Home > User

Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help


Hardik Parikh106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 07, 2023

Asked on - Apr 07, 2023Translate

My daughter studying in Germany was outside India in FY 2022-23 for more than 182 days. She has income in Germany from parttime job and paid Internship. In India she has Income from share investment /MF capital gain/loss and dividend. How she will be taxed in India. Should I change her 3 in 1 Saving bank account with ICICI Direct.
Ans: Dear Shailendra,

As your daughter was outside India for more than 182 days during the financial year 2022-23, she would be considered a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) for tax purposes. I'll outline the tax implications for her below.

Income earned in Germany: As an NRI, your daughter will not be taxed in India for the income she earned in Germany through her part-time job and paid internship. She will need to pay taxes on this income according to the tax laws in Germany.
Income from share investments, mutual funds, and dividends in India: As an NRI, your daughter will only be taxed on her income that is earned or accrued in India. This includes:
Short-term capital gains on equity shares and equity-oriented mutual funds: These will be taxed at a rate of 15%.
Long-term capital gains on equity shares and equity-oriented mutual funds: Gains exceeding ₹1 lakh will be taxed at a rate of 10%.
Short-term and long-term capital gains on non-equity investments (e.g., debt mutual funds) will be taxed as per the applicable slab rates for NRIs.
Dividends: Dividends received from Indian companies will be subject to tax deduction at source (TDS) at a rate of 20% (plus applicable cess and surcharge).
Regarding your query about changing her 3-in-1 savings bank account with ICICI Direct, it is advisable to inform the bank about her change in residential status and convert the account into an NRO (Non-Resident Ordinary) account. This will help in managing the tax compliance for her investments in India.

Please note that the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Germany may provide relief from being taxed on the same income in both countries. Your daughter should consult a tax professional in Germany to understand the applicable provisions and claim any benefits available under the DTAA.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds