Praseeja

Praseeja Nambiar  |32 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counselling Expert - Answered on May 05, 2023

An internationally certified career coach, Praseeja Nambiar works as a counsellor at the Stonehill International School, Bengaluru.
In the last nine years, she has helped over 1,000 students with their admissions into Indian and international universities.
Nambiar received her training from Global Career Counselling and the University of California, LA (UCLA) Extension and is certified as a career coach by Certified Career Services Provider.
She contributes to the International Career and College Counselling institute by training other counsellors across the globe.
soni Question by soni on Mar 27, 2023Hindi

Hi Sir, My daughter is confused about which subject to choose after 10th. Need your expert advice here. Below are her traits and career aspiration: # First choice of her career is to appear in UPSC and be a IAS/IPS. But, has a fear about not clearing it, than what? So, other option should be open. # She dont want to have a 9 to 5 Job. # She is good at Maths but she dont like to solve complex problems. # Confused with Bio/Commerce and humanities which one would be good for her ? # at last, she want to earn lots of money ?

Ans: Hi Soni

Based on the information that you have provided, I feel humanities will be a good fit for her. Commerce has a lot of accounting math. I am not sure if she will enjoy that. With humanities, she can study social sciences / liberal arts and simultaneously prepare for UPSC. As a second option, she can then try for entrepreneurship related areas where she has freedom and flexibility. I would also urge to identify any creative pursuits if she has. Creative careers are on the rise and also pay well.

IIT-JEE, NEET-UG, SAT, CLAT, CA, CS Exam Expert - Answered on Apr 05, 2023

Ans: It's great that your daughter has clear career aspirations, but it's important to remember that there are multiple paths to achieving them. Here are some points to consider:

UPSC is a highly competitive exam, and the success rate is relatively low. So, it's always good to have a backup plan. While pursuing her studies, your daughter can also prepare for other government exams, such as the state civil services or bank exams, as these can also offer good career prospects. But here, it will be a 9 to 5 job, as you said she doesn't want a 9-5 job.

Also If she doesn't want a 9 to 5 job, then she can consider careers in law, journalism, or entrepreneurship. These fields offer a lot of flexibility and the opportunity to work on her own terms.

If she is good at maths but doesn't like to solve complex problems, then she can consider commerce as an option. A career in finance or accounting can be a good fit for her.

Humanities can also be a good option for her if she is interested in subjects like history, geography, or political science. These fields can also help her in her UPSC preparations.

Lastly, while earning lots of money is a valid goal, it's important to also consider other factors like job satisfaction and work-life balance. Your daughter should choose a career that aligns with her interests and passions, rather than just focusing on the financial aspect.

Overall, encourage your daughter to explore different fields and subjects, and to keep an open mind about her career options. With hard work and dedication, she can achieve success in any field she chooses.

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.