Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 12, 2024

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Jagdish Question by Jagdish on May 28, 2024Hindi

My son is pursuing his b.com. in economics and analytics from N.M.College, Mumbai. What options are open to him after graduation, both in India and abroad?

Ans: Hello Jagdish,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your son is pursuing Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) in Economics and Analytics. As an answer to your query, I would like to tell you that post graduating with a B.Com. in Economics and Analytics from N.M. College, Mumbai, several employment options will be available to your son both in India and overseas. In India, he may look into market research, financial analysis, data analysis, or consultancy positions in a variety of sectors viz., finance, banking, e-commerce, or analytics companies. In order to improve his employment opportunities further, your son could also think about pursuing further education viz., specialized master’s programs in finance, economics, or data analytics, or an MBA. Overseas, based on the local labor market and visa policies, your son could investigate comparable job options in consulting, finance, or data analysis. Moreover, in order to acquire worldwide exposure and experience, your son could also think about seeking internships or entry-level jobs in multinational corporations with offices in both India and other countries.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 17, 2024

Hello Sir, My son is currently pursuing his under graduation in ( Economics, Maths and Stastistics) from Christ. University . Want to know the future prospects or what further can be pursued going ahead . An MS in which areas would you suggest. Thanks and Regards. VMG
Ans: Hello Vinod,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear that your son is currently pursuing his Bachelors from Christ University. As an answer to your query, I would like to let you know that your son’s undergraduate studies in Economics, Mathematics, and Statistics offer a solid basis for a wide range of job pathways and postgraduate studies. Concerning your query regarding the future prospects, I would like to tell you that your son can take up jobs viz., that of a Data Analyst, Quantitative Analyst, Data Scientist, or Business Analyst, in sectors viz., Finance, Consulting, Technology, Retail, and Healthcare. He may also choose to work as an Investment Banker, Actuary, Financial Analyst, or Economist in sectors such as Insurance, Consultancy, Government, Corporate Finance, or Banking. In the research and academia domain, your son can take up jobs viz., that of an Academic Researcher, Research Analyst, or Professor wherein he can work at Research Institutes, Think Tanks, or Universities. In addition to the ones mentioned above, your son can also choose to work as an Operations Research Analyst, Software Developer, or Algorithm Engineer at Engineering Firms, Startups, or Tech Companies. Concerning your question regarding the areas for further study, I would like to tell you that your son can think about pursuing an MS in Economics, MS in Financial Engineering/Quantitative Finance, MS in Computational Finance. He can also choose to pursue an MS in Operations Research, MS in Data Science/Analytics, MS in Actuarial Science, or an MS in Statistics/Applied Statistics.

While selecting an MS program, I would recommend that your son takes into account the location and program’s standing. He should investigate programs with solid linkages to the industry as well as a track record of successful placements. He should make sure he fulfills the requirements for the programs he is considering. He should take into account his professional objectives, factoring in the positions and sectors he is drawn to. All in all, your son should select a field that best resonates with his passion and strengths.

Given your son’s solid background in mathematics, I would like to tell you that he has numerous exciting possibilities for future education and employment. Jobs in data science, operations research, and finance could possibly suit him well. When determining which path to choose, your son should take into account his interests and professional objectives. An MS in any of these fields will lead to a wealth of possibilities in business, academia, and other areas.

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -