Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 15, 2024

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
SURESH Question by SURESH on Jun 14, 2024Hindi

My daughter is doing PhD in ecology and wanted to pursue her career in outside country. Please advice.

Ans: Hello SURESH,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your daughter is currently pursuing her PhD in Ecology after which she intends pursuing her career abroad. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that for your daughter, pursuing an ecological profession overseas can be a fulfilling choice. As the first step, I would recommend that your daughter investigates institutions and organizations in countries renowned for robust ecological research programs, viz., Australia, the USA, Canada, or European nations viz., the Netherlands, Sweden, and Germany. Bear in mind that networking is essential, and for the same I would suggest that she participates in international conferences, joins professional organizations, and interacts with experts in her field. Your daughter can also think about aplying for postdoctoral jobs that can offer invaluable experience and assist her in buiding a professional network in a foreign nation.

Moreover, your daughter should learn about the particular prerequisites and prospects in the countries she’s considering. This entails acquainting herself with visa guidelines, possibilities for funding, and labor market trends. To further help her relocate, she can also apply for scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships from universities and international organizations. Furthermore, I would like to tell you that acquiring good linguistic abilities, if applicable, and comprehending the host country’s cultural and professional standards will be beneficial. All in all, your daughter has a much better chance of landing a job in ecology overseas if she takes a proactive and thoroughly researched approach.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 16, 2023

Sir, My daughter has completed MBBS from Ukraine. Is it ok to send her abroad to make future prospectus? what is your advice.. which country is better?, What is the cost involved?
Ans: Hello Yadav,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am pleased to hear that your daughter has completed her MBBS from Ukraine. Concerning your query as to whether it is okay to send your daughter abroad, I would like to tell you that although it can be a wise decision and an excellent chance to send her to another country to either pursue further education or to start her profession, this decision should be well thought of. Next, to decide as to which country would be ideal, I would like to say that your daughter’s preferred field of study, her professional ambitions, the cost, as well as the linguistic preferences, play a prominent role in deciding this. On completing an MBBS degree, Canada, Australia, the USA, the UK, as well as several European nations are among the sought-after locations to pursue higher education.

The tuition fees, housing costs, costs of living, and other associated expenditures are all included in the cost to study overseas. Your daughter should take into account these costs. However, remember that based on the country your daughter decides to study in and her preferred university or course, these costs can differ. Moreover, to reduce the cost of studying abroad, a number of scholarships and possibilities for monetary assistance are available that your daughter should consider. I would recommend that your daughter conducts an extensive study on the universities and programs in the countries of her choosing, whilst taking into account the educational standards, employment prospects post graduation, as well as the immigration guidelines, prior to making an informed choice. Moreover, to receive useful advice based on your daughter's personal circumstances and goals, she should get in touch with academic advisors or career counselors.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Apr 23, 2024

Dear Sushil, My daughter ( only child) is doing her final year from Amity -Mumbai, Bsc-Clinical Psychology. She wants to go abroad .Which will be good country. What will be the Expenses and whether the career has scope abroad.
Ans: Hello MANOJ,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your daughter is pursuing the final year of her Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Clinical Psychology and thereafter, wishes to pursue higher studies overseas. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that a number of variables viz., your daughter’s interests, the budget, the preferred field of psychology she intends specializing in, and her professional objectives, play a key role in deciding on a country to pursue higher studies and a career in clinical psychology. Concerning your question, I would recommend that she considers the following:

The USA is home to prestigious universities that offer outstanding clinical psychology programs. Nevertheless, costs can be high, including living expenses, tuition fees, and healthcare. Although assistantships and scholarships are available, they are highly competitive. You would be glad to know that the job prospects in the USA is enormous with opportunities in research, diverse healthcare environments, academia, as well as patient care. Next, coming to Canada, the country’s top-notch instruction and multicultural setting is well-regarded. Remember, in comparison to the USA, expenditures may be comparatively lower. However, it still calls for proper financial planning. Offering possibilities in academia, research, and practice, clinical psychology is a legally regulated profession in Canada. Universities in the UK offer exceptional programs in psychology. I would like to tell you that based on the location and the university opted for, costs may differ. Possibilities for research, teaching, and clinical practice, are offered by the country. Nevertheless, bear in mind that post-Brexit visa rules could have an impact on overseas students. Noteworthy programs in psychology are offered by universities in Australia. Remember that although expenditures can range from low to high, scholarships are available. Offering possibilities in research, clinical practice, and other mental health services, in Australia, clinical psychology is a legally regulated profession. Coming to Netherlands, the country is renowned for its advanced approaches to psychology and mental healthcare. Programs in the Netherlands are often taught in English, and tuition fees for overseas students are relatively cheaper. The employment opportunities include research, clinical practice, and policy development.

Prior to deciding on a country, I would suggest that your daughter conducts an extensive study on the visa prerequisites, demand in the labor market, licensing procedures for practicing psychologists, as well as the cultural aspects pertaining to each country. Not just that, she should also acquire counsel from professional advisors or educational counselors, as well as get in touch with experts in the field of her choosing.

Is unrated safe to invest Sbi advantage Icici pru opportunities????
Ans: Unrated funds, like SBI Balanced Advantage and ICICI Pru Opportunities, lack official ratings from agencies. This doesn't necessarily mean they are bad options. It simply means they haven't been evaluated by rating agencies yet. This could be due to the funds being relatively new or less popular.

Risks and Considerations
Higher Risk
Unrated funds come with higher uncertainty. They do not have a track record to assess their performance and risk profile. This makes it challenging to predict their future performance.

Potential Rewards
Despite the higher risk, unrated funds can offer potential rewards. New funds often aim to attract investors by performing well initially. However, this is not guaranteed and requires careful consideration.

Investing in Funds with Better Track Records
Proven Performance
It is advisable to invest in funds with a proven track record. These funds have historical data showing how they perform in different market conditions. This provides more confidence in their future performance.

Stability and Reliability
Funds with better track records have demonstrated their ability to manage market volatility. They offer more stability and reliability, which is crucial for long-term investment goals.

Active vs. Index Funds
Actively managed funds can outperform the market. Skilled fund managers make strategic decisions based on market conditions. This can lead to higher returns, especially in volatile markets.

Regular vs. Direct Funds
Advantages of Regular Funds
Investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) provides professional guidance. CFPs help with fund selection and portfolio management. This ensures your investments align with your financial goals.

Investing in unrated funds like SBI Balanced Advantage and ICICI Pru Opportunities carries higher risk due to the lack of track record. It is generally safer to invest in funds with proven performance and a stable track record. Consulting with a Certified Financial Planner can help you make informed decisions and build a diversified portfolio.

I am 30, married 2 years back. I earn around 1.08 lacs and wife earns around 70k. House rent is 30k. Car rent is 18k pending for 4 years more.Have almost no savings just emergency fund of 3L. Invest only in MF 18k pm and LIC 5k per month. Give 30-40k to parents monthly. Possible to generate 2 cr in 15 years? If yes then pls suggest
Ans: Current Financial Situation

You and your wife have a combined monthly income of Rs. 1.78 lakhs. Your monthly expenses include house rent of Rs. 30,000 and car rent of Rs. 18,000 for the next four years. You have an emergency fund of Rs. 3 lakhs and invest Rs. 18,000 per month in mutual funds and Rs. 5,000 per month in LIC. Additionally, you provide Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 40,000 to your parents monthly.

Goal Assessment

You aim to generate Rs. 2 crores in 15 years. This is achievable with disciplined savings and strategic investments.

Income and Expenses Analysis

Your combined income is Rs. 1.78 lakhs per month. After deducting rent (Rs. 48,000) and parental support (Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 40,000), you have around Rs. 1 lakh left for other expenses, savings, and investments.

Current Investments

Mutual Funds: Rs. 18,000 per month
LIC: Rs. 5,000 per month
Investment Strategy Recommendations

Increase Monthly Savings

Try to increase your savings rate. Even a small increase in monthly savings can significantly impact your long-term goals.

Maximise Mutual Fund Investments

Continue with your mutual fund investments. Consider increasing the amount gradually. Mutual funds, especially equity funds, can offer higher returns over the long term.

Review LIC Policy

Review your LIC policy. If it is not yielding good returns, consider surrendering it. Reinvest the amount in mutual funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner before making any decisions.

Maintain your emergency fund. Ensure it covers 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be in a liquid or easily accessible account.

Car rent will continue for four more years. Once completed, redirect this amount to your savings and investments. Reducing debt will free up more funds for investments.

Retirement and Contingency Planning

Consider investing in a mix of equity and debt funds for a balanced portfolio. Consult a Certified Financial Planner to tailor this mix to your risk tolerance and goals.

Action Plan to Achieve Rs. 2 Crores

Increase Mutual Fund SIPs: Gradually increase your monthly SIPs in mutual funds. Aim to invest a higher portion of your surplus income.

Review Insurance Needs: Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance coverage. Review and adjust your policies as needed.

Long-term Investments: Focus on long-term equity investments. These can provide higher returns compared to other instruments.

Monitor and Rebalance Portfolio: Regularly review your portfolio. Rebalance it to align with your financial goals and market conditions.

Lifestyle Adjustments

Control Discretionary Spending: Reduce unnecessary expenses. This will help you save more.

Joint Planning with Spouse: Work together with your spouse on financial planning. Joint efforts can amplify your savings and investments.

Achieving Rs. 2 crores in 15 years is possible. Increase your savings and strategic investments. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for personalised advice.

I am 41 years old , with In-hand salary of 1.26L , Wife salary 79K , Home loan remaining 22 Laks for 11 years , Started Saving recently in Mutual Funds with Target of 40-50K investment per month , Invested 40K in HDFC small cap fund direct , Quant Focused 30K , Quant infrastructure 35K , quant small cap 60K , 50K in Quant ELss. Please suggest the Investment proportion and suggestive investment amount for comfortable retirement and Child Higher education
Ans: Overview of Current Financial Situation
You are 41 years old with an in-hand salary of Rs. 1.26 lakhs and your wife earns Rs. 79,000. You have a home loan balance of Rs. 22 lakhs for 11 years. You have recently started investing in mutual funds with a target of Rs. 40-50k per month. Your current investments are:

Rs. 40k in a small cap fund
Rs. 30k in a focused fund
Rs. 35k in an infrastructure fund
Rs. 60k in a small cap fund
Rs. 50k in an ELSS fund
Investment Proportion Analysis
Your portfolio is heavily skewed towards small cap and sector-specific funds. This strategy can be risky. Diversification is essential to balance risks and returns. Consider a mix of large cap, mid cap, and hybrid funds. This approach provides stability and growth.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds can offer higher returns compared to index funds. Fund managers use expertise to navigate market conditions. This advantage can outweigh the typically higher expense ratios.

Regular vs Direct Funds
Investing in regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) has benefits. CFPs offer professional advice, ongoing support, and portfolio adjustments. This guidance can help you achieve your financial goals effectively. Direct funds lack this personalized service and can be challenging to manage alone.

Suggested Investment Allocation
Large Cap Funds
Large cap funds provide stability. Allocate 25-30% of your monthly investment here. They are less volatile and offer steady returns over time.

Mid Cap Funds
Mid cap funds offer a balance between risk and return. Allocate 20-25% here. They have the potential for higher growth compared to large caps.

Balanced or Hybrid Funds
These funds combine equity and debt. They provide a cushion against market volatility. Allocate 15-20% of your investments in hybrid funds.

Small Cap and Sectoral Funds
Limit your exposure to small cap and sectoral funds to 20-25%. They can be volatile and should be balanced with more stable investments.

ELSS Funds
ELSS funds offer tax benefits under Section 80C. They also provide growth opportunities. Allocate 10-15% here, considering your tax-saving needs.

Monthly Investment Plan
Given your target of Rs. 40-50k per month, here is a suggested allocation:

Large Cap Funds: Rs. 10-12k
Mid Cap Funds: Rs. 8-10k
Balanced or Hybrid Funds: Rs. 6-8k
Small Cap and Sectoral Funds: Rs. 8-10k
ELSS Funds: Rs. 6-8k
Planning for Retirement and Child's Education
Estimate your retirement corpus based on your current lifestyle. Aim for a corpus that can sustain you comfortably. Consider inflation and rising expenses. Start a systematic investment plan (SIP) in diversified funds. Regular reviews with a CFP can keep your plan on track.

Child's Higher Education
Calculate the future cost of education. Consider inflation and rising fees. Start an SIP in diversified funds focused on education goals. ULIPs or other insurance-linked investments may not be ideal. Mutual funds offer better returns and flexibility.

Your current investment strategy is aggressive. Balancing it with large cap and hybrid funds will reduce risk. Investing regularly and reviewing your portfolio periodically is crucial. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for tailored advice. This ensures your goals of comfortable retirement and child's education are met.

Hello Sir I am Naveen and i am 31 years old, I am planning to retire at the age of 50 with 5 Cr and monthly income 1 L My Investment is PPF 400000 ULIP 250000 FD 100000 EPF 300000 NPS 200000(every year 50000 ) Stock 800000 MF 700000 Child plan Own house, taken Health insurance 20 L and Term insurance 1 Cr . Please advise me how much i need to increase my investment for my better retirement
Ans: Assessment of Current Financial Situation

You have diversified your investments across various financial instruments. Your goal to retire at 50 with Rs. 5 crore and a monthly income of Rs. 1 lakh is achievable with proper planning.

Current Investments

PPF: Rs. 4,00,000
ULIP: Rs. 2,50,000
FD: Rs. 1,00,000
EPF: Rs. 3,00,000
NPS: Rs. 2,00,000 (Rs. 50,000 yearly)
Stock: Rs. 8,00,000
Mutual Funds: Rs. 7,00,000
Child Plan: Amount not specified
Own House
Health Insurance: Rs. 20 lakh
Term Insurance: Rs. 1 crore
Financial Goals Analysis

Your goal requires disciplined saving and strategic investments. Let’s evaluate each aspect:

PPF is a safe investment. It offers tax benefits and guaranteed returns. However, its limit restricts the amount you can invest yearly.

Unit Linked Insurance Plan (ULIP)

ULIP combines insurance and investment. It may not be the best for high returns. Consider reviewing its performance and charges.

Fixed Deposit (FD)

FDs provide security but lower returns. Inflation can erode their value. Consider keeping only a portion in FDs.

Employees' Provident Fund (EPF)

EPF is a stable option for long-term savings. It provides decent returns and tax benefits. Continue contributing.

NPS is beneficial for retirement. It offers market-linked returns and tax benefits. Your current contribution of Rs. 50,000 yearly is good.

Stock Market

Stocks can yield high returns but come with risks. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio. Diversify to mitigate risks.

Mutual funds are good for wealth creation. Choose funds based on your risk appetite. Consider consulting a Certified Financial Planner for advice on fund selection.

Child Plan

Ensure the plan meets your child’s future education needs. Evaluate its performance and adjust if necessary.

Health and Term Insurance

You have sufficient coverage. Ensure to review and increase if needed with inflation.

Additional Investment Recommendations

To achieve your retirement goal, you need to increase investments. Here’s how:

Increase Mutual Fund Investments

Mutual funds offer potential for high returns. Increase SIPs in diversified equity mutual funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner to choose the best funds.

Review and Adjust ULIP

Evaluate the charges and performance of ULIPs. If returns are low, consider surrendering and reinvesting in mutual funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for advice.

Maximize NPS Contributions

Increase your NPS contributions. It will enhance your retirement corpus and provide tax benefits.

Invest in Stocks Wisely

Continue investing in stocks. Diversify across sectors and regularly review. Stay updated with market trends.

Maintain an emergency fund. Ensure it’s 6-12 months of your expenses. Park it in liquid funds for easy access.

Without specific calculations, aim to increase your investments by 10-15% annually. This will help you reach your Rs. 5 crore goal.

Your current investment strategy is strong. However, regular review and adjustments are crucial. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice. Stay disciplined and focused on your goals.