Workplace Expert - Answered on Feb 13, 2024

Krishna Kumar is the founder and CEO of GoMoTech, a company that provides strategic consulting in B2B sales, performance management and digital transformation.
Before branching out on his own, he worked with companies like Microsoft, Rediff, Flipkart and InMobi.
With over 25 years of experience under his belt, KK is a regular speaker at industry events and academic intuitions, both in India as well as abroad.
KK completed his MBA in marketing from the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning in Andhra Pradesh and his management development programme from XLRI, Jamshedpur.
Asked by Anonymous - Aug 31, 2023Hindi

Hello Sir,I am from hospitality background and now into allied services.Have around 25 years of experience.How do I counter age bias in interviews and applications ?

Ans: Dear

You can't. ...accept it as a fact of life...look for opportunities relevant to your experience.

we all grow old...make peace with it.

All the best.

Sir I want to SIP of 40k per month and want to make a corpus of 1cr in coming 8 years kindly suggest
Ans: Evaluating Your Goal
You aim to create a Rs. 1 crore corpus in 8 years. Investing Rs. 40,000 per month via SIPs is a solid strategy. Let’s break it down.

Benefits of Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)
Disciplined Investing: Helps you invest regularly.
Rupee Cost Averaging: Reduces the impact of market volatility.
Compounding: Small amounts grow significantly over time.
Expected Returns
Assuming an average annual return of 12%, your monthly SIP of Rs. 40,000 can potentially help you reach Rs. 1 crore in 8 years.

Limited Growth Potential: Only matches market returns.
No Active Management: Lacks strategic adjustments.
Lower Flexibility: Cannot react to market changes.
Expert Management: Professionals manage your investments.
Higher Returns Potential: Aims to outperform the market.
Strategic Adjustments: Reacts to market conditions.
No Professional Guidance: You miss expert advice.
Higher Risk: Due to lack of professional management.
Complexity: Requires deep knowledge and time.
Benefits of Investing Through MFD with CFP
Expert Advice: Helps in making informed decisions.
Regular Monitoring: Keeps your investments on track.
Customized Portfolio: Tailored to your goals and risk profile.
Step 1: Diversify Investments
Equity Funds: High growth potential.
Debt Funds: Stability and lower risk.
Hybrid Funds: Balanced approach.
Step 2: Regular Monitoring
Review Quarterly: Adjust based on performance.
Rebalance Annually: Maintain your risk-return balance.
Step 3: Increase SIP Amount Annually
Inflation Adjustment: Increase SIP by 5-10% annually.
Step 4: Stay Committed
Market Fluctuations: Stay invested despite market ups and downs.
Long-Term Focus: Keep your eyes on the 8-year goal.
Importance of Professional Guidance
A Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can help you:

Set Realistic Goals: Based on your financial situation.
Create a Plan: Customized to your needs.
Monitor Progress: Ensure you stay on track.
Additional Considerations
Emergency Fund: Keep 6 months of expenses aside.
Insurance: Adequate health and life insurance coverage.
Tax Planning: Use tax-efficient investment options.
To achieve your Rs. 1 crore goal in 8 years:

Invest Rs. 40,000 monthly via SIPs.
Focus on equity funds for growth.
Seek professional advice for customized planning.

Samkit

Samkit Maniar  |151 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Jul 25, 2024

Hi Samkit, I'm a retired person, 66 years old. Before retirement, I had invested Rs.93.5 lakhs in a commercial real estate in Navi Mumbi in Feb.2017 and registered the property jointly with my wife on 50/50 basis. The value of the property as determined by stamp duty registrar at that time was Rs.73.41 lakhs. The expenses on stamp duty, registration and brokerage was Rs.7.53 lakhs and improvement expenditure of Rs.4 lakhs. So total cost of purchase worked out to Rs.1.09 crores. I sold this property in Feb.2024, exactly after 7 years, for Rs.1.1 crore. Market value (for stamp duty purpose) on this date was Rs.89.89 lakhs. While filing my ITR2 in AY 2024-25, I had split all the above values by 2 and 50% was shown in my ITR2 and the remaining 50% was shown in my wife's ITR2 under CG for showing the capital gain. The system has calculated and shown the capital gain as minus Rs.31.24, i.e. Rs.-15.62 in each of our ITR2. The system has also automatically adjusted my LTCG arising out of other share transactions during the FY. The system allows the remaining loss to be carried forward to next year under CFL. My questions are: (1) Can we both go ahead and finalise & submit the ITR2 as shown above? (2) Can we use the losses carried forward during the next AY to set off our incomes arising out of share market transactions? Thank you so much in advance for your valuable time and advice.
Ans: Yes, seems correct treatment done. You can go ahead with submitting your returns respectively.

Please note that Long term losses can only be set off against long term gains, if that's the case then you can.

Please consult your CA before moving ahead.

I'm a 20 year old student. I want a corpus of 15 crores in the next 15 to 20 years. How much daily SIP should I do? And which type of mutual fund should I invest it.
Ans: Creating a corpus of Rs. 15 crores in 15 to 20 years is a significant goal. You will need a structured investment strategy and disciplined approach to achieve it.

Benefits of Early Investment

Starting investments at 20 gives you a huge advantage. Time is on your side, allowing your investments to compound and grow significantly.

Daily SIP for Consistency

A daily SIP ensures regular investment without burdening you with a large lump sum. It helps inculcate discipline and takes advantage of market fluctuations.

Types of Mutual Funds

Given your long-term horizon, equity mutual funds are ideal. They offer higher returns compared to other types, albeit with higher risk.

Recommended Mutual Funds

Large-Cap Funds

These invest in large, established companies.
They offer relatively stable returns.
Mid-Cap Funds

These invest in mid-sized companies.
They provide a balance between risk and return.
Small-Cap Funds

These invest in small companies with high growth potential.
They come with higher risk but can offer substantial returns.
Flexi-Cap Funds

These funds invest across market capitalizations.
They offer diversification and flexibility.
Sectoral/Thematic Funds

These invest in specific sectors.
Higher risk but can provide significant returns if the sector performs well.

Investing in direct funds requires a deep understanding of the market. Without expert guidance, it can be challenging to manage. It's beneficial to invest through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD) with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) credential. They offer professional advice, regular portfolio reviews, and help in achieving your goals efficiently.

Calculating Daily SIP

To estimate the daily SIP amount:

The total corpus required: Rs. 15 crores
Investment horizon: 15 to 20 years
Let's assume an average return of 12% per annum from equity mutual funds. For accurate daily SIP calculation, consider consulting a Certified Financial Planner.

Diversifying your investments reduces risk. Allocate your SIP across different fund types to balance risk and returns. For example:

Large-Cap: 30%
Mid-Cap: 30%
Small-Cap: 20%
Flexi-Cap: 20%
Regular Monitoring and Adjustment

Regularly review your portfolio. Market conditions and your financial situation may change. Adjust your investments accordingly.

Building Financial Discipline

Consistent investing and financial discipline are crucial. Avoid unnecessary expenses and focus on your long-term goals.

Importance of Professional Guidance

Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice and help you navigate market complexities. They ensure your investment strategy aligns with your financial goals.

Achieving a corpus of Rs. 15 crores in 15 to 20 years is ambitious but attainable. Start with a daily SIP in diversified mutual funds. Regularly review and adjust your investments. Professional guidance can greatly enhance your investment strategy.

Dear Sir We had booked a flat in one of the projects in Karnataka ( 15 + years back) but when the project is about to complete the land owner of that apartment filed the case against the builder because the builder had constructed few flats illegally in that project.. The land owner had demanded few crores from the builder for illegally constructing the flat...During that time we were in abroad and 3 flats werent registered in this project one is ours and 2 more flat owners were in abroad too..Thats out of 35 flats... Hence the builder had registered three flats in their name for the safety..But till now we havent got registered of that flat in our name becos there is case in the court. Hence there is no completion certificate issued for that project..etc.... and no flat owner can sell their flat due to the court case. However the builder had given us a power of attorney for the flat for rent it out or stay... And we have rented the flat and are getting the rent... we have been regularly followed up with the builder, he everytime promises today tomorrow....like this 15+ years passed...last year we asked for a replacement flat in one of their new project and he agreed to give us a replacement flat provided we pay some extra bucks as per the rate...We agreed for that and got the agreement signed and also got the sale deed of the land etc.. we have paid the payment in cheques.Its a huge project and completion of the project is bit slow and got delayed.... Recently, the builder had sent an email to all flat owners to register their flats but when we consulted for registration the builder said he had to transfer the payment done by us from the previous project to this new project...hence it would take time (by the way thats their internal issue) everytime we consulted for registration he says it would take one months time and his legal team is working on it...Sometime he says the court case should get over of the other project and then only he can help to register the the present flat..(though the previous flat is in their name itself) we have nothing to do with case (as the Case is between land owner and builder) also the previous flat registration al in their name..we have only agreement and receipts.of payment done...hence so far the flat is not registered...most of the flats got registered in the new project...The project is not completed yet it would take one more year... My question is why the builder is delaying the registration process of our flat and why is he not doing the internal issues solved and help us to register our flat in our name... Should we register the flat ourselves provided we get required documents from the builder? Or consult a lawyer in this regard...Pls guide...
Ans: You booked a flat 15+ years ago in Karnataka. The project faced legal issues due to illegal construction. You haven’t been able to register the flat in your name.

Builder’s Delay
The builder registered three flats, including yours, in their name. You have a power of attorney to rent it out. The builder promised a replacement flat in a new project, but the registration is still delayed.

Key Questions
Why is the builder delaying registration?
Should you register the flat yourself?
Should you consult a lawyer?
Builder's Delay Analysis
Internal Issues
Fund Transfer: The builder needs to transfer payments from the previous project to the new one. This seems to be causing delays.

Legal Complications: The builder indicates that the ongoing court case may affect the registration process. However, you have no involvement in this case.

Project Completion
Project Delay: The new project is not yet complete. This might also contribute to the registration delay.
Recommendations
Consult a Lawyer
Legal Advice: Consult a lawyer to understand your legal standing and options.

Documentation: Ensure all your documents are in order. The lawyer can help review and prepare necessary paperwork.

Registration Process
Self-Registration: With the required documents from the builder, you might register the flat yourself. This requires legal guidance.

Follow-Up: Continue to follow up with the builder regularly. Ensure all communication is documented.

Legal Action
Notice to Builder: Your lawyer may suggest sending a legal notice to the builder for delaying registration.

Court Case: If the builder doesn’t cooperate, consider filing a case against them. This might expedite the process.

Insightful Evaluation
Assessing Risks
Builder's Reliability: Evaluate the builder’s past projects and their completion rates. This helps in assessing the likelihood of further delays.

Legal Risks: Understand the legal risks associated with the ongoing court case. Your lawyer can provide a detailed assessment.

Future Steps
Replacement Flat: If the builder provides a replacement flat, ensure all legal aspects are clear before agreeing.

Backup Plan: Have a backup plan in case the registration process faces more delays. This might include exploring other housing options.

Communication
Transparent Dialogue: Maintain open and transparent communication with the builder. Document all discussions and agreements.

Legal Assistance: Have your lawyer involved in all major communications with the builder. This ensures legal backing.

Proactive Steps
Consulting a lawyer is crucial. They can guide you through the legal complexities and help expedite the registration process.

Keep all your documents organized. This will be helpful during any legal procedures.

Regularly follow up with the builder. Ensure you have written records of all communications.

Evaluate the reliability of the builder and the legal implications of the ongoing court case. This helps in making informed decisions.