Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 06, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
Rajeev Question by Rajeev on Apr 05, 2023Translate

Sir I am in a temperory govt job and recieving a salary around 75k per month..since 5 months i didn't recieve salary due to some technical problem and now they are planning to pay me whole amount in financial year 2024..due to this my slab will change from 20%to 30% and i need to pay more tax without any salary hike..can you suggest some solution for that..

Ans: Hi Rajeev
Salary is taxable on receipt or due basis, whichever is earlier. Hence technically you are liable to be taxed for the salary in the year it was due to be received regardless of the fact that it was not actually paid to you.

In case you do not have any other source of income, this 5 months salary would not attract any tax under either of the tax regimes so you could go ahead disclose this income in the current year and not in 2024

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 07, 2023

Dear Mr. Parikh, Are there any tax saving options available, considering I am on new tax regime. Also, I don't have any home/auto/etc. loan, and stay in my own apartment. Regards, Praveen
Ans: Dear Praveen,

Thank you for your question. I understand that you're looking for tax-saving options under the new tax regime. While the new tax regime does limit some of the deductions available under the old regime, there are still a few options you can consider.

Standard Deduction: A fixed amount of Rs. 50,000 is allowed as a deduction from the total income of salaried individuals. Please note that if you claim this standard deduction, you cannot claim any other deduction for the same amount under any other section of the Income Tax Act.
Employer's Contribution to NPS: If your employer contributes to your National Pension Scheme (NPS) account, this contribution can be claimed as a deduction.
Transport Allowances for Persons with Disabilities: If you have a disability, you may be eligible for deductions related to transport allowances.
Gratuity: If you receive a gratuity from your employer, it may be exempt from tax under Section 10(10).
Leave Encashment: If you receive any amount in lieu of leave not taken, it may be exempt from tax under Section 10(10AA).
Please remember that tax planning should be a part of your overall financial planning. It's important to choose the options that best suit your financial goals and circumstances. If you need more detailed advice, I would recommend consulting with a tax advisor who can provide guidance based on your specific situation.

I hope this helps!

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations