Dr Aarti

Dr Aarti Bakshi  |40 Answers  |Ask -

Child and Parenting Counsellor - Answered on Jul 24, 2023

Dr Aarti Bakshi is a psychologist licensed by the Rehabilitation Council of India.
A school counsellor, she has worked for 15 years with young adults.
She has two PhD degrees -- developmental psychology from Global Institute of Healthcare Management and clinical psychology from Singhania University.
She is on the CBSE panel for counsellors and special educators. She collaborates with SAAR Education to help children develop life skills.
Sanjay Question by Sanjay on Jun 06, 2023Hindi

Hi, My son faces challenges of not doing well in the examination, he is in class XII with PCM and has an extra ordinary logical and analytical ability. All his teachers give excellent feedback about him however, he makes silly mistakes in some subjects, his representation of knowledge in the exam paper is not improving and often leaves a question answered incompletely. Also he had peculiar problem of writing wrong spellings for even simple words which in subjects such as language reduces his overall score. He understand difficult concepts of mathematics and physics very easily and hence aspires quite big. But his exam scores will be bottleneck for the same. Please suggest which kind of consultants( doctors/ Psychologist/Counsellors) we should discuss this for a solution.

Ans: Kindly do a learning difficulty assessment with a RCI registered clinical psychologist. The strategies and support would help.
Check sleep quality and connect with technology to rule off being too tired

Mam, my son has just completed his 12 class in commerce stream. His self confidence is low and in exams he failed to give his 100% and score low marks than his capability. His is also careless in studies. please guide how we can help him and how he can improve on this. We are very much disturbed due to this. Please help...
Ans: Dear Lakhbinder,
That age is a very confusing time for youngsters as they not only have to deal with the expectations of the school and parents but also 'fit in' with their peers.
It is natural to be defocused from academics and not do their best and I do understand your worry especially if he is aiming at a highly academic course after Class 12.

In my experience, working with youngsters, this is what I have understood:

Youngsters are not careless with their studies without reasons.
- They are doing a course which they were forced into or don't have an aptitude for
- They have immense pressure at home and school to perform
- They have been subject to a lot of comparison with those performing well in their class
- They have a lot of unwanted influences through chat apps and social media apps
- They are constantly monitored as to how much effort they are putting
- They are simply giving into their rebellious streaks given the age

It could be any of the above. Do identify and if there are things as a parent you can do, kindly step in NOT as a friend but by being more accepting and FRIENDLY. If it's about focus orientation, seek an expert who in one session will be able to help him through re-training the mind hacks which are simple to follow with amazing results.

Dr Nagarajan J S K

Dr Nagarajan J S K   |39 Answers  |Ask -

Health Science and Pharmaceutical Careers Expert - Answered on Jul 19, 2024