Asked by Anonymous - Nov 16, 2023Hindi

Sir My age is 52.5 years , I am planning to retire by 55. I have following goals: Daughters education : 3 lakh per year for next 3 years. Her marriage: 40 lakh after 5 years. Sons marriage: 40 lakhs after 4 years. Current corpus: 71 lakhs in my PF account 62 lakhs in MF I will get 40 lakhs towards Gratuity & leave encashment . At present Iam investing 65 k per month in MF. My monthly expenses are 40 k , How much corpus will be sufficient for safe retirement after 2.5 years?

Ans: Apart for thr education and marriage expenses you should have 1 crore corpus

Sir, Myself Rajesh, salaried person, 37 years old. having MF SIP Rs. 36500 per month, current invested amount is about Rs. 14,00,000/- + in Equity stocks- Rs.3,00,000/- have about Rs. 5,00,000/- in hand to invest either in stocks or MF . Have family of 3 people and Monthly expenses are around Rs.25k. Planning to take retirement in another 10 years, looking at the current investment can you help me identify approx. corpus required to invest and take retirement. Thank you.
Ans: Hello Rajesh! It's great to see your commitment to investing for your future, especially with retirement on the horizon. Let's dive into planning for your retirement corpus.

Given your current investments in MF SIPs and equity stocks, you're already on a solid path. However, to estimate the corpus needed for retirement, we need to consider factors such as your desired post-retirement lifestyle, inflation, and expected expenses.

With your monthly expenses at Rs. 25,000 and a family of three, projecting your future expenses accounting for inflation is essential. Additionally, factoring in potential healthcare costs and other unforeseen expenses is prudent.

As a Certified Financial Planner, I recommend conducting a comprehensive financial review to determine your retirement goals and risk tolerance. This will help in estimating the corpus required to sustain your lifestyle post-retirement comfortably.

With your additional Rs. 5,00,000 in hand, you have an opportunity to further diversify your investments. Whether you choose to invest in stocks or MFs, consider your risk appetite and the need for diversification to mitigate risks.

I suggest consulting with a financial advisor who can create a personalized retirement plan tailored to your specific circumstances and goals. By taking proactive steps now, you're setting yourself up for a financially secure retirement in 10 years. Keep up the good work, and remember, investing is a journey, so stay focused on your long-term objectives.

Greetings ! I have the following question for your expert advice: I am 43 + by age and currently into private sector service. I have no obligation towards any loan or EMI. At present I have around 10 Lac corpus into different MFs (with current market value of 14L) through monthly SIP of around 20,000. In terms of financial back up I have FDs (10 Lac.), EPF (5L), PPF (Both Self & Spouse 14L) and NPS (5L). In terms of obligation, my son is in 9th standard and his education costs is secured through LIC policies. Apart from that I have Health Insurance (15L) and Term Insurance (1 Cr.) I am planning to retire after 10 years and wanted to know what will be the ideal amount of corpus fund for a happy retirement and how to achieve that in next 10 years.
Ans: It's commendable that you're planning ahead for your retirement. To determine the ideal corpus for a happy retirement, you'll need to consider factors such as your desired lifestyle, expected expenses, inflation, and life expectancy. A certified financial planner can help you calculate a personalized retirement corpus based on these factors.

To achieve your retirement goals in the next 10 years, consider the following steps:

Evaluate Current Investments: Review your current investment portfolio, including MFs, FDs, EPF, PPF, and NPS. Assess their performance, risk profile, and alignment with your retirement goals.
Set Retirement Goals: Determine your desired retirement lifestyle and estimated expenses. Factor in inflation and other potential costs such as healthcare and leisure activities.
Calculate Required Corpus: Work with a financial planner to calculate the required retirement corpus based on your goals, expenses, and expected returns. Consider factors like inflation and longevity risk.
Optimize Savings and Investments: Maximize contributions to retirement-focused investment vehicles such as EPF, PPF, and NPS. Consider increasing SIP amounts or diversifying into other investment avenues to accelerate wealth accumulation.
Monitor and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio and make adjustments as needed to stay on track towards your retirement goals. Consider rebalancing your portfolio periodically and reassessing your risk tolerance.
Remember that retirement planning is a dynamic process, and it's essential to adapt your strategy as your circumstances change. By starting early and seeking professional advice, you can build a robust retirement corpus and enjoy a financially secure future.

Hi, My age is 43yrs and current investments are PF and PPF: 1.5cr, Mutual funds: 90Lakhs, Direct Stocks: 25lakhs, Fixed deposits: 40 lakh, SGB: 5 lakhs, Cash:40 Lakhs. Liabilities: Home EMI: 49,000 per month, kids education: 45,000 per month and other expense:45,000. Surplus of 1 lakh. I like to retire in 10 years. How much corpus do I need at the time of retirement. Liabilities: 2 Kids will complete 12the class in 6 years And then their marriage.
Ans: You are 43 years old with diverse investments. You aim to retire in 10 years. Your financial details are as follows:

Provident Fund (PF) and Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs. 1.5 crore
Mutual Funds: Rs. 90 lakh
Direct Stocks: Rs. 25 lakh
Fixed Deposits (FDs): Rs. 40 lakh
Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB): Rs. 5 lakh
Cash: Rs. 40 lakh
Liabilities and Expenses
Home EMI: Rs. 49,000 per month
Kids’ Education: Rs. 45,000 per month
Other Expenses: Rs. 45,000 per month
Total Monthly Expenses: Rs. 1,39,000
Surplus Income: Rs. 1 lakh per month
Your children will complete their 12th grade in 6 years and then have expenses for higher education and marriage.

Assessing Retirement Corpus Needs
1. Estimate Monthly Expenses Post-Retirement:

Assuming you maintain a similar lifestyle post-retirement.
Inflation-adjusted monthly expenses might increase.
Consider an inflation rate of 6% per year.
2. Calculate Retirement Corpus:

Calculate the amount needed to generate the required monthly income.
Factor in inflation and life expectancy (e.g., up to age 85).
1. Pay Off Liabilities:

Prioritize paying off the home loan before retirement.
This will reduce your monthly expenses significantly.
2. Build a Diversified Portfolio:

Continue with diversified investments in mutual funds, stocks, and bonds.
Consider increasing investments in mutual funds for growth.
Allocate a portion of your surplus to equity and debt funds.
3. Set Up Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Use your monthly surplus of Rs. 1 lakh to set up SIPs.
Focus on equity mutual funds for higher long-term returns.
Consider balanced funds for a mix of growth and stability.
4. Emergency Fund:

Maintain an emergency fund to cover 6-12 months of expenses.
Keep this in a liquid and safe investment like a savings account or short-term FD.
5. Child Education and Marriage Fund:

Start a dedicated fund for your children’s education and marriage.
Use a mix of equity and debt mutual funds for this goal.
Adjust the allocation as you get closer to the need.
6. Review and Adjust Investments:

Review your portfolio every six months.
Adjust based on performance and changing needs.
Ensure you are on track to meet your retirement and other financial goals.
1. Estimate Future Monthly Expenses:

Current monthly expenses: Rs. 1,39,000
Adjusted for inflation over 10 years (at 6% per year).
2. Calculate Required Corpus:

Use a retirement calculator to estimate the corpus.
Factor in life expectancy, inflation, and expected returns on investments.
Additional Tips
1. Tax Efficiency:

Choose investments that offer tax benefits.
Consider tax-efficient mutual funds and debt instruments.
2. Adequate Insurance:

Ensure you have sufficient health and life insurance.
Review your policies to ensure they meet your needs.
3. Regular Monitoring:

Stay disciplined with your investments.
Regularly monitor and rebalance your portfolio.
To retire comfortably in 10 years, you need a substantial corpus. Continue your diversified investment strategy, focus on growth, and pay off your liabilities. Use your monthly surplus wisely to build a robust retirement fund. Regularly review and adjust your investments to stay on track.

Sir, i have completed my bachelors (BCA) in India in an engineering college and wishes to pursue my masters in a foreign country.My family is'nt well off so iam looking into schlorships.can you suggest some courses with good scope. Also which countries are best for IT field that provide great schlorship oppurtunities.
Ans: As far as Scholarships for Abroad Universities are concerned, you should have good scores from the entrance tests (whichever will be applicable according to the University's admission criteria), good past academic records, your extra and co-curricular activities, additional certifications, your Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Recommendation etc. Those who have gained work experience of a minimum 2-3 years after graduation get preference in admission.

And most of the Universities do not provide 100% scholarships. You will have to bear some expenses (depends upon which University / College you get admission into & what all expenses only it will cover?) .

As you have mentioned that your parents NOT well-off financially, it is suggested to work for 2-3 years, earn some money and also gain work experience, then go for further education abroad.

Before approaching any Professional Abroad Education Consultant, do a thorough research about the Countries/Universities/Programs, shortlist those which you think will be most suitable, apply to 5-6 top Univerities offering Scholarships and finalize one best University/College for you.

All the BEST for Your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, ask / Follow Us here in RediffGURUS.