Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 26, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
Mahesh Question by Mahesh on Apr 11, 2023Translate

My business income from my profession till FY2021-22 was less than 50 lakhs, and I was availing the provision of presumptive income. During Fy 2022-23 it will be 53 lahks; hence I am required to submit audited books of account. From FY 2023-24, this limit for the presumptive income is raised from 50 l to 75 lahks. My business income during 23-24 is likely to be in the range of 54 lahks. I want to know whether I can shift to presumptive income in 23-24, even when I had submitted audited books of account during 22.23.

Ans: Hi Mahesh
I am presuming that you have a specified professional income and hence you have opted for the presumptive taxation u/s 44ADA.

Yes, you could opt for the presumptive taxation in FY 23-24

Presumptive Tax Scheme for FnO Traders. I read online that advance tax needs to be deposited in one Installment ONLY and not necessary to follow the 4 deadline of advance tax. If someone deposits advance tax in more than one installment. Does it makes the person ineligible to opt for Presumptive scheme ? Is there eligibility based on number of times the advance tax is deposited?
Ans: Presumptive tax scheme and payment of advance tax are two separate issues.
Whether you want presumptive taxation or not depends on how much is your F&O turnover and if audit is not compulsory for you, whether you’re OK with being subjected to audit or not.
Advance Tax payment is only concerned with how you pay the tax that is due to be paid by you.

If you are carrying on F&O trading, you have to get your accounts audited if the turnover exceeds Rs 10 crore (the digital transactions are 95% or more). You can opt for a presumptive taxation scheme when turnover does not exceed Rs 2 crores and declare your taxable income at 6% of the total F&O turnover. Tax audit becomes mandatory if you opt for a presumptive scheme of taxation and declare an income lower than the presumptive income and total taxable income (after including income from other heads) exceeds the maximum amount not chargeable to tax i.e. Rs 2.5 lakh.

Unlike common perceptions, income from F&O Trading is considered a non-speculative business income, taxable at slab rates. If the tax liability of the F&O trader from all sources of income during the financial year exceeds INR 10,000, he/she is liable to pay Advance Tax in four quarterly instalments as per the applicable due date like any other income source.
Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 11, 2023

My business income from profession till FY2021-22 was less than 50 lakh and I was availing the provision of presumptive income. During Fy 2022-23 it will be 53 lakh hence I am required to submit audited books of account. Now from the FY 2023-24, this limit for the presumptive income is raised from 50 l to 75 lakh. My business income during 23-24 is likely to be in the range of 54 lakh. I want to know whether I can shift to presumptive income in 23-24, even when I had submitted audited books of account during 22.23.
Ans: Dear Mahesh,

Thank you for reaching out with your query. I understand that you were previously availing the provision of presumptive income under section 44ADA, and your business income increased to ₹53 lakh in FY 2022-23, requiring you to submit audited books of account. Now, as the limit for presumptive income has been raised to ₹75 lakh in FY 2023-24, you are wondering whether you can shift back to the presumptive income scheme.

Based on the amendment in the Finance Bill 2023, which raises the limit for presumptive income under section 44ADA from ₹50 lakh to ₹75 lakh, you will be eligible to opt for the presumptive income scheme in FY 2023-24, provided your income stays within the new limit and you meet the other conditions mentioned in the amendment.

As your projected income for FY 2023-24 is ₹54 lakh, you should be able to shift back to the presumptive income scheme, even if you had submitted audited books of account for FY 2022-23. Please note that you must also ensure that the cash receipts do not exceed 5% of the total gross receipts for the year, as stated in the amendment.

I hope this helps clarify your query.

Best regards,

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations