Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |325 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Mar 10, 2023

Komal Jethmalani is a practising dietician and nutritionist with over 26 years of experience.
She specialises in weight loss and diabetes management.
Jethmalani has completed her MSc in food and nutrition from SNDT University and trained at Jaslok Hospital.
Srinivasa Question by Srinivasa on Mar 08, 2023Hindi

Hi Anil, I am a 43 old, Diabetic since last 7 years... Compared with my family, I am pretty thin. Being a vegetarian, I regular in-take is always Vegetables and Daal along with rice as a normal diet. Can you please suggest me ways to increase my weight ?

Ans: Being a diabetic, make sure your blood glucose levels are monitored regularly and remain within normal levels. You need to increase muscle mass to gain weight. For this, include protein rich foods in your diet like low fat dairy, egg whites, fish, soya, nuts etc. Complex carbohydrate intake majorly from high fiber fruits and vegetables along with whole grains and pulses will help maintaining normal blood glucose levels. Exercise regularly which includes cardio and strength training exercises.

I have recently joined my job and I want to invest in mutual fund through SIP. I am earning 50k per month. So please suggest which SIP I should start.
Ans: Investing in mutual funds through Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) is a smart move. SIPs offer a disciplined approach to investing. With SIPs, you invest a fixed amount every month. This helps in building wealth over time. Let's explore how you can start your SIP journey.

Assessing Your Financial Goals
First, understand your financial goals. Are you saving for a home, children's education, or retirement? Identifying your goals will help in selecting the right mutual funds.

You earn Rs 50,000 per month. Decide how much you can invest in SIPs. A good starting point could be 20% of your salary. This means you can invest Rs 10,000 per month.

Evaluating Risk Tolerance
Assess your risk tolerance. Are you comfortable with market fluctuations? Or do you prefer stability? Your risk appetite will determine the type of mutual funds you choose. For example:

High risk tolerance: Equity mutual funds are suitable. They offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Medium risk tolerance: Balanced funds are a good option. They invest in both equities and debt, providing a balanced risk-return ratio.

Low risk tolerance: Debt funds are ideal. They offer stability and lower returns.

Types of Mutual Funds for SIP
Let's delve into the types of mutual funds suitable for SIPs:

These funds invest in stocks. They have the potential for high returns. They are suitable for long-term goals. There are various sub-categories:

Large-Cap Funds: Invest in large companies. They are less risky than mid or small-cap funds.

Mid-Cap Funds: Invest in mid-sized companies. They offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Small-Cap Funds: Invest in small companies. They are the most volatile but can offer the highest returns.

Balanced Funds
Balanced funds invest in both equities and debt. They provide a balance of risk and return. They are suitable for medium-term goals. They offer stability with decent returns.

Debt Funds
Debt funds invest in fixed-income securities like bonds. They are less risky and provide stable returns. They are suitable for short-term goals and for those with low-risk tolerance.

Hybrid Funds
Hybrid funds are a mix of equity and debt. They provide diversification. They are suitable for investors who want to balance risk and return.

Choosing the Right Fund
Selecting the right fund is crucial. Here are some factors to consider:

Fund Performance
Look at the fund's past performance. It should have a consistent track record. Check its performance over different time frames – 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years.

Fund Manager
The fund manager's expertise is vital. A good fund manager can make a significant difference. Check the fund manager's experience and track record.

Expense Ratio
The expense ratio is the fee charged by the fund. Lower expense ratios are better as they eat less into your returns.

Investment Horizon
Align your investment horizon with the fund type. For long-term goals, equity funds are suitable. For short-term goals, debt funds are better.

Benefits of SIP
Rupee Cost Averaging
SIPs help in rupee cost averaging. You buy more units when prices are low and fewer units when prices are high. This reduces the average cost per unit.

Disciplined Investing
SIPs promote disciplined investing. Investing a fixed amount every month builds a habit. It ensures that you save regularly.

Power of Compounding
SIPs harness the power of compounding. The longer you stay invested, the higher your returns. Starting early is key.

Convenience
SIPs are convenient. They are automated, requiring minimal effort. You can start SIPs online with ease.

Assessing Fund Suitability
Evaluate the suitability of a fund for your needs. Consider the following aspects:

Consistency in Returns
A good fund should provide consistent returns. It should outperform its benchmark. Check the fund's performance during market ups and downs.

Risk-Adjusted Returns
Look at risk-adjusted returns. This measures the return per unit of risk taken. Funds with higher risk-adjusted returns are preferable.

Portfolio Diversification
A well-diversified portfolio is less risky. Check the fund's portfolio for diversification across sectors and stocks.

Understand the fund's investment strategy. It should align with your goals and risk tolerance.

Steps to Start SIP
Starting a SIP is straightforward. Follow these steps:

KYC Compliance
Complete your KYC (Know Your Customer) process. It is mandatory for investing in mutual funds. You can do it online.

Choose the Fund
Select the mutual fund based on your goals and risk tolerance. Use online tools to compare funds.

Decide SIP Amount
Decide the amount you want to invest monthly. Ensure it fits your budget.

Set Up SIP
Set up the SIP online. You can link it to your bank account. The amount will be automatically debited each month.

Monitoring and Reviewing SIP
Regularly monitor your SIP investments. Review the fund's performance periodically. Make adjustments if necessary.

Review Investment Goals
Your financial goals may change over time. Review and adjust your SIPs accordingly.

Monitor Fund Performance
Keep an eye on the fund's performance. If a fund consistently underperforms, consider switching.

Rebalance Portfolio
Rebalance your portfolio periodically. Ensure it aligns with your risk tolerance and goals.

Common Mistakes to Avoid
Avoid these common mistakes when investing in SIPs:

Not Having Clear Goals
Set clear financial goals. This helps in selecting the right funds.

Stopping SIPs During Market Downturns
Don't stop SIPs during market downturns. Continue investing to benefit from rupee cost averaging.

Investing Without Research
Research before investing. Don't invest based on tips or trends.

Ignoring Expense Ratios
Consider expense ratios. High expense ratios can eat into your returns.

Actively managed funds are managed by professional fund managers. They aim to outperform the market. Let's explore their advantages:

Expertise of Fund Managers
Fund managers use their expertise to select stocks. They aim to maximize returns.

Potential for Higher Returns
Actively managed funds have the potential for higher returns. They can adapt to market changes.

Flexibility in Investment
Fund managers can change the portfolio based on market conditions. This flexibility can be advantageous.

Fund managers actively manage risk. They can take defensive positions in volatile markets.

Index funds passively track a market index. Let's discuss their disadvantages:

Limited Flexibility
Index funds have limited flexibility. They can't adapt to market changes.

Average Returns
Index funds aim to match the market. They provide average returns, not higher.

No Risk Management
Index funds don't actively manage risk. They mirror the market's performance.

Regular funds are purchased through a Certified Financial Planner. They offer several benefits:

Expert Advice
You get expert advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They help in selecting the right funds.

Regular Monitoring
Your investments are regularly monitored. Adjustments are made based on performance.

Holistic Financial Planning
A Certified Financial Planner offers holistic financial planning. They consider your overall financial health.

Peace of Mind
Investing through a Certified Financial Planner provides peace of mind. You can rely on their expertise.

Investing Smartly
Investing in SIPs is a smart move. It helps in wealth creation over time. Follow these steps for successful SIP investing:

Start Early
The earlier you start, the better. Time in the market is crucial.

Stay Disciplined
Stick to your investment plan. Don't let market fluctuations deter you.

Review Periodically
Regularly review your investments. Make necessary adjustments.

Seek Professional Help
Consult a Certified Financial Planner. They can guide you in the right direction.

Investing in mutual funds through SIPs is a wise decision. It offers a disciplined approach to wealth creation. Assess your financial goals and risk tolerance. Choose the right mutual funds and start your SIP. Regularly monitor and review your investments. Avoid common mistakes and stay disciplined. Consider the benefits of actively managed funds and regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner. Investing smartly will help you achieve your financial goals.

Dating, Relationships Expert - Answered on Jul 15, 2024

m in love with my boyfriend since 18 years. I waited till he gets his first job to tell my parents abut him. When the time came we both informed in our family that we want to get married. His father said yes initially and asked my family to meet at a common place. Later once I family agreed and came and called to inform his family, his mother denied saying his father is against this marriage. My parents called my boyfriend and asked whether he wants to marry me without his father approval and he said obviously!!! Why wouldn’t I? Then me and my boyfriend set a date and informed both our family that we are getting married on this date on july. My family has been always supportive and they support me here as well. But his family reacted differently saying we can’t allow you to marry on this date as this month is his birth month (some silly excuses) and they informed we can assure you we will get you married to your girlfriend in November or December. That time my boyfriend also agreed with his mother knowing that all wedding venues were booked and I have paid some kind of advance amount as well. And NOW!! My family went wild over him saying howcome he called of this marriage?? My boyfriend is asking me please give me a second chance that I will convince my parents to marry you in November or December. If they disagree i will move out and marry you only. How can I trust him this time? SHOULD I?
Ans: Dear Suwon,

I understand you are in a difficult situation and trusting someone once they have broken it is difficult. I also understand your parent's concern. I am sure you do too. Now, the real question is, do you want to give him another chance? I know he broke your trust by moving the dates suddenly, but maybe let's try to find out why he did it.

You have been with him for a long time. You should have some clue about the type of person he is; it is totally up to you to decide whether you want to give him another chance or move on with your life. Neither would be a wrong choice. But it should be your choice. Look at the pros and cons. All things he got right to date and the wrongs he did too. Weigh them against each other and by the end of it, you should have some clarity.

Hi I am a 18 year old living in Bangalore and I wanted to know how to manage my finances as I will be going to University from the 20th of this month. I want to know how to manage my savings and invest those savings for returns. I plan to ask my parents for 12,000 to 14,000 a month at the maximum which include my travel expenses for around 8,000 monthly.
Ans: Welcome to the exciting phase of starting university! Managing your finances at this stage is crucial. Your plan to ask your parents for Rs. 12,000 to Rs. 14,000 per month is a good start. Let’s break down how to use this money effectively.

Monthly Budgeting: The Foundation

First, let’s allocate your monthly funds wisely. Your travel expenses are Rs. 8,000. This leaves you with Rs. 4,000 to Rs. 6,000 for other expenses like food, supplies, and savings.

Allocating for Essentials

Ensure you set aside enough for food and essential items. This might be around Rs. 3,000 to Rs. 4,000. This leaves you with Rs. 1,000 to Rs. 2,000 for savings and investments.

Building a Savings Habit

Start by putting aside a fixed amount each month into a savings account. Even small amounts can grow over time. This builds a habit of saving and provides a safety net for unexpected expenses.

Investment Basics for Young Adults

With the money you save, consider investing. Investments can help your savings grow over time. Here’s a look at some options suitable for a student like you.

Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)

SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly into mutual funds. They are flexible and start with as low as Rs. 500. They help you benefit from the power of compounding and rupee cost averaging. Actively managed funds, chosen with the help of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), can offer better returns than index funds.

Actively managed funds have professional managers making investment decisions. This can result in better performance compared to index funds, which simply track market indices. Fund managers actively seek opportunities to outperform the market.

Index funds only replicate the market index. They don’t try to beat the market, limiting growth potential. Also, during market downturns, index funds can suffer as much as the market itself. Actively managed funds, on the other hand, aim to minimise losses during such times.

The Role of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)

A CFP can guide you in choosing the right actively managed funds. Investing through a regular fund via an MFD (Mutual Fund Distributor) with a CFP credential provides valuable insights and ongoing support. Direct funds lack this professional guidance.

Emergency Fund: Your Safety Net

Apart from SIPs, it’s wise to maintain an emergency fund. This should cover at least three months of expenses. It provides a buffer against unforeseen financial needs.

Avoiding High-Risk Investments

While it might be tempting to invest in high-risk options for quick returns, it’s better to stick to safer investments. Risky investments can lead to losses, which is not ideal at the start of your financial journey.

Education on Financial Literacy

Take time to educate yourself about personal finance. Understanding basics like budgeting, saving, and investing will help you make informed decisions. There are many resources available online, including courses and articles.

Part-Time Work: An Additional Income Source

Consider taking up part-time work or internships. This not only provides additional income but also valuable work experience. It can enhance your skills and make you more employable after graduation.

Living Within Your Means

It’s crucial to live within your means. Avoid unnecessary expenses and distinguish between needs and wants. This practice will ensure you stay within your budget and save more.

Using Student Discounts

Take advantage of student discounts and offers. Many places offer discounts on food, travel, and entertainment for students. This can help you save money on essential and leisure activities.

Tracking Your Expenses

Keep track of your expenses. This helps you understand where your money goes and identify areas to cut costs. Many apps can help you with expense tracking and budgeting.

Building Credit Responsibly

If you get a credit card, use it responsibly. Pay off the full balance each month to avoid interest charges. Building a good credit history can be beneficial for future financial needs.

Ensure you have adequate health insurance. This can protect you from high medical costs in case of illness or injury. Check if your parents' insurance covers you or consider getting student health insurance.

Long-Term Financial Planning

Even as a student, start thinking about long-term financial goals. This could include further education, buying a vehicle, or starting a business. Having a plan helps you stay focused and motivated.

Staying Informed

Stay informed about financial trends and updates. This can help you make better investment decisions. Regularly reading financial news and reports is a good practice.

Avoiding Debt

Avoid unnecessary debt. While student loans might be necessary, try to minimise other debts. High-interest debt can become a burden and hinder your financial growth.

Networking and Mentorship

Build a network of mentors and peers who can offer financial advice and support. Learning from others’ experiences can provide valuable insights and guidance.

Exploring Scholarship Opportunities

Look for scholarships and grants. These can significantly reduce your financial burden. Many organisations offer scholarships based on academic performance, talents, or financial need.

Balancing Academics and Finances

While managing finances is important, don’t let it overshadow your academics. Striking a balance is key to a successful university experience.

Learning from Mistakes

It’s okay to make financial mistakes. Learn from them and adjust your strategy. This is part of the learning process and helps you grow financially savvy.

Seeking Professional Advice

If you’re unsure about any financial decision, seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They can provide personalised guidance tailored to your needs and goals.

Starting Small, Thinking Big

Start with small, manageable investments. Over time, these can grow significantly. Patience and consistency are vital in the world of investments.

Maintaining Financial Discipline

Discipline is key to financial success. Stick to your budget, save regularly, and invest wisely. This approach will set a strong foundation for your financial future.

Managing your finances as a student sets the stage for your future financial well-being. Start with budgeting, saving, and making informed investment decisions. Educate yourself continuously and seek guidance when needed. With discipline and smart choices, you can achieve financial stability and growth.

I invested in SBI Mutual Fund through NJ Investments, a broking firm in the month of Oct 2023. Transaction report shows invested & current value on NJ Investment portal whereas on SBI Mutual Fund portal the invested & current value is shown as ZERO. The past transaction report on SBI Mutual Fund portal correctly shows the investment made on particular date but the current value is showing as ZERO. What may be the possible reason for this discrepancy?
Ans: Investing in mutual funds can be a rewarding experience, but sometimes discrepancies arise that need careful examination. Let's delve into your situation with SBI Mutual Fund and NJ Investments to understand the possible reasons for the discrepancy you're experiencing.

Understanding the Discrepancy
Overview of the Situation

You invested in SBI Mutual Fund through NJ Investments in October 2023. Your transaction report shows the invested and current value on the NJ Investment portal. However, the SBI Mutual Fund portal shows both the invested and current value as zero. The past transaction report on the SBI portal correctly reflects the investment date but shows the current value as zero. This discrepancy needs detailed analysis to identify the underlying causes.

Possible Reasons for Discrepancy

Several factors could be contributing to the discrepancy between the NJ Investments portal and the SBI Mutual Fund portal. Let’s explore each possibility in detail:

1. Timing Differences

Mutual fund transactions can sometimes experience a lag between the time they are recorded by the broker and when they are reflected by the fund house. This can cause temporary discrepancies.

2. Data Synchronisation Issues

NJ Investments and SBI Mutual Fund may not synchronise their data in real-time. This can lead to a delay in updating the SBI Mutual Fund portal with the latest information from NJ Investments.

3. Transaction Processing Delays

It’s possible that the transaction is still in the process of being confirmed and updated on the SBI Mutual Fund portal. This can happen due to internal processing delays.

4. Technical Glitches

Occasionally, technical issues can cause data display errors. The SBI Mutual Fund portal might be experiencing a temporary glitch that is preventing the accurate display of your current values.

5. Reconciliation Errors

There could be an error in reconciling the data between NJ Investments and SBI Mutual Fund. This can cause discrepancies in the displayed values.

Steps to Resolve the Discrepancy
To resolve this issue, you can follow a series of steps to ensure your investment details are correctly reflected:

1. Contact Customer Support

Reach out to both NJ Investments and SBI Mutual Fund customer support teams. Explain the discrepancy and ask for clarification on why the current value is shown as zero on the SBI Mutual Fund portal.

2. Verify Transaction Details

Ensure all your transaction details, including the amount invested and the date of investment, are accurately recorded on both portals. Cross-check these details with your transaction receipts or confirmation emails.

3. Check for Updates

Sometimes, discrepancies can be resolved automatically after some time. Check the SBI Mutual Fund portal periodically for updates on your investment values.

4. Request a Reconciliation

If the issue persists, request a detailed reconciliation of your account from both NJ Investments and SBI Mutual Fund. This will help identify where the error occurred and how it can be corrected.

5. Follow Up Regularly

Regular follow-ups with customer support can expedite the resolution process. Keep track of your communication and ensure that your issue is being addressed.

Analyzing the Benefits and Drawbacks
Actively Managed Funds vs. Index Funds

While discussing mutual funds, it’s important to consider the types of funds available. You mentioned your investment in an actively managed fund, which can offer several benefits over index funds:

Expert Management
Actively managed funds benefit from professional fund managers who make investment decisions based on research and market analysis. This expertise can potentially lead to better returns.

Flexibility
Fund managers can adjust the portfolio based on market conditions, aiming to capitalize on opportunities and manage risks effectively.

Potential for Higher Returns
Active management aims to outperform the market by selecting securities that have the potential for higher returns.

Drawbacks of Index Funds

Limited Flexibility
Index funds replicate a specific market index and cannot adapt to changing market conditions. This can limit their performance in volatile markets.

No Downside Protection
Index funds cannot take defensive positions during market downturns, which can lead to significant losses during bear markets.

Direct Funds vs. Regular Funds

You also inquired about investing through NJ Investments, which is a regular fund. Let's compare direct funds and regular funds:

Lack of Advisory Support
Investing in direct funds means you won't have access to professional advice. This can be challenging, especially for new investors.

Time-Consuming
Managing direct investments requires time and effort to research and monitor the market. This can be demanding for individuals with busy schedules.

Risk of Errors
Without professional guidance, there is a higher risk of making investment mistakes, which can negatively impact your returns.

Benefits of Regular Funds with CFP

Investing through a Certified Financial Planner provides access to expert advice tailored to your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Simplified Process
Regular funds simplify the investment process, as the advisor handles the research, selection, and monitoring of your investments.

Optimized Returns
A CFP can help you optimize your returns by creating a diversified portfolio that aligns with your financial objectives.

Ensuring Accurate Record Keeping
Importance of Accurate Records

Maintaining accurate records of your investments is crucial for tracking performance and making informed decisions. Here are some tips to ensure your records are accurate:

1. Regular Reviews

Regularly review your investment statements and transaction reports to ensure they accurately reflect your holdings and values.

2. Consolidate Information

Consolidate information from different portals and platforms to have a comprehensive view of your investments. This can help identify discrepancies early.

3. Use Technology

Utilise financial management software or apps that can aggregate data from multiple sources, providing a unified view of your investments.

4. Maintain Backups

Keep backups of important documents, such as transaction receipts and confirmation emails, to verify your records if needed.

Understanding the Role of Financial Advisors
Benefits of Working with a CFP

A Certified Financial Planner can provide valuable assistance in managing your investments and financial planning:

1. Tailored Advice

A CFP offers personalized advice based on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment horizon. This can help you make informed decisions.

2. Holistic Planning

CFPs take a holistic approach to financial planning, considering all aspects of your financial life, including investments, insurance, and retirement planning.

3. Long-Term Perspective

Working with a CFP ensures that you have a long-term perspective on your investments, focusing on sustainable growth and wealth accumulation.

4. Peace of Mind

Having a professional manage your investments provides peace of mind, knowing that your financial future is in capable hands.

Appreciating Your Investment Efforts

Investing in mutual funds is a commendable step towards securing your financial future. Your proactive approach in addressing discrepancies shows your commitment to managing your investments effectively. This vigilance is crucial in achieving your financial goals.

I understand how frustrating it can be to see discrepancies in your investment records. It’s important to address these issues promptly to ensure your investments are accurately reflected. Your diligence in seeking a resolution is a testament to your dedication to financial management.

Addressing discrepancies in your mutual fund investments requires a systematic approach. By understanding the possible reasons for the discrepancy and taking proactive steps to resolve it, you can ensure that your investments are accurately reflected. Additionally, appreciating the benefits of actively managed funds and the value of working with a Certified Financial Planner can enhance your investment strategy.

Maintaining accurate records and leveraging professional guidance can provide you with the peace of mind needed to achieve your financial goals. Your efforts in managing your investments are commendable, and with the right approach, you can overcome any challenges that arise.