Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Mar 11, 2022

Mayank Rautela is the group chief human resources officer at Care Hospitals.
Manoj Question by Manoj on Mar 11, 2022Hindi

Dear Mayank Sir,
I have graduated in physics and maths and completed my masters in computer management from Sciber, Kolhapur.
Having experience of more than 24 years of IT experience on various ERP projects.
Currently working on BankSoft banking project (web-based). But I am not satisfied with the salary we are getting.
Presently I am doing Master of Data Science online from Simplilearn, Banglore.
Please guide me on how I could get work with IT companies from Pune/Bengaluru or any other metropolitan city.
With my qualifications, are there any chances of my getting a job in a high profile company?
Name: Manoj Katkar
DOB: 28.08.1969
Exp: 24+ years
Passport: Yes
Current location : Kolhapur
Please guide me, Sir.
With regards,
Manoj Katkar

Hi Manoj,

I see that you have an innate desire for learning and growth.

I am certain that you can get a job in any good company.

Do an analysis of the companies that do work in the areas of your expertise and then approach them for the right job.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on May 18, 2023

Hello Abhishek, my age is 43 & I am a b.com graduate, currently working in an mnc since last 8 years in back office document management profile with around 50000 in-hand salary. I have total experience of 11 years in same profile. I am searching for new job since last 1-2 years but not getting it in similar profile as companies are preferring persons with less salary/experience for this work. Please advise shall I try for data analysis/PMO profile in IT sector by doing some courses & if it's possible/advisable at my age with non technical degree & non relevant experience. Is there any other field you can advise where I can get similar salary. Thanks for your help in advance. Wish to be Anonymous.
Ans: Hi there,

Based on your current situation, it is understandable that you are exploring new career opportunities. Transitioning to a data analysis or PMO (Project Management Office) profile in the IT sector is indeed a viable option. While it may require you to acquire some additional skills through relevant courses, it is possible to make a successful career switch at your age and with a non-technical degree.

To enhance your chances of securing a job in these fields, consider the following steps:

Research and assess the demand: Investigate the job market to determine the demand for data analysts and PMO professionals in your region. This will help you gauge the opportunities available and make an informed decision.

Identify required skills: Look for the key skills and qualifications sought by employers in these fields. This will give you a clear understanding of the specific knowledge and expertise you need to acquire.

Skill development: Enroll in courses or training programs that specialize in data analysis or project management. These courses will equip you with the necessary technical skills and knowledge required for these roles.

Showcase transferable skills: Highlight your transferable skills from your previous experience, such as attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, organizational skills, and proficiency in data management. These skills can be valuable in data analysis and PMO roles.

Networking: Build a professional network in the IT industry. Attend industry events, join relevant online communities, and connect with professionals already working in the desired roles. Networking can help you discover job opportunities and gain insights into the industry.

Regarding the salary aspect, it's important to note that a transition to a different field might come with initial adjustments in salary. However, with the right skills and experience, you can work your way up to a similar salary level as your current role or even higher.

Remember, age should not be a deterrent in pursuing a new career path. Many individuals successfully transition into new roles and industries at various stages of their lives. Stay motivated, be open to learning, and leverage your existing strengths to make a successful switch. Good luck!

Regards,
Abhishek

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -