Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Abhisek Question by Abhisek on Feb 02, 2023Hindi

Hi, my current CTC, fixed pay is 60 lacs and at present I have a home loan. As well I invest in NPS and other possible tax savings schemes every financial year. Whether opting for new tax regime will benefit me.

Ans: This year as also next year, old tax regime will be beneficial to you assuming you avail the 80C and 80CCD(1B)benefits.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 25, 2023

Hi Expert, My CTC is 12 Lakhs. I have home loan interest of INR 1,60,000 and principle of approx INR 80,000, ELSS 36,000, Life Insurance 12,000, Tuition Fee 60,000, Medical Insurance 26,000, PPF 50,000 to1,00,000. these are my planned annual investments. I need you help to choose new tax regime or old tax regime. can you help, please.
Ans: Based on the information you have provided, you can calculate your tax liability under both the old tax regime and the new tax regime to see which one is more beneficial for you.

Under the old tax regime, you can claim deductions under Section 80C for your home loan principal repayment, ELSS, life insurance premium, tuition fees, and PPF, which amounts to a total deduction of up to INR 1.5 lakh. In addition, you can claim a deduction of up to INR 25,000 for medical insurance premium under Section 80D. Your total deductions would be INR 1.75 lakh, which reduces your taxable income to INR 10.25 lakh.

Your tax liability under the old tax regime would be as follows:

Up to INR 2.5 lakh: Nil
INR 2.5 lakh to INR 5 lakh: 5% of (taxable income - INR 2.5 lakh)
INR 5 lakh to INR 7.5 lakh: INR 12,500 + 10% of (taxable income - INR 5 lakh)
INR 7.5 lakh to INR 10 lakh: INR 37,500 + 15% of (taxable income - INR 7.5 lakh)
INR 10 lakh to INR 12.5 lakh: INR 75,000 + 20% of (taxable income - INR 10 lakh)
Above INR 12.5 lakh: INR 1,25,000 + 30% of (taxable income - INR 12.5 lakh)
Under the new tax regime, you cannot claim the deductions under Section 80C, Section 80D, and other sections. However, you can claim a standard deduction of INR 50,000. Your taxable income would be INR 11.1 lakh.

Your tax liability under the new tax regime would be as follows:

Up to INR 2.5 lakh: Nil
Based on the above calculations, it seems like the old tax regime may be more beneficial for you as your taxable income would be lower due to the deductions under Section 80C and Section 80D. However, you should consult a tax expert or a financial advisor to make an informed decision based on your individual circumstances.

Sir, i have completed my bachelors (BCA) in India in an engineering college and wishes to pursue my masters in a foreign country.My family is'nt well off so iam looking into schlorships.can you suggest some courses with good scope. Also which countries are best for IT field that provide great schlorship oppurtunities.
Ans: As far as Scholarships for Abroad Universities are concerned, you should have good scores from the entrance tests (whichever will be applicable according to the University's admission criteria), good past academic records, your extra and co-curricular activities, additional certifications, your Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation etc. Those who have gained work experience of a minimum 2-3 years after graduation get preference in admission.

And most of the Universities do not provide 100% scholarships. You will have to bear some expenses (depends upon which University / College you get admission into & what all expenses only it will cover?) .

As you have mentioned that your parents NOT well-off financially, it is suggested to work for 2-3 years, earn some money and also gain work experience, then go for further education abroad.

Before approaching any Professional Abroad Education Consultant, do a thorough research about the Countries/Universities/Programs, shortlist those which you think will be most suitable, apply to 5-6 top Univerities offering Scholarships and finalize one best University/College for you.

All the BEST for Your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, ask / Follow Us here in RediffGURUS.