Dr Radhakrishnan

Dr Radhakrishnan Pillai  |9 Answers  |Ask -

Leadership Coach, Corporate Trainer - Answered on Jun 07, 2023

Dr Radhakrishnan Pillai is the director of the Chanakya International Institute of Leadership Studies, University of Mumbai.
He holds a PhD in leadership from the University of Mumbai and has 25 years of industry and academic experience training and mentoring future leaders and PhD aspirants.
Parikshit Question by Parikshit on Jun 05, 2023Translate

I am unable to get job opportunities as I have no takers in the market due to my age. To add to it when I am going for interviews with potential employers, they force fit me into the sales as I am an operations & customer service specialist. I am open to doing business too but currently, I have no business ideas that are economically viable. Request your suggestions in this regard.

Ans: Hi Parikshit, Everyone with experience can get a job - but you need to go to the right companies. Also you can think of being a consultant in your area of expertise. That will fetch you good money and also respect you deserve. A few consulting assignments and you are ready for a second career in your life. Best wishes and prayers...

Mayank Rautela  |235 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Mar 18, 2021

Hello Mayank,I am a commerce graduate and have around 15 years of experience in back office operations.I am currently working at the document management department in an oil and gas MNC at a designation equivalent to that of a senior clerk.I am nearing 40 and I will be losing my current job in the next few months.My problem is that I am searching for a new job since one year but not getting any interviews. I guess this is due to my age (I am 40 and still at the clerical level) and my salary (around Rs 50,000) which is a bit on higher side with respect to my designation in my city.I don't have the skillsets or attitude for a team leader or managerial position.At present, I am not in a financial and mental state to acquire new skill sets, learn new things or start new businesses which are obvious suggestions.I can't work in BPOs as they don't hire associates at this salary and particularly at this age. Besides, I am not comfortable working night shifts.Could you suggest some different solution to my problem as I have already figured out/tried the common ones.Thanks in advance.Name withheld on request.

Hi.

Your question has so many ‘I can't’ statements that you have yourself ruled out many feasible options.

Please remember that, in the job market, there are many more qualified people than there are decent jobs. So you will certainly need to change your mindset and be flexible to adapt and learn new skill sets.

Even Sachin Tendulkar had to adapt to T-20 to play the IPL!

Approach the situation with a positive mindset and things will work out for you.

Khevna

Khevna Shah  |16 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jul 11, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 13, 2023Translate

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.