Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Dec 30, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more

Hello, My child is in class 8 kolkata. I want him to pursue college in USA. Does he have to give SAT, ACT or do IB or Cambridge AICE.. Please guide. Thank you

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your child is currently studying in the 8th grade and you want him to pursue college in the USA. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that scores of standardized tests viz., the ACT or SAT are required to secure admission to a number of colleges in the USA. These exams aid colleges in evaluating a student's preparedness for studies at the college level. I would like to tell you that although a solid intellectual foundation can be offered by programs like the International Baccalaureate (IB) or Cambridge AICE, a number of colleges in the USA do not accept them as alternatives to the SAT/ACT.

I would recommend that you motivate your child to study for the ACT or SAT, and make sure he very well understands the unique prerequisites of the universities he wishes to apply to. Not just that, your son might also consider taking SAT Subject Tests as advised or mandated by certain universities. Remember, maintaining a high academic standing and participating in extracurricular activities, frequently influence US college admissions, and thus, your son should focus on the same.

Sir, My son has secured a rank of 8680 in TS EAMCET and 4998 in AP EAMCET. As counseling in both states has not yet started, we are exploring various options. I have come to know that VIT-AP is offering seats through AP EAMCET. Additionally, he has received the following offers: - CSE at SRM Ramapuram - ECE at Amrita Nagercoil - CSE at KIIT Bhubaneswar Please suggest the best colleges in order of preference, keeping in mind my son's interest in pursuing CSE, preferably in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana where he may get a seat. Thank you.
Ans: Vijay Sir, Order of Preference (as you prefer AP / Telangana First) (1) VIT-AP (2) KIIT-Bhubaneswar (3) Any one of the Top 5-Colleges in AP through TS-EAMCET or AP-EAMCET (4) CSE-SRM. Please ignore ECE-Amrita-Nagercoil which is totally down-TN. Whatever Institute / University & Branch your Son chooses, he should keep upgrading his skills from his 1st year itself till his Campus Placement during his last year, from LinkedIn, Coursera, NPTEL, Internshala etc. and / or any other online platforms, recommended by his College Faculties, to be COMPETENT among other Students. All the BEST Vijay Sir, for your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs, | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Management Quota Admission Ideal or Not? | How to Prepare for Campus Recruitment? | Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Labour Laws | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad) | SOP Writing Tips’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.