Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |312 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Dec 07, 2023

Komal Jethmalani is a practising dietician and nutritionist with over 26 years of experience.
She specialises in weight loss and diabetes management.
Jethmalani has completed her MSc in food and nutrition from SNDT University and trained at Jaslok Hospital.
Sumukh Question by Sumukh on Oct 18, 2023Hindi

What's the Best Breakfast for Diabetics? can they go with Samosa Kachori Upma and Poha ??

Ans: Meals for diabetics should consist of high fiber foods like vegetables, whole grains, fruits, beans, etc. and protein rich foods like low fat dairy products, eggs, lean meat, nuts, etc. Samosa and Kachori are deep fat fried foods which will increase harmful trans fats in your diet and increase calorie intake. Upma and Poha can be had in moderate quantity provided it contains vegetables, pulses or vegetables to blunt the glycemic index caused by the cereal. A good breakfast for type 2 diabetes should include complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and proteins to help regulate blood sugar levels. Some options include oatmeal with nuts and berries, whole grain toast with avocado and scrambled eggs, or a smoothie with fruits, vegetables, and protein foods like low fat dairy products or beans/pulses. It's also important to drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks. It's always a good idea to consult with a dietitian or healthcare provider for personalized advice.

Komal

Komal Jethmalani  |312 Answers  |Ask -

Dietician, Diabetes Expert - Answered on Oct 19, 2020

I am a 62-year-old man, weight 83 kgs, mostly sitting work, living in Noida.I am diabetic for over 25 years. I wake up in the morning between 5.30 am to 6 am and take warm water with lemon/alovera/giloy.I then walk for about 45 minutes.I take tea with two Marie biscuits and about 30-40 gms of namkeen.For breakfast, I have two chapattis/poha/sandwich/any item.Lunch is three chapattis of wheat/ragi+besan.Evening, I have small quantity of fruit -- apple or any seasonal fruit, but not banana.Dinner is at about 8 pm; I have two chapattis.I go to sleep between 10 pm and 10.30 pm.I take medicine with insulin but my sugar level fasting does remains 180-200.-- Saraf

Your situation may seem difficult to you, but it isn't reversible.

Diabetes with excess weight is a condition which can be overcome with healthy habits.

Lack of endurance and insulin resistance is a sign of uncontrolled sugar levels.

To bring a change, you must include aerobic and strengthening exercises which will increase your lean mass and metabolism.

Include healthy foods in your diet like oats, dalia, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans, which contain lots of fibre. This will help increase your metabolism and thereby reduce your blood sugar levels.

Protein-rich foods are necessary for sustenance, so include foods like dairy products, eggs (if permissible), lentils, nuts, soya, etc.

Reduce too much namkeen, which is not healthy and has lots of trans fats, salt and additional calories, which will spike the blood sugar levels.

A balanced diet that contains essential nutrients, and a modification of your habits, will result in a healthy lifestyle geared towards fitness.

I am 29 year old bengali female married to a Bihar guy. We know each other since college and we have been married for 3 years. Things began to turn bitter after few months of our marriage. My husband is a govt. Employee has seen extreme poverty in his childhood. I belong to upper middle class family. Both of our parents were against our marriage. Now his family especially mother pressurise him for money that is beyond our reach. She thinks I stop him to give money. She constantly abuses my husband. He has two elder brother who are good for nothing,both are married have kids and even they expect financial help from us. I am very tensed we can't even think of spending a penny for our personal enjoyment. My husband understands all these but everytime falls into prey of my MIL'S emotional drama. She fakes illness or fights for money. I can't even share this with my family.

I am very sorry to hear that you are in such a situation. It is indeed a very complex situation. Financial troubles can disrupt marital bliss. But it has to be addressed, even if it leads to conflicts. Speak to your husband about your concerns. Politely tell him that his family's demands and his response to them are causing a financial crisis in your home. Sit together and discuss how much financial support can you provide to his family and what's beyond reasonable. Have a monthly budget and since his family will continue asking for money, keep some money (what you have decided together) for the same. Keep an emergency fund and most importantly, have a decent amount of savings.

After all these discussions, if things still don't change, consider going for marriage counseling. You gave up an affluent life to be with him; he can surely give up certain things that are clearly unreasonable. A third neutral party can point this out without you having to say it.

You can also suggest your husband push his family members to get better jobs so that they can provide for themselves. Besides everything, don't forget to take care of yourself. Be in touch with your family and share your worries with someone close to you. And maintain regular check-ins with your husband. It can't be easy on him either.

Which institution is best to subscribe for online prepation of JEE. Candidate here has also joined a offline/regular classes in a small town. Please suggest.
Ans: ALLEN Online Test Series. User-friendly / Instant Result with Answers and Time Taken for Each Question.

Some IMPORTANT Preparation Strategies for JEE Preparation: (Wherever the Subject 'You' is used here, it refers for your Candidate). (1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & avoid soft drinks (5) Every day nigh, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practizing questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 11th / 12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyze your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Make 100% utilization of 'Doubt Clearing Sessions' of Offline Class you have joined. All the BEST.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please ask / FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

I am 37 years old , and having 2.10 lacs salary in hand, I have SIP of Rs. 20k, apart from SIP I have invested in stock current market value is 10L, I have three flats which is cost approx 2.5 cr, i have a home loan as well of 35 lacs. Kindly guide me how I can achieve the milestone of 10 crore corpus in next 15 years.
Ans: Achieving a significant corpus like Rs. 10 crores in 15 years requires careful planning, disciplined investing, and leveraging various assets and investment avenues. Let's explore a comprehensive strategy to reach this financial milestone.

Current Financial Snapshot
Income and Investments
At 37 years old, with a salary of Rs. 2.10 lakhs per month, you have a solid foundation. Here's a snapshot of your current investments:

SIP Investment: Rs. 20,000 per month
Stock Investments: Current market value of Rs. 10 lakhs
Real Estate Holdings: Three flats valued at approximately Rs. 2.5 crores
Liabilities: Home loan of Rs. 35 lakhs
Strategic Roadmap to Achieve Rs. 10 Crore Corpus
1. Optimize Investment Portfolio
Review Existing Investments
Evaluate the performance and alignment of your current investments with long-term goals:

Stocks: Assess the potential for growth and consider diversification if necessary.
Real Estate: While real estate is valuable, ensure it aligns with your liquidity needs and financial goals. Consider rental income potential versus capital appreciation.
SIPs: Continue disciplined investing. Evaluate if the current SIP amount needs to be increased to meet the Rs. 10 crore target.
2. Increase Savings and Investments
Maximizing Monthly Contributions
Increase SIP Amount: Depending on your surplus income, consider increasing the SIP amount gradually. This accelerates wealth accumulation.
Bonus and Windfalls: Direct any windfall gains towards investments rather than discretionary spending.
3. Diversification and Risk Management
Balancing Risk and Return
Asset Allocation: Diversify across asset classes such as equity, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or international funds.
Risk Management: Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to mitigate risks associated with market volatility.
4. Debt Management
Addressing Home Loan
Early Repayment: Explore options to accelerate home loan repayment to reduce interest burden and improve cash flow for investments.
Debt Consolidation: Consolidate high-interest debts if applicable to streamline finances and improve liquidity for investments.
5. Investment Avenues
Exploring Options Beyond SIPs
Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed funds can potentially outperform passive funds like index funds due to strategic decisions by fund managers.
Debt Instruments: Consider debt funds for stability and regular income, balancing the portfolio against equity market fluctuations.
Systematic Transfer Plans (STP): Utilize STPs to stagger lump sum investments into equity funds, reducing timing risks.
6. Professional Guidance and Monitoring
Leveraging Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Holistic Financial Planning: Engage with a CFP to develop a customized financial plan considering income, investments, goals, and risk appetite.
Periodic Reviews: Regularly review investment performance and adjust strategies based on changing life circumstances and market conditions.
Addressing Existing Policies and Investments
7. Insurance and Investment Policies
Surrender and Reinvest
LIC, ULIPs, Investment cum Insurance Policies: Evaluate existing policies for surrender value and consider reinvesting in more lucrative investment avenues like mutual funds for better returns.
Legal and Recovery Aspects
8. Recovering Debt
Legal Recourse
Documentation: Gather all evidence and communication related to the debt owed by your friend.
Legal Consultation: Seek legal advice to explore options like sending legal notices, mediation, or filing a suit in a court of law if necessary.
Financial Impact: While pursuing legal action, continue focusing on building your financial assets through disciplined investments.
Achieving a corpus of Rs. 10 crores in 15 years demands a balanced approach involving disciplined savings, strategic investments, and proactive debt management. Leveraging existing assets like stocks and real estate alongside increasing SIPs and exploring diverse investment avenues is key. Engaging with a Certified Financial Planner ensures a structured approach, optimizing your path towards financial independence and security.

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |194 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Jun 21, 2024

I am 77 years old. I was taking medicine for high BP from the age of 50 years.I was very active doing yoga regularly in the morning and doing walk in the evening. I do not smoke and do not drink as well. I am a person with height weight normal as per the standard chart. I was very active doing my job and never use to get tired. I worked for six years in Central Govt, thirty years in PSU and seventeen years in Private Organisations. I used to believe that " a Person should never retire from work". I stopped going to work from March 2020 after the Covid 19 spread in India. During a routine check up, my doctor mentioned on my prescription as "Stable Angina". I asked about it but he replied, it is nothing, do not worry. I was not having any pain etc. But this remark of Stable Angina. was written on my prescription on every visit. In June 2022, I got a CT Angiography done just to know the deposits in my arteries. It was found to be more in all the five arteries. But I had no symptoms of any pain or breathlessness while moving or working.In August 2022, I got some problem in my left eye, went to eye specialist, he observed a little deposit in eye nerve. He tried to break it but could not. I went for Angiography. All the arteries were found with deposits but still I had no pain etc. I was operated for Heart By pass Surgery on 22.9.22 and released from Hospital on 1.10.22. I was put on High Protein Diet. During Jan 23 to July 23, my Blood Urea Nitrogen & Urea got up the required level.High Protein Diet was stopped and advised take more Fruits. BUN & Urea came normal. More fruits were being taken. It caused potassium level to go up. Then in fruits also restriction imposed on banana, coconut water & citrus fruits. Now I am on restricted diet. BUN & Urea are normal but potassium remains fluctuating. Now I am alright but feel very weak. I do little walk but get tired soon. I am not able to do yoga due to low energy. Vitamin supplements are being taken but not getting strength. Even feels stability problem. While standing feels giddiness and feels that i may fall. I am also feeling severe pain in my arms muscles. Now I am taking medicines for BP, Cholesterol, Blood Thinner, Enlarged Prostrate Gland, Vitamin supplement. I always think why I am feeling so many problems after Heart Bye Pass Surgery. Please advise.
Ans: I feel you need your medications adjusted. They're probably making you feel like this.