Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Nov 22, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Mahesh Question by Mahesh on Oct 15, 2023Hindi

My Son, in class 10th wanted to pursue his career in Law/Legal abroad after 10+2. With AI coming big way, I think Law/Legal will have huge impact. Please suggest if it has bright future or may be very challenging ? Also, help me understand what is the path available to pursue legal studies in countries like Canada, European Countries, Australia etc., Any best Universities you can recommend.

Ans: Hello Mahesh,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am glad to hear about your son’s interest in pursuing a career in Law overseas after he completes his 12th grade. As an answer to your query, I would like to inform you that taking in account the changing landscape of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its effects on a broad range of professions, including law, your son’s desire to practise law overseas seems encouraging. Remember, with the introduction of technology, major changes are being brought about in the legal arena. Artificial Intelligence (AI) may change some facets of the legal profession, but it also creates new opportunities in areas viz., data privacy, legal tech, and AI ethics in the legal system. It would therefore, seem that the future of law will be both difficult and fruitful, requiring flexibility as well as a fusion of legal knowledge with technical developments.

You would be glad to know that outstanding programs are offered by a number of countries to those aspiring to pursue law overseas. The University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, and McGill University in Canada are regarded for their law schools. Coming to European countries, the University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics (LSE), and Oxford University in the UK, as well as Leiden University in the Netherlands, are highly regarded. Law schools at Australian universities viz., Australian National University (ANU), the University of Melbourne, and the University of Sydney, are also renowned. As an answer to your query concerning the path available to pursue legal studies in these aforementioned countries, I would like to tell you that this path generally entails earning an undergraduate i.e. Bachelor’s degree, usually in any area of study, after which one needs to complete a legal degree i.e. Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD), and then possibly undertake specialized programs or internships. In order that your son chooses the program that best resonates with his passion and objectives, I would recommend that he conducts an extensive study on particular program offerings, the competence of the faculty, as well as the curriculum’s primary emphasis.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Feb 09, 2023

Sushil, What are the benefits of studying law in Canada or Australia compared to India? Which field has more opportunity after studying abroad, law or engineering?
Ans: Hello!

Pursuing a law degree in Canada or Australia can offer several advantages as compared to studying in India, including:

• International Exposure: Studying law in a foreign country provides an opportunity for students to gain exposure to diverse cultural, legal and professional perspectives, thereby expanding their outlook and augmenting their global network.

• Improved Career Opportunities: International universities often have established connections with law firms, government agencies, and other organizations, offering students the potential for valuable internship and employment opportunities.

• Quality Education: Universities in Canada and Australia are renowned for their high standards of education and cutting-edge facilities, which can deliver a rigorous and enriching academic experience to students.

The prospects open to a person will rely on a number of things, including their particular fields of study, professional ambitions, and the employment market in their intended region, when comparing law and engineering. Both law and engineering may offer rewarding and successful jobs, but the options are different based on the person's abilities, interests, and background.

Also, graduate from an accredited paralegal education program requires to clear a Licensing Process. The licensing process consists of a licensing examination, a good character requirement and an application for a P1 license.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 20, 2023

Hi , My son has chosen Law group for 11th and he is interested to pursue law further. What are the courses he can take after 12th in India / aborad , to continue hos bachelors degree.

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. There are a number of possibilities available both in India and overseas if your son decides to pursue a career in law after graduating from high school. He can continue his Bachelor's degree by enrolling in the following courses:

1. B.A., B.Sc., and B.Com. Integrated LLB: Numerous universities in India offer integrated five-year programs that combine a Bachelor's degree with a Law degree. These programs offer a thorough understanding of the law and its applications in a variety of disciplines.

2. Bachelor of Laws (LLB): Your son can enrol in a three-year LLB program after earning a bachelor's degree in any field. After completing their undergraduate degrees, this is the conventional path for students who desire to specialize in law.

3. Juris Doctor/Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD): Your son can enrol in a Juris Doctor program if he is thinking about studying law abroad. It is a professional graduate legal degree that is available in nations viz., the United States, Canada, and Australia. The JD program is typically three years long and is intended for students having a bachelor's degree in any field.

4. Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL): The Bachelor of Civil Law is a postgraduate legal degree that provides an in-depth study of several legal areas in some nations, including the UK. It is a one-year program for students who have previously earned a law degree or the equivalent.

5. Bachelor of Legal Studies: Some nations, notably the US, offer this as an undergraduate degree. It offers a thorough grounding in legal ideas and can act as a springboard for further legal study or careers in related disciplines.

6. Pre-law Bachelor of Arts or Science degree: For students interested in obtaining a legal degree, certain colleges have undergraduate programs designed just for them. To foster the critical thinking and analytical abilities needed in the legal profession, these courses concentrate on topics like political science, history, and ethics.

7. Diploma/Certificate Courses: Institutes provide a number of certificate and diploma programs in a variety of legal specialties. These courses which are frequently less time-consuming than degree programs, offer particular knowledge and abilities in fields like Criminal Law, Human Rights Law, Intellectual Property Law, Business Law, and Cyber Law. These classes might range in length and provide concentrated knowledge helping you better grasp specific legal subjects.

Your son should examine the precise prerequisites and admission processes for the courses he is interested in, as they may differ between universities and nations. He can also make a decision based on aspects like his professional objectives, the institution's standing, the location, and the availability of internship or practical experience chances.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Aug 22, 2023

sir, my son is LLM in international law from Brussels . But find difficult placement in india as well outside. being father in concern i m worried . would like to know if law career is wrong choice to get settle .
Ans: I understand your concerns about your son's career prospects in international law. It's natural for parents to worry about their child's future, especially when it comes to career choices. International law is a highly specialized field that can offer rewarding opportunities, but like any profession, success can depend on various factors.

Here are a few considerations to keep in mind:

Specialization and Niche Expertise: International law is a complex and competitive field. Having a specialized skill set or focusing on a niche area within international law can make your son stand out. Whether it's human rights, trade law, environmental law, or something else, finding a unique area of expertise can improve his prospects.

Networking and Internships: Connections within the legal community are invaluable. Encourage your son to attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to international law. Internships, whether paid or unpaid, can also provide him with practical experience and valuable contacts.

Location Flexibility: International law often involves working with governments, NGOs, multinational corporations, and international organizations. Being open to working in different geographical locations can increase his chances of finding suitable opportunities.

Further Education: Depending on his specific interests, pursuing further education such as a Ph.D. or specialized postgraduate courses might enhance his qualifications and marketability.

Adaptability and Multilingualism: International law often requires working with diverse cultures and languages. Proficiency in multiple languages and an ability to adapt to different legal systems can be advantageous.

Consult Career Advisors: Many universities and professional organizations offer career counseling services. Encourage your son to utilize these resources to explore different avenues and receive guidance on how to navigate the job market effectively.

Online Presence: Maintaining a professional online presence, such as a LinkedIn profile, can help showcase his skills and accomplishments to potential employers.

Persistence and Patience: The job search process can be challenging, especially in specialized fields. Encourage your son to remain persistent, patient, and open to different opportunities that might arise.

Remember that success in any career is a combination of individual effort, timing, and external factors. While the journey might be challenging, a career in international law can indeed be fulfilling and impactful. It's essential to support your son's aspirations while providing guidance and realistic expectations.

Regards,
Abhishek Shah

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jan 07, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Nov 25, 2023Hindi
Dear Team, I am in my 3rd year of integrated 5 years law course. I was pondering over the options to make a successful career in law. I understand, we have Lower Judiciary, upper judiciary, PSU, Banks and Advocacy with a selection grade to Judiciary. The issue: Options: 1) Judiciary: Lower Judiciary - Given the trend, the selection for upper Judiciary is quite negligible and take a considerable amount of years of your life. 2) Upper Judiciary: India does not have process of selection to Additional Session Judge (ADJ) without completing 7 years of Advocacy to be eligible for ADJ. nor any National level Judiciary exam for such selection after passing from law school. 3) PSU: A mundane process of work like a corporate and not sure, how challenging or exciting as a career option. Just a time scale career stability. 4) Banks: Apart from RBI, which has another level of selection process - meaning quite an extent of separate study from present law course and is a rated option, the other banks law officer is again mundane as in PSU's. 5) Advocacy is something which 1st generation lawyers might need a best of mentors to make to selection grade of Judiciary. 6) Indian Laws firms and Magic circle : May pl guide on the process of internship in magic circle law firms and is it a good to have internship outside of India or better to have in Indian Law Firms. Given the above, what’s the best career move and options as this is one of the profession, wherein name and fame comes later in life, however adding a right career path just adds catalyst, then having instability in your prime years of life. Regards NS.
Ans: If you are looking to make a career in India, please stick to India. Find out top 10 law firms and lawyers. Visit their website and office to meet with them and learn more about how they can mentor. Please check with them how best you could land a significant work experience with them in short span of time. The easiest way to do this would be to interview them and publish them on your blog and social space.

I am 29 year old bengali female married to a Bihar guy. We know each other since college and we have been married for 3 years. Things began to turn bitter after few months of our marriage. My husband is a govt. Employee has seen extreme poverty in his childhood. I belong to upper middle class family. Both of our parents were against our marriage. Now his family especially mother pressurise him for money that is beyond our reach. She thinks I stop him to give money. She constantly abuses my husband. He has two elder brother who are good for nothing,both are married have kids and even they expect financial help from us. I am very tensed we can't even think of spending a penny for our personal enjoyment. My husband understands all these but everytime falls into prey of my MIL'S emotional drama. She fakes illness or fights for money. I can't even share this with my family.

I am very sorry to hear that you are in such a situation. It is indeed a very complex situation. Financial troubles can disrupt marital bliss. But it has to be addressed, even if it leads to conflicts. Speak to your husband about your concerns. Politely tell him that his family's demands and his response to them are causing a financial crisis in your home. Sit together and discuss how much financial support can you provide to his family and what's beyond reasonable. Have a monthly budget and since his family will continue asking for money, keep some money (what you have decided together) for the same. Keep an emergency fund and most importantly, have a decent amount of savings.

After all these discussions, if things still don't change, consider going for marriage counseling. You gave up an affluent life to be with him; he can surely give up certain things that are clearly unreasonable. A third neutral party can point this out without you having to say it.

You can also suggest your husband push his family members to get better jobs so that they can provide for themselves. Besides everything, don't forget to take care of yourself. Be in touch with your family and share your worries with someone close to you. And maintain regular check-ins with your husband. It can't be easy on him either.

Which institution is best to subscribe for online prepation of JEE. Candidate here has also joined a offline/regular classes in a small town. Please suggest.
Ans: ALLEN Online Test Series. User-friendly / Instant Result with Answers and Time Taken for Each Question.

Some IMPORTANT Preparation Strategies for JEE Preparation: (Wherever the Subject 'You' is used here, it refers for your Candidate). (1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & avoid soft drinks (5) Every day nigh, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practizing questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 11th / 12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyze your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Make 100% utilization of 'Doubt Clearing Sessions' of Offline Class you have joined. All the BEST.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please ask / FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

I am 37 years old , and having 2.10 lacs salary in hand, I have SIP of Rs. 20k, apart from SIP I have invested in stock current market value is 10L, I have three flats which is cost approx 2.5 cr, i have a home loan as well of 35 lacs. Kindly guide me how I can achieve the milestone of 10 crore corpus in next 15 years.
Ans: Achieving a significant corpus like Rs. 10 crores in 15 years requires careful planning, disciplined investing, and leveraging various assets and investment avenues. Let's explore a comprehensive strategy to reach this financial milestone.

Current Financial Snapshot
Income and Investments
At 37 years old, with a salary of Rs. 2.10 lakhs per month, you have a solid foundation. Here's a snapshot of your current investments:

SIP Investment: Rs. 20,000 per month
Stock Investments: Current market value of Rs. 10 lakhs
Real Estate Holdings: Three flats valued at approximately Rs. 2.5 crores
Liabilities: Home loan of Rs. 35 lakhs
Strategic Roadmap to Achieve Rs. 10 Crore Corpus
1. Optimize Investment Portfolio
Review Existing Investments
Evaluate the performance and alignment of your current investments with long-term goals:

Stocks: Assess the potential for growth and consider diversification if necessary.
Real Estate: While real estate is valuable, ensure it aligns with your liquidity needs and financial goals. Consider rental income potential versus capital appreciation.
SIPs: Continue disciplined investing. Evaluate if the current SIP amount needs to be increased to meet the Rs. 10 crore target.
2. Increase Savings and Investments
Maximizing Monthly Contributions
Increase SIP Amount: Depending on your surplus income, consider increasing the SIP amount gradually. This accelerates wealth accumulation.
Bonus and Windfalls: Direct any windfall gains towards investments rather than discretionary spending.
3. Diversification and Risk Management
Balancing Risk and Return
Asset Allocation: Diversify across asset classes such as equity, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or international funds.
Risk Management: Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to mitigate risks associated with market volatility.
4. Debt Management
Addressing Home Loan
Early Repayment: Explore options to accelerate home loan repayment to reduce interest burden and improve cash flow for investments.
Debt Consolidation: Consolidate high-interest debts if applicable to streamline finances and improve liquidity for investments.
5. Investment Avenues
Exploring Options Beyond SIPs
Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed funds can potentially outperform passive funds like index funds due to strategic decisions by fund managers.
Debt Instruments: Consider debt funds for stability and regular income, balancing the portfolio against equity market fluctuations.
Systematic Transfer Plans (STP): Utilize STPs to stagger lump sum investments into equity funds, reducing timing risks.
6. Professional Guidance and Monitoring
Leveraging Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Holistic Financial Planning: Engage with a CFP to develop a customized financial plan considering income, investments, goals, and risk appetite.
Periodic Reviews: Regularly review investment performance and adjust strategies based on changing life circumstances and market conditions.
Addressing Existing Policies and Investments
7. Insurance and Investment Policies
Surrender and Reinvest
LIC, ULIPs, Investment cum Insurance Policies: Evaluate existing policies for surrender value and consider reinvesting in more lucrative investment avenues like mutual funds for better returns.
Legal and Recovery Aspects
8. Recovering Debt
Legal Recourse
Documentation: Gather all evidence and communication related to the debt owed by your friend.
Legal Consultation: Seek legal advice to explore options like sending legal notices, mediation, or filing a suit in a court of law if necessary.
Financial Impact: While pursuing legal action, continue focusing on building your financial assets through disciplined investments.
Achieving a corpus of Rs. 10 crores in 15 years demands a balanced approach involving disciplined savings, strategic investments, and proactive debt management. Leveraging existing assets like stocks and real estate alongside increasing SIPs and exploring diverse investment avenues is key. Engaging with a Certified Financial Planner ensures a structured approach, optimizing your path towards financial independence and security.

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |194 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Jun 21, 2024

I am 77 years old. I was taking medicine for high BP from the age of 50 years.I was very active doing yoga regularly in the morning and doing walk in the evening. I do not smoke and do not drink as well. I am a person with height weight normal as per the standard chart. I was very active doing my job and never use to get tired. I worked for six years in Central Govt, thirty years in PSU and seventeen years in Private Organisations. I used to believe that " a Person should never retire from work". I stopped going to work from March 2020 after the Covid 19 spread in India. During a routine check up, my doctor mentioned on my prescription as "Stable Angina". I asked about it but he replied, it is nothing, do not worry. I was not having any pain etc. But this remark of Stable Angina. was written on my prescription on every visit. In June 2022, I got a CT Angiography done just to know the deposits in my arteries. It was found to be more in all the five arteries. But I had no symptoms of any pain or breathlessness while moving or working.In August 2022, I got some problem in my left eye, went to eye specialist, he observed a little deposit in eye nerve. He tried to break it but could not. I went for Angiography. All the arteries were found with deposits but still I had no pain etc. I was operated for Heart By pass Surgery on 22.9.22 and released from Hospital on 1.10.22. I was put on High Protein Diet. During Jan 23 to July 23, my Blood Urea Nitrogen & Urea got up the required level.High Protein Diet was stopped and advised take more Fruits. BUN & Urea came normal. More fruits were being taken. It caused potassium level to go up. Then in fruits also restriction imposed on banana, coconut water & citrus fruits. Now I am on restricted diet. BUN & Urea are normal but potassium remains fluctuating. Now I am alright but feel very weak. I do little walk but get tired soon. I am not able to do yoga due to low energy. Vitamin supplements are being taken but not getting strength. Even feels stability problem. While standing feels giddiness and feels that i may fall. I am also feeling severe pain in my arms muscles. Now I am taking medicines for BP, Cholesterol, Blood Thinner, Enlarged Prostrate Gland, Vitamin supplement. I always think why I am feeling so many problems after Heart Bye Pass Surgery. Please advise.
Ans: I feel you need your medications adjusted. They're probably making you feel like this.