Insurance Expert - Answered on Jul 28, 2022
In this regard I have a few questions...
1. What's the meaning of 5 lakh coverage? Will I get a full 4.95 lakh for both knees transplant (my hospital package is costing 4.95 lakh from entry to exit)?Sanjib Jha: A coverage of 5 Lakh means your policy covers you up to 5 lakh and you can claim it. However, the coverage amount for knee transplant depends on insurer to insurer as few of the policies having certain capping on the coverage amount for such treatments.
2. When the hospital sent the proposal to TPA, only 2.47 lakh were provisional sanction. What's the meaning of provisional? I was told that the final amount will be settled once final bill is produced by the hospital. Does it mean that 4.9-2.47=2.43 lakh or so, will be settled and remitted to the hospital by Oriental insurance?Provisional Sanction amount is the amount that the insurer approves based on the ailment i.e., knee transplant in your case. The rest of the amount approval is provided based on the final bill generated by the hospital.
3. When I sought clarification from TPA, I was verbally told that now the final amount cannot be decided. Only after the final bill it can be. Nothing said on email. No replies from Oriental insurance of my email query.For policies issued by Oriental, the claims are handled by TPA (Third Party Administrator). I advise you to raise the concerns to TPA via email or via TPA desk to get the clarification. Also, the insurer can provide the final approval after the final bill is generated by the insurer, deducting the non-approved cost as per policy terms & condition.
4. Hospital insists that I deposit 50% (2.5 lakh) cash from pocket before admission.As it seems that the insurer has provided pre-approval for 2.47 lakh, the rest amount you will have pay to the hospital & the same will get approved by the insurer once the final bill is generated by the hospital.
5. If I have to pay cash, then where is the cashless scheme?I advise you to check the terms of your policy. Often certain treatments are not covered in particular policies, which is why it is extremely important to read your policy document thoroughly and ask all your queries to the agent/Insurer before purchase. For specific ailments, there are add-ons offered by insurers and accordingly one should opt for those add-ons.
You may like to see similar questions and answers below
When choosing cashless treatment, the patients often opt for the best facilities that they may not have opted for otherwise. Sometimes hospitals may run some additional tests as well in order to avoid back and forth on your claim settlements, when it is a direct transaction between insurer and the hospital.
However, if you feel that you are being overcharged, then you should report any discrepancy in what you are being charged for, to the insurer. Insurance companies take such cases very seriously, which is why insurers have preferred network hospitals that agree on a certain pricing for various treatments and other tariffs.
In case it is observed that there is any abuse of cost or sum insured then there is a chance of being de-paneled and hence a check is in place.
Since you have mentioned about your family, you can opt for Family Health Insurance policies with an appropriate sum insured to cover your entire family. Like I have mentioned before, premiums are unique to individuals depending on their preferences, the sum insured they deem suitable, the riders they choose, their medical history etc.
What you can do to ensure you buy the correct policy for yourself is to evaluate policies carefully, keeping in mind the 5 important parameters.: