Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 05, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Prasanna Question by Prasanna on Jun 30, 2023Hindi

Sir, my son just completed his MS from university of colarado, MS is CS, he did his internship also in good company, due to recession there is bleak openings, what is your advice sir, whether to look back to motherland or to keep looking for opening there for some more time

Ans: Hello Prasanna,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I understand your anxiety regarding your son's job possibilities after earning his MS in Computer Science at the University of Colorado. The job market can be difficult, particularly during times of recession. For the purpose of deciding whether to hunt for employment in the United States or move back to his own country, it is advised that your son take into account the following factors:

1. Analyze the employment situation in both places.
2. Consider his immigration situation and work permit.
3. Consider his professional network and relationships.
4. Consider his long-term professional objectives and the opportunities available.
5. Consider the financial consequences of each option.
6. Consider personal preferences, as well as cultural and lifestyle influences.
7. During the job search process, be tenacious and patient.
8. Use the time to network and gain new skills.

Finally, the decision should be based on a blend of practical and personal preferences.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 15, 2023

Sushiolj sir. My son has completed his MS in Computer Science from University of Colorado, Boulder( one and a half months back), Due t o recession as of now he has no job and searching for a job, there itself. before going to US he has four years exp in soft ware field, whether he should stay for some more time or he should see a job in India itself, what is your personal opinion please.
Ans: Hello Prasanna,

Aashish

Aashish Sood  |114 Answers  |Ask -

CAT, Management Expert - Answered on Nov 24, 2023

My son is a B Tech (2015 from APJA Univ. UPTECH) and MBA in Marketing (2021 from DTU). Since 2016 he has been engaged with TCS (3 years in IT & 2 year in Marketing after completion of MBA ). He is now looking for a better carrier growth in Marketing. Due to less career growth with present employer and after completion of his MBA, he looks forward for a better opportunity. In market he is not able to get better opportunity. He has been trying various organization but not able to get any result. Can you suggest how he can get a better option with regard to career and financially. I think this the right time to have a change for better career growth. Presently he is 30 years old.
Ans: Certainly, I can provide some advice for someone looking to enhance their career

1. I would your son to evaluate his skills, strengths, and weaknesses. Consider the long-term career goals and the industries or roles that align with them.

2. Attend industry events, conferences, and seminars to expand his professional network.

3. Update his Resume and LinkedIn Profile. Ensure that the resume reflects his

4. Consider online courses, certifications, or workshops to stay current in his field.

5. Attend workshops, webinars, or training programs to enhance professional development.

6. He can consider Recruitment Agencies or partner with recruitment agencies or headhunters that specialize in his industry.

Job searches can take time. Stay positive, be persistent, and don't get discouraged by rejections. Consider temporary or freelance opportunities to gain experience while continuing the job search.

Dear Sir, I am 40 years old, happily married, have 2 daughters 7 years and 3 years old. My financials are 1. Real Estate 1.50 cr. Land and 2 houses (house value: 85 lakhs: Monthly rental yield 30,000) 2. ULIP 18,000 monthly for 5 years. (19 months completed. Corpus: 4 lakhs) C. Mutual funds 50,000 (just started). I can invest monthly 1.50 lakhs now. Please advice the best categories of Mutual Funds to invest as SIP. Also, thinking to sell the house of 85 lakhs value and put in SWP. Please advice.
Ans: You are 40 years old, happily married with two daughters aged 7 and 3. You have real estate worth Rs. 1.50 crores, including two houses (one valued at Rs. 85 lakhs with a monthly rental yield of Rs. 30,000). You have a ULIP with a monthly contribution of Rs. 18,000 for 5 years, with 19 months completed and a corpus of Rs. 4 lakhs. You have just started investing Rs. 50,000 in mutual funds. You can invest Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly now.

Investment in Mutual Funds
Equity mutual funds are essential for long-term growth. They provide high returns over time. You can invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Large-cap funds are less risky. Mid-cap and small-cap funds offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Debt mutual funds provide stability to your portfolio. They invest in bonds and government securities. They are less volatile and offer regular returns. You can consider short-term and long-term debt funds based on your investment horizon.

Hybrid Mutual Funds
Hybrid funds invest in both equity and debt. They balance risk and return. They are suitable for moderate risk takers. They provide stability with some growth potential.

Tax-saving Mutual Funds
ELSS funds provide tax benefits under Section 80C. They have a lock-in period of 3 years. They offer good returns and help in tax planning. You can allocate a portion of your investments to these funds.

Selling the House and SWP
Selling the house worth Rs. 85 lakhs can provide a lump sum. You can invest this in a Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP). SWP offers regular income from mutual funds. It provides flexibility and better returns compared to rental income. Ensure to consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to align this with your financial goals.

Increase your SIP contributions to Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. Review your portfolio regularly to ensure it aligns with your goals.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance helps achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Focus on long-term growth with equity funds. Maintain stability with debt funds. Balance risk and return with hybrid funds. Consider tax-saving ELSS funds. Review your portfolio regularly.

Age41 yrs , Currently been doing monthly SIP in below mutual funds: * Parag parikh elss tax saver fund : 2000 a month ( 1 year ) * Quant mid cap fund : 5000 a month (started newly ) I am self employed who earns minimum 50k a month I have term insurance and health insurance for my family . Would like to retire my age 55 , keeping inflation and children education and other expenses in my mind . How should I go ahead
Ans: You are 41 years old. You earn Rs. 50,000 a month. You have term insurance and health insurance for your family. You are investing in two SIPs: Parag Parikh ELSS Tax Saver Fund (Rs. 2,000/month) and Quant Mid Cap Fund (Rs. 5,000/month).

Retirement Goal
You plan to retire at 55. Consider inflation, children's education, and other expenses in your planning. Start by estimating your retirement corpus. This should cover living expenses, healthcare, and other needs.

Increase your SIP contributions gradually. This will help build a larger retirement corpus. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This balances risk and provides stable returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better potential returns. Fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform index funds, which only track the market.

Tax Saving and Growth
Continue investing in ELSS funds for tax benefits. They also provide good returns over the long term. Consider adding more equity funds for growth. Equity funds can beat inflation and provide higher returns.

Education Fund for Children
Start a separate education fund for your children. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This ensures their education expenses are covered.

Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least six months of expenses. This provides financial security in case of emergencies. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

Regular Fund Investments
Consider regular funds with the help of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Regular funds come with expert advice and monitoring. This ensures your investments stay aligned with your goals.

Review and Rebalance
Review your portfolio regularly. Rebalance it to maintain the desired asset allocation. This helps manage risk and improve returns.

Increase your SIPs and diversify investments. Plan for children's education and maintain an emergency fund. Seek professional guidance for a comprehensive financial plan.

I am 30 years old working in Public sector bank my salary is monthly 60000 and I have shares worth 1100000 and mutual funds worth 200000 and I am investing monthly SIP 13000 Including equity, best and hybrid funds I have health and term insurance I would like to retire at 50 years with corpus of 3 crores how can I improve my investment strategy.
Ans: You are 30 years old, earning Rs 60,000 monthly. You have shares worth Rs 11 lakhs and mutual funds worth Rs 2 lakhs. You are investing Rs 13,000 monthly in SIPs. You also have health and term insurance.

Retirement Goal

You aim to retire at 50 with a corpus of Rs 3 crores. This goal is achievable with a well-planned strategy.

Investment Strategy Evaluation

Your current investments include equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This mix is good for diversification. However, to reach Rs 3 crores, you need to optimise and possibly increase your investments.

Direct funds require constant monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), can provide expert advice and better management. This ensures your investments are aligned with your goals.

Recommendations for Improvement

Increase SIP Contribution: Gradually increase your SIP amount as your salary grows.

Professional Management: Regular funds managed by a CFP can offer better returns and less hassle.

Diversify Portfolio: Include large-cap funds to balance the risk and return.

Regular Reviews: Monitor and adjust your portfolio regularly with the help of a CFP.

Your goal to retire with Rs 3 crores is realistic. You need to increase your SIPs, diversify your portfolio, and seek expert advice. Regular funds managed by a Certified Financial Planner can help you achieve your target with less stress.

Hello Experts, I am currently working in pvt sector and am 32 years old. My current in hand salary is 1.45lac per month. I am currently paying off my father's home loan of 38lacs, with current outstanding of 24lacs. I have bought a flat back in 2021, for which the loan is of 70lac for 30years.I have a loan insurance for this loan. The EMI for this has not been started yet. It will start once the builder will provide possession of the same. I am paying 15500 monthly rent and apart from that monthly expenses amounts to 30k a month. I am married and my wife is a homemaker and I have a baby girl 2months old. Could you please guide me.
Ans: You have a monthly salary of Rs. 1.45 lakhs. You are paying off your father's home loan with Rs. 24 lakhs outstanding. You bought a flat in 2021 with a Rs. 70 lakhs loan. Your EMI for this will start once you get possession. You pay Rs. 15,500 rent and have monthly expenses of Rs. 30,000. You are married with a homemaker wife and a 2-month-old daughter.

Focus on repaying your father’s home loan. Prioritize this to reduce financial burden. Use part of your monthly income for this. Once the EMI for your flat starts, your expenses will increase. Plan for this additional expense in advance.

Expense Management
You pay Rs. 15,500 in rent and Rs. 30,000 in other expenses. Ensure these expenses are well-managed. Create a monthly budget to track your spending. This will help you save more.

Build an emergency fund to cover at least 6 months of expenses. This will provide financial security. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

You have loan insurance for your flat. Ensure you also have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Investment Planning
Start a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) in mutual funds. SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly. This helps in disciplined investing and wealth creation.

Benefits of SIPs
SIPs help in rupee cost averaging. This reduces the impact of market volatility. They provide the benefit of compounding returns. SIPs are flexible, allowing you to increase or decrease your investment amount.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better returns than index funds. Professional fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform the market.

Regular Funds vs Direct Funds
Regular funds come with the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). CFPs provide personalized advice and regular monitoring. This ensures your investments remain aligned with your goals.

Child’s Education Planning
Start an education fund for your daughter. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This will ensure her future education expenses are covered.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance will help you achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Prioritize debt repayment. Build an emergency fund. Invest in SIPs for long-term growth. Secure your family’s future with proper insurance and planning.

Current Investment: Age: 23Monthly SIP: ?3,600 Portfolio: Small Cap, Mid Cap, and Index Funds Financial Goals: Goal 1: Accumulate ?1 crore in the next 3 years Goal 2: Accumulate ?5 crores in the next 10 years Goal 3: Accumulate ?25 crores by the age of 50 (in 27 years) Questions: how much should I be investing monthly in SIPs to achieve these goals?Could you suggest a diversified portfolio that balances growth and risk? What adjustments or additional strategies would you recommend to make these goals more achievable?Are there any specific mutual funds you would recommend for each goal?
Ans: You are 23 years old and investing Rs 3,600 per month in SIPs. Your portfolio includes small-cap, mid-cap, and index funds.

Financial Goals Assessment

Goal 1: Accumulate Rs 1 crore in 3 years.
Goal 2: Accumulate Rs 5 crores in 10 years.
Goal 3: Accumulate Rs 25 crores by age 50 (27 years).
Monthly Investment Requirement

To achieve these goals, the current SIP of Rs 3,600 per month is not enough. You will need to increase your SIP amount significantly. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) will provide precise guidance on the required SIP.

Portfolio Diversification

Your current portfolio is heavily inclined towards small-cap, mid-cap, and index funds. These funds can be volatile. Including large-cap and flexi-cap funds will balance growth and risk.

Index funds often track the market. They may not outperform it. Actively managed funds, managed by experts, can offer better returns and risk management.

Direct funds need continuous monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a CFP, can offer professional advice, better management, and less hassle.

Additional Strategies

Increase SIP Amount: Regularly review and increase your SIP as your income grows.

Seek Professional Guidance: A CFP can help you choose the right funds and strategies.

Diversify: Balance your portfolio with large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds to reduce risk.

Your ambitious financial goals require a substantial increase in your SIP contributions. Diversify your portfolio to include large-cap and flexi-cap funds. Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner for tailored strategies and better management.

Dear Sir, I am 44 years old. With a total family salary income of 2.2 Lakhs/Month after tax, and I get a yearly one time bonus of Rs. 1.5 Lakhs. Below is my financial position. 1. Combined Family PF Accumulation - 50 Lakhs 2. Own individual house with no Loan(i.e. 20 years housing loan closed in 4 Years) 3. A empty commercial plot in a busy area in a First grade municipal town worth 1.6 Crores 4. A empty commercial land of area 32000 Sq.ft. on a busy National Highways worth 2 Crores 5. Gold Jewels - 2.1 Kg 6. Some ancestral houses and 7 acres agricultural lands from which I get 20K Per month excluding our(mine + wife) salary. 7. LIC Endowment Policies from which I can get Rs. 10 Lakhs if I surrender pre-maturely now. No FD, Mutual Funds and Shares. Debt: 1. 900 grams of gold to my close relative which I borrowed at Rs. 5500/gram in 2023, also has to return only as gold. 2. 35 Lakhs cash at Bank FD rate of interest from my Mom. 3. Gold Pledged for Rs. 18 Lakhs at a nationalized bank 4. Personal loan of Rs. 10 Lakhs, EMI Rs. 27000/month(Approx). - 50 Months remaining. Two daughters studying 11th and 6th respectively. Please guide me to come out of my debt as early as possible.
Ans: Your income and assets are strong. You have Rs. 2.2 lakhs monthly income and a Rs. 1.5 lakh yearly bonus. Your PF accumulation is Rs. 50 lakhs. You own a house with no loan. Your commercial properties are worth Rs. 3.6 crores. Your gold jewels weigh 2.1 kg. Your ancestral property provides Rs. 20,000 monthly.

Debt Analysis
You have some debts. You owe 900 grams of gold to a relative. You have Rs. 35 lakhs debt to your mother at FD interest rates. You have pledged gold for Rs. 18 lakhs at a bank. You have a personal loan of Rs. 10 lakhs with a Rs. 27,000 monthly EMI.

Liquidity Management
Consider surrendering your LIC endowment policies. This can provide Rs. 10 lakhs immediately. Use this amount to reduce high-interest debts. Prioritize paying off the personal loan and pledged gold loan first.

Debt Repayment Strategy
Focus on repaying high-interest loans. Use your bonus and part of your monthly income for this. Repay your personal loan early. This will save on interest costs.

Gold Loan Repayment
Repay the gold loan at the bank. Use part of your income and savings. This will free up your pledged gold. Return the borrowed gold to your relative as soon as possible.

Family Debt Clearance
Repay your mother’s debt with a structured plan. Consider paying a fixed amount monthly. This will reduce your financial burden over time.

Future Investment Planning
Start investing in mutual funds. Use a SIP to invest regularly. This will help grow your wealth. Actively managed funds are better than index funds. They can provide higher returns.

Education Planning for Daughters
Set up an education fund for your daughters. Invest in equity and debt funds. This will ensure their future expenses are covered.

Insurance Review
Review your insurance needs. Ensure you have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Focus on debt repayment first. Invest regularly for future growth. Secure your family’s financial future with proper planning.