Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 28, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Yam Question by Yam on Apr 27, 2023Hindi

Dear Mihir Sir, Good after noon. I have a question for LTCG. Sir I acquired a residential plot in March 2018 for Rs. 20,00,000 and spent immediately Rs. 3,50,000 on foundation and boundary fencing. The property was held for almost 4.5 years and I sold it in December 2022 for Rs. 30,00,000. I spent the whole amount in constructing a new house. I had only one house property where I spent the whole amount. Am I liable to pay any LTCG for AY 2023-24? If yes, please tell how much am I liable to pay? Thanks.

Ans: If the construction is completed within 3 years of transfer of residential plot, you are not liable to pay tax on LTCG on transfer of plot.

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1651 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2024

hi sir : my son doing job since two year monthly earning is 60 K. but his saving is nil. pl. advice where to invest
Ans: It's great that your son has started earning, and it's essential to guide him on saving and investing for the future. Here's a step-by-step investment plan tailored for him:

Emergency Fund: Start by building an emergency fund equivalent to 3-6 months of expenses. This fund should be easily accessible, like a savings account or a liquid fund.
Debt Repayment: If he has any high-interest debts like credit card bills or personal loans, it's wise to clear those first to avoid paying hefty interest.
Investment Options:
Equity Mutual Funds: For long-term wealth creation, he can start SIPs in diversified equity funds. A mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds can provide growth.
PPF (Public Provident Fund): A tax-efficient and safe option for long-term savings with a lock-in period of 15 years.
NPS (National Pension System): A retirement-focused investment with tax benefits, offering a mix of equity, corporate bonds, and government securities.
Term Insurance: Since he's working, consider getting a term insurance plan to ensure financial security for his dependents.
Health Insurance: A comprehensive health insurance plan to cover medical emergencies can provide financial security and tax benefits.
Budgeting and Savings: Encourage him to create a monthly budget to track expenses and identify areas to save. Automating investments through SIPs can also help in disciplined saving.
Financial Education: Educate him about the importance of financial planning, saving, and investing. Encourage him to read books or attend workshops on personal finance.
Starting early with disciplined saving and investing can help him build a substantial corpus over time. Encourage him to consult a financial advisor for personalized guidance tailored to his financial goals and risk tolerance.