Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 20, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more

Hi , My son has chosen Law group for 11th and he is interested to pursue law further. What are the courses he can take after 12th in India / aborad , to continue hos bachelors degree.

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. There are a number of possibilities available both in India and overseas if your son decides to pursue a career in law after graduating from high school. He can continue his Bachelor's degree by enrolling in the following courses:

1. B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com. Integrated LLB: Numerous universities in India offer integrated five-year programs that combine a Bachelor's degree with a Law degree. These programs offer a thorough understanding of the law and its applications in a variety of disciplines.

2. Bachelor of Laws (LLB): Your son can enrol in a three-year LLB program after earning a bachelor's degree in any field. After completing their undergraduate degrees, this is the conventional path for students who desire to specialize in law.

3. Juris Doctor/Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD): Your son can enrol in a Juris Doctor program if he is thinking about studying law abroad. It is a professional graduate legal degree that is available in nations viz., the United States, Canada, and Australia. The JD program is typically three years long and is intended for students having a bachelor's degree in any field.

4. Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL): The Bachelor of Civil Law is a postgraduate legal degree that provides an in-depth study of several legal areas in some nations, including the UK. It is a one-year program for students who have previously earned a law degree or the equivalent.

5. Bachelor of Legal Studies: Some nations, notably the US, offer this as an undergraduate degree. It offers a thorough grounding in legal ideas and can act as a springboard for further legal study or careers in related disciplines.

6. Pre-law Bachelor of Arts or Science degree: For students interested in obtaining a legal degree, certain colleges have undergraduate programs designed just for them. To foster the critical thinking and analytical abilities needed in the legal profession, these courses concentrate on topics like political science, history, and ethics.

7. Diploma/Certificate Courses: Institutes provide a number of certificate and diploma programs in a variety of legal specialties. These courses which are frequently less time-consuming than degree programs, offer particular knowledge and abilities in fields like Criminal Law, Human Rights Law, Intellectual Property Law, Business Law, and Cyber Law. These classes might range in length and provide concentrated knowledge helping you better grasp specific legal subjects.

Your son should examine the precise prerequisites and admission processes for the courses he is interested in, as they may differ between universities and nations. He can also make a decision based on aspects like his professional objectives, the institution's standing, the location, and the availability of internship or practical experience chances.

Mayank Kumar  |192 Answers  |Ask -

Education Expert - Answered on Jul 26, 2023

Hello Sir, My Son recently cleared SSC exam with 87.8%. He wants to pursue LAW please guide us for the same along with the other professional courses. regards
Ans: Hi Mrunal, Congratulations to your son on securing 87.8%. If he's so keen on pursuing LAW, then he must do thorough research before taking a call. Law is a diverse field with various specializations available - like criminal law, corporate law, family law, or environmental law. It's important that he identifies his interest first.

Next important step would be identifying the right programs that will get him the maximum career benefits. He could opt for a 3-year LL.B. program after completing his undergraduate degree in any discipline or a 5-year integrated LL.B. program which can be pursued directly after 12th. For admission to prestigious law schools offering integrated LL.B. programs, your son may need to appear for law entrance exams like CLAT (Common Law Admission Test), AILET (All India Law Entrance Test), LSAT (Law School Admission Test), etc. Make sure to stay updated about the exam dates, eligibility criteria, and application processes.

It's important to also compare different law schools based on their faculty, infrastructure, placement records, and specializations offered to be able to make an informed career choice. Today we have a range of online and blended programs available that comes with stronger hands-on element and are at par with offline /offer similar university accreditations. Strong writing skills, internships for gaining practical experience and registering for the BCI after course completion to practice law in the country, are important.

Also, before you suggest alternate career options to him, it's important to check about his interests and passions - Encourage open discussions about his career aspirations, and consider seeking guidance from career coaches or professionals in the fields he is considering.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Nov 22, 2023

My Son, in class 10th wanted to pursue his career in Law/Legal abroad after 10+2. With AI coming big way, I think Law/Legal will have huge impact. Please suggest if it has bright future or may be very challenging ? Also, help me understand what is the path available to pursue legal studies in countries like Canada, European Countries, Australia etc., Any best Universities you can recommend.
Ans: Hello Mahesh,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am glad to hear about your son’s interest in pursuing a career in Law overseas after he completes his 12th grade. As an answer to your query, I would like to inform you that taking in account the changing landscape of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its effects on a broad range of professions, including law, your son’s desire to practise law overseas seems encouraging. Remember, with the introduction of technology, major changes are being brought about in the legal arena. Artificial Intelligence (AI) may change some facets of the legal profession, but it also creates new opportunities in areas viz., data privacy, legal tech, and AI ethics in the legal system. It would therefore, seem that the future of law will be both difficult and fruitful, requiring flexibility as well as a fusion of legal knowledge with technical developments.

You would be glad to know that outstanding programs are offered by a number of countries to those aspiring to pursue law overseas. The University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, and McGill University in Canada are regarded for their law schools. Coming to European countries, the University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics (LSE), and Oxford University in the UK, as well as Leiden University in the Netherlands, are highly regarded. Law schools at Australian universities viz., Australian National University (ANU), the University of Melbourne, and the University of Sydney, are also renowned. As an answer to your query concerning the path available to pursue legal studies in these aforementioned countries, I would like to tell you that this path generally entails earning an undergraduate i.e. Bachelor’s degree, usually in any area of study, after which one needs to complete a legal degree i.e. Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD), and then possibly undertake specialized programs or internships. In order that your son chooses the program that best resonates with his passion and objectives, I would recommend that he conducts an extensive study on particular program offerings, the competence of the faculty, as well as the curriculum’s primary emphasis.

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.