I have been married for 7 months. I stayed with my husband for 4 months. I have a decent relationship with him. But my mother in law doesn't like me at all. She finds faults and mistakes in everything that I do. I don't get any support from my husband when my mother in law criticises me or uses harsh words. She insults my parents. My husband tries to justify her behaviour when I try to discuss these issues with him. He misunderstands me and doesn't want to listen to me whenever his mother creates issues. He doesn't listen to anyone and he doesn't care about anyone apart from his mother when his mother creates problems. I work for 10 hours at office and take care of him and the household chores. He forgets all my positive sides and highlights my mistakes rudely whenever his mother comes into the picture. I don't find any solution to this. My last solution is filing for a divorce. I want to try to give my best for this relationship. But that is somehow taking a toll on my mental and physical health.

You have good respite from all of this while you are at office, right? And then there's the commute to work? Then there's sleep?
So, I guess your interactions with her maybe 2 hours?
For her, she's given up her son; many mothers find it hard cutting the cord from their children and in this case, your husband also has not learned to develop a personality off of her and hence putting him in between the two of you is only going to cause you more stress and invariably he will side with her; he's still getting used to another woman in his life, YOU...Don't test his love for you and compare it with his mother. It will drive him away from you.

Give this all sometime BUT DO NOT get him caught in the middle of all this. Teaching your mother-in-law to behave in a certain way maybe a huge task BUT for you to work around it without letting it bother you is what you must focus on. Possible? YES...Smart relationships are ones like these where you don't go around expecting change in the other person BUT you figure how you can work around and find your peace.
So, since you are going to be around her only for a few hours, start by simply agreeing to what she says. Initially it will be hard, but it will throw her off guard as when she sees that you are not provoked, there will come a time, when she will back off.
Her fault finding is only to prove that she is better than you and that you can't replace her in her son's life. Give her that pleasure by simply nodding your head knowing that it's not your fault. You will see a change in a few days.

The best way to bring people's guard down is to agree to what they say BUT do what you need to. It's just been a couple of months, give it sometime...things settle...

Relationships Expert - Answered on May 13, 2022

Dear Love Guru, Please keep me anonymous. I am a 45 years old married male. Ours was an arranged marriage. My spouse as well as my in-laws have cynical attitude towards life. They are always abusive towards everyone at their back even. Earlier, I used to take it lightly and also tried to make my wife understand that there are good people also in the world. I also used to think that she may not be having the same attitude at least towards me but I was wrong. I always did my best whenever she was in trouble or otherwise, be it in her social, professional or medical needs but instead of acknowledging she always found some ulterior motive of mine. She acts sweet whenever she wants anything or to get things done from me otherwise she becomes abusive. Moreover, since beginning she discusses everything over phone with her mother and acts as per her guidance. I don't think that anything whatever happens in between us be it good or bad or in our house is not known to her mother. Whenever we have any quarrel she immediately calls her mother and tells her only her side of the things and uses abusive words for me. I have even requested her that even if she feels like calling her mother to lighten up, she may do it, but at least in privacy so that I should not hear the words she uses. But, now after 14 years I am getting fed up and don't feel like being with her. I am continuing because of my daughter as separation may affect the child. We no longer share any emotional or physical intimacy. I am exhausted. Please advise.  Regards, Anonymous

Sounds like you’re tired of the marriage.

I would suggest attending some marital counselling together before you decide to finalise a split, if only for the sake of your daughter.

I understand that the child’s situation is taking precedence over yours, and that’s good parenting, but how long will you carry on like this? It’s been so many years already.

Your wife speaking to her mother about everything is understandable, but within earshot so that you hear it too is not. She obviously has ulterior motives.

Visit a competent counsellor. I’m sure you’ll be able to make headway in this situation.

Hope you are doing well.I am kinda mentally disturbed and badly need your suggestion. I have been in love and married for 13 yrs. I have a son and a daughter. I'm a working woman.I'm being constantly ill-treated by my mother-in-law. I know such issues exist in every household. But here, it has been a never-ending issue for 13 years now. She is very insecure, when it comes to household chores, my kids and my husband and feels all these areas should be in her control.She feels she is to be given utmost attention and only her thoughts and feelings to be respected and are always right. She insults me, mocks me, and doesn't treat me like a part of the family, though I’m selfless and continue to care for my in-laws and other family members. She keeps hurting me with her words, gestures and behaviour.To her, I'm like a constant pester and she doesn't feel satisfied with any chores or work at home or family. I'm a big mess. She often states 'I’m her` target` and will continue to hurt me verbally and with gestures.My husband doesn't raise questions on his mom's insane behaviour, as she threatens to harm herself.This is a routine she carries out, whenever she wants to. I have zero support from my husband to change his mom and or understand my feelings. Neither should I voice out my views or feelings. I have to look out for her moods and actions and act accordingly, any time.I have no self-respect, no dignity here. It doesn't feel like this is my house or my family, except for my kids. My kids are growing up and I feel I will lose respect amongst them, when she constantly taunts me and insults me for no reason.I have no parents or siblings to share my feelings. I open up with my close friends for a temporary vent out, otherwise, it really doesn't serve any purpose.I feel like I have to live eternally with this mental abuse, as I'm unable to put up with her behaviour and harassment. Acting as if I'm fine every day is killing me.This type of behaviour makes me feel very low and my self-esteem is affected. I feel worthless and my whole life feels like a sheer curse.Please help me get out of this situation and make my mother-in-law mend her behaviour towards me.Awaiting your response.

Dear SS,

A story in many patriarchal households!

What can you do to change her and your husband’s attitude on this? Nothing at all.

It’s like a stubborn gene that wants to hold on to age-old beliefs where the mother-in-law rules the home and calls the shots, the son blindly supports his mother’s tantrums.

What can you do when your children also are growing up in this environment?

Here’s where you can put your foot down.

Your children have to learn to respect their mother for who she is. So, stop playing the victim in your situation and take charge.

I am sure the children are at an age where their minds are impressionable and can be beautifully shaped to accept different people in the household.

Instead of spending time cursing your situation, spend the same time being with your children, bonding with them.

Talk and spend a lot of time going out, watching TV, cooking, reading, listening to music and more.

What will start to happen is that the children will learn to hold space for you when you are down and out. And do take care that while you are bonding with them, never talk ill about their father or their grandmother.

This activity isn’t to distance one from the other but to give you a new way of thinking in the existing circumstances.

Having said this, if your husband is someday ready to talk to you about this, by all means be assertive.

Till then, it’s not necessary to suffer. Either you can fight and get fingers pointed back at you or you can negotiate a situation wisely to maintain the peace at home. You always have that choice.

Whatever you choose, never sit in silence and do nothing. That’s what your children will learn; to suffer in silence. So, time to make some subtle and meaningful changes?

Best wishes!

I had late marraige . My husband was very keen to marry. In fact my family was not very keen. i was the only child and my mom passed away early. After my marraige my husband family behave differently. My mom-in law never allowed our normal relationship. My husband was not financially stable. However his mother used to fulfill all his wishes as she was in job. Now she is retired. I had a steady job and academic background. So I remained financially stable. But I never got any opportunity to lead a normal conjugal life. She constantly created psychological pressure so that I stay away from my husband. My husband also was unable to protest. He was more frank in absence of mother. This strange situation forced me to stay away from my inlaws place. I started living separately. My mom-in law was cooperative as long as Im away from them. Now if my husband is sick, he is informing me, taking financial help, but not allowing me to accompany him to doctor . Its a strange situation. Now My husband is in mental problem with no financial stability and normal peace of mind. How should I tackle this situation?
Ans: I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time in your marriage. It sounds like there are multiple issues at play here, including strained relationships with your in-laws, financial instability, and your husband's mental health. Here are some steps you can take to tackle this situation:

Seek counseling: It's important for you and your husband to get professional counseling to address the issues you're facing. A counselor can provide guidance on how to manage difficult family relationships, financial stress, and mental health issues.

Set boundaries: It's important to establish clear boundaries with your in-laws. Communicate your needs and expectations with your husband and his family. This may include spending less time with them or limiting interactions with them.

Seek financial stability: If your husband is unable to contribute financially, it may be important for you to take charge of managing the household finances. This can help alleviate some of the stress and uncertainty around money.

Support your husband's mental health: Encourage your husband to seek professional help for his mental health issues. You can also offer emotional support and be there for him during this difficult time.

Focus on your own well-being: It's important for you to take care of yourself during this time. Make time for self-care activities, such as exercise, meditation, or spending time with friends and family.

Remember, these issues may take time to resolve, but with patience, understanding, and professional help, you and your husband can work through them and find a path forward.

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 30, 2023Hindi
I have been married for one year. My mother in law has no respect in her talking towards me. She expects me to do all the household things and she doesn't want her daughter to do any kitchen works. Most of the time I feel like she made her son marry me just to do household things. I don't need any appreciation but I can't bear her disrespectful words. And her cunning character and lies. What can I do in such situations
Ans: Dealing with a challenging mother-in-law can be a delicate situation, but it's important to address these concerns to maintain a healthy relationship with your spouse and in-lawsStart by discussing your feelings with your spouse. Share your concerns about your mother-in-law's behavior and how it's affecting you. Ensure that you both are on the same page before addressing the issue with her. When you decide to talk to your mother-in-law, pick a calm and private setting. Avoid confrontations in the heat of the moment, and try to have a rational conversation. Clearly and calmly communicate how her words and actions make you feel. Use "I" statements to express your emotions without blaming her Make it clear what behavior is unacceptable and establish boundaries. Politely but firmly communicate what you are willing and unwilling to tolerate in terms of comments and expectations. If direct communication doesn't yield positive results, consider involving a neutral third party, a trusted family member, to mediate the conversation. Strengthen your relationship with your spouse and build a support system with friends and other family members. Having a strong network can provide emotional support during challenging times. Remember, it may take time to see changes, and it's essential to approach the situation with patience and understanding. Every family dynamic is unique, and finding the right balance may require ongoing effort and communication.

Sir,my aim was to study cse, now I have got electrical and computer in Thapar which costs around 5.4lakhs pa, amrita amaravati campus cse which costs around 3lakhs pa tuition fees, so it will go around 4-4.5 pa(including everything), and IEM in Kolkata IT branch which will cost around 7-8lakhs for 4years. Sir please guide me, money is not that much of a factor but I don't want to use my father's hard earned money, and would like to take a loan if the budget goes over 10lakhs. Sir please help me out as I am confused. Thank you.
Ans: Evaluating Your Options

You have three educational options:

Electrical and Computer Engineering at Thapar Institute.
Computer Science Engineering at Amrita Amaravati.
Information Technology at IEM Kolkata.
Let’s break down the financial aspects of each option to help you make an informed decision.

Cost Analysis

Thapar Institute:

Annual Cost: Rs 5.4 lakhs
Total for Four Years: Rs 21.6 lakhs
Amrita Amaravati:

Annual Tuition Fee: Rs 3 lakhs
Total for Four Years (including other expenses): Rs 12-15 lakhs
IEM Kolkata:

Total for Four Years: Rs 7-8 lakhs
Budgeting Considerations

Thapar Institute:

High Cost: The total cost of Rs 21.6 lakhs is significant.
Loan Requirement: Given the high cost, you might need to take a substantial loan, especially if the budget exceeds Rs 10 lakhs.
Amrita Amaravati:

Moderate Cost: Total cost is around Rs 12-15 lakhs, more manageable.
Potential Loan: You might need a smaller loan, making repayment easier.
IEM Kolkata:

Low Cost: Total cost is the most economical at Rs 7-8 lakhs.
Minimal Loan: If at all required, the loan amount would be minimal.
Personal Finance Impact

Parental Contribution vs. Loan

Thapar Institute: Requires a significant financial outlay or loan, impacting your family's finances. If a loan is taken, ensure that the interest rates and repayment terms are favorable.

Amrita Amaravati: More balanced in terms of cost. You might need a smaller loan, which would be easier to manage and repay.

IEM Kolkata: Least financial burden. If you prefer to minimize your family's financial stress, this is the best option.

Long-term Financial Planning

Return on Investment (ROI)

Thapar Institute: High ROI potential due to its strong reputation and placement record. However, the high initial cost needs to be justified by future earnings.

Amrita Amaravati: Good ROI with moderate costs. As it aligns with your preferred field (CSE), it offers a balanced investment with potentially good returns.

IEM Kolkata: Economical with good placement opportunities. Offers a favorable ROI with the least financial burden.

Loan Repayment

Thapar Institute: Higher loan amount means higher EMIs. Ensure you have a clear repayment plan based on your expected starting salary.

Amrita Amaravati: Moderate loan amount results in manageable EMIs. Easier to handle with a decent starting salary.

IEM Kolkata: Minimal loan requirement, if any. Loan repayment will be the least stressful.

Emergency Fund and Savings

Regardless of your choice, maintain an emergency fund for unforeseen expenses.

Plan to save a portion of your income post-graduation to build a financial cushion.

From a personal finance and budgeting perspective:

Amrita Amaravati strikes a balance between cost and your preferred field, making it a prudent choice with manageable financial implications.

Thapar Institute is a significant investment with potentially high returns but requires careful financial planning due to the higher costs involved.

IEM Kolkata offers the least financial strain and is a good option if minimizing costs is a priority.

Hi, I am 40 years old, stay with wife , no kids. My monthly take home salary is 1,00,000. I have yearly contributions towards Tax saver mutual funds of 1,20,000. PPF of 30,000 and NPS of 50,000. Investment towards non tax saver mutual funds of 36,000 for last 3 years. 23,000 is my rent and 50,000 is my monthly family expense. I have a house in my native where my mother stay with approx valuation of 50L. Wife has a plot in her native which is priced 1Cr as of today. Please suggest what should be my retirement corpus and how to achieve the same.
Ans: You have a monthly take-home salary of Rs. 1,00,000. Your annual investments are:

Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 1,20,000
PPF: Rs. 30,000
NPS: Rs. 50,000
Non-Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 36,000
Your monthly expenses are:

Rent: Rs. 23,000
Family Expenses: Rs. 50,000
Evaluating Existing Investments
Your current investments in tax saver and non-tax saver mutual funds, PPF, and NPS are good. These will help build your retirement corpus over time.

Estimating Retirement Corpus
Assume you plan to retire at 60 and live till 85. You need a retirement corpus to cover 25 years. Considering inflation and current expenses, your retirement corpus should be substantial.

Steps to Achieve Retirement Corpus
Increase Monthly Savings: You have Rs. 27,000 left after expenses. Allocate this to your retirement savings.

Diversify Investments: Continue investing in mutual funds and NPS. Consider increasing your SIP amounts gradually.

Review and Adjust Investments: Regularly review your portfolio. Adjust based on market conditions and financial goals.

Consider Health Insurance: Ensure you have adequate health insurance. This protects your savings from medical emergencies.

Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund. This should cover 6-12 months of expenses.

Property Valuation
Your house and wife's plot are significant assets. Though not recommended for real estate investment, they provide financial security.

You are on the right track with diversified investments. Increase your savings, review regularly, and ensure you are covered for emergencies. This will help you achieve a secure retirement.

Hello. I have started investing. I have invested 80k through an agent lumpsum. But now I want to start an sip by myself as well as buy an sgb. I have decided Nippon small cap as a fund for 10k and I have decided another fund motilal oswal midcap fund for 10k. Every month if I have anything left extra maybe 2-3k i will invest in other funds like index funds. I chose only small and mid cap because I am just 24 years old and I don't really have many expenses, long term investment horizon and decided 20k after keeping aside 10k for myself. I am also going to buy an sgb on zerodha coin and leave it for 8 years. I am goin to get 2.4 lakhs from my chut fund. I am not sure how much to invest in sgb and what to do with remaining. I have 1.5 in my fd. I started sip in et money app. I set it up and it's goin to start from July 1st 2024. Please help me with if the funds I chose are good for me and how do I split the 2.5 l and also please suggest if zerodha for sgb and et money for sip are good. I also wanted one for swp but i don't know much about that and where to start that. Do you suggest and swp fund for me for nor or just stick to my plan? Please help me . Thank you so much.
Ans: Review of Current Investments

You have started with a lumpsum investment of Rs 80,000 through an agent. Additionally, you plan to invest Rs 20,000 per month in SIPs, focusing on small and mid-cap funds.

Your choice of small and mid-cap funds aligns well with your long-term horizon and risk appetite at 24 years old.

Investment Platforms: Evaluation

ET Money for SIP:

Pros:

Easy to use and set up SIPs.

Convenient for managing multiple investments.

Cons:

Lacks personalized advice from Certified Financial Planners.

Limited support for complex financial planning.

Zerodha for SGB:

Pros:

Simple and cost-effective for buying SGBs.

Good for long-term holding.

Cons:

May not provide personalized investment advice.

Limited customer support for investment queries.

Advantages of Investing through an MFD

Personalized Advice: Tailored to your financial goals and risk profile.

Regular Monitoring: Helps in adjusting investments based on market conditions.

Comprehensive Planning: MFDs offer a holistic approach, including tax planning and retirement planning.

Disadvantages of Digital Platforms

Lack of Personal Touch: Limited personalized advice and support.

Complex Needs: May not cater to complex financial planning needs.

Utilizing Your Chit Fund Proceeds

You will receive Rs 2.4 lakhs from your chit fund. Here’s how you can allocate it:

SGB Investment: Consider investing Rs 1 lakh in SGB for long-term stability and returns.

Diversified Mutual Funds: Invest Rs 1.4 lakhs in diversified mutual funds through an MFD to balance risk and growth.

An SWP can provide regular income from your mutual fund investments. It is more suitable once you have built a substantial corpus. For now, focus on growing your investments.

Your investment choices reflect a good start. Consider engaging with an MFD for personalized advice and comprehensive planning.

Is it worth considering a real estate investment at Panvel, Navi Mumbai? Or is it better to invest that capital in other growth instruments like MFs? I already have 2 houses, with zero debt, and I'm considering investing in Navi Mumbai, as I'm hearing that it'll grow as a corridor. Please advise.
Ans: Real Estate in Panvel, Navi Mumbai
Panvel is indeed growing.

The area shows promise as a future corridor.

You already own two houses.

You have zero debt, which is commendable.

Considerations for Real Estate Investment
Real estate investments can be illiquid.

Selling property takes time and effort.

Property values can fluctuate and may not always guarantee high returns.

Benefits of Mutual Funds
Mutual funds offer higher liquidity.

You can redeem investments easily.

They provide potential for high returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds are preferred.

Fund managers work to maximize returns.

They can adapt to market changes effectively.

Mutual funds allow for better diversification.

You can spread your risk across sectors.

This can lead to more stable returns.

Professional Management
Mutual funds are managed by experts.

Certified Financial Planners can guide you.

Regular reviews and adjustments are possible.

Investing in mutual funds is more flexible.

They offer better liquidity and potential returns.

Consider mutual funds over another property.

If anyone want to investment planning. Please let me know like lumpsum benefits and guaranteed income I will tell you briefly
Ans: Lumpsum Investment: Benefits and Considerations

Benefits:

Potential for Higher Returns: Investing a large amount at once can yield significant returns.

Simple and Quick: One-time investment, no need for regular monitoring.

Ideal for Market Opportunities: Beneficial during market dips for higher gains.

Considerations:

Market Risk: Higher exposure to market volatility at one point.

Timing Risk: Difficult to time the market perfectly.

Liquidity: May face restrictions on withdrawing funds.

Guaranteed Income: Options and Benefits

Fixed Deposits:

Safety: Provides guaranteed returns.

Liquidity: Easy to withdraw with minimal penalties.

Predictable Income: Fixed interest rate ensures regular income.

Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Safe Investment: Government-backed, risk-free.

Tax Benefits: Interest earned is tax-free.

Long-Term Growth: Suitable for long-term financial goals.

Senior Citizens' Savings Scheme (SCSS):

High Safety: Government-backed, secure returns.

Regular Income: Quarterly interest payments.

Tax Benefits: Investment eligible for tax deduction.

Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP):

Flexibility: Regular income from mutual funds.

Tax Efficiency: Only the gains are taxed, not the principal.

Control: Decide the withdrawal amount and frequency.

Combining lumpsum investments with guaranteed income options can provide growth and stability. Regular reviews with a Certified Financial Planner can help align with your goals.

Hi I am currently 30 years of age and I would like to ask about an investment where I'm going to make on a flat purchase of 46 Lacs with down payment of 16 Lacs along with a loan of 30 Lacs with a current salary of 50050 rupees per month... So I would like to know the loan tenure would be best suited for me to manage my savings for the future along with my daily expenditure?
Ans: Investment Strategy for Flat Purchase
Purchasing a flat can be a significant financial decision. As a Certified Financial Planner, I appreciate your initiative in seeking advice.

Assessing Your Financial Situation
You have a salary of Rs. 50,050 per month. Your down payment is Rs. 16 lakhs. You plan to take a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs. It's crucial to balance your loan repayment with your daily expenses and savings.

Evaluating Loan Tenure
For your situation, a longer loan tenure can lower your EMI. This means more manageable monthly payments. However, this will increase the total interest paid over the loan period. A shorter loan tenure will result in higher EMIs but lower total interest.

Balancing Savings and Expenses
With your monthly salary, aim to keep your EMIs around 30-40% of your income. This ensures you have enough for daily expenses and savings. For a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs, consider a tenure of 20 years. This will make your EMIs more affordable.

Planning for Future Savings
Allocate funds for emergency savings, retirement planning, and other goals. Ensure you have at least six months of expenses saved for emergencies. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan.

Balancing a home loan with savings and expenses requires careful planning. Choose a loan tenure that suits your monthly cash flow. Keep your long-term financial goals in mind.