Mohit

Mohit Arora  |65 Answers  |Ask -

Dating Coach - Answered on May 24, 2024

Hi.. I want to ask if as a 40 year old woman is it ok to be with someone 8 years younger if both of us are into it. Just that I am feeling as if it’s a taboo and I will be excluded from the society for doing so ... pls advise

Ans: Its totally perfect. Be selfish. Society doesn't care for your happiness

Hi Anu,Myself Praveen. I appreciate your writings on Rediff. First of all thanks for that.I would like to ask guidance or your thoughts on establishing a relationship with my lady friend. I met her 4 years back in my old office and we got in company soon and started talking and somewhat share most of the personal s***s too. I started having feelings for her. I mean I wish to have a marital relationship with her because I am very comfortable with her. But I was unable to make any move or feared of losing her company if I tell her my love.That time I never knew her age. Later I moved from that job to pursue some personal goals so I moved to some other place without the knowledge of my own family. The only person who knew about it was her. She stood with me and emotionally supported me and was knowing that it was my strong wish of having that dream/goal. We were in touch as nice friends. Her phone calls were happy moments for me because I was alone at my new place where I'd gone to pursue my dream. Someday she called me and during call she was upset. That day she shared some of her personal things and during the conversation I realised that she is 8 years older than me and she is at her mid 30s. Firstly, it was like a shock for me. I wondered why a beautiful girl like she not got into a marriage or any other serious relationship still that age. Okay, that doesn't matter me. However, knowing about most of the complexity in this partnership including support from both family or cliche society thoughts; I decided to have her as my life partner. But still I am not able to make a move like that. Somehow, I had to come back to my homeplace and sorry to say that I failed to pursue my goal which was bit depressing. Still I couldn't make a move to talk her about this. I am getting an odd feeling that she treats me as a brother or a nice friend only. I am confused when she calls me bro. Some days ago she told me that I am her good brother. Frankly I don't like her calling me bro. I still love her and I always see her as my life partner.The thing is I fear that I may lose her company if I express my love for her. Also I fear that she may emotionally get low if she really considering me as her brother. I don't want to give her any pain, but meanwhile I couldn't miss her in my life. Nowadays, we rarely talk on phone or meet because some of her professional engagements. That is not a problem for me. I respect her as well as her personal space. Only thing I want is to communicate her about my mind and having a relationship with her. I know she might also be concerned about our age gap as well as what society may say, but I don't care such rubbish. I strongly believe that I can be a great partner. Share your thoughts on making an approach without giving her any emotional pain or trauma.

Dear PB,

Thank you for your kind words on my writings and columns. Highly appreciate it.

I cannot assure you of the fact of her not having any emotional reactions. Her reactions are not something that you can control.

The easiest way to resolve this confusion that you are going through is to simply express it. It’s similar to how children are.

Have you seen them say things without a filter and unfazed by how the other person will react?

Then along came the adults and asked them to keep quiet and then the child in us grew up to become a recluse and ignore our own feelings.

I agree there is an etiquette and social norms to be followed as adults but to not be able to express our feelings is nothing but conditioning from our childhood.

And what did it teach us? It taught us to avoid the rejection and ensuing disappointment.

That’s exactly what you are running away from; all the rejection that may happen and the disappointment from that.

But what use is that love if you can’t express it for fear of rejection. If you feel so strongly about it, approach it boldly and very gently.

Yes, it may shock her and it’s possible she has no feelings or sees you as a brother, but at least you know where the connection stands.

Now whether she is going to be hurt or not is a question of how emotionally mature she is.

So, before you start the conversation, do request her to hear you fully and not judge you for your honesty. This may ease her shock and help her respond rather than react to you.

On your part, keep your expectations to a low and smile through the situation. It helps lighten the load that you might be carrying.

Hi, I am 23 years old earning a salary of 108k per month after all deductions. I am doing SIP of 21k per month in these following funds:- 1. Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund:- 3500 2. Quant Flexi Cap Fund:- 3500 3. Nippon India Large Cap Fund :- 3000 4. Motilal Oswal Mid Cap Fund:- 3500 5. Bandhan Small Cap Fund:- 2500 6. Axis Small Cap Fund:- 2000. 7. Motilal Oswal Nifty India Defence Index Fund:- 3000 Other than these combined contribution towards EPF (employee+employer) = 12800 per month. Please give a review of my portfolio. My investment horizon is for long terms. I will step up my investment depending on my salary increment
Ans: Your portfolio is well-diversified with a mix of flexi cap, large cap, mid cap, and small cap funds. This strategy spreads your risk across different market segments.

Flexi Cap Funds
Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund and Quant Flexi Cap Fund: These funds are flexible and invest across various market caps. They provide good diversification and stability.
Large Cap Funds
Nippon India Large Cap Fund: Large cap funds are stable and provide steady returns. They are less volatile compared to mid and small cap funds.
Mid Cap Funds
Motilal Oswal Mid Cap Fund: Mid cap funds offer higher growth potential. They are riskier than large cap funds but can provide better returns over the long term.
Small Cap Funds
Bandhan Small Cap Fund and Axis Small Cap Fund: Small cap funds have high growth potential. They are volatile and should be monitored closely.
Sector Funds
Motilal Oswal Nifty India Defence Index Fund: Sector funds focus on specific industries. They are riskier and should be a smaller part of your portfolio. Consider replacing with an actively managed fund for better returns.
EPF Contribution
EPF Contribution: Your EPF contribution is a good foundation for your retirement savings. It provides stability and tax benefits.
Investment Horizon
Your long-term investment horizon is ideal for your portfolio. It allows you to ride out market volatility and benefit from compounding returns.

Step-up SIP
Step-up SIP: Increasing your SIP amount with salary increments is a smart strategy. It will help you achieve your financial goals faster.
Your portfolio is well-structured for long-term growth. Consider replacing the index fund with an actively managed fund. Regularly review your investments to ensure they align with your goals.

I am 37 years , married with 2 years old child, planning for retirement, education and marriage of child.. i have 12 l in FD, 21 l in lumpsum mutual fund, SIP for a year totalling 17000 per month, total assets worth 3 crores.. health insurance worth 1 crore. 3 term plans being paid for and active.. and i make 1.5 lakhs give or take a month.. .. i have started contributing to ssy account and have a education policy in aditya birla too worth around 8 lakhs at the time of maturity .. i have one pension fund being paid for 58000 per year for 15 years, already paid for 10 years... I need a corpus of 5 to 7crores within next 25 years.. am i doing enough? I have no loans or liabilities
Ans: You're on a solid path with your financial planning. Let's assess and refine your strategy to achieve your goals.

Review Current Investments

Your FD of Rs 12 lakhs and lump sum mutual funds of Rs 21 lakhs are good. Your SIP of Rs 17,000 per month shows discipline.

Consider Increasing SIP Amounts

Increasing your SIP amounts gradually can help you reach your corpus goal faster. This can leverage the power of compounding.

Allocate Funds for Retirement

Your goal of 5 to 7 crores in 25 years is achievable. Continue investing in diversified equity mutual funds for long-term growth.

Child's Education and Marriage

Your SSY contributions are a smart move. Consider child-specific mutual funds for additional growth.

Evaluate Your Pension Fund

Your pension fund contribution of Rs 58,000 per year is good. Ensure it aligns with your retirement goals.

Health and Term Insurance

Your health insurance worth Rs 1 crore and three term plans provide good coverage. Maintain these for family security.

Regularly Review and Adjust

Review your portfolio annually. Adjust based on market conditions and personal financial changes.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner

A CFP can help optimize your investment strategy. They can provide tailored advice for reaching your financial goals.

Stay Focused and Disciplined

Consistent investing and disciplined saving are key. Stay focused on your long-term goals.

Hello sir - I am 49 and want to retire by 52. I have a MF corpus of about 1.7 crore and PF amount of about 1 crore. I have one loan that I will close by this year end. Can you advise how can I plan to get about 2 lakhs per month post retirement.
Ans: Your goal of retiring at 52 is commendable. Let's plan how you can achieve a monthly income of Rs 2 lakhs post-retirement.

Review Your Current Investments

Your MF corpus of Rs 1.7 crore and PF amount of Rs 1 crore are substantial. Closing your loan by year-end is also a positive step.

Set Up a Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP)

Consider setting up an SWP from your mutual funds. This provides a regular income while keeping your capital invested.

Diversify Your Investments

Balance your portfolio with a mix of equity and debt. This reduces risk and ensures steady returns.

Invest in Balanced Advantage Funds

These funds adjust between equity and debt based on market conditions. They offer growth and stability.

Explore Monthly Income Plans

Monthly income plans (MIPs) focus on generating regular income. They invest in debt and equity, aiming for consistent returns.

Consider Debt Funds

Investing in debt funds can provide stable returns. They are less volatile compared to equity funds.

Plan for Inflation

Ensure your investments grow enough to combat inflation. This will help maintain your purchasing power.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner

A CFP can provide a tailored retirement plan. They can help you allocate your investments effectively.

Regularly Review Your Plan

Monitor your investments and make adjustments if needed. Stay flexible to changes in market conditions.

Dear Sir, could you guide me good Infrastructure fund which has invested in PORT,ROAD building,gati infrastructe ETC
Ans: Investing in infrastructure funds can be a good option for long-term growth. These funds focus on sectors like ports, road building, and transportation infrastructure.

Benefits of Infrastructure Funds
Growth Potential: Infrastructure is a growing sector with high growth potential.
Diversification: Investing in different sub-sectors like ports, roads, and logistics.
Economic Development: These funds benefit from economic development and government policies.
Actively Managed Funds vs Index Funds
Active Management: Actively managed funds have professionals making investment decisions.
Market Trends: Managers can respond to market trends and economic changes.
Research: They conduct in-depth research to select the best-performing assets.
Passive Strategy: Index funds follow a passive strategy, limiting their flexibility.
No Active Decisions: They do not make decisions based on market conditions.
Less Adaptable: They might not adapt quickly to economic changes.
Direct Funds vs Regular Funds
Direct Funds: These have lower expenses but require investor expertise.
Regular Funds: Managed by professionals, offering better guidance and advice.
Certified Financial Planner: Investing through a Certified Financial Planner ensures better decision-making and financial advice.
Portfolio Allocation: Balance your portfolio with a mix of equity and debt funds.
Regular Monitoring: Regularly review and adjust your investments based on performance.
Long-term Perspective: Infrastructure investments should be viewed with a long-term perspective for growth.
Investing in infrastructure funds can provide substantial growth if chosen wisely. Actively managed funds offer better opportunities due to professional management and market adaptability. Ensure a balanced and diversified portfolio for optimal returns.