IIT-JEE, NEET-UG, SAT, CLAT, CA, CS Exam Expert - Answered on May 05, 2024

Mayank Chandel has over 18 years of experience coaching and training students for various exams like IIT-JEE, NEET-UG, SAT, CLAT, CA and CS.
Besides coaching students for entrance exams, he also guides Class 10 and 12 students about career options in engineering, medicine and the vocational sciences.
His interest in coaching students led him to launch the firm, CareerStreets.
Deejay Question by Deejay on Apr 27, 2024Hindi

My son is doing MBBS from SEU university Georgia [European Union] is the degree valid to practice in India

Ans: Hello Deejay
Degree is valid in India, your son needs to do an internship in India & qualify the NEXT exam (earlier it was FMGE) to practice in India.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Apr 24, 2024

Indian MBBS degree is Not recognized by USA. How can anyone study MD there?
Ans: Hello Alphones,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. As an answer to your query, I would like to let you know that if a person holding an Indian MBBS degree wishes to study Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the USA, he/she will generally require to undergo a procedure known as "medical residency." There are numerous steps that one will need to consider. Mentioned below is the same:

As the first step, to ascertain whether the candidate qualifies for a license in the US, they will need to get their educational qualifications assessed by organizations viz., the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Secondly, they will need to clear the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK), and Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS). Remember that one’s knowledge and abilities to practice medicine in the USA are evaluated through these exams. Thirdly, upon clearing the exams, they will be required to apply for residency posts using the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) or similar matching initiatives. Bear in mind that residency programs are highly competitive, and applicants need to show their qualifications and compatibility with the program. After being matched, students enroll in a residency training course in the field of specialization they have opted for. Based on the area of expertise, residency training usually takes three to seven years to complete. Lastly, after having completed residency training, students have the option to become board-certified in their field. They can do so by clearing extra tests that the relevant specialist board administers.

I would like to let you know that although an MBBS from India might not automatically qualify someone to practise medicine in the US, they can still pursue a medical career in the country by completing a medical residency program, as long as they meet the prerequisites and conditions.