you get admission into & what all expenses only it will cover?) .

As you have mentioned that your parents NOT well-off financially, it is suggested to work for 2-3 years, earn some money and also gain work experience, then go for further education abroad.

Before approaching any Professional Abroad Education Consultant, do a thorough research about the Countries/Universities/Programs, shortlist those which you think will be most suitable, apply to 5-6 top Univerities offering Scholarships and finalize one best University/College for you.

All the BEST for Your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, ask / Follow Us here in RediffGURUS.

...Read more

DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds