Financial Planner - Answered on Apr 18, 2024

Hi ,I am a 25 year old and started earning 50k ...could you please suggest how much should I save? Currently I am saving 25k ...and please suggest where should I invest ???

Ans: 25K saving per month is a good saving. Investment in equity mutual fund is advisable through SIP mode

55 years of age. No saving or investment till now. Please suggest how to save at least 25 lac in next 5 years. Income is 60K pm. Estimated expenses +medicals is 40-45 K pm Please suggest. Thanks with best wishes
Ans: It's never too late to start saving and investing, even at 55 years of age. Let's outline a plan to help you accumulate 25 lakhs in the next 5 years:
1. Assess Current Finances: Begin by evaluating your current financial situation, including income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. Understanding your financial baseline will help in setting realistic savings goals.
2. Create a Budget: Develop a monthly budget that accounts for all your expenses, including essentials like utilities, groceries, and medical expenses. Identify areas where you can potentially reduce spending to increase savings.
3. Emergency Fund: Prioritize building an emergency fund equivalent to at least 6-12 months of your living expenses. This fund will provide a financial cushion for unexpected expenses or emergencies, ensuring you don't dip into your savings prematurely.
4. Investment Strategy: With a 5-year timeframe, consider a combination of savings and investment avenues to achieve your goal of accumulating 25 lakhs. Since you have a relatively short investment horizon, focus on low to moderate risk options with potential for growth.
5. Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): Start a monthly SIP in mutual funds or other investment vehicles that align with your risk tolerance and financial goals. Consider diversified equity funds for growth potential, balanced funds for stability, and debt funds for capital preservation.
6. Additional Income Streams: Explore opportunities to increase your income through part-time work, freelancing, or utilizing any specialized skills or hobbies you may have. Even a small additional income can significantly boost your savings over time.
7. Minimize Expenses: Continuously review your expenses and look for ways to minimize discretionary spending. Cut back on non-essential purchases and focus on living within your means to maximize savings.
8. Regular Review: Periodically review your financial progress and adjust your savings and investment strategy as needed. Monitor the performance of your investments and make any necessary changes to stay on track towards your goal.
9. Seek Professional Guidance: Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner who can provide personalized advice tailored to your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive financial plan and navigate the investment landscape effectively.
By following these steps and staying disciplined in your approach, you can work towards achieving your target of saving 25 lakhs in the next 5 years, securing your financial future.

I am 21 years old and I am in government job earn 45k/m I want to quit job at the age of 40 years how much savings per month will be good and which type of investment is better for my future??
Ans: It’s fantastic that you’re thinking about your future and planning for it at such a young age. Your goal to quit your job at 40 is ambitious and achievable with the right strategy. Let’s discuss how you can save and invest wisely to meet this goal.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
Monthly Income and Savings Potential
You earn Rs. 45,000 per month from your government job. This is a good start and gives you a solid base to build your savings and investment plan.

Savings Potential
It’s essential to determine how much you can comfortably save each month. Ideally, saving at least 30-40% of your income is a good target. This means saving around Rs. 13,500 to Rs. 18,000 per month.

Budgeting and Expense Management
Before deciding on your savings, it’s important to track your expenses. Make sure you have a clear understanding of your monthly expenses, including necessary spending and discretionary spending. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back and save more.

Setting Financial Goals
Short-Term Goals
Emergency Fund: Save 6-12 months of expenses in a liquid, safe investment like a savings account or a liquid mutual fund.
Insurance: Ensure you have adequate health insurance and term life insurance coverage.
Long-Term Goals
Retirement Corpus: Accumulate enough wealth to sustain your lifestyle post-retirement at 40.
Other Life Goals: Consider goals like buying a car, traveling, or higher education.
Investment Options for Future Growth
Safe and Tax-Efficient
PPF is a popular investment option. It offers tax-free returns and the security of government backing. A long-term investment in PPF can help you build a significant corpus.

Retirement-Oriented
NPS is designed for retirement savings. It offers tax benefits and helps in building a retirement corpus. Consider investing regularly in NPS for a disciplined approach to retirement savings.

Diversified and Growth-Oriented
Investing in mutual funds is a great way to grow your wealth. You can choose from various types of mutual funds depending on your risk appetite.

These funds invest in stocks and have the potential for high returns. They are suitable for long-term goals. Actively managed equity funds can outperform index funds, offering better returns.

These funds invest in bonds and other debt instruments. They offer more stability than equity funds and are suitable for medium-term goals.

Balanced Funds
These funds invest in both equity and debt, providing a balanced risk-return profile. They are ideal for investors who want exposure to equity with less risk.

Regular and Disciplined Investing
Investing through SIP in mutual funds is a good strategy. It allows you to invest a fixed amount regularly, averaging out the cost and reducing market timing risks.

Gold Investments
Safe Haven Asset
Investing in gold can act as a hedge against inflation. Consider investing in gold ETFs or mutual funds for better liquidity and returns compared to physical gold.

Strategy for Achieving Your Financial Goals
Calculating the Required Savings
To determine how much you need to save monthly, consider your future financial needs. Assume a reasonable rate of return on your investments to estimate the corpus required.

Regular Savings and Investments
Start by saving a fixed percentage of your income. Increase your savings rate as your income grows. Use automated transfers to ensure you invest regularly without fail.

Review and Rebalance Your Portfolio
Regularly review your investment portfolio. Rebalance it annually to ensure it aligns with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Avoid Unnecessary Risks
Avoid high-risk investments that can lead to significant losses. Focus on a diversified portfolio that balances risk and return.

Tax Planning and Efficiency
Utilizing Tax Benefits
Maximize your investments in tax-saving instruments like PPF, NPS, and ELSS funds. This reduces your taxable income and increases your investable surplus.

Long-Term Capital Gains
Invest in equity instruments with a long-term perspective to benefit from lower capital gains tax.

The Role of a Certified Financial Planner
A Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can provide personalized advice based on your financial situation and goals. They can help you choose the right investments and plan for your future effectively.

Monitoring and Adjustments
A CFP can help monitor your progress and make necessary adjustments to your plan. This ensures you stay on track to achieve your goals.

Achieving your goal to retire at 40 requires disciplined savings and smart investments. Start by saving a significant portion of your income and investing it wisely. Utilize tax-efficient investment options and regularly review your portfolio.

Work with a Certified Financial Planner to create a tailored financial plan. This will help you navigate complex financial decisions and stay on track towards your goal.

Remember, the key to success is consistency and discipline. By following this approach, you can build a substantial corpus and enjoy financial independence by 40.

Best regards,

Hello sir, I have started my first job now with salary of 45k per month and I want to invest the money.. excluding 20k from the salary for my personal expense... Could you guide me proper roadmap for investing rest 25k money and where to invest and possible outcome in coming years
Ans: Congratulations on starting your first job and thinking about investing. You're making a smart move to secure your financial future. Let's create a detailed roadmap for investing Rs 25,000 per month from your salary.

Genuine Compliments and Empathy
Starting to invest early in your career is a fantastic decision. It shows you are serious about building a secure financial future. This proactive approach will help you achieve your financial goals.

Understanding Your Financial Goals
Investment Amount:

Rs 25,000 per month
Objective:

Build a substantial corpus over time
Ensure growth and financial security
Time Horizon:

Long-term investment for wealth creation
Types of Investments
To maximize returns and minimize risk, it's essential to diversify your investments. Here’s how you can allocate your Rs 25,000 monthly investment:

1. Equity Mutual Funds
Overview:

Equity mutual funds invest in stocks of various companies.
They offer potential for high returns over the long term.
Advantages:

Higher returns compared to other investment options.
Diversification reduces risk.
Risks:

Market risk: Value can fluctuate.
Requires a long-term horizon to ride out volatility.
Recommended Allocation:

Allocate Rs 10,000 per month to equity mutual funds.
Focus on large-cap and diversified equity funds for stability and growth.
2. Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)
Overview:

SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly in mutual funds.
They offer the benefit of rupee cost averaging and disciplined investing.
Advantages:

Reduces the impact of market volatility.
Makes investing affordable and regular.
Risks:

Subject to market risk.
Requires patience and consistency.
Recommended Allocation:

Continue with the Rs 10,000 allocation for equity mutual funds through SIPs.
This disciplined approach builds wealth over time.
3. Debt Mutual Funds
Overview:

Debt mutual funds invest in fixed-income securities like bonds and government securities.
They provide regular interest income and are less volatile than equity funds.
Advantages:

Lower risk compared to equities.
Provides stability to your portfolio.
Risks:

Interest rate risk: Value may decrease if interest rates rise.
Credit risk: Possibility of issuer default.
Recommended Allocation:

Allocate Rs 5,000 per month to debt mutual funds.
This creates a balanced portfolio and reduces overall risk.
4. Hybrid Funds
Overview:

Hybrid funds invest in a mix of equity and debt.
They offer a balanced approach to investing.
Advantages:

Diversification across asset classes.
Potential for growth with reduced risk.
Risks:

Market risk from equity component.
Interest rate and credit risks from debt component.
Recommended Allocation:

Allocate Rs 5,000 per month to hybrid funds.
This provides a balanced exposure to both equity and debt.
Tax-Advantaged Investments
To optimize your tax savings, consider investing in instruments that offer tax benefits.

1. Equity-Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS)
Overview:

ELSS funds are equity mutual funds that offer tax benefits under Section 80C.
They come with a lock-in period of three years.
Advantages:

Tax deduction up to Rs 1.5 lakh per year.
Potential for high returns.
Risks:

Market risk: Subject to equity market volatility.
Lock-in period: Funds are locked for three years.
Recommended Allocation:

If not already included in the Rs 10,000 SIP allocation, consider investing part of it in ELSS for tax benefits.
You already have a substantial emergency fund, which is great. Ensure it is accessible and sufficient for at least 6-12 months of expenses.

1. Liquid Funds
Overview:

Liquid funds invest in short-term debt instruments.
They offer quick access to funds with minimal risk.
Advantages:

High liquidity.
Better returns than a savings account.
Risks:

Lower returns compared to other debt funds.
Interest rate risk.
Recommended Allocation:

Keep a portion of your emergency fund in liquid funds.
This ensures quick access and better returns than a savings account.
Regular Monitoring and Rebalancing
Overview:

Regularly review your investment portfolio.
Rebalance your portfolio to maintain the desired asset allocation.
Advantages:

Keeps your investments aligned with your goals.
Reduces risk by maintaining diversification.
Recommended Actions:

Review your portfolio every six months.
Rebalance if any asset class deviates significantly from the desired allocation.
Power of Compounding
The power of compounding is your best friend in long-term investing. By reinvesting your returns, your money grows exponentially over time.

Overview:

Compounding is earning returns on your initial investment and the returns generated.
The longer you stay invested, the more your money grows.
Advantages:

Exponential growth of wealth.
Maximizes long-term returns.
Example:

Investing Rs 25,000 per month in a diversified portfolio can grow significantly over 10-15 years due to compounding.
While index funds are popular, they have some drawbacks compared to actively managed funds.

Limited Flexibility:

Index funds mirror the market and cannot adapt to changing conditions.
Actively managed funds can adjust to market trends and opportunities.
No Outperformance:

Index funds aim to match the market, not outperform it.
Actively managed funds can potentially deliver higher returns.
Recommended Approach:

Prefer actively managed funds through a Certified Financial Planner for tailored advice and potential outperformance.
Direct funds might seem attractive due to lower expense ratios, but they come with their own challenges.

Lack of Guidance:

Direct funds require you to make all investment decisions.
Investing through a Certified Financial Planner provides expert advice and tailored strategies.
Time-Consuming:

Managing direct funds can be time-consuming and complex.
Professional guidance simplifies the process and ensures informed decisions.
Recommended Approach:

Invest through regular funds with guidance from a Certified Financial Planner.
By following this roadmap, you can effectively invest Rs 25,000 per month and build a substantial corpus over time. Here's a summary of the steps:

Equity Mutual Funds:

Allocate Rs 10,000 per month.
Focus on large-cap and diversified funds.
Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Continue with disciplined SIP contributions.
Debt Mutual Funds:

Allocate Rs 5,000 per month.
Provides stability and regular income.
Hybrid Funds:

Allocate Rs 5,000 per month.
Balanced exposure to equity and debt.
ELSS for Tax Savings:

Consider part of SIP allocation for tax benefits.

Maintain liquidity and accessibility.
Regular Monitoring and Rebalancing:

Review and adjust your portfolio every six months.
By diversifying your investments and leveraging the power of compounding, you'll be well on your way to achieving your financial goals.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024