Vivek

Vivek Lala  |251 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Mar 24, 2024

Vivek Lala has been working as a tax planner since 2018. His expertise lies in making personalised tax budgets and tax forecasts for individuals. As a tax advisor, he takes pride in simplifying tax complications for his clients using simple, easy-to-understand language.
Krishnamurthy Question by Krishnamurthy on Nov 29, 2023Hindi

I have Rs. 10 lakhs that I can invest for three years and a further Rs. 5 lakhs that I need after one year. I am looking for safe but better than bank fixed deposit return. Can you kindly give specific suggestions?

Ans: Risk and return are directly related. Less risk = less return and vice versa
So if you want more returns than FD then you will be adding more risk to your portfolio
Since liquidity is most important in your case , you should stick to less risk and for the 5L you can add some debt funds and take the advantage if the rate of interest falls

Please note that these suggestions are based on your stated goals and the information you provided. It is always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor in person to better understand your risk tolerance, time horizon, and specific financial goals.

I have Rs 3.5 lakh and want to invest this amount for a period of 5 years. I can take low to moderate risk. What options would you suggest for me? I am expecting only moderate returns of up to 15-18% for my investments. What would you suggest for me if I want say higher returns in the range of 20-25%?
Ans: For a 5-year investment horizon with a preference for low to moderate risk, it's important to consider a well-diversified portfolio to balance potential returns and risks.

Here are some investment options based on your risk preferences:

• Low to Moderate Risk (Expecting returns of 15-18%):

1. Equity Mutual Funds:

Opt for large-cap or multi-cap equity mutual funds. These funds provide exposure to well-established companies and offer the potential for moderate returns. Choose funds with a consistent track record and a focus on risk management.

2. Balanced Funds:

Balanced funds, also known as hybrid funds, invest in a mix of equities and debt instruments. They provide a balance between growth and stability, making them suitable for investors with a moderate risk appetite.

3. Debt Mutual Funds:

Consider allocating a portion of your investment to debt mutual funds, particularly short to medium-term funds. These funds invest in fixed-income securities and can provide stable returns with lower volatility compared to equities.

4. Fixed Deposits (FDs):

Bank fixed deposits and corporate FDs offer capital protection and a fixed rate of return. While the returns may be relatively lower, they provide a stable and predictable income stream.

• Higher Risk (Expecting returns of 20-25%):

1. Mid and Small-Cap Equity Funds:

If you are willing to take on a higher level of risk, consider mid and small-cap equity funds. These funds invest in smaller companies with higher growth potential but come with increased volatility.

2. Sector-Specific Funds:

Allocate a small portion of your portfolio to sector-specific funds. These funds focus on specific industries like technology, healthcare, or banking, which may offer higher returns but come with sector-specific risks.

3. Unit Linked Insurance Plans (ULIPs):

ULIPs combine insurance with investment and offer the flexibility to invest in equity or debt funds. However, be mindful of the charges associated with ULIPs and thoroughly understand the terms and conditions.

4. Stocks:

Direct equity investment in individual stocks can potentially provide higher returns. However, stock market investments carry higher risk and require a good understanding of the market. Diversify your stock portfolio to manage risk.

5. Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Consider investing in equity mutual funds through Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs). SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly, promoting disciplined investing and taking advantage of rupee cost averaging.

Before making any investment decisions, carefully assess your financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment horizon. Diversification across different asset classes can help manage risk. It's also advisable to consult with a financial advisor to create a personalised investment strategy based on your specific situation and goals.

I am 53 year. I want to invest Rs 10,000 every month. What is the best option to invest so that after 4/5 years I get good return
Ans: Maximizing Returns with Monthly Investments
Investing regularly is a prudent financial decision, and I commend your commitment to building wealth even at 53. Let's explore the best options for investing ?10,000 every month to achieve good returns within a 4-5 year timeframe.

Understanding Investment Objectives
Short-Term Horizon: With a 4-5 year investment horizon, it's essential to prioritize investments with moderate risk and potential for decent returns.

Goal Clarity: Define your specific financial goals and the purpose of the invested funds to align investment strategies accordingly.

Risk Appetite: Assess your risk tolerance to determine the appropriate mix of investment options for your portfolio.

Evaluating Investment Options
Considering your investment horizon and return expectations, explore the following options:

Equity Mutual Funds: Offer the potential for higher returns but come with higher volatility. Suitable for investors with a longer investment horizon and higher risk tolerance.

Debt Mutual Funds: Provide stability and steady returns with lower risk compared to equity funds. Ideal for investors seeking capital preservation and income generation.

Balanced Funds: Combine equity and debt components to provide a balanced approach to risk and return. Suitable for investors seeking moderate growth with reduced volatility.

Active management offers several advantages for investors with a short-to-medium-term investment horizon:

Potential for Outperformance: Skilled fund managers actively manage the portfolio, aiming to generate alpha and outperform the market.

Risk Management: Experienced fund managers employ risk management techniques to mitigate downside risk and preserve capital, crucial for investors with a shorter investment horizon.

Flexibility: Active management allows for tactical allocation adjustments based on market conditions and economic outlook, optimizing returns.

Index funds may not be suitable for investors seeking good returns within a 4-5 year timeframe due to the following reasons:

Market Tracking: Index funds passively track a specific index, limiting the potential for alpha generation and outperformance compared to actively managed funds.

Lack of Flexibility: Investors in index funds cannot benefit from active management strategies such as sector rotation or stock selection, which are crucial for optimizing returns in volatile markets.

Market Volatility: During periods of market volatility, index funds may experience higher drawdowns compared to actively managed funds, posing a risk to capital preservation.

Considering your investment horizon of 4-5 years, a balanced approach with a mix of equity and debt mutual funds may be suitable to achieve good returns while managing risk. By investing systematically and regularly reviewing your portfolio, you can work towards achieving your financial goals effectively.

Remember to consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor an investment strategy that aligns with your specific needs and objectives.

Sir,what is the best secured return where i get monthly pay out into my account for an amount of say 28 lakhs. Can i choose Sriram unnati Fixed deposit (non banking) @ 8.05% for 36 months or FD of Canara bank @ 7.44 % for 444 days. Presently, i am getting 6.88% only in SBI FD Also, if i get some money of say 70 lakh from sale of land, where should i secure invest for the security of my family, where they get recurring income every month with best return.
Ans: Choosing between the Sriram Unnati Fixed Deposit and Canara Bank FD depends on your priorities and risk tolerance:

Sriram Unnati Fixed Deposit: Offers a higher interest rate of 8.05% for 36 months. It provides a relatively higher return but may involve higher risk compared to bank FDs due to being a non-banking institution. You need to ensure thoroughly and research the credibility, repaying capacity and reputation of Sriram Unnati before investing.

Canara Bank FD: Offers a lower interest rate of 7.44% for 444 days but is backed by the safety and security of a nationalized bank. It provides relatively lower returns but offers greater safety and stability.
For the lump sum amount from the sale of land, consider a diversified approach:

Debt Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds, which offer relatively higher returns than traditional bank FDs while maintaining liquidity and stability.

Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): Invest in a mix of debt funds or balanced funds and set up an SWP to receive regular monthly income. This provides flexibility and potentially higher returns than FDs.
Consult with a financial advisor to assess your risk tolerance, financial goals, and investment horizon before making any investment decisions. They can provide personalized recommendations tailored to your needs and help you build a diversified investment portfolio.

Iam 38 and have 20 lakhs as my savings which I want to invest for 1,3,5 and 7 years. Please suggest appropriate as I'm willing to take risk but want good returns.
Ans: Investing with specific time horizons in mind is a smart approach. Here's a suggested investment strategy considering your willingness to take risks and aiming for good returns:

1-Year Investment (Short-term):
Liquid Funds: These funds offer stability and liquidity. They invest in short-term money market instruments. Given your short time horizon, liquid funds would be suitable as they offer better returns than savings accounts and are low-risk.
3-Year Investment (Medium-term):
Short-term Debt Funds or Ultra Short-term Funds: These funds invest in fixed-income securities with a maturity period of 1-3 years. They offer relatively higher returns than liquid funds and are less volatile than equity funds, making them a suitable choice for a 3-year horizon.
5-Year Investment (Medium to Long-term):
Balanced Funds or Hybrid Funds: These funds invest in a mix of equity and debt instruments. They offer potential for higher returns compared to debt funds while providing some cushion against market volatility. This combination could be ideal for a 5-year horizon.
7-Year Investment (Long-term):
Equity Mutual Funds: Given your willingness to take risks and the longer time horizon, equity funds would be appropriate.
Large Cap Funds: These funds invest predominantly in large-cap companies which are relatively stable and offer moderate returns.
Mid & Small Cap Funds: These funds invest in mid and small-cap companies which have the potential to offer higher returns but come with higher volatility.
Multi-Cap Funds: These funds provide diversification across market caps and offer flexibility to capitalize on market opportunities.
General Tips:

Diversification: Spread your investments across different asset classes and fund categories to reduce risk.
Regular Review: Periodically review your investments to ensure they align with your financial goals and adjust as necessary.
Risk Tolerance: While you're willing to take risks, ensure your investments align with your risk tolerance. Remember, higher returns come with higher volatility.
Lastly, it's advisable to consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor this strategy according to your specific financial situation, goals, and risk tolerance. They can provide personalized advice and help you navigate the complexities of investing.

I am minimalist. I am 60 with no physical and mental ailment. I am self dependent and self disciplined. Neither me depending on any one nor any one depending on me. In other words I am single. I have a corpus of 50lacs in mutual fund 70%in balanced fund and 30%in equity. 5 lacs mediclaim and 50 lacs term plan and 25 lacs traditional insurance. No loan (personal loan or Home loan)commitment. I am getting regular income for my survival, and enough for me as minimalist. Now should I need to reshuffle the investment.
Ans: First, let's appreciate your financial discipline and self-reliance. At 60, having no physical or mental ailments and being self-dependent is commendable. Your investment portfolio is well-structured with a Rs. 50 lacs corpus in mutual funds, 70% in balanced funds, and 30% in equity. Additionally, you have Rs. 5 lacs mediclaim, Rs. 50 lacs term plan, and Rs. 25 lacs traditional insurance. No loan commitments are an excellent position to be in, providing peace of mind and financial stability.

Evaluating Your Investment Portfolio
Balanced Funds
Balanced funds are a mix of equity and debt. They provide moderate returns with relatively lower risk. Having 70% of your corpus in balanced funds shows a prudent approach. This allocation ensures you benefit from equity market growth while the debt component offers stability.

Equity Funds
Equity funds, which form 30% of your portfolio, are growth-oriented. They have the potential for higher returns but come with higher risk. Given your age and minimalist lifestyle, this allocation is reasonable, balancing growth potential and risk.

Insurance Policies
Your insurance coverage is comprehensive. The Rs. 5 lacs mediclaim ensures you are covered for medical emergencies. The Rs. 50 lacs term plan provides a safety net for unexpected events. The Rs. 25 lacs traditional insurance adds another layer of financial security.

Possible Adjustments to Your Portfolio
Reviewing Balanced Funds Allocation
While balanced funds offer stability, review their performance regularly. Ensure they align with your financial goals and risk tolerance. If any fund underperforms, consider switching to a better-performing balanced fund.

Assessing Equity Funds
Equity funds are subject to market volatility. Given the current market conditions, it might be wise to review these investments. Ensure the equity funds you hold are actively managed and have a good track record. This can help maximize returns while managing risk.

Traditional Insurance
Traditional insurance plans often offer lower returns compared to mutual funds. However, they provide guaranteed benefits and added security. Given your minimalist lifestyle, keeping this insurance as a safety net is wise.

Investment Strategy Moving Forward
Diversifying your portfolio can reduce risk and improve returns. Consider adding different types of mutual funds, like debt funds, to your portfolio. This can offer better stability and steady returns.

Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio. This ensures your investments remain aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. A certified financial planner can assist with this process, providing expert advice and insights.

Health Insurance Coverage
Your Rs. 5 lacs mediclaim is crucial. However, with rising healthcare costs, consider enhancing this cover. Additional health insurance can provide better coverage and peace of mind.

Financial Goals and Time Horizon
Clearly define your financial goals and investment time horizon. This helps in choosing the right investment options and strategies. Given your minimalist lifestyle, your focus might be on preserving capital and ensuring a steady income.

Benefits of Professional Advice
Expertise and Insights
A certified financial planner offers expert advice, helping you make informed decisions. They provide insights into market trends, investment options, and financial planning strategies.

Personalized Financial Plan
A certified financial planner creates a personalized financial plan. This plan is tailored to your financial goals, risk tolerance, and lifestyle needs.

Regular Monitoring and Adjustments
Financial planners monitor your portfolio regularly. They make necessary adjustments to ensure your investments remain aligned with your goals.

Peace of Mind
Having a professional manage your investments provides peace of mind. You can focus on enjoying your life, knowing your finances are in good hands.

Your current financial situation is commendable. With a well-structured investment portfolio, comprehensive insurance coverage, and no loan commitments, you are in a strong position. Regularly reviewing and adjusting your investments can help ensure continued financial stability.

Consider seeking the advice of a certified financial planner to optimize your portfolio. They can provide expert guidance, helping you make the most of your investments and achieve your financial goals. Your minimalist lifestyle and disciplined approach are key strengths. Continue leveraging them to maintain and grow your financial health.

Sir I am 48 and qant to retire by 55. I have 62 lakhs in Mutual funds (SIP) with monthly investment of rs 40000/month . PF corpus of 40 lakhs , PPF of 25lakhs , fixed property one 3BHK & One 2BHK , 5 acres crop land . I want 1.5lakhs /month post retirement . Your advice please
Ans: Retirement planning is essential for a comfortable and stress-free life. At 48, you have a solid foundation, but it is crucial to refine your strategy to ensure your retirement goals are met. Let’s delve into various aspects to create a robust plan.

Current Financial Snapshot
You have Rs 62 lakhs in mutual funds through SIPs, investing Rs 40,000 monthly. This is a strong base and indicates a disciplined approach to wealth creation.

Provident Fund
Your PF corpus of Rs 40 lakhs adds a significant cushion to your retirement fund. PF is a stable and low-risk investment, ensuring consistent growth.

Public Provident Fund
With Rs 25 lakhs in PPF, you have another reliable source of tax-free returns. PPF is an excellent long-term investment with good compounding benefits.

Real Estate
Owning a 3BHK and a 2BHK, along with 5 acres of crop land, provides tangible assets. While real estate offers security, consider its liquidity and maintenance costs.

Retirement Income Needs
Monthly Requirement
You aim for Rs 1.5 lakhs per month post-retirement. This amount should cover your living expenses, healthcare, and leisure activities.

Actively Managed Funds: Actively managed funds outperform index funds over time. They provide the advantage of professional management, aiming for higher returns. This approach ensures better alignment with market conditions.

Regular Funds vs. Direct Funds: Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), offer personalized advice. The expertise of a CFP helps in navigating market complexities and adjusting the portfolio as needed.

Provident Fund and PPF
Consistency and Growth: Continue investing in PF and PPF to ensure steady growth and tax benefits. These funds provide stability to your retirement corpus.

Balanced Portfolio: Maintain a balanced portfolio with a mix of equity and debt. This balance mitigates risks and ensures steady growth. Diversify across various sectors and asset classes.

Crop Land
Agricultural Income: Utilize your crop land for consistent agricultural income. Explore sustainable farming practices or leasing options to maximize returns.

Future Value: Estimate the future value of your current investments. Regular reviews and adjustments by a CFP will help achieve your target corpus. Ensure your investments grow to meet your post-retirement needs.

Adjusting Investment Strategy
Increasing SIPs
Boost SIP Contributions: Consider increasing your SIP contributions gradually. This will enhance your mutual fund corpus over time, ensuring better returns.

Exploring New Avenues
Equity Funds: Allocate a portion of your portfolio to high-performing equity funds. Equities have the potential for higher returns, aiding in building a substantial corpus.

Debt Funds: Include debt funds for stability and regular income. Debt funds balance the risk-return equation, providing a safety net against market volatility.

Regular Reviews
Annual Check-ups: Conduct annual reviews of your portfolio with a CFP. Regular assessments ensure your investments are on track and aligned with your goals.

Healthcare and Emergency Fund
Comprehensive Coverage: Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance coverage. Healthcare costs can be significant, and insurance protects your savings.

Accessible Savings: Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be easily accessible for unforeseen situations.

Lifestyle and Expenses
Cost of Living
Inflation Adjustment: Factor in inflation while planning your post-retirement expenses. Ensure your corpus can sustain your lifestyle for the long term.

Lifestyle Choices
Budget Planning: Plan your budget to include leisure activities and hobbies. A well-balanced life post-retirement contributes to overall happiness and well-being.

Efficient Tax Management
Tax-saving Instruments: Utilize tax-saving instruments to minimize tax liabilities. Investments in PPF, ELSS, and other tax-saving schemes help in efficient tax planning.

Withdrawals and Taxes
Planned Withdrawals: Plan your withdrawals from various investments to minimize tax impact. Consult with a CFP for tax-efficient withdrawal strategies.

Estate Planning
Will and Testament
Legal Documentation: Ensure you have a will in place. Proper estate planning ensures your assets are distributed according to your wishes.

Nomination and Succession
Clear Nominations: Review and update nominations for all your investments. Clear succession planning avoids legal complications and ensures smooth asset transfer.

Certified Financial Planner
Expert Advice: Engage with a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice. A CFP provides comprehensive financial planning, helping you achieve your retirement goals.

Regular Consultations
Ongoing Support: Regular consultations with your CFP ensure your plan adapts to changing circumstances. Continuous support helps in making informed decisions.

Planning for retirement is a continuous journey. You have a strong foundation with your current investments. Regular contributions, diversified portfolio, and professional guidance are key. Ensure your investments align with your goals, providing a secure and comfortable retirement.

Hi Sir/Madam, I am 37 years old government employee. I have a wife, 4 years old son and 3 years old daughter. I don't have any investment. Please advise good portfolio for mutual fund considering 30K available at hand for investment till retirement @60years. Thanks
Ans: Let's understand your situation better. You are 37, a government employee, with a wife, a 4-year-old son, and a 3-year-old daughter. You have Rs 30,000 monthly to invest until retirement at 60. Your main goals are likely to secure your children's education, build a retirement corpus, and ensure financial stability.

Why Mutual Funds?
Mutual funds offer diversification, professional management, and potential for good returns. They're a solid choice for long-term goals like retirement and children's education.

Asset Allocation Strategy
Asset allocation is key. It balances risk and return. At 37, with a long-term horizon, you can afford a higher allocation in equities. Here's a suggested breakdown:

Equity Mutual Funds (70%): For growth.
Debt Mutual Funds (20%): For stability.
Hybrid Funds (10%): For balanced growth and stability.
Equity funds invest in stocks. They offer high growth potential. Given your age and goals, focus on:

Large-Cap Funds: For stability and steady growth.
Mid-Cap Funds: For higher growth potential with moderate risk.
Small-Cap Funds: For aggressive growth but higher risk.
Diversifying across these categories reduces risk.

Debt funds invest in fixed-income securities. They provide stability and lower risk. Consider:

Short-Term Debt Funds: Less sensitive to interest rate changes.
Corporate Bond Funds: Offer higher returns than government bonds.
Liquid Funds: For emergency funds, as they are highly liquid.
Hybrid Funds
Hybrid funds combine equity and debt. They offer balanced risk and return. Suitable types include:

Aggressive Hybrid Funds: Higher equity component.
Balanced Hybrid Funds: Equal mix of equity and debt.
Investing through SIPs is a disciplined approach. It averages out market volatility. With Rs 30,000, you can allocate SIPs across different funds:

Large-Cap Fund: Rs 10,000
Mid-Cap Fund: Rs 7,000
Small-Cap Fund: Rs 4,000
Debt Fund: Rs 5,000
Hybrid Fund: Rs 4,000
Rebalancing Your Portfolio
Regular rebalancing is crucial. It maintains your desired asset allocation. Review your portfolio annually. Shift profits from high-performing assets to underperforming ones.

Tax Efficiency
Mutual funds offer tax benefits. Equity funds held for over a year are subject to long-term capital gains tax (LTCG) at 10% for gains above Rs 1 lakh. Debt funds held for over three years benefit from indexation, reducing tax liability.

Maintain an emergency fund. It should cover 6-12 months of expenses. Use liquid funds for this. They're accessible and offer better returns than savings accounts.

Children's Education
Consider investing in dedicated children's funds. They provide for education expenses. Start SIPs in equity funds with a long-term horizon. Use debt funds for short-term needs.

Focus on building a substantial retirement corpus. Your monthly SIPs in equity and hybrid funds will grow over time. As you near retirement, gradually shift to more debt funds to preserve capital.

Diversify to manage risk. Avoid putting all your money in one type of fund. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio based on performance and changing goals.

Avoid Common Pitfalls
Avoid Timing the Market: It's risky and often unprofitable. Stick to your SIPs.
Don't Panic During Market Volatility: Stay invested for the long term.
Avoid Over-diversification: Too many funds can dilute returns and complicate management.
Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They provide personalized advice, aligning with your goals and risk tolerance.

You're making a wise decision by planning your investments. It's commendable to think about your family's future and your retirement. This proactive approach will pay off in the long run.

We understand that starting investments can be daunting. It's natural to feel uncertain. With a clear plan and consistent approach, you'll build a secure financial future for your family.

Investing Rs 30,000 monthly in mutual funds is a solid strategy. Diversify across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. Use SIPs for disciplined investing. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio. Maintain an emergency fund and plan for children's education and retirement. Avoid common pitfalls and seek professional guidance when needed. You're on the right path to a secure financial future.