Vivek

Vivek Lala  |251 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Mar 09, 2024

Vivek Lala has been working as a tax planner since 2018. His expertise lies in making personalised tax budgets and tax forecasts for individuals. As a tax advisor, he takes pride in simplifying tax complications for his clients using simple, easy-to-understand language.
Peeyush Question by Peeyush on Feb 01, 2024Hindi

Hi Vivek! I am a software engineer working in Bengaluru. For FY 2023-24, my salary is 20 Lakhs whereas I have earning of 74 Lakhs from IT Consultancy. Do I require tax audit or can I simply apply presumptive taxation on 74 Lakhs as per 44AD and state my final income as 57 Lakhs (20L + 37L) and pay taxes as per tax slab on it. I do have GSTIN and file GST as professional income is more than 20L.

Ans: If you operate more than 1 profession, you have to audit your account books in case the gross receipts of all the professions cumulatively cross rs. 50 lakh
So in your case you need to audit your books

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 18, 2023

I'm a Legal professional engaged as a Consultant with a Company and getting INR 1,50,000/- per month (Annual - INR 18.00 Lakh) as Consultancy Fee. In addition to Consultancy Fee., I've been provided with free accommodation in the township. the value of accommodation as per IT Act/Rules is assessed at INR 9,500/- per month (Annual - 1,14,000/). TDS is also deducted !10% on the Consultancy Fee as also on free accommodation under Section 194R (perquisites). My Total Income from Professional is !8 Lakh + 1.14 Lakh (value of perquisites) = 19.14 Lakh. Am I required to get registration under GST and raise GST Invoice on the Company? Kindly clarify. Shall be grateful for the help. Regards, Rakesh Tiwari
Ans: Dear Rakesh, Basis your question, let us unbundle the situation , one after the other.

1) I have understood that you are not an "employee" of the company and so, provisions of "Income under the head Salaries" under the provisions of the Income - Tax Act, 1961 of India, would not be attracted. And so, your income won't fall under the head salaries.

2) Again, as mentioned by you, the TDS is deducted under @10.00% on consultancy fees (under provisions of Sec 194J ) and also on free accommodation.

Section 194 R is a newly inserted section, and it is applicable from July 1, 2022. The wording of this section reads, ... It mandates a person responsible for providing any benefit or perquisite to a resident to deduct tax at source at a rate of 10% of the value or aggregate value of such benefit or perquisite before providing it to the resident......

.......The provision of this section shall not apply to an individual or a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) whose total turnover/sales/receipt doesn’t exceed INR 1 crore in case of business or INR 50 lakh in case of profession....

TDS deducted under provisions of Sec 194R itself infer that, you are not an employee of the company, else the TDS of such "benefits" would have been deducted under provisons of "Salaries".

In most cases, the deductor of the tax may not be aware about the actual income of yours ( since you are a lawyer, TDS @ 10.00% under section 194R would not have been deducted, if the income from profession is less than ₹50.00 lacs per annum. The deductor might felt to comply with these provisions and may have deducted the TDS AT 10.00% }

To summarise, as explained above,

a. Your income from consultancy fees and as consultant is liable to be taxed under the provisions of "Income from Business Profession" { Section 28 of Income tax Act, 1961}, considering the fact you are a legal professional and getting consultancy fees is your main source of income, under normal course of business.

b. You can claim other legitimate expenses against this income, which you might have incurred to earn this income, as legitimate deduction. Eg. conveyance expenses, stationery expenses, salary payment to your staff,electricity bill, etc.

3) Coming to GST provisions:

There a concept of reverse charge in case of GST , which is applicable to certain class of service providers and legal professional is one of them. As per my reading of the law, if legal services are provided to a corporate body with turnover exceeding Rs 40 lakh, then GST is applicable on reverse charge basis. You are requested to verify, if the consultancy provided by you as consultant to the receiver of the serivices is a corporate & whoes turnover exceeds ₹40.00 Lacs, then, then, it would be the responsibility of the receiver of the services, to honour the GST liability arriving due to payment of consultancy fees to you , as a legal professional, under reverse charge mechanism & if the turnover of such service recipient, is less than ₹40.00 Lacs & if the total receipt under business professional of the service provider exceeds ₹20.00 Lacs, then it is mandatory to obtain GST registration and the onus to collect the GST from the service receiver lies with the servicer provider and to pay to the exchequer.

In either case, GST registration is mandatory, once the turnover exceeds ₹20.00 Lacs in a particular financial year.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024