Chocko

Chocko Valliappa  |293 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Entrepreneur, Educationist - Answered on May 13, 2024

Chocko Valliappa is the founder and CEO of Vee Technologies, a global IT services company; HireMee, a talent assessment and talent management start-up; and vice chairman of The Sona Group of education institutions.
A fourth-generation entrepreneur, Valliappa is a member of Confederation of Indian Industry, Nasscom, Entrepreneurs Organization and Young Presidents’ Organization.
He was honoured by the YPO with their Global Social Impact award in 2018.
Navin Question by Navin on May 10, 2024Hindi

Hi, My name is Navin Tiwari having 12.03 years of experience in Sales & marketing with Master in marketing. Currently working with Havells India Ltd. Has also very diverse experience in terms of area(Gujarat,Chatishgadh,Odisha & Maharashtra). Due to some toxic situation I switched my job in 2022 and joined Havells but on junior position any how able to managed the salary with little growth. Now want to grow my position and salary since I am underpaid. Another issue is not learning. Pl specify & suggest skill set and to whom I learn it. And if any better opportunity pls suggest.(Plan to move or grow within 3 to 6 month)

Ans: Sales and marketing as you know is a field with vast opportunities. Havells is a company to work with, learn and grow. Talk to your colleagues, superiors and get feedback on areas you can improve to meet and exceed the given sales targets. Touch the cause of this toxic environment and how you can improve and get better. Check with your large customers in confidence on what can you do to service them better, identify areas where your company can add products and share this feedback with your seniors. With your experience you would know what is holding you up. Your positive attitude, sincerity and commitment can lead you to growth here or in other companies.

Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Mar 02, 2021

Hi Mayank,Hope you are doing great.I am Jitendranath, 45 years, from Hyderabad. I am writing this after reading your article on Rediff.Basically I am a mechanical engineer having 20+ years of experience in the EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) and manufacturing industry in the procurement/SCM function.I worked with companies like Fenner and Kirby in Hyderabad before moving to Thermax, Pune, where I worked for 6+ years. I then returned to Hyderabad with the intention of starting a small business.But, even after four years, I couldn't succeed in establishing my business and lost all the capital. So I started searching for suitable positions.I have had no success since the past two years as the EPC and manufacturing industry is itself struggling for several years (since 2012) from scams like coalgate, policy paralysis, demonetisation, GST and now COVID-19.Even though there are a few jobs in the market, I may not be meeting their requirements.Could you please help me?How I should change and develop my skills to meet current and future demand so that I get a suitable job? I am the single source of income for my family of six.Thanks and regards,Jitendranath V

Hi Jitendranath.

I believe you have the right foundation to restart your corporate career.

You can plan that with these specific points:

1. With your background in EPC, and with the economy looking up, you can focus on infrastructure and the real estate industry.

2. You can also explore opportunities in international markets like the Middle East and Canada.

3. With 20 years of experience, you must continue to focus on managerial and leadership competencies.

All the best.

Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Dec 23, 2021

Dear Mayank, Please guide me as to what I should do. I'm working as an HR officer (offrole). I am 30 years old. My salary is below the minimum wage rate. I have been working here since 1.9 years but still have got no increment. I'm a career oriented person. I want to move to the next position. When I was offered this job, it was mentioned I would be taken onroll after 1.5 yr to 2 years. But still there is nothing being done. New people that are being hired on same profile as me are hired on onroll (FTC) with salary higher than mine. Moreover, some HR interns have also been hired and once they are absorbed in the company, they will be on the company’s payroll. An HR intern whom I have trained from A to Z and is a fresher is being offered a regional HR position. This is a position that is higher than mine. I cannot understand why someone like me who has 1.9 years of experience in the company is not even considered. I have got an offer from a pharmaceutical company and I have resigned from my current job. But I'm still confused about whether I should leave this company or not. Please guide me about what to do so that I can grow on my career. In the current company, there is a lot of politics and I'm not able to deal with it. I'm losing my confidence. I want to keep this anonymous. Thank you.

You must discuss these concerns you have regarding your career not growing in the same manner as your colleagues with your manager or HR.

If it can be resolved, then continue on your current role.

Else, you can consider the new job after you have done due diligence about the new company and its management.

Workplace Expert - Answered on Feb 19, 2024

Dear Mr. Krishna Kumar....This is sandhu here....I have been working in the logistics industry for about 25 years. My initial requirement was to learn from the front end since I was working in the back operations...hence I moved on to another county worked in 2 companies a freight forwarder and a distributor...and I am now working in the gulf with the second company (Distributor of world-class brand in electronics ) for about 17 years and growth seems to be completely stalled in terms of position. I am right now in a middle management position however looking for management position for about 17 years but does not seem to be working. Really do not know what should I do and looking for more expert advise...should I change to teaching filed....I am completely stationary in terms of growth prospects.
Ans: Dear Mr.Sandhu

Feeling stagnated in work or life is a normal that we all need to embrace. Many a times this feeling comes more out of peer pressure than our own.

Firstly, please define what growth means to you...role & responsibilities, position, salary, team size, value creation.

Secondly, do an honest assessment for self in each of the above areas and see where you think you are not growing.

Thirdly, ask yourself what is it that you want to do, if you feel for teaching then go for it but if it is a compromise because you feel you are not growing then I would suggest don't.

Fourthly, take up some courses that can enhance your skill sets.

Lastly, assess your own needs and wants at the stage of life you are in, talk to your family and see if what you have is good enough to live a peaceful and contented life.

All the best.

I purchased an NSC in 2018 and paid tax every year for the interest on accrual basis. But it seems from last year, post offices are providing data to AIS on receipt basis, that is, whole amount of interest on maturity. What happens to the money I paid as taxes in previous years on the same basis? How do I adjust them? Please help as many people I now face this issue.
Ans: You're right! The tax treatment of NSC interest can be confusing. Here's what you need to know:

Good news: The taxes you've paid on the accrued interest in previous years are valid. You don't need to adjust them.

Why?

The Income Tax department in India treats interest earned on NSCs on an accrual basis, even though the interest is paid out at maturity. This means you were correct to pay taxes on the accrued interest every year.

What about the data mismatch with AIS?

The post office might now be reporting the entire interest on maturity to the Annual Information Statement (AIS). This can create a discrepancy.

How to handle it?

• You don't need to file any corrections for previous years.
• When filing your current year's return, consider the following:

1. If you consistently claimed the accrued interest as income in previous years, only report the interest for the final year (maturity year) in your current return. This avoids double taxation.
2. You can file feedback in the AIS portal mentioning that the interest for the previous years was already offered for tax purposes. This helps in clarifying the situation.

Additional tips:

• It's advisable to maintain records of your previous tax returns where you declared the accrued interest.
• If you have any concerns, consult a tax advisor for personalized guidance specific to your situation.

This is a common issue faced by many NSC holders. By following these steps, you can ensure your tax filing remains accurate.

Sir, We've observed that you tend to recommend institutions like VIT, which have a non-transparent category system (where you 'buy' your way up over other deserving students) over Manipal CSE at both the main campus and the Bangalore campus. You also seem to favor institutions such as RV (I am from RV and a Bangalorean for over 40 years) and BMS, which are no doubt good , but ranked lower than Main Manipal in their placements. Is there a particular reason for this bias against Manipal in your recommendations? Manipal Sikkim, we can understand. Please note, I do not have any family connections to Manipal nor We have anyone studying there. We are exploring fallback options including Manipal for our son in case he doesn't get his desired branch at BITS Pilani or NITs. If a reason as to why 'No Manipal' it'll be helpful for all. Thank you for your guidance.
Ans: Thanks for your feedback. Regarding Manipal, it is one of the top-ranked universities with good placements. I had clearly mentioned it is not suitable, only for SOME (not all) students due to some reasons and the feedback I got some from Manipal students on 'Non-Academic / Psychological' Factors. Psychological factors also play an important role for careers. There are students who are academically strong, but psychologically might be average or below. Regarding VIT, most of the parents'/candidates' questions do not specifically refer about the Category they got. If they clearly mention about the category, I reply accordingly that, to go for VIT only if they can afford the fees. I hope I have clarified your clarified your doubt. Thanks once again for your feedback and for reading my answers. All the BEST for Your Son's Bright Future.

Hello sir.. my son secured 96.07pecentile in JEE mains with a rank around 60k.. basis this he applied and now has a few offers from pvt colleges.. Just to add he has basic knowledge about AI/Python from his school, while he has also registered himself for IITM BS degree online course (this course he plans to keep doing with regular engg). I will be grateful for your guidance on below four pointers... 1. Will it be too much stress to carry on with the online (NPTEL) BS-degree course of IITM with regular full-time BTech? 2. He is getting Elec n Instru at Nirma in round 1.. how would you prefer this EIE branch, from future perspective or is too low placed compared to ECE at same univ. And also critical cons about Nirma UG courses! 3. He has offer for CSE (in round 1) from - JKLU, Jaipur; KJ Somaiya (KJSCE); Symbiosis (SIT); Mahindra Ecole. 4. Thapar, Patiala has offered Robotics in round-1, while we are awaiting results from Jaypee, Sastra and YMCA, Faridabad Please help decide for the best college considering ROI (I mean 25L at some colleges where CSE batch is 1400+) and his future career path. A faster response will help us decide soon, since I have blocked too much money also for the admission offers, which might become a tedious task at refund time! Thanks! Amit
Ans: Amit Sir, Please note (1) Regarding his online Course with NPTEL-IITM, it depends upon how he manages / utilizes his time after joining his BTech. If he manages his time well for both, he can. (2) Better to prefer ECE over E & I (3) Order of Preference: Sastra (Tanjore) | Jaypee | Symbiosis (Hope, out of these 3, you can finalize one) (4) ROI: Rate of Return depends only only upon the College your joins Sir, but also your son's self-motivation, dedication, his academic performance with co-curricular activities in College, Upgrading his skills in 4-years, having professional Linkedin Pofile & his preparation for Campus Interview. Sir, I hope I have clarified all your doubts. Any further clarification, you can raise here. All The Best for Your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

Hi Anu, I'm married since 5 years now and having loving In-Laws who are financially very well to do. My husband and I earn very less as compared to my in-laws, with whom we stay. My husband is 37 years old and earns 47000 INR a month, out of which he saves 35000 INR (in-laws have told him not to spend on house expense, but instead save). The rest 12000 INR he has for himself. I am also working and all my earning is with me. The problem is that he usually ends up spending almost all of the 12K. This angers me as I feel he should focus on saving as much as possible from that. We have an understanding among us that the expense for enjoyment will be borne by me as his major chunk is being saved for "Our" future. Am I wrong to be upset with his spending?
Are you wrong to be upset?
NO and YES...
NO; as you feel wronged that you are the one spending on enjoyment, so where does he spend 12K?
YES; as you have not conveyed it to him or the two of you have not spoken about it earlier. Have you discussed that he must save the 12K?
So, the key to any solid marriage is COMMUNICATION...Communicating your needs, wants, desires, values and aligning them to make the marriage work looking at the larger picture.

Simply have a frank conversation. For all you know, he may just understand where you are coming from; BUT if he wants to spend SOME OF his hard earned money on himself his way, kindly let it be. It's the pride of a man to be able to earn and spend without asking for anyone's permission. Do respect that...

Hi mam, My parents are very strict ones I tried to talk to them from last aug to November or December my father stoped talking to me and abused me with abusive words and my mother did not say anything she was in support to my parents, then I stopped some while , now parents are behaving normally like nothing happened and mother was asking is I forget about him i said no again and now I want to talk again about this issue but I don't how to start again I feel hesitation and i started panicking I feel so sad all the time I don't know what to do please help me . I love my parents and my partner very much , my partners parents were ready for us but now they are saying tell her to do talk to her parents fastly and ask if they are ready or not we will not wait for her , they are forcing him to marry someone else I'm so stressed all the time.
If you are an adult and my that I mean at an age where you can legally be married, then what is the confusion?
Also, is your partner is someone who values you and is also in a good financial position? (I say this only because many girls become blind in love without realizing that his income is the one that will support the family when you are ready to have a baby wherein there will be a small break in your career or you will have the flexibility to take a break).

What is the reason for your parents to say NO to this boy? I suggest that you address that concern otherwise no amount of talking is going to convince them. Request your partner to speak with his family so that can give you sometime to talk to your parents and sort things first. You are stressed all the time because instead of finding ways to solve the problem, you have been sitting with the problem and worrying about it.

Talk to your parents first, understand why don't like your partner and what must happen for them to start liking him. See where this talk leads you to...