HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Apr 16, 2024

R P Yadav is the founder, chairman and managing director of Genius Consultants Limited, a 30-year-old human resources solutions company.
Over the years, he has been the recipient of numerous awards including the Lifetime Achievement Award from World HR Congress and HR Person Of The Year from Public Relations Council of India.

My daughter is studying M.Sc. Biotech in SRM University, Chennai. Which education after M.Sc Biotech can be better for good jobs?

Ans: Hi,
M.Sc. in Biotech is a post graduate course. It is suggested to go for a job after the course. On completion of a year or two on the job, you may look for another course depending on exposure and interest.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jan 08, 2024

My daughter is in third year of B.Sc.. Biotech from kelkar college Mulund. I would like to know what could be her post graduation options within India and abroad. Also if you could guide on how can she can prepare now (other than good grades) to start good career after her studies?
Ans: Hello Mahendra,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to know that your daughter is currently pursuing the 3rd year of her Bachelor’s of Science in Biotechnology and thereafter wishes to pursue her postgraduate studies. Concerning your question as to what could be her PG options within India and abroad, I would like to let you know that we only deal with overseas education. You would be glad to hear that there exist a plethora of choices for a graduate in B.Sc. Biotech wishing to pursue post-graduation overseas. Nations viz., the United Kingdom, Germany, the United States, Australia, or Canada, are regarded for their robust biotech industries, and your daughter could look into the postgraduate programs offered in the fields of Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or other associated areas of study in these countries. I would also recommend that she conducts an all-round study on universities well-known for the programs they offer in her preferred field of study, as well as investigates their prerequisites for admission, viz., English competency tests like the IELTS or TOEFL, or standardized tests like the GRE. As an answer to your query on how she can prepare now (other than good grades) to embark on a good career post her studies, I would like to say that your daughter, alongside maintaining strong grades, can engage in internship opportunities or take up jobs of a research assistant to acquire pertinent research experience, actively participate in extracurricular activities associated with her field of interest, craft a compelling SOP that outlines her educational objectives and ambitions, as well as build meaningful connections with academics or industry experts to boost her profile. Her opportunities for a successful job after graduation can be enhanced by staying abreast with developments in the field of biotechnology through online classes, seminars, and conferences.

I am 37 and my husband is 41....married for 13 years have a son ....12...and a daughter 10....want to have more kids ...but he has lots of familial...social and business responsibilities...also ...he smokes...but financially we both r comfortably well off..right now his business is a little difficult as he has to be in Mizoram...I am from central I doa n he is from Bangalore...I have lost both my parents....but have support of my siblings ..he has lots of issues with his mom sister... He has another wife n two daughters from her 6 and 4...that was a situation it happened...which I can't explain...right now...but anyways ...I have come to terms with it... What do I do to.convince him...he has already taken a lot of money and jewellery from me...plus inhave always been fulfilling joint family responsibilies...as all relatives kept coming to our house...wedding s engagements.and all...at our house....some wud even stay for months...now it's better but still our sex life...is very bad....very rare ..hardly any...he is good to me n is an upright man and an upright father ...
Ans: First, it’s important to take a step back and consider the broader context of your marriage. You’ve been together for 13 years and have built a life that includes managing extensive familial and social responsibilities. Your husband's current challenges with his business in Mizoram, coupled with his obligations from his other marriage and children, add layers of complexity. Recognizing and acknowledging these pressures is essential in understanding his potential hesitations.

When approaching the topic of expanding your family, try to create a space for open and honest dialogue. Choose a time when you both are relaxed and not distracted by daily stresses. Start by expressing your own feelings and desires gently. Share why having another child is important to you and how you envision it enriching your family. It’s helpful to frame this in terms of shared dreams and the joy that children bring, rather than focusing on it as a need or demand.

However, it’s equally important to listen to his perspective. Given the strain of his business and the complexities of managing multiple familial commitments, he might have valid concerns about adding more responsibilities. Explore these concerns with empathy and without judgment. Understanding his fears and pressures can open up avenues for finding solutions together.

Discussing his health, particularly his smoking, can also be a sensitive but necessary topic. Smoking can affect both his health and fertility, and it’s something that should be addressed openly. Encourage a conversation about his well-being, focusing on how improving health can benefit him personally and potentially improve your sex life, which you’ve noted has been infrequent. This could lead to exploring ways to enhance intimacy and connection, which might be a critical factor in your decision to have more children.

Financial stability, as you mentioned, is a positive aspect, but it’s essential to ensure that both of you feel emotionally and mentally prepared for another child. It might help to discuss how the financial aspects can support hiring help or making other arrangements to ease the burden of additional responsibilities.

Given the complexities with his other family, it's vital to consider how another child will impact all involved, including your existing children and his daughters from his other marriage. Ensuring that your household can provide the emotional support and stability for another child is crucial.

Given your supportive siblings, perhaps they could help in some ways, providing a bit of relief from your joint family responsibilities. This could potentially make the idea of expanding your family seem less daunting to your husband.

Finally, reflecting on your own needs and boundaries is equally important. If there are aspects of your relationship or family dynamics that feel unbalanced or unaddressed, consider seeking professional counseling. A therapist can provide a neutral space for both of you to explore these issues and find a path forward that honors both your desires and the realities of your life together.

In conclusion, approaching this conversation with empathy, understanding, and a readiness to listen and compromise is key. It’s about finding a balance that respects both of your wishes and the practicalities of your shared life.