Niranjan Question by Niranjan on Jun 12, 2023Hindi

How to overcome fear in life

Ans: Overcoming fear is a personal and gradual process, but here are some strategies that can help:

Identify and acknowledge your fears: The first step in overcoming fear is to identify what you're afraid of and acknowledge its presence in your life. Take the time to reflect on the specific fears that hold you back and recognize that they are valid emotions.

Understand the root cause: Try to understand the underlying reasons behind your fears. Sometimes fears stem from past experiences, trauma, or limiting beliefs. By gaining insight into the root causes, you can begin to address them more effectively.

Educate yourself: Knowledge is power. Often, fear arises from a lack of understanding or unfamiliarity. Educate yourself about the things you fear. Whether it's a specific phobia or a fear of the unknown, gathering information and learning more about the subject can help dispel irrational fears.

Take small steps: Overcoming fear doesn't mean completely eliminating it overnight. Start by taking small steps towards facing your fears. Break down the fear-inducing situations into smaller, more manageable tasks. Gradually exposing yourself to these situations can help build confidence and reduce fear over time.

Practice relaxation techniques: Fear can trigger physical and emotional responses, such as increased heart rate, sweating, or anxiety. Practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, or mindfulness, can help you manage these symptoms and calm your mind.

Seek support: Don't hesitate to reach out for support. Share your fears with a trusted friend, family member, or therapist who can provide encouragement, guidance, and a fresh perspective. Connecting with others who have faced similar fears can also be beneficial.

Challenge negative thoughts: Fear often accompanies negative thoughts and self-doubt. Challenge these thoughts by examining their validity and replacing them with more positive and empowering ones. Affirmations and positive self-talk can help reframe your mindset and reduce fear.

Embrace failure as a learning opportunity: Fear of failure can hold you back from taking risks or pursuing your goals. Remember that failure is a natural part of life and often leads to growth and learning. Embrace failure as an opportunity to learn, adjust, and try again.

Celebrate your successes: Acknowledge and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small they may seem. Each step you take in facing your fears and overcoming obstacles is progress worth recognizing. Celebrating your successes can boost your confidence and motivate you to continue moving forward.

Remember, overcoming fear takes time and patience. Be kind to yourself throughout the process, and don't hesitate to seek professional help if your fears are significantly impacting your daily life and well-being.

Hi Anu, I'm 39 years old. Ever since my childhood, I was always afraid of facing people. Was reading in front of class or reciting a poem, I always felt running away and avoiding it. The problem further worsened as I grew up, as I started feeling difficult making friends. I get a feeling that people don't like me, and it’s evident whenever I'm part of a gathering usually peopleignore me. Hence I tend to avoid interacting with people. I don't know how to handle this situation. I don't have this issue while interacting with people whom I know, and am pretty confident with familiar people whom I interact with on day to day basis. In front of people, or when I put on a spot I really feel awkward and anxious. The thought keeps on bothering me and I don't get sleep at times. Please provide me suggestions/inputs on how I can get rid of this problem.
Ans: Dear S, You face what is called performance related stress as you are worried about failure and being embarrassed in front of a crowd.

Firstly, know why you are having to be in front of a crowd; office presentations, meetings and thinks like that. If it is necessary for your job and in life in general, let’s work at this.

Start watching videos of people who are orators, great speakers and who enthrall others on stage

Next, observe every movement of theirs and how they walk, talk, their voice etc.

Then, simply take on the same role imagining yourself to be them and do the same. Live this role. Try doing this many times over till it becomes second nature to you.

Finally, imagine a situation where you want to feel confident. And imagine doing your new learning from Step 3 and living it. Do this a couple of times till you think you are ready.

The next time, with the same situation, things should definitely go your way and you will be in charge for sure.

Be confident and happy new learning!

Anu Krishna is a Mind Coach, NLP Trainer, Zen Lifestyle Expert and has recently released her book The Secret of Life – Decoding Happiness.
She is also the Founder of Soulful Exploration LLP and Unfear Changemakers LLP.

I am 32 years suffering from Anxiety problems from many months, so I need suggestions on how can I overcome
Ans: While I can't offer specific medical advice, I can share some general suggestions that may help you manage your anxiety. It's important to remember that these are just starting points, and seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor is crucial for addressing anxiety effectively.

Understanding Your Anxiety:

Identifying triggers: What situations or thoughts typically trigger your anxiety? Recognizing these triggers can help you anticipate them and prepare coping mechanisms.
Exploring the root cause: Talking to a therapist can help you explore potential underlying factors contributing to your anxiety, such as past experiences or unhealthy thought patterns.
Self-Management Techniques:

Relaxation techniques: Practices like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation can help calm your mind and body during anxious moments.
Mindfulness: Mindfulness exercises that focus on present-moment awareness can help you manage racing thoughts and worries.
Journaling: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can provide a healthy outlet for emotional processing and identify patterns in your anxiety.
Healthy lifestyle: Engaging in regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and eating a balanced diet can significantly improve your mood and overall well-being.
Seeking Support:

Therapy: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a highly effective treatment for anxiety disorders. A therapist can guide you through CBT techniques to challenge negative thought patterns and develop coping skills.
Support groups: Connecting with others who understand what you're going through can offer valuable support and encouragement.

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 31, 2023Hindi
I,AGE 46 YEARS,HAS BEEN SLEEPING WITH HORROR NIGHTMATRES FOR LAST 24 YEARS.DURING MINE CHILDHOOD,I WAS SEXTUALLY MOLESTED AND BEATEN BY MY NEIGHBOURS WHICH RESULTED IN FEAR ATTITUDE OF MINE.I WAS VERY KEEN IN SPORTS AND PAINTING BUT I FORCEFULLY LEFT IT AS I WAS NOT MIXING WITH FRIENDS TO PLAY GAMES.I WAS VERY MUCH INTERESTED TO JOIN ARMY AS MY CARREER BUT I COULDN'T MAKE IT.AFTER THAT I JOIN MINE FAMILY BUSINESS BUT FROM THAT VERY PERIOD OF 1999,I AM IN ACUTE DEPRESSION.AFTER MARRIAGE THE SITUATION WORSEN FURTHUR SINCE MINE WIFE IS ALSO SUFFERING FROM SOME KIND OF DEPRESSION.I AM TRYING MYSELF TO GET OUT OF MINE HORROR DREAMS LIKE TAKING BATH BEFORE SLEEP,TULSI TEA ETC. BUT OF NO RESULT.HOW TO OVERCOME MINE HORROR DREAMS AND FEAR.ALSO I WANT TO KNOW,IS THERE ANY LIFE SKILL COURSE WHICH I CAN JOIN TO BOOST MY CONFIDENCE.I EXERCISE AND DO MEDITATION FOR LAST 3 YEARS BUT NO RESULT IS COMING.
I truly empathize with what you have been through and it's not easy to brush it away.
The best suggestion that I can give you is to seek the help of a professional right away.
Childhood traumas are known to cause a lot of emotional challenges in adulthood as well. Why struggle with it? It will affect every area of your life which is painful. It will also keep you stuck not allowing you to move ahead...
You must work on the unresolved emotion from the unpleasant incident and this will be possible by working with a professional. He/she will help you go back to where it all started and it maybe daunting at first, but the liberation that you will feel with deep-dive sessions is priceless.

So, now you know what you must do! Do not wait...