Nidhi

Nidhi Gupta  |161 Answers  |Ask -

Physiotherapist - Answered on Feb 20, 2024

Nidhi Bajaj Gupta has 20 years of experience as a physiotherapist.
She founded the Merahki Holistic Wellness Company in 2011 and is the co-founder of Miraaya Holistic Growth Centre.
She has a bachelor's degree in physiotherapy from Sancheti Institute for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Pune, and certifications in myofascial release, dry needling and craniosacral therapy from New York, San Francisco and Singapore.
Arun Question by Arun on Jul 26, 2023Hindi

Hello Coach, Arun from delhi, 43 years old (weight 81 Kg, Height 5 ft 8 inch), sedentary job style. I was very health conscious about diet, fitness. But during workout for abdominal strength, there was some pain in my back & doctor suggest for MRI and found there was slip disc / disc herniation issue of L4-L5. During last 2.6 years, does several physiotherapy with renowned physio center, yoga & focusing on my diet plan. After 1.6 years also comparing MRI report, shows almost same situation. Need your guidance in this matter, how to recover from pain. Because my current situation is, while standing 5-6 minutes, or walking 5-10 minutes, pain increase from buttock to left side feet. Then I have to take rest for 3-4 minutes, to start again. So, please guide me or suggest me as per your experience. Thanks Arun kumar

Ans: Hello Arun,
Please do let me know more details about the physiotherapy done. Did they give you a Mckenzie program for slipped disc as that is one of the best treatment for disc issues. It includes systematic exercises like wall side glides, road kill position, back extensions. If you are having pain on left side of leg/feet it seems to be a posterolateral disc protrusion for which the wall side glides are very important.
Have you been working on your core? Are your Vitamin D3 and B12 levels ok? How much is your weight now?
If not already please goto a Mckenzie certified physiotherapist and it can make a lot of difference.
If not ok after that also then you may need to go to an orthopedic doctor and consider a minor surgery for the disc.

Nidhi

Nidhi Gupta  |161 Answers  |Ask -

Physiotherapist - Answered on Oct 16, 2023

i am 55 years old. Retired defense pilot. Have lots of sports injury which is showing up at this age. Body biochemistry is all with in limits, only fasting sugar is 108. For last few months i am having pain in outer left thigh muscles which increases during sleep as well as while lying down resulting in sleepless nights hence general body fatigue due lack of sleep. My exercise includes 5-6 km walk in the morning and occasionally thrice a week cycling. Orthopedic , General surgeon, neurologist as well as ayurvedic doctor has been consulted with MRI report. FINDINGS: Dorsal and lumbar vertebrae are normal in attenuation and alignment. Straightening of lumbar lordosis. Desiccation of lumbar intervertebral disc from L2-L3 to L5-S1 levels. Mild diffuse disc bulges at L2-L3, L3-L4 and L4-L5 intervertebral discs indenting anterior thecal sac with mild narrowing of lateral recesses and neural foramina. No significant compression of the cauda equina. Mild disc bulge at L5-S1 level indenting anterior thecal sac. Bilateral facet arthropathy is seen at L4-L5 level. Dorsal spinal cord, conus medullaris and cauda equine are normal. Para spinal soft tissues are normal. IMPRESSION: Mild lumbar spondylosis with mild diffuse disc bulges from L2-L3 to L5-S1 levels. Kindly help me and advice
Ans: Hello Partha,
You need to consult a physiotherapist who knows the Mckenzie treatment for slipped disc. At times pain in outer thigh can be due to slipped disc.
Or you may have a hip bursitis which will not come up in lumbar spine MRI, only hip MRI will show it. Outer thigh pain while sleeping on left side can cause pain if it is a left hip bursitis.
Or this could be a Iliotibial band tightness which is a band of muscles on the outer thigh.
A good sports physiotherapist who also knows the Mckenzie treatment needs to evaluate you, understand the root cause and accordingly give you the treatment and you should be fine.

HI, I am 41 years old and want to start a SIP to give a return of 20 lakh in next 15 yrs for children education. which fund I should choose?
Ans: Goal Assessment

You aim to accumulate Rs. 20 lakh over the next 15 years for your children's education.

Starting a SIP is a smart way to achieve this goal.

Let's explore the best approach to meet your objective.

Investment Horizon and Risk Appetite

You have a long-term horizon of 15 years.

This allows you to take on more risk for potentially higher returns.

Equity mutual funds are suitable for long-term goals.

Types of Equity Mutual Funds

Large-Cap Funds: Invest in big, stable companies. Less risky but moderate returns.

Mid-Cap Funds: Invest in medium-sized companies. Moderate risk and returns.

Small-Cap Funds: Invest in smaller companies. High risk but high returns.

Flexi-Cap Funds: Invest across various company sizes. Balanced risk and returns.

Why Not Index Funds?

Index funds follow the market. They lack active management.

Actively managed funds aim to beat the market.

This offers potentially higher returns.

For your goal, actively managed funds are better.

Professional Management: Managed by experts.

Personal Guidance: Certified Financial Planner can guide you.

Better Performance: Regular monitoring and adjustments.

Choosing the Right Funds

Diversify across different types of funds.

This balances risk and reward.

A mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds is ideal.

Example Allocation Strategy

Large-Cap Fund: 40% for stability and steady growth.

Mid-Cap Fund: 30% for moderate growth.

Small-Cap Fund: 20% for high growth potential.

Flexi-Cap Fund: 10% for balanced growth.

Regular Monitoring and Review

Review your investments annually.

Adjust based on performance and changing market conditions.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner regularly.

Benefits of SIP

Discipline: Ensures regular investment.

Rupee Cost Averaging: Buys more units when prices are low.

Compounding: Helps in wealth creation over time.

Why Avoid Direct Funds?

Direct funds lack personal guidance.

You miss out on expert advice.

Certified Financial Planners provide valuable insights.

Starting a SIP for your child's education is a wise decision.

Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and flexi-cap funds.

Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.

Seek professional guidance to stay on track.

I am a PSU employee. Now started getting EPFO pension after the age of 58 years. Where shall I show this amount received in ITR? In Salary Section or Income from other sources? If it is to be shown in the salary section, is the employer is the same as that of my current employee? Presently my age is 59 years and still working in the same PSU.
Ans: Receiving your EPFO pension after the age of 58 is a significant milestone. Given your current age of 59 and your ongoing employment with the same PSU, it's crucial to understand how to report this pension income correctly in your Income Tax Return (ITR).

Where to Report EPFO Pension in ITR
Salary Section vs. Income from Other Sources:
Income from Other Sources: EPFO pension is considered as "Income from Other Sources". This means it should be reported under this section in your ITR.
Reporting Details
Employer Details:
When reporting EPFO pension under "Income from Other Sources", you do not need to list your current employer as the source. The pension is disbursed by the Employees' Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), which acts as the payer.
Continued Employment
Working Beyond 58 Years:
Since you are still working in the same PSU, your current salary will continue to be reported under the "Salary" section of your ITR.
There is no overlap or confusion between the two sources of income.
Tax Implications
Taxable Income:
The EPFO pension is fully taxable as per your applicable tax slab.
Make sure to include the entire amount received in the relevant section to avoid any discrepancies.
Benefits of Correct Reporting
Compliance:
Correctly reporting your pension income ensures compliance with tax regulations.
This helps in avoiding any potential scrutiny or penalties from tax authorities.
Ensuring Accuracy
Double-check Figures:
Verify the pension amount received with the statements provided by EPFO.
Cross-check with your bank statements to ensure accuracy.
Professional Advice
Certified Financial Planner (CFP):
Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide additional insights into managing your retirement income effectively.
They can help you optimize your tax liabilities and ensure you are maximizing your financial benefits.
Insight into Pension and Salary Reporting
Separate Sources:
Keep your salary income and pension income distinctly separate in your financial records.
This clarity helps in maintaining accurate and transparent financial management.
Clear Distinctions:

Understand the distinction between salary income and pension income.
Report EPFO pension under "Income from Other Sources".
Professional Guidance:

Utilize the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner for comprehensive financial planning.
Ensure compliance with tax regulations to avoid any future issues.
Summary
Do not list current employer details for the pension.
Pension income is fully taxable.
Consult a Certified Financial Planner for optimal financial management.