Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 26, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
Shailendra Question by Shailendra on Apr 07, 2023Translate

My daughter studying in Germany was outside India in 2022-24 for more than 182 days. She has income from there from parttime job and paid Internship. In India she has Income share investment capital gain and dividend. How she will be taxed. Should I change 3in 1 Saving bank account.

Ans: Hi Shailendra
Assuming that you are referring to FY 2022-23, as your daughter was outside India for more than 182 days, her income in Germany would not be taxable in India. You need to note that she should not get the income credited in India in the first instance. She could deposit the income in Germany first and then remit it to her NRO or NRE account in India.

She needs to get her savings account in India redesignated as NRO account

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 07, 2023

My daughter studying in Germany was outside India in FY 2022-23 for more than 182 days. She has income in Germany from parttime job and paid Internship. In India she has Income from share investment /MF capital gain/loss and dividend. How she will be taxed in India. Should I change her 3 in 1 Saving bank account with ICICI Direct.
Ans: Dear Shailendra,

As your daughter was outside India for more than 182 days during the financial year 2022-23, she would be considered a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) for tax purposes. I'll outline the tax implications for her below.

Income earned in Germany: As an NRI, your daughter will not be taxed in India for the income she earned in Germany through her part-time job and paid internship. She will need to pay taxes on this income according to the tax laws in Germany.
Income from share investments, mutual funds, and dividends in India: As an NRI, your daughter will only be taxed on her income that is earned or accrued in India. This includes:
Short-term capital gains on equity shares and equity-oriented mutual funds: These will be taxed at a rate of 15%.
Long-term capital gains on equity shares and equity-oriented mutual funds: Gains exceeding ₹1 lakh will be taxed at a rate of 10%.
Short-term and long-term capital gains on non-equity investments (e.g., debt mutual funds) will be taxed as per the applicable slab rates for NRIs.
Dividends: Dividends received from Indian companies will be subject to tax deduction at source (TDS) at a rate of 20% (plus applicable cess and surcharge).
Regarding your query about changing her 3-in-1 savings bank account with ICICI Direct, it is advisable to inform the bank about her change in residential status and convert the account into an NRO (Non-Resident Ordinary) account. This will help in managing the tax compliance for her investments in India.

Please note that the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Germany may provide relief from being taxed on the same income in both countries. Your daughter should consult a tax professional in Germany to understand the applicable provisions and claim any benefits available under the DTAA.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards