Hi, Me and my wife both are of same age. We had an arranged marriage and are married for 8 years. We have two kids. She has ‘Borderline Personality Disorder’ and its very difficult to live with her. I am giving her meds without her knowledge since 8 years with which its just manageable and going along. But life has become very troubled. All my dreams and goals remain unfilled. Also if somehow one day meds are not given, it becomes like hell. because of this i am almost completely isolated from my parents and siblings. Talking to her is not a solution and getting expert advise from psychiatrist is also impossible as she wont go to psychiatrist or psychologist. She also has less insight. How to come out of this mess?

Has she been clinically diagnosed OR is this self-diagnosis based on which you are medicating her everyday...
If what you say is a validated fact, then YES, she needs some sort on intervention by an expert who will suggest subtle lifestyle changes to manage the emotional roller coaster ride. It will not just help your wife but also the family members who will be better equipped to handle any outbursts...
So, make the so-called impossible, possible as that will save a lot of pain at home. Baby steps on this one...

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Jan 04, 2022

I have been married for a little more than five years and I am living under tremendous stress and depression. We live in a joint family with my parents and an unmarried brother. I had told her all this before marriage. She loves me very much but her attitude towards my relatives has been a matter of concern right from the start. She does not want to keep a relationship with anybody apart from my immediate family. Slowly, she started having problems with my mother also; both have started having minor clashes at home. Many times, it is my mother’s mistake. The main problem is that she is very nagging and complains and gets irritated very frequently at the smallest instance. Frustrated, I planned on separating with her but the news came of her pregnancy and we were blessed with a baby girl. After the baby was born, my wife’s frustration and irritation has increased manifold because of her fear that my mother will give much more love to the baby then she can. So their clashes have increased. Now my wife has been putting a lot of pressure on me to look for a new house away from my parents, since she wants her own space. I already have a home loan on the existing home and a car loan. There is very less scope for me to purchase a new home and I don't want to leave my parents. She just doesn't understand my position and clashes happen between us. Looking at all this, I desperately want to separate from her but can't do so because of our daughter. I love her the most and can't live without her. So I just endure what is happening every day. This has resulted in me slipping into depression. It has affected my work in office as well. I am not performing well, I don't like to speak with any of my friends or relatives, I don't feel like doing anything. I’m living for the sake of my daughter, that's it. Even my parents are not in a position to understand me and my situation so I can't talk to them either. Can you help? Just don’t publish my name.

Hi

It is unfortunate that you are in this situation.

Your wife is possibly not very inclined to be in a joint family set-up; the reasons maybe many. But isn’t it necessary for you as a husband and a father to look out for your family?

The misunderstandings caused between the two of you over the years because of being in a joint family set-up have never been addressed and much water has flowed under the bridge.

There is a slim chance that matters might get resolved if you get your mother and wife in the same room and iron it out, with you being a neutral person who does not take sides; this is the best option.

If this isn’t possible, kindly visit a family counsellor who can step in and show your family a way to live amicably or give you a perspective on how healthy it might be to live separately.

At the end of the day, you have responsibilities towards your wife and child too!

All the best and a Happy 2022.

Dear Anu, I've been married to my wife for 10 years. In the last 2 years or so I find it difficult to understand her. Once every 2 or 3 months she goes into depression, and brings up old conversations between my mother and sister. It is not that they are perfect; however they have already moved on. She blames I didn't support, if the conversations happened in front of me then I can support but didn't happen. Also, my mother and sister they don't talk to me anything about those conversations. I love her and I have asked her to seek medical help but she doesn't want. I want to help and at the same time I need help.
Ans: Dear A, my first question to you is: how do you know that it is depression?

Has she been clinically diagnosed? Most often, I find people throwing this word around loosely without knowing what depression truly is.

For all you know, she may simply be low or upset over something that comes and goes frequently.

Assuming that this is case from what you have stated in your email, what is the reason that you feel she brings up these conversations from the past?

What triggers it? Is there a reference to your mother or sister in any current context?

Is anyone praising them currently and she doesn’t like it? Is she being compared to them in any manner?

Has she lost or given up anything in the past because of them that is impacting her now?

Do a reality check with her or if you know the answers to these, you will know what exactly is going on in your mind.

Questions like these can point you in a direction that will enable you to help her rather than see her as a problem.

She may not be willing to go to a professional for help as most of us think that it is NOTHING.

Stress and sadness are real and over a period of time, it can rob us of even the smallest of joys that we deserve.

It's easy to say: Forget the past; one cannot forget the past or what happened there BUT one can only change the way they feel about the past.

Replaying what happened means she is reliving the same experience over and over again and feels the reality of this even now which must be dulled and faded away.

Why does she hold onto this is because it perhaps gives her the solace of not doing anything about it now and it’s easy to play the blame game?

At times, we seek refuge under phrases like: My life is a living hell because of this or that. This could also be hiding away from opportunities and blaming the world for it.

What I am sharing here is based on what information that I have got from you.

I suggest start with the reality check questions first and see how it goes as this will give you vital information on what’s going on in her mind.

Most importantly, reiterate to her to be grateful for the things and people in her life right now.

Gratitude as an energy can liberate us from mundane occurrences and can keep us sane and calm.

Best wishes to you and your wife for a wonderful life.

Hi! I am married now for 4 years and have a 18 months old child. My wife is having Borderline Personality Disorder and often talks about ending the marriage but when she is normal, she credits me for such an understanding husband. She doesn't acknowledge that she has such disorder from before marriage. I am very disallusioned about what step to take more so because of my daughter. Shall I go for divorse? Please advice.
It's easy to walk out on a marriage but being in it and overcoming challenges together can grow the two of you in love and trust.
Whether she knows about her condition before marriage or not, in my opinion is not of concern as you need to focus on how as a family you can deal with the situation. What if you were in her place? Would you want her to leave you?
Any disorder (as experts call it) of the mind require a lot of support from the family members and having worked with clients on this, I can tell you involving the family makes it easier for the person struggling with it. It also strengthens their bond. The two of you have a child who needs both parents...
It may seems an uphill task to be in this situation but do remind yourself: Why did I marry this person in the first place?
This reason will be enough to carry you on and make a commitment to handle it together.
I do realize that one day she may say one thing and go back and say just the opposite the next day. It can be very disillusioning for you. My appeal is: go back to the person who diagnosed her. He/she will educate you on the coping strategies individually and the family as a whole. A good round of counselling will also help your wife take care of her mind state.

All the best and I am sure you can do this...

Relationships Expert - Answered on Jan 09, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Nov 16, 2023Hindi
My wife is extremely sensitive to even smallest of criticism either received directly or indirectly. She gets panic attacks and suffers from the situation for about 10 days. She is unable to leave any of the not so good/bad memories and thus keeps thinking of them all over time. She feels and talks hopeless and useless during this period, which also includes getting separated and ending her life. We have 2 childs of 14 and 9 years. She does not talks to anyone when her mood is off. I have been keeping extreme patience during all the time and always tried to console her and explain her that we also have good memories to remember. But seems she doesn't understands these things. We also consulted one psychiatrist, who gave her Ketamine treatment. She was fine for sometime only but after some time she said that she will not go to any doctor now, and let the situation prevail as it is until she is living. I am totally shattered and perplexed on this situation and could not focus on my job and any other thing in life. What to do, pl advise. I am not able to see her in this situation which is not so bad according to most of the people, but she is filled with so much of hate and negativity that she is not able to understand the things and value them.
Ans: She sounds clinically depressed and definitely needs help. If not a psychiatrist, she can at least start visiting a psychotherapist to help; she need not take medication if she doesn’t want to, but going without any help at all is dangerous.
You have your children to think of too…explain to her that she has to do this for their sake, if not hers. They deserve a well-adjusted, responsible mother and not someone who is too selfish to see to their needs.

Hi Ms. Anu, I need some different way of looking at the mess I am in. We are a very well educated couple married since past 16 years and very well settled (financially) abroad. We married after a courtship with blessings of both families and we do have a kid who is doing well atleast academically. The marriage has been a mess all these years starting within a couple of years after marriage. I do come from a very close knit middle class with a mentality/ upbringing to carryon whatever the odds are for wellbeing of kid also the spouse. My wife come from a pretty broken family where none of the family members are staying together or on routine talking terms. I do strongly feel that she has a borderline personality disorder which she refuses to atleast seek help available even to confirm or reject it. She has no good friends and her relations are very superficial with lot of white lies. Living with her is like walking on needles not knowing when she goes off. It has literally made me and my kid apprehensive every other minute dealing with her. She has given up her career in India and is a home maker here and I do respect that a lot but she is also very apprehensive to try out anything over here in spite of so many opportunities .I really don’t have any problem with it as we don’t have any financial need for it. She has best of everything we have/ earned over here, I never question her regarding even routine needs and try to work around her choices. We are like roommates living in a big house in separate rooms bringing up kid in best possible way. It sort or drains me out both mentally and physically and even affects my professional progress. Every attempt to discuss amicably ends with a fight. She has no social support to even fallback or ask for help. For me I don’t want to divorce her as I do know she won’t be able to survive alone over here or in India also I don’t want this to even put a small mental scar on my kid. I am trying out the best possible way I can but I do fear I might breakdown some day or the other leaving them in bad position. I dont have any affairs, I don’t even drink/ smoke/ gamble. I am just a simple person trying to live comfortably and bringing up the kid in best possible was as every other person.
A different way of looking at the mess would mean:
- appreciating that your way of a family set-up and your wife's are way different
- understanding that things may go awry, but there is no need to strive for perfection within the marriage
- knowing that your spouse is different from you and celebrating those differences without finding a meaning in it

Having said this, I do appreciate you wanting to make your marriage better, but sometimes we also need to understand that what is happening is possibly the best. As long as the child is in a safe space to grow and bloom, do not strain yourself much. You are not dealing with daily fights or threatening arguments, hence if this is peace, learn to make peace with it.
Sometimes, it may feel like the other person has an issue with the mind when they don't align to your way of thinking or expressing. There are people who yell to be heard, that does not make them an angry person...that is how they have learned to express themselves since childhood. It does not qualify as a mental illness...

Take some time out together to coordinate and appreciate each other at a different level acknowledging your differences; your wife will also have to do this and support the fact that you are concerned about the marriage and your relationship with her.

Taking care of your mental health is in your hands and start by 'viewing things differently as stated above' AND yes, your wife also will need to be in sync on this by supporting you as well. That you will might need to have an honest conversation with your wife and work on this together.

Reach me: https://www.facebook.com/anukrish07/ AND https://www.linkedin.com/in/anukrishna-joyofserving/

Age41 yrs , Currently been doing monthly SIP in below mutual funds: * Parag parikh elss tax saver fund : 2000 a month ( 1 year ) * Quant mid cap fund : 5000 a month (started newly ) I am self employed who earns minimum 50k a month I have term insurance and health insurance for my family . Would like to retire my age 55 , keeping inflation and children education and other expenses in my mind . How should I go ahead
Ans: You are 41 years old. You earn Rs. 50,000 a month. You have term insurance and health insurance for your family. You are investing in two SIPs: Parag Parikh ELSS Tax Saver Fund (Rs. 2,000/month) and Quant Mid Cap Fund (Rs. 5,000/month).

Retirement Goal
You plan to retire at 55. Consider inflation, children's education, and other expenses in your planning. Start by estimating your retirement corpus. This should cover living expenses, healthcare, and other needs.

Increase your SIP contributions gradually. This will help build a larger retirement corpus. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This balances risk and provides stable returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better potential returns. Fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform index funds, which only track the market.

Tax Saving and Growth
Continue investing in ELSS funds for tax benefits. They also provide good returns over the long term. Consider adding more equity funds for growth. Equity funds can beat inflation and provide higher returns.

Education Fund for Children
Start a separate education fund for your children. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This ensures their education expenses are covered.

Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least six months of expenses. This provides financial security in case of emergencies. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

Regular Fund Investments
Consider regular funds with the help of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Regular funds come with expert advice and monitoring. This ensures your investments stay aligned with your goals.

Review and Rebalance
Review your portfolio regularly. Rebalance it to maintain the desired asset allocation. This helps manage risk and improve returns.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance helps achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Increase your SIPs and diversify investments. Plan for children's education and maintain an emergency fund. Seek professional guidance for a comprehensive financial plan.

I am 30 years old working in Public sector bank my salary is monthly 60000 and I have shares worth 1100000 and mutual funds worth 200000 and I am investing monthly SIP 13000 Including equity, best and hybrid funds I have health and term insurance I would like to retire at 50 years with corpus of 3 crores how can I improve my investment strategy.
Ans: You are 30 years old, earning Rs 60,000 monthly. You have shares worth Rs 11 lakhs and mutual funds worth Rs 2 lakhs. You are investing Rs 13,000 monthly in SIPs. You also have health and term insurance.

Retirement Goal

You aim to retire at 50 with a corpus of Rs 3 crores. This goal is achievable with a well-planned strategy.

Investment Strategy Evaluation

Your current investments include equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This mix is good for diversification. However, to reach Rs 3 crores, you need to optimise and possibly increase your investments.

Direct funds require constant monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), can provide expert advice and better management. This ensures your investments are aligned with your goals.

Recommendations for Improvement

Increase SIP Contribution: Gradually increase your SIP amount as your salary grows.

Professional Management: Regular funds managed by a CFP can offer better returns and less hassle.

Diversify Portfolio: Include large-cap funds to balance the risk and return.

Regular Reviews: Monitor and adjust your portfolio regularly with the help of a CFP.

Your goal to retire with Rs 3 crores is realistic. You need to increase your SIPs, diversify your portfolio, and seek expert advice. Regular funds managed by a Certified Financial Planner can help you achieve your target with less stress.

Hello Experts, I am currently working in pvt sector and am 32 years old. My current in hand salary is 1.45lac per month. I am currently paying off my father's home loan of 38lacs, with current outstanding of 24lacs. I have bought a flat back in 2021, for which the loan is of 70lac for 30years.I have a loan insurance for this loan. The EMI for this has not been started yet. It will start once the builder will provide possession of the same. I am paying 15500 monthly rent and apart from that monthly expenses amounts to 30k a month. I am married and my wife is a homemaker and I have a baby girl 2months old. Could you please guide me.
Ans: You have a monthly salary of Rs. 1.45 lakhs. You are paying off your father's home loan with Rs. 24 lakhs outstanding. You bought a flat in 2021 with a Rs. 70 lakhs loan. Your EMI for this will start once you get possession. You pay Rs. 15,500 rent and have monthly expenses of Rs. 30,000. You are married with a homemaker wife and a 2-month-old daughter.

Focus on repaying your father’s home loan. Prioritize this to reduce financial burden. Use part of your monthly income for this. Once the EMI for your flat starts, your expenses will increase. Plan for this additional expense in advance.

Expense Management
You pay Rs. 15,500 in rent and Rs. 30,000 in other expenses. Ensure these expenses are well-managed. Create a monthly budget to track your spending. This will help you save more.

Build an emergency fund to cover at least 6 months of expenses. This will provide financial security. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

You have loan insurance for your flat. Ensure you also have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Investment Planning
Start a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) in mutual funds. SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly. This helps in disciplined investing and wealth creation.

Benefits of SIPs
SIPs help in rupee cost averaging. This reduces the impact of market volatility. They provide the benefit of compounding returns. SIPs are flexible, allowing you to increase or decrease your investment amount.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better returns than index funds. Professional fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform the market.

Regular Funds vs Direct Funds
Regular funds come with the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). CFPs provide personalized advice and regular monitoring. This ensures your investments remain aligned with your goals.

Child’s Education Planning
Start an education fund for your daughter. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This will ensure her future education expenses are covered.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance will help you achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Prioritize debt repayment. Build an emergency fund. Invest in SIPs for long-term growth. Secure your family’s future with proper insurance and planning.

Current Investment: Age: 23Monthly SIP: ?3,600 Portfolio: Small Cap, Mid Cap, and Index Funds Financial Goals: Goal 1: Accumulate ?1 crore in the next 3 years Goal 2: Accumulate ?5 crores in the next 10 years Goal 3: Accumulate ?25 crores by the age of 50 (in 27 years) Questions: how much should I be investing monthly in SIPs to achieve these goals?Could you suggest a diversified portfolio that balances growth and risk? What adjustments or additional strategies would you recommend to make these goals more achievable?Are there any specific mutual funds you would recommend for each goal?
Ans: You are 23 years old and investing Rs 3,600 per month in SIPs. Your portfolio includes small-cap, mid-cap, and index funds.

Financial Goals Assessment

Goal 1: Accumulate Rs 1 crore in 3 years.
Goal 2: Accumulate Rs 5 crores in 10 years.
Goal 3: Accumulate Rs 25 crores by age 50 (27 years).
Monthly Investment Requirement

To achieve these goals, the current SIP of Rs 3,600 per month is not enough. You will need to increase your SIP amount significantly. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) will provide precise guidance on the required SIP.

Portfolio Diversification

Your current portfolio is heavily inclined towards small-cap, mid-cap, and index funds. These funds can be volatile. Including large-cap and flexi-cap funds will balance growth and risk.

Index funds often track the market. They may not outperform it. Actively managed funds, managed by experts, can offer better returns and risk management.

Direct funds need continuous monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a CFP, can offer professional advice, better management, and less hassle.

Additional Strategies

Increase SIP Amount: Regularly review and increase your SIP as your income grows.

Seek Professional Guidance: A CFP can help you choose the right funds and strategies.

Diversify: Balance your portfolio with large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds to reduce risk.

Your ambitious financial goals require a substantial increase in your SIP contributions. Diversify your portfolio to include large-cap and flexi-cap funds. Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner for tailored strategies and better management.

Dear Sir, I am 44 years old. With a total family salary income of 2.2 Lakhs/Month after tax, and I get a yearly one time bonus of Rs. 1.5 Lakhs. Below is my financial position. 1. Combined Family PF Accumulation - 50 Lakhs 2. Own individual house with no Loan(i.e. 20 years housing loan closed in 4 Years) 3. A empty commercial plot in a busy area in a First grade municipal town worth 1.6 Crores 4. A empty commercial land of area 32000 Sq.ft. on a busy National Highways worth 2 Crores 5. Gold Jewels - 2.1 Kg 6. Some ancestral houses and 7 acres agricultural lands from which I get 20K Per month excluding our(mine + wife) salary. 7. LIC Endowment Policies from which I can get Rs. 10 Lakhs if I surrender pre-maturely now. No FD, Mutual Funds and Shares. Debt: 1. 900 grams of gold to my close relative which I borrowed at Rs. 5500/gram in 2023, also has to return only as gold. 2. 35 Lakhs cash at Bank FD rate of interest from my Mom. 3. Gold Pledged for Rs. 18 Lakhs at a nationalized bank 4. Personal loan of Rs. 10 Lakhs, EMI Rs. 27000/month(Approx). - 50 Months remaining. Two daughters studying 11th and 6th respectively. Please guide me to come out of my debt as early as possible.
Ans: Your income and assets are strong. You have Rs. 2.2 lakhs monthly income and a Rs. 1.5 lakh yearly bonus. Your PF accumulation is Rs. 50 lakhs. You own a house with no loan. Your commercial properties are worth Rs. 3.6 crores. Your gold jewels weigh 2.1 kg. Your ancestral property provides Rs. 20,000 monthly.

Debt Analysis
You have some debts. You owe 900 grams of gold to a relative. You have Rs. 35 lakhs debt to your mother at FD interest rates. You have pledged gold for Rs. 18 lakhs at a bank. You have a personal loan of Rs. 10 lakhs with a Rs. 27,000 monthly EMI.

Liquidity Management
Consider surrendering your LIC endowment policies. This can provide Rs. 10 lakhs immediately. Use this amount to reduce high-interest debts. Prioritize paying off the personal loan and pledged gold loan first.

Debt Repayment Strategy
Focus on repaying high-interest loans. Use your bonus and part of your monthly income for this. Repay your personal loan early. This will save on interest costs.

Gold Loan Repayment
Repay the gold loan at the bank. Use part of your income and savings. This will free up your pledged gold. Return the borrowed gold to your relative as soon as possible.

Family Debt Clearance
Repay your mother’s debt with a structured plan. Consider paying a fixed amount monthly. This will reduce your financial burden over time.

Future Investment Planning
Start investing in mutual funds. Use a SIP to invest regularly. This will help grow your wealth. Actively managed funds are better than index funds. They can provide higher returns.

Education Planning for Daughters
Set up an education fund for your daughters. Invest in equity and debt funds. This will ensure their future expenses are covered.

Insurance Review
Review your insurance needs. Ensure you have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Focus on debt repayment first. Invest regularly for future growth. Secure your family’s financial future with proper planning.

We are working couple (40 and 36 years) with total SIP 120000 per month (60000 each). Current MF portfolio is 25 Lacs. Investment target is December 2030 with corpus target of 2 Cr or more post taxation. Below is our SIP distribution. Will this achieve our target? Suggest any improvements if required. There is no scope for increasing SIP for next 2 years. Quant Flexi Cap Fund Direct Growth - 20000 Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund Direct Growth - 15000 JM Flexi Cap Fund Direct Growth - 15000 Motilal Oswal Mid Cap Fund Direct Growth - 20000 Quant Mid Cap Fund Direct Growth - 20000 Tata Small Cup Fund Direct Growth - 10000 Nippon India Small cap Fund Direct Growth - 10000 Quant Small Cap Fund Direct Growth - 10000
Ans: You have a well-diversified SIP portfolio with an allocation across flexi-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Your monthly SIP contribution is Rs 1,20,000, and your target is to achieve a corpus of Rs 2 crore or more by December 2030.

Fund Allocation Evaluation

Your current allocation focuses heavily on flexi-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. While these funds can offer good returns, they come with higher risk. Diversifying into other categories might reduce risk.

Regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can offer professional management and advice.

Direct funds require extensive research and monitoring. Regular funds provide the benefit of expert guidance, potentially better returns, and less hassle. Certified Financial Planners can help optimize your investments and ensure your portfolio aligns with your goals.

Flexi-Cap Funds Assessment

Flexi-cap funds provide flexibility to invest across market capitalizations. However, actively managed funds might outperform due to professional management.

Mid-Cap and Small-Cap Funds Evaluation

Mid-cap and small-cap funds have high growth potential but come with higher volatility. Balancing these with large-cap funds could provide stability to your portfolio.

Recommendations for Improvement

Consider adding large-cap funds to balance your portfolio. Regular funds managed by a CFP can provide expert guidance. This can help in achieving your target with a balanced risk approach.

Your current SIP allocation is strong but could benefit from expert management and diversification. Regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner can offer better guidance and potentially higher returns. Achieving your goal by December 2030 is feasible with balanced diversification and professional management.