Yusuf Question by Yusuf on May 31, 2024Hindi

My wife and I have a mutual friend whose behavior I find troubling. Although we live in different cities, I still get upset and anxious whenever the topic of this friend comes up, but his wife remains friends with my wife. How can I manage my feelings and maintain harmony in my relationship while dealing with this situation? Your ABCD

Ans: Dear Yusuf,
Dealing with difficult emotions in relationships, especially when it involves mutual friends, can be challenging. Here’s a structured approach to help you manage your feelings and maintain harmony:

Acknowledge your feelings. Recognize that your feelings of upset and anxiety are valid. It’s important to identify why this person’s behavior affects you so strongly. Reflect on specific instances that triggered these feelings and understand what about their behavior is troubling you.

Balance communication with your wife. Have an open and honest conversation with your wife about your feelings towards this mutual friend. Use “I” statements to express how you feel without placing blame, such as, “I feel anxious when the topic of our mutual friend comes up because...”. This way, your wife can understand your perspective without feeling attacked or defensive.

Consider boundaries. Discuss with your wife how you can both maintain boundaries that respect your feelings while allowing her to continue her friendship. This might mean agreeing to limit discussions about this friend or finding times when she can catch up with the friend without it affecting you. It’s about finding a balance that works for both of you.

Develop coping strategies. Find ways to manage your anxiety and upset feelings when the topic of this friend arises. This could include deep breathing exercises, mindfulness, or engaging in activities that help you relax and divert your attention. Additionally, seeking support from a therapist can provide you with tools to handle these emotions more effectively.

Maintaining harmony in your relationship while dealing with this situation involves open communication, mutual respect, and effective coping strategies. By acknowledging your feelings, balancing communication, setting boundaries, and developing coping mechanisms, you can navigate this challenging situation in a way that supports both your well-being and your relationship with your wife.

PS : i hope my ABCD makes sense to you

Anu, Request you to keep my identity anonymous.I am a 40 years old guy, happily married with two kids. I have a lot of friends and I have invariably introduced most of them to my wife.While with a previous organisation that I worked for, I met this girl (say M) and we became very good friends. M is 2½ years younger to me, is married and has kids. Much like with my other friends, I introduced M to my wife. M has also been home a couple of times during festive occasions.While so, during a family day event at office almost 5 years back, during an apparent conversation between M and me, we were engrossed in the conversation and my wife was standing right next to me. My wife thought that she was deliberately being snubbed/ignored and got offended with M's behaviour. Since then my wife developed some sort of a hatred towards M. Many a times I tried explaining to my wife that M's behaviour was not offensive and even if it was, was unintentional. It's been nearly six years since this happened, but that animosity still continues. The more I try to explain to her, the angrier she gets. We have had a lot of fights whenever this topic arises. I am scared to even pick M's calls when my wife is around. What this has done is that I started speaking to M discreetly. I had to delete all photos that I had with her. I constantly keep deleting all WhatsApp conversations and call logs that I have with her.I do not want to do all these secret things especially when I am not doing anything wrong. I want my wife to give M one more chance. My wife does not think I have a relationship with M. Her point is that I should not talk to someone who has insulted her (my wife). I think that it would not be fair for me to stop talking to M.My question is how do I instill sense into my wife? How do I convince her to give M one more chance? I don’t want to lose a good friend.

Dear K,

If your wife has felt snubbed and you feel that she is being unreasonable, what can you do if you wife isn’t willing to befriend M?

The more you fight this, the more your wife feels that there is something going on.

Doubts in the mind spread like slow fire consuming the mind and you are adding fuel to the fire by being adamant on maintaining the connection with M.

Now you wife is convinced that she must not have anything to do with her and you should not as well.

What do you want to do? Spoil the peace at home because of an external connection?

It may not seem fair to you, but there is a reason why your wife felt snubbed by M at that time.

She is unrelenting and does not want M in the equation. Why are you fighting this?

I am asking you choose between the peace within the marriage and an external connection.

There will be a point in time when your wife will be willing to look at this objectively and that is the time to talk to her about it.

Right now, it will be like forcing her, having fights over this and maintaining a connection with M within all of this/ Do you really feel that a connection is made suppressing another one?

Connections are made in complete peace and harmony with existing connections growing because of the new one.

What you have is the existing connection being threatened because of the other.

Be patient and reasonable and wait for the time to emerge for connections to co-exist and in the meantime, reassure your wife that your marriage means a lot to you.

May not sound fair, but it’s the only way to honour the marriage.

Hi, I m 54 year old married person, Last couple of years I am in contact with my 25 year old friend ( Age 50) Who had earlier severed relationship with us under the pressure from his wife. he is undergoing his divorce process now and hence he again reunited with us. Last 3-4 years my relationship with my wife ( Age 50) got sour due to one or the other reason and fault/negligence from my side. Meanwhile My friend and My wife are in close contact and they usually go for outing and he also come to our house regularly for chilling. I know this age is not for attraction/carrying out extra marital affair but last few months My wife always quote her name, make comparison between me and my friend how he takes care of her as compared to me etc etc. Also our small routine arguments gots heated when she utter a word "Separation/Divorce" etc etc. I feel very hurt when I am being threatened again n again for this. At this age I cant force my wife to cut down all relationship with that friend and also can't tell that friend to stop contacting my wife as they both are 50 year old matured person. I am just keeping calm 9 out of 10 incidences but that 1 incidence I am worried that everything will be ruined. We ( (Me n my wife) have struggled a lot to make our life stable and came out of deep financial crisis. Now at this stage I cant see or don't want to face this type of problems. Can u suggest any way out. Please.
Attraction happens at any age BUT to act on it is a CHOICE.
I do feel that if the other person has caught the fancy of your wife, you must say this out aloud. You may come across as being controlling or suspecting of your wife, but HEY, if you see them spending time together at outings, compare you and him, etc and lately you catch your wife using words like 'separation/divorce', it is only fair of you to feel the way that you are!
DO share with her how you feel and how you fear that this may destroy the marriage.
She may just say that you are being insecure, but the responsibility of bringing the security back is on her now. If she doesn't, then you know that she has begun to prioritize the other man over you and you need to strongly address it. DO voice this out and call out her behavior before it is too late. It will be a very emphatic attempt at saving your marriage.

Dating, Relationships Expert - Answered on Mar 04, 2024

Hello there Ravi, I am married with one teenager son. My hubby has a hi profile job. About a year ago, I became friends with a married man and we connected really well and it was a great friendship we had. About half a year ago that we decided to disconnect with each other mutually. It was just a very simple but amazingly thick friendship. And all the more reason to part ways. Even though so much time has passed, there are some memories that I cannot erase and I find that we still look out for each other too. He left a huge impact on me and even though am able to move on from him majorly, I still crash into him ( we don’t talk now) or his family and the memories of our friendship comes back to me. Earlier I used to shed a tear daily on losing him as a friend now I don’t though but since he’s always around I find it difficult to forget him fully.

I understand it's difficult to lose a friend. Friendships are important and it is not uncommon to have lingering feelings even if he was just a friend. It happens with most deep friendships. However, right now it is essential to prioritize your current relationships and commitments, including your marriage and family and most importantly, yourself.

I suggest you focus on the present and be grateful for the friendship you experienced. Remind yourself of the reason you decided to sever ties; it must have been important to be worth losing a great friend. Engage in self-care. Find new friends. Not all friendships will be thick but having friends is essential to live a healthy life.

Remember, it takes time to move on, even if it is from a friendship. Allow yourself that time. There is no need to rush through the process. If you find these feelings persisting, seeing a counselor can help you get through it in a more structured way. Nevertheless, you are doing great yourself!